PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How does I Sacred Exorcist?

Zovc
2010-03-30, 03:48 PM
I understand that Sacred Exorcist is a 'nice' prestige class if only because it has a full casting progression. If I'm not mistaken, though, most people only dip into it with classes to gain access to Turn Undead.

I'm brewing a Hellbred (Spirit) Sorceror right now, and Sacred Exorcist fits flavorfully. If anything, I'll take the one-level dip at some point in time--what are some things I can use turn undead for as a sorcerer?

How much Sacred Exorcist is too much, and what is a good way to meet its requirements as a Sorcerer?

Glimbur
2010-03-30, 04:00 PM
Check out the [Divine] feats from Complete Divine, and Devotion Feats from Complete Champion. They turn turn attempts into murder at various rates. Sadly, you can't use Divine Metamagic as a sorcerer... at least without shenanigans.

Ernir
2010-03-30, 04:05 PM
There ain't no such thing as too much SExorcist. At least if you're a Cha-based Gish who needs to finish off the BAB/CL progression.
As a standard choice, meh.

The Education feat gives you all knowledge skills as class skills. That, combined with simply taking Dismissal as a Sorcerer spell = you qualify easily.
You can avoid spending the feat on Education by dipping some other PrC that gets all knowledge skills (or at least the ones you need) for a while before getting into the Sacred Exorcist.

If the CDiv errata isn't in effect at your table, you can use your Turn attempts on Divine Metamagic. If it is, Devotion feats and Divine feats are the way to go.

Zovc
2010-03-30, 04:12 PM
There ain't no such thing as too much SExorcist. At least if you're a Cha-based Gish who needs to finish off the BAB/CL progression.
As a standard choice, meh.

Yeah, I was noticing that I could 'benefit' from 3/4 BAB progression for at least four levels, I suppose getting some class features would be better than none, and continuing d8 and 3/4 BAB would be superior to being a sorcerer until I found another PRC.

The Education feat gives you all knowledge skills as class skills. That, combined with simply taking Dismissal as a Sorcerer spell = you qualify easily.
You can avoid spending the feat on Education by dipping some other PrC that gets all knowledge skills (or at least the ones you need) for a while before getting into the Sacred Exorcist.

I haven't tied up any feats yet, and as much as I don't want to use a feat on that, it may be worth it. What other PRCs could help me qualify for Sacred Exorcist as far as skills are concerned?

10 ranks in Knowledge (the Planes), and 7 in (Religion)... that sounds brutal. :X

Keld Denar
2010-03-30, 04:26 PM
More SacEx is better than more Sorcerer. What other PrCs are you going for? Maybe a little Fatespinner? Some Archmage?

Basically, I'd do at least 4 levels. Those for levels get you d8 HD, full casting, 3/4 BAB, and most importantly, Dispel Evil 1/week as a SLA. This is good, not because Dispel Evil 1/week is sooooooo amazing, but because it fulfuls the PrCs requirement of being able to cast Dispel Evil or Dismissal. This allows you to repick Dismissal into a more useful spell when you level.

Thats said, there is nothing wrong with picking up another 4 levels of it. They are pretty decent, given that they are 3/4 BAB and d8 HD with some ok special abilities.

Zovc
2010-03-30, 04:36 PM
Well, I really like Abjurant Champion, but I don't want to give up a level of casting progression, nor do I really want to give up a feat to become proficient with a Martial Weapon. Sacred Exorcist definitely helps me get my BAB up faster than I would as a Sorcerer.

I'm looking at other prestige classes right now to see what I can find.

Side note: I see that Alienist has every knowledge skill as a class skill--it could be a platform for skill point dumpage, not that I particularly like the class' flavor.

marjan
2010-03-30, 04:50 PM
Well, I really like Abjurant Champion, but I don't want to give up a level of casting progression, nor do I really want to give up a feat to become proficient with a Martial Weapon.

Being elf, Stalwart Sorceror or Battle Sorceror will get you martial weapon proficiency, though you still need to waste feat on Combat Casting.

Zovc
2010-03-30, 05:06 PM
A quick look through various things yielded this:

The following prestige classes piqued my interest--at least their first level advances my sorcerer casting.

-CDiv-
Sacred Exorcist

-CMag-
Abjurant Champion

-CArc-
Alienist
Blood Magus
Fatespinner?
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil?
Mindbender (any nongood)?*
Wayfarer Guide?

-SRD-
Archmage
Loremaster?

*While I intend to be neutral good, Hellbred are supposed to be able to do evil things (like, cast [evil] spells and use evil items) without penalty--I could possibly use that as leverage to dip into Mindbender.

Last Laugh
2010-03-30, 05:10 PM
Being a sorcerer you can take Draconic Heritage (RoDr) and Draconic Knowledge (DrM) giving you +2 to all knowledge checks and all knowledge skills as class skills.
There is an alternate feature for dragonblood sorcerers that gives you Draconic Heritage instead of your familiar (Obtain Familiar would you help you more anyways) giving you all knowledge skills from level 1

Zovc
2010-03-30, 05:19 PM
Being a sorcerer you can take Draconic Heritage (RoDr) and Draconic Knowledge (DrM) giving you +2 to all knowledge checks and all knowledge skills as class skills.
There is an alternate feature for dragonblood sorcerers that gives you Draconic Heritage instead of your familiar (Obtain Familiar would you help you more anyways) giving you all knowledge skills from level 1

What would qualify me as a Dragonblood Sorcerer?

As far as Abjurant Champion is concerned, Ruathar in Races of the Wild could qualify me... it would be a flavorful stretch, but just living the typical Hellbred life could potentially cause one to become a Ruathar. XD

Godskook
2010-03-30, 06:10 PM
Abjurant Champion? Sacred Exorcist?

You my friend need to be introduced to the Sorcadin:

Paladin 2/Sorc 4/Spellsword 1/AbCh 5/Sacred Exorcist 8

With Cha to saves and the ability to get it to attack, damage, and AC, you're in good shape. It might be too combat focused for your tastes, but worth knowing about with the PrC you're looking at. You can also get most of your skill qualifications without buying them cross class, making this fairly efficient.

Zovc
2010-03-30, 06:19 PM
Just some quick math before I am off to dinner, in case this inspires anyone:

Sorcerer 5 puts me at...
Level 5 casting, naturally.
+2 Base Attack Bonus
8*(2+int) Skill points (I think...)
>Ruathar is qualified for by 9 ranks in [Skill].
Level 1 feat, Level 3 feat, Level 5 feat.
Level 4 attribute point.
4+4d4+(5Con) hp.

Ruathar 3 puts me at...
Level 8 casting.
+4 Base Attack Bonus (+1 shy of Abjurant Champ)
3*(4+int) Skill points, spendable in a lot of skills (Including Knowledge (Any, separate)!)
>If I have enough leftover from Sorcerer levels, I believe I can qualify for Sacred Exoricst.
Level 8 feat, also proficiency with a longsword, rapier, longbow, or shortbow.
Level 8 attribute point.
3d6+(3Con) hp.

Sacred Exorcist X into Abjurant Champion Y?

Cap it all off with a few levels of Archmage?

Last Laugh
2010-03-30, 06:38 PM
What would qualify me as a Dragonblood Sorcerer?

I don't know that there is a way besides burning a feat. (If you wanna be hellbred, otherwise silverbrow human/dragonborn)
I guess you could just get draconic heritage and draconic knowledge the hard way.
If your DM is allowing flaws this is less of an issue, You might want to drop your familiar for immediate metamagic(? PhB II, but that might be the wizard feature)

Also you are wrong about qualifying for Rauthar. (You're right but you can't do it)
You need to wait until Character level 6 before you get 9 ranks in any skill.

Zovc
2010-03-30, 11:49 PM
Also you are wrong about qualifying for Rauthar. (You're right but you can't do it)
You need to wait until Character level 6 before you get 9 ranks in any skill.

Then, at level 6, I'll meet the casting prerequisite anyways, although I'd likely have 9 ranks in concentration anyways.

...and Godskook, it's hard to be the party's main arcanist at level 1 being a Paladin. Even if I take Sorcerer first, I'll eventually slow my casting down and that seems pretty unacceptable as a sorcerer.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-31, 09:03 AM
How does I Sacred Exorcist?With LOLcats, of course.

marjan
2010-03-31, 09:37 AM
Then, at level 6, I'll meet the casting prerequisite anyways, although I'd likely have 9 ranks in concentration anyways.

You could take Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell and qualify at level 4. Then retrain them at level 6 and 7, if your DM allows such tricks.

Godskook
2010-03-31, 09:42 AM
...and Godskook, it's hard to be the party's main arcanist at level 1 being a Paladin. Even if I take Sorcerer first, I'll eventually slow my casting down and that seems pretty unacceptable as a sorcerer.

Well yeah, as the primary, a Sorcadin would be pretty hard to play.

Zherog
2010-03-31, 09:49 AM
Just some quick math before I am off to dinner, in case this inspires anyone:

Sorcerer 5 puts me at...
>Ruathar is qualified for by 9 ranks in [Skill].

You can't have 9 ranks in a skill at level 5. The max is 8.

Level 1 feat, Level 3 feat, Level 5 feat.

Barring house rules (or Pathfinder) there's no feat at 5th level; it comes at 6th.

marjan
2010-03-31, 10:02 AM
You can't have 9 ranks in a skill at level 5. The max is 8.

You can, by burning 2 feats(Favored Contract, Primary Contract IIRC their names).

Zherog
2010-03-31, 10:22 AM
You can, by burning 2 feats(Favored Contract, Primary Contract IIRC their names).

I'm not familiar with those feats. Where are they? Can you share the piece of text that allows breaking the max skill ranks limit?

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-31, 12:05 PM
Well, I really like Abjurant Champion, but I don't want to give up a level of casting progression, nor do I really want to give up a feat to become proficient with a Martial Weapon. Sacred Exorcist definitely helps me get my BAB up faster than I would as a Sorcerer.

If you get a custom Legacy Item, you can qualify for Abjurant Champion without too much of an investment. Just have it give you a free Martial Weapon Proficiency.

If that won't fly, the Dragonslayer in the Draconomicon gives Martial Weapon Proficiency and is relatively easy to enter. Just go Sorcerer 6/Any full casting PrC 4 (Alienist will work just fine here)/Sacred Exorcist 3/Dragonslayer 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Alienist +1.

marjan
2010-03-31, 02:14 PM
I'm not familiar with those feats. Where are they? Can you share the piece of text that allows breaking the max skill ranks limit?

They're feats from Cityscape and it's Primary Contact and Favored(I made mistake there). They allow you to exceed max skill rank by one for one skill.

Zherog
2010-03-31, 02:36 PM
Thanks! I have that book, so I'll check them out later.

Zovc
2010-03-31, 03:16 PM
You could take Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell and qualify at level 4. Then retrain them at level 6 and 7, if your DM allows such tricks.

Where is Versatile Spellcaster?
Sorc 6/Ruathar 3/
9(2+int) + 3(4+int) skill points...
Assuming Int is +0, I get 18 points from Sorcerer and 12 from Ruathar.
30 points - 17 (Sacred Exorcist) puts me with 13 points left.

I could probably jump straight from Ruathar 1 into Sacred Exorcist, I'd just have to save up nearly all of my skill points (foregoing concentration, although I probably would have combat casting by this point! XD). The end result would be something like this...

Sorc 6/Ruathar 1/Sacred Exorcist 4/Abjurant Champion 4
That's 15 levels, where sould I go next?
(Yes, my BAB is only +10 by now, but I have a lot more hit points than I would otherwise have, and I could get +3 with a full progression over three levels if I really wanted.)

Edit: Math Phail. 3+3+4 is 10.

Martial Arcanist is going to be useless to this build as far as I can see--not taking the fifth level of Abjurant Champion might let me do other cool stuff.

sofawall
2010-03-31, 03:25 PM
They allow you to exceed max skill rank by one for one skill.

For one level.