PDA

View Full Version : TOB Monster "The Beast King" PEACH

LunarWolfPrime
2010-03-30, 04:24 PM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/mjbmeister/SGXL8t8soCI/AAAAAAAAH-g/KW1utVZ8c6E/s288/saber-tooth-tiger-cartoon-1.jpg
Beast King
Neutral Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 9d10+ 63 (131hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
AC: 22 (-1 size, +5 Dex, +8 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +19/+27
Attack: Claws +19 melee
Full Attack: 2 claws +19 melee and Bite +19 melee
Damage: Bite 2d6+5/x3, claws 1d6+10/X3
Space: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Special Attacks: Maneuvers, Stances, Augmented critical claws,Augmented critical bite, improved grab, pounce, rake 1d6+5, rend 2d6+ 15, Fury Of The Beast King, DR 15 / Magic, Improved Evasion, Improved Uncanny Dodge and SR 24.
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +11, Will +4
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 20, Con 24, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills: Balance +5,Climb + 18, Hide +13, Jump +30, Listen +5, Move Silently +13, Spot +5, Survival +18
Feats: Track ( B ), Run ( B ), Improved critical (claws), Power Attack, Multiattack and Improved Multiattack
Climate/Terrain: Warm forest and Warm plains
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 17
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 10-30 HD (Large)

Maneuvers (Ex)

A Beast King has knowledge of several martial maneuvers from the Tiger Claw disciplines. It may ready all four of its known maneuvers at one time. It has an initiator level of 9th. As a swift action, it may regain all of its expended maneuvers, although it cannot initiate any in the same round. It may change its readied maneuvers by meditating for five minutes. For every additional HD it gains, its initiator level increases by one, and it learns an additional maneuver for every 2 HD it gains. For every three HD it gains, it gains an additional maneuver readied.

Typical Manuevers Known:
Sudden Leap, Claw at the Moon, Flesh Ripper, and Death from Above

Stances (Ex)
A Beast King has knowledge of several martial stances from the Tiger Claw disciplines. It can change stances as a swift action. For every five additional HD it gains, it learns and additional stance.

Typical Stances Known:
Blood In The Water

Augmented Critical (Ex)

The Beast King bite threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 18-20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical hit.

Augmented Critical (Ex)

The Beast King claws threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 18-20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical hit.

Spell Resistance (Ex)
HD + 15 in SR

Improved Grab (Ex)

To use this ability, a Beast King must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can rake.

Pounce (Ex)

If a Beast King charges, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

Rake (Ex)

Attack bonus +19 melee, damage 1d6+5.

Rend (Ex)

A Beast King that hits with two claw attacks latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an extra 2d6+15 points of damage.

Fury Of The Beast King (Ex)
Once per day per 3 HD, an Beast King can enter a state of fierce rage that last for 12 rounds. The following changes are in effect as long as he rages: AC 20 (touch 12, flat-footed 15); hp +149; Atk +21 melee Claws (1d6+12) Atk +21 Bite (2d6+6) Atk +21 Rake (1d6+6) Rend (2d6+18); SV Fort +11, Will +6; Str 34, Con 28; Climb +12, Jump +33. At the end of it's rage, the Beast King is fatigued for the duration of the encounter.

Improved Evasion (Ex)

As in the PHB

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex)

As in the PHB

Powerful Build (Ex)
The physical stature of Beast King lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.

Whenever a Beast King is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Beast King is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to it.

Fast Healing (Ex)
Fast healing 10

A Beast King as a +8 racial bonus to Climb, Jump, Hide, Move Silently, and Survival checks.

A Beast King as a +4 racial bonus to Spot and Listen checks.

(Fluff and Advanced specs to come....)

Mulletmanalive
2010-03-30, 04:38 PM
I like the idea.

Up the Con a little, Drop the range on bite to 19-20 and drop the multiplier on the claws to x2.

I'm presuming that it's a level 9 initiator so i'm wondering about the severely limited spread of stances...and the fact that the manoeuvres all seem relatively low level [though i'm not that familiar with the lists]

DracoDei
2010-03-30, 04:41 PM
Needs fluff before I could say much.

It may ready all four of its known maneuvers at one time.
So one readied or four?

You have Augmented Critical twice.

Technically you never state how many maneuvers and stances the base version knows.

LunarWolfPrime
2010-03-30, 06:28 PM
It can ready ready 4 I am sorry about that.

An it is meant to be the totem animal of the Tiger Claw style and hence the augment crit's.

I may drop the one off of bite.

An how much more should I bump up the con score?

Mulletmanalive
2010-03-31, 01:35 PM
In order to be effective, they don't have to be able to oneshot their enemies, they just need to be able to make a bunch of attacks with a high chance of causing a crit to power their Stance.

Having them deal as much damage as they do in one place with every crit means that they'll get basically no play from their Stance. Ideally, they should be basically magic proof and possessing both a decent Dodge assisted defence and a good number of HP.

I'd say on Con that it should have no fewer than +7 when it has a +10 strength [while strength scores are often needlessly high, having them outstrip the con by that much is silly, as with the giant centipedes].

Admiral Squish
2010-03-31, 01:45 PM
This name made me think this would be something significantly bigger and meaner. I mean, beast KING. I was picturing like a CR 20 animal-man with the best abilities of all the animals ever.

LunarWolfPrime
2010-03-31, 03:39 PM
I was considering giving it Improved Evasion and Improved Uncanny dodge and a higher dex score. I thought about giving it Powerful build as well but I don't want it to be to over powered.

Knaight
2010-03-31, 11:21 PM
I would aim for CR 11 like you have, it works for a Beast King, and is much better than the CR 20 monstrosity I was expecting. Plus it works as such in an E6 campaign, so there is that. Stat wise, boost Dex to 20, give it some spell resistance. The AC needs to go up given the level, maybe another 4 natural armor on top of the dex, although higher dex lower armor would work better, and some DR would be nice, though nothing exceptional. DR 15/Magic maybe, which at least prevents a bunch of bow wielding peasants from taking it down.

AslanCross
2010-04-01, 12:02 AM
Shouldn't this be in Homebrew?

Rend typically deals double the claw attack plus Strength bonus x1.5. See the MM entries on trolls. (So in your case it should be 2d6+15)

LunarWolfPrime
2010-04-01, 08:45 PM
Ok I think I got everything in right.

I think the CR may be off.

If any one can tell me if it is or not pls do.

LunarWolfPrime
2010-04-03, 06:48 PM
BUMP:smallbiggrin:

LunarWolfPrime
2010-04-12, 08:07 AM
BUMP:smallwink:

The Tygre
2010-04-12, 01:12 PM
CR seems kind of high for 9 HD, even with all the bells and whistles.

LunarWolfPrime
2010-04-13, 04:01 PM
I think that the only thing I got wrong is the cr.