PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Anti-Magic Field Rebalance.

ZerglingOne
2010-03-30, 05:01 PM
It is often accepted by many that this 6th level spell carries too much power for its level. I mean, you just wave your finger at level 13 and your fighter buddy can suddenly take down an epic level caster (barring disjunction or some other super high level dispel) with ease. This rebalance of the spell attempts to combat something stupid like that from ever happening again.
Anti-Magic Field
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 6, Clr 8, Magic 6, Protection 6
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10 ft
Area:20 foot emanation centered on you (beefed up from 10)
Duration: 10 min/level
Saving Throw: None
SR: Special

When this spell is cast, an invisible, intangible barrier is thrown around the caster that attempts to stop and suppress all magic from working in the affected area. The user rolls 1d20 and adds it to her level to determine the DC of any magic effect working in the area, this will also be what is required to dispel the field using Mordenkainen's Disjunction.

Spellcasters that attempt to fire spells into or out of the field are allowed to make a caster level check (caster level + 1d20) for each spell they try to cast to overcome its effects.
Spells or effects that ignore spell resistance may freely enter the field, but if the user/caster is inside the field, the normal casting rules for being inside apply.
All spells(buffs) currently affecting someone are entitled to just one caster check (caster level(of the buffer) + 1d20). If this check succeeds, they all persist, if the check fails, they are suppressed for however long the affected stay in the field. If buffed by two or more people, only use the higher level caster's level.
Summoned creatures and incorporeal undead are entitled to a hit dice check (HD + 1d20) to overcome the effect, if they fail, they wink out while in the area affected by the field, if they succeed, they are unaffected by the current casting of the field.
If a creature with spell resistance greater than the initial caster check enters the area, they, any equipment they are wearing, and any spells they attempt to cast are unaffected.
Magic items are entitled to a caster level check to overcome the field's effects, if they succeed, they are unaffected by this casting of the field, if they fail, they become mundane versions of themselves for as long as they're in the field. Artifacts are unaffected entirely.

Essentially it imparts a good deal (or a very little deal if the roll is low) of spell resistance upon the area instead of blocking everything magical entirely. As for the original, make it a 9th level spell called Dead Zone that prevents all but the strongest magic from working. Like Disjunction has a chance to destroy artifacts, give artifacts a chance to not work inside of it. Even stop SR-proof things from affecting it, like if created by magic, it cannot enter. Thanks for reading.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-30, 05:04 PM
Personally in the past I just impressed that a some point they may face a demi-god foe at high levels who would be immune to an anti-magic fields effects. And as long as they never cast anti-magic field I can pretend the spell doesn't exist.

Works fairly well.

ZerglingOne
2010-03-30, 05:08 PM
Personally in the past I just impressed that a some point they may face a demi-god foe at high levels who would be immune to an anti-magic fields effects. And as long as they never cast anti-magic field I can pretend the spell doesn't exist.

Works fairly well.

Yeah, well with the original use, said demi-god is probably going to have some epicly long reach (15 or more feet) and would thus be completely unaffected by the spell's meager 10 foot radius anyway.

FishAreWet
2010-03-30, 05:08 PM
It is often accepted by many that this 6th level spell carries too much power for its level. I mean, you just wave your finger at level 13 and your fighter buddy can suddenly take down an epic level caster (barring disjunction or some other super high level dispel) with ease. This rebalance of the spell attempts to combat something stupid like that from ever happening again.I'm sorry that's just preposterously not true. Even assuming the fighter can GET there, the wizard can still cast in AMFs with the rights feats and spells. And jesus christ if he's an epic spellcaster everyone can just go home.

this makes spellcasters stronger. I am ridiculously against this.

ZerglingOne
2010-03-30, 05:11 PM
I'm sorry that's just preposterously not true. Even assuming the fighter can GET there, the wizard can still cast in AMFs with the rights feats and spells. And jesus christ if he's an epic spellcaster everyone can just go home.

this makes spellcasters stronger. I am ridiculously against this.

Care to explain your stance? And besides, the epic level spellcaster part I put in there was for exaggeration.

FishAreWet
2010-03-30, 05:18 PM
There are already ways around an AMF. IoM, Invoke Magic, IHS...*

Making them weak enough for everyone to cast in with no investment is simply making spellcasting a stronger option.

*ahah they're all Is...

ZerglingOne
2010-03-30, 05:22 PM
There are already ways around an AMF. IoM, Invoke Magic, IHS...*

Making them weak enough for everyone to cast in with no investment is simply making spellcasting a stronger option.

*ahah they're all Is...

While this may be true to an extent, it also makes level mean something to an AMF, and if there are workarounds anyway, what difference does it make? Keep in mind, this can also screw over a magic user unable to overcome their own AMF while someone with magical equipment that made a successful check rips their face off.

Edit: also, if they were going to use it as a strictly defensive maneuver, I would prefer the spell resistance spell over this, or energy immunity if facing a blaster.

Edit edit: Yay new oots.

FishAreWet
2010-03-30, 05:42 PM
SR and energy immunity only protect against a fraction of spells. And do nothing to stop buffs.

the difference it makes? it's one less feat a caster is going to take. they already hardly need it.

lesser_minion
2010-03-30, 06:37 PM
While I partly approve of the idea of weakening anti-magic field based on the principle of "no absolutes", it might be worth bearing the intent in mind, because a lot of imbalances are actually in the form of people getting around their own anti-magic fields and then buffing themselves until magic is required in order to harm them.

The intent of the spell was to grant nigh invulnerability to magic with the requirement that you take yourself out of the equation, which isn't that unreasonable - high level wizards would presumably keep countermeasures on hand, preferably reasonable ones as opposed to adamantine shrunk item clothing.

Mordenkainen's Disjunction is a far more appropriate target for any kind of re-write.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-30, 06:40 PM
Yeah, well with the original use, said demi-god is probably going to have some epicly long reach (15 or more feet) and would thus be completely unaffected by the spell's meager 10 foot radius anyway.

Reach has nothing to do with it, An antimagic field won't stop a spell cast by a deity period. They aren't effected by such mortal magic.

In the end the real problem is with something like anti-magic ray which lets you target a creature to negate there magic abilities.

Siosilvar
2010-03-30, 07:05 PM
Reach has nothing to do with it, An antimagic field won't stop a spell cast by a deity period. They aren't effected by such mortal magic.

In the end the real problem is with something like anti-magic ray which lets you target a creature to negate there magic abilities.

It's "affected". Though you CAN technically effect one with Ice Assassin or an Epic spell.

Doppelganger
2010-03-30, 07:10 PM
Or find a narrow corridor, and cast a shaped antimagic field as four ten-foot cubes in front of the party's beatstick. Now you have an antimagic wall, which you aren't affected by. The End.

Lysander
2010-03-31, 12:09 AM
Or find a narrow corridor, and cast a shaped antimagic field as four ten-foot cubes in front of the party's beatstick. Now you have an antimagic wall, which you aren't affected by. The End.

Shaping only lets you exclude areas from the spell, not make whatever shape you want.

Personally I think AMFs are fine. It's not that AMFs are overpowered. Magic is overpowered. The more weak spots the better.

gooddragon1
2010-03-31, 11:27 AM
I like it personally. Allows monsters a better chance at overcoming it.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-31, 03:54 PM
Shaping only lets you exclude areas from the spell, not make whatever shape you want.

I believe he means to say a sculpted AMF, as per Sculpt Spell, which does in fact allow you to change a spell's area to 4 10-foot cubes (among other options).

Mulletmanalive
2010-03-31, 04:26 PM
It's "affected". Though you CAN technically affect one with Ice Assassin or an Epic spell.

Corrected for you. Ironic that you correct a guy then get it wrong in the next sentence...

I'm not familiar with the ways of getting around Anti-Magic Field so we've never found anything odd about the idea of creating a vortex that consumes all magic within reach, even up to the top end of mortal magic. Given that most mages are going to suck entirely without access to buffs, it's not a bad trade really...

lesser_minion
2010-03-31, 04:33 PM
Corrected for you. Ironic that you correct a guy then get it wrong in the next sentence...

"Muphry's Law" is actually a known and acknowledged phenomenon on Wikipedia.

However, it's worth bearing in mind that you really can 'effect' a demigod or deity using epic magic or the Ice Assassin spell.