PDA

View Full Version : Favoured soul spell recovery.

Otodetu
2010-03-30, 06:33 PM
I recently came into a heated debate with a mate about HOW they recover their spell slots (by raw).
(Tried to post about this in the other favoured soul thread, but i guess the matter was a bit off topic.)

As they are not mentioned in the players handbook, being spontaneous divine casters and all, he suggests that they do not perform any action to regain their spell slots; it just happens after a day has passed.

I on the other hand suggest they should use one of the stated recovery methods described in the players handbook. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverv...cerersAndBards
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverv...ngDivineSpells
As in pure divine recovery 1 hour meditation, or 15 min bard\sorc recovery.

Are there any official faq or errata describing the time and manner a favoured soul by raw recovers spells?

Optimystik
2010-03-30, 07:30 PM
They are divine spellcasters; thus by the primary source and specificity rules, any parts of their spell recovery not specifically contradicted by their description follow the general rules for divine spellcasters in the PHB.

So you would end up with something like this:

Divine spellcasters prepare their spells in largely the same manner as wizards do, but with a few differences. The relevant ability for divine spells is Wisdom. To prepare a divine spell, a character must have a Wisdom score of 10 + the spell’s level. Likewise, bonus spells are based on Wisdom.

Time of Day

A divine spellcaster chooses and prepares spells ahead of time, just as a wizard does. However, a divine spellcaster does not require a period of rest to prepare spells. Instead, the character chooses a particular part of the day to pray and receive spells. The time is usually associated with some daily event. If some event prevents a character from praying at the proper time, he must do so as soon as possible. If the character does not stop to pray for spells at the first opportunity, he must wait until the next day to prepare spells.

Spell Selection and Preparation Recovery

A divine spellcaster selects and prepares recovers spells ahead of time through prayer and meditation at a particular time of day. The time required to prepare spells is the same as it is for a wizard (1 hour), as is the requirement for a relatively peaceful environment. A divine spellcaster does not have to prepare all his spells at once. However, the character’s mind is considered fresh only during his or her first daily spell preparation, so a divine spellcaster cannot fill a slot that is empty because he or she has cast a spell or abandoned a previously prepared spell.

Swap in the relevant parts of Sorcerer recovery for the crossed-out portions.

Otodetu
2010-03-31, 07:26 AM
That is exactly the same reasoning i used and tried to propose to my mate, but he turned on his hand brake and insisted that since he is not a cleric or druid he should not use the usual divine recovery.

He stated that the entry did never stated that the prepared spells, so therefore he was exempt...

I stopped arguing with him at this point and said i did not care really, except i am a sort of justice rules lawyer and i am interested in what is right from a scholarly view-point. (i might even be wrong after all.)