PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 ability DCs

psisai
2010-03-30, 07:43 PM
In the FAQ for the 3.5 update, it stated in one of the answered questions under the monsters section, that class HD (levels) never stack with race HD to be used in the equation to determine the DC to almost all racial abilities. That equation is 10 + 1/2 hit die[apparently only racial HD count] + appropriate ability modifier. So when choosing to advance a monster, you have to decide on how much you want to advance his race hit die and how much you want to give him class hit die, to get to the given CR value your shooting for.
My problem with this is the following: many abilities from classes, templates, and spells state that you get to use your character HD (all your HD) for that ability's DC. Thus, abilities you gain from your race are incredibly nerfed when class levels are added onto the monster. This applies to both NPCs and PCs, but it seems like your class HD should be able to help somewhat. What is your opinion?

FishAreWet
2010-03-30, 07:58 PM
I say to just let them scale. Things with DCs are rarely worth using anyways unless you don't care about the DC anyways. So 'proper' DC scaling is hardly anything to fear.

10 + 1/2 HD + Ability Mod stops scaling at a certain point anyways.

Douglas
2010-03-30, 08:01 PM
This is one case where I'm pretty sure the FAQ is simply wrong. RAW makes no distinction whatsoever about where the hit dice come from, only that each one contributes half a point to the save DC.

psisai
2010-03-30, 08:42 PM
Ya, I also feel that whoever answered this question in the FAQ wasn't in contact with the actual writers of the core books. I mean, to a certain extent it makes sense, since you give up power in one area for power in other areas But as you said, RAW doesn't seem to rule it that way, and if you did, it would kill the usefulness of the ability even quicker than it already will be due to general saves far outpacing DCs.

[edit] wait, nevermind about the RAW part, I just read on page 6 of 3.5 MM1 that under spcial abilities is does list only the racial HD apply to the equation. I still think its silly, but there it is. I wonder if theres some way to advance both.

Runestar
2010-03-30, 08:52 PM
Ask yourself this - why should lvs in fighter allow my medusa to petrify other people more easily?

It makes sense from a common-sense POV, but less so from a game-balance perspective.