PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Ruthless Inquisitor (Cleric PP - PEACH)

Hzurr
2010-03-30, 03:12 PM
Hi, below is a Paragon Path that one of my players came up with. Essentially, he missed the ability from 3.5 that allowed evil and neutral clerics to inflict wounds the same way that good clerics could heal wounds. Here's what he came up with:

---------------

Ruthless Inquisitor
“Before I leave, you will tell me everything…”
Prerequisite: Cleric class, trained in Insight, healing word class feature, any non-good alignment

You have been charged by your order to flush out the heretics that corrupt the faith from within. Set apart from the mainstream worshippers, you set about your unpleasant business. Using unconventional methods and brutal tactics you coerce vital information from dissenters and compel them to recant their heathen ways. Lying is not beneath you if it nets you the information you need or gets you closer to the leader of a heretical group, neither is beating a confession out of some one.

Ruthless Inquisitor Path Features
Inflict Serious Wounds (11th level): You gain the inflict wounds power. You must expend a use of healing word to use this power.

Inflict Serious Wounds
Sometimes pain can loosen even the tightest of tongues.
Encounter (Special) ♦ Divine
Minor Action Melee touch
Target: One creature
Effect: The target takes 4d6 damage. Increase the damage dealt to 5d6 at 16th level, 6d6 at 21st level, and 7d6 at 26th level.
Special: You must expend a use of your healing word class feature to use this power. You can use this power only once a round.

I Want the Truth (11th level): You are trained in Bluff and Intimidate. In addition, you gain a +5 bonus to any skill check made in conjunction with rituals of the Divination category, as well as the Speak with Dead ritual.

Interrogating Action (11th level): You can spend an action point to gain a +5 bonus to your next Insight or Intimidate check, instead of taking another action.

Biting Remark (16th level): Add your Wisdom modifier to the damage dealt by inflict serious wounds. In addition, when you use inflict serious wounds, you gain a +2 bonus to the next Bluff, Insight, or Intimidate
check you make before the end of your next turn.

Ruthless Inquisitor Prayers

Rack and Ruin - Ruthless Inquisitor Attack 11
A spectral rack stretches your foe and inflicts unimaginable pain until he repents.
Encounter ♦ Divine, Implement, Psychic
Standard Action Ranged 5
Attack: Wisdom vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + Wisdom modifier psychic damage. The target is dazed, immobilized and takes ongoing 5 psychic damage (save ends both).

Tormenting Gaze Ruthless Inquisitor Utility 12
Your excruciating stare can compel even the most stubborn to shut their eyes.
Daily ♦ Divine, Fear, Implement, Stance
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, once per round as a minor action you can make a Wisdom vs. Will attack against one enemy within 10 squares of you. If the attack hits, the target is blinded until the end of its next turn.

Purge the Heretic Ruthless Inquisitor Attack 20
With a swift prayer to your god you blast your enemy with divine fire.
Daily ♦ Divine, Fire, Implement, RadiantStandard Action Ranged 5
Attack: Wisdom vs. Fortitude
Hit: 4d8 + Wisdom modifier fire and radiant damage. You push the target a number of squares equal to 2 + your Charisma modifier, and it is dazed (save ends).
Miss: Half damage; you push the target 2 squares, and it is dazed until the end of its next turn.

------------------------

DiscipleofBob
2010-03-30, 10:04 PM
A few things I can see off the top of my head.

Remove the non-good alignment restriction. It's really not necessary, and this PP can make sense for a good-aligned character (think Jack Bauer-esque paladin, not that I'm suggesting Jack Bauer is a good guy mind you).

I don't think any other PP gets free trained skills as a class feature. This seems like it would be imbalanced, since it either means the cleric becomes a better skill monkey than any other class, or, if the cleric already had said skills (which is likely if this is the concept they're going for) it becomes a waste of a class feature. A flat-out +2 bonus for Bluff and Intimidate would be better.

The encounter power is pretty powerful. Daze and immobilize is a very powerful combination, I'd suggest toning it down to one or the other.

Your utility power is not a utility power. Utility powers do not have attack rolls, they have some other effect. For the same fluff, I suggest something like whenever the Inquisitor gets damaged by a melee attack, the attacker gets blinded until the end of the Inquisitor's next turn.

The daily is fine. Ironically, if anything I'd say it's just a tad underpowered since daily 20's are supposed to be ridiculous in power.

Otogi
2010-03-30, 10:38 PM
Remove the non-good alignment restriction. It's really not necessary, and this PP can make sense for a good-aligned character (think Jack Bauer-esque paladin, not that I'm suggesting Jack Bauer is a good guy mind you).

Doesn't that just justify the restriction?

Orsik Vondal
2010-03-31, 09:42 AM
A few things I can see off the top of my head.

I don't think any other PP gets free trained skills as a class feature. This seems like it would be imbalanced, since it either means the cleric becomes a better skill monkey than any other class, or, if the cleric already had said skills (which is likely if this is the concept they're going for) it becomes a waste of a class feature. A flat-out +2 bonus for Bluff and Intimidate would be better.

The paladin PP-Gray Guard from Divine Power gives you training in Perception and Streetwise, two skills a pally is not normally trained in, so there is precedent.

And what if you changed the lvl 12 utility to "Whenever you hit with a divine at-will attack power, the target is also blinded until the end of its/your next turn." It would make this power like a lot of other utility stances that grant benefits when you succeed on an attack.