PDA

View Full Version : Thri-Kreen Warblade

Abaddon87
2010-03-30, 06:47 PM
So I have a lvl 1 Thri-Kreen character that is replacing my dead ranger I just lost. We are in a gladiatorial setting after being captured by mind flayers in the first night.

Im thinking pure Warblade as the party has no tank (Druid, Fey Sorc and a Psion focused on controlling minds).

My question is since I have four arms, besides Multi-Attack, how should I build this guy for max survivability and damage dealing? Should I go 4 one-handed weapons or two greatswords/axes? Greatsword and board? Two spears for reach and AoO?

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated!

Critical
2010-03-30, 06:49 PM
Survivability - use Sudden Leap for Mobility, use IHS for getting rid of nasty stuff. Also, with 4 arms, possibilities for Lightning Mace build with Aptituded Scimitars/Kukris/Rapiers increases.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-30, 06:52 PM
Just to clarify you are a level 1 warblade thri-kreen right? so your ECL must be 5 (or 4).

Either way I suggest you go multiweapon fighting with two reach weapons and to normal weapons to threaten in close combat. maybe you can wield a guisarme or other polearm two handed and use kukris on close range?? if you go this route start working on getting Robilar's gambit and karmic strike and I suggest you focus on Tiger claw, with some sprinkles of Diamond mind and a hefty dose of Iron heart.

Abaddon87
2010-03-30, 06:54 PM
Thri-Kreen is +2 LA. I'll be buying it off asap.

Draz74
2010-03-30, 06:58 PM
I vote for dual-wielding Falchions, rather than multiweapon fighting.

Oooh, or a Falchion and two Kukris.

But obviously the large threat range is the most important thing, since this build should clearly go for Blood in the Water.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-30, 07:00 PM

Suggestion look into the non-psionic thri-kreen (IIRC on MM IV) it looses the psy-like abilities but also is only LA +1:smallbiggrin:

And I like Draz idea, though I am sure there must be a reach weapon with a good crit range

Endarire
2010-03-30, 07:00 PM
Hood (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood:_A_Tale_of_38;_Guide_to_th e_3.5_Dragoon?pg=1). C'mon, just think of the damage bonuses from 4-handing a polearm! High jumping comes naturally!

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-30, 07:02 PM

It also has 2 racial die, however, which you cannot buy off.

Abaddon87
2010-03-30, 07:02 PM
But the Psi version gets displacement and some other nice PsiLA to use.

deuxhero
2010-03-30, 07:04 PM
Suggestion look into the non-psionic thri-kreen (IIRC on MM IV) it looses the psy-like abilities but also is only LA +1:smallbiggrin:

And I like Draz idea, though I am sure there must be a reach weapon with a good crit range

MM3 I think (For some reason MM3 has a decent ammount of stuff useful for players such as Fleshrakers and the Eberron races)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-30, 07:06 PM
MM3 I think (For some reason MM3 has a decent ammount of stuff useful for players such as Fleshrakers and the Eberron races)

Missed by a number, oh well.

and yes I agree with that MM III is awesome

KillianHawkeye
2010-03-30, 07:23 PM
just think of the damage bonuses from 4-handing a polearm!

I fully support this idea. :smallbiggrin:

The Rabbler
2010-03-31, 01:06 AM
thri-kreens, because of their arms, are natural multi-weapon fighters. i'd get strongarm bracers, large kukris (baisically scimitars), improved critical, and snap kick (just for the lulz). eventually get kaorti resin kukris of speed with impact and go for bloodstorm blade. you'd be able to throw something like 15 crit-tastic weapons each round. add lightning maces if you really want to abuse the world.

Volkov
2010-03-31, 06:39 AM
Four hand weild a flachion to victory.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-31, 08:50 AM
A single level-dip in barbarian, a mount, two dual-wielded lances, and the mounted combat feats make for some horrific pain when you make mounted charges. Great with White Raven maneuvers.

Agent_0042
2010-03-31, 09:00 AM
You can always make the DM hate you and dual-wield spiked chains, or quad-wield kusari-gama.

BadJuJu
2010-03-31, 11:12 AM
A single level-dip in barbarian, a mount, two dual-wielded lances, and the mounted combat feats make for some horrific pain when you make mounted charges. Great with White Raven maneuvers.

Take leadership, ride a centaur who also uses a lance...Don't know if that works, but would be funny.

Volkov
2010-03-31, 11:15 AM

Why not quad-weild one lance for more multiplication goodness?

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-31, 11:19 AM
Why not quad-weild one lance for more multiplication goodness?Because you can put manyfanged and collision and get a ton of extra damage?

EpicEvokerElf
2010-03-31, 11:39 AM
My 2cp would be for 4 kukris (Large ones when you can afford Strongarm Bracers). Tiger Claw has some amazing maneuvers that scale with the number of weapons you wield, and when combined with Blood in the Water, Lightning Maces (and kukris of Aptitude), and Improved Critical, you have yourself four 15-20 crit weapons dealing 1d6 apiece, with bonus attacks every time you crit (and the BitW bonuses). The Rabbler's suggestion of Bloodstorm Blade is nasty too (but you lose maneuvers).

InkEyes
2010-03-31, 11:46 AM

You're both wrong, it's MM2 and that's the final answer! It also means that version of the Thri-Kreen is 3.0, so you'll need to check the 3.5 updates page on Wizard's website to see if they've changed anything about the race.

I can understand why people would prefer skipping the second Monster Manual though, I mean SENMURV (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_u5_bBWktvGE/StPT1QkCnKI/AAAAAAAAAFc/oa3I-roNlBU/s400/senmurv.jpg).

jiriku
2010-03-31, 12:03 PM
Hey, give the Senmurv a break. He just came from a gay pride parade and he hasn't had time to change his clothes yet. Normally, he wears a business suit.

Evard
2010-03-31, 12:28 PM
You can always make the DM hate you and dual-wield spiked chains, or quad-wield kusari-gama.

This plus the riding a centaur is completely evil O_O can that legally be done?

Cieyrin
2010-03-31, 03:25 PM
You're both wrong, it's MM2 and that's the final answer! It also means that version of the Thri-Kreen is 3.0, so you'll need to check the 3.5 updates page on Wizard's website to see if they've changed anything about the race.

I can understand why people would prefer skipping the second Monster Manual though, I mean SENMURV (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_u5_bBWktvGE/StPT1QkCnKI/AAAAAAAAAFc/oa3I-roNlBU/s400/senmurv.jpg).

Or we could just look at Shining South, which is the source for LA +1 Thri-Kreen that I use.

This plus the riding a centaur is completely evil O_O can that legally be done?

Some DMs get a bit touchy about riding centoids of any kind. Something about PCs riding other PCs or something...

And it's not that broken, really, considering you'd probably need to get the Centaur as a cohort and build him with the appropriate feats as well, which you'd have to work out between the two characters. That's just a little bit messy, admittedly.