PDA

View Full Version : Magic and Myth, Steam and Steel (or, "The Adventures of the Fey-Team") OOC



Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-30, 09:12 PM
This is the OOC thread for the Magic and Myth, Steam and Steel campaign, subtitled The Adventures of the Fey-Team by popular demand; the IC thread is here.

PlayerCharacter
Demons_eyeOwain Grigor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=195460) Training Montage
EurusMara Tesse (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=195850) On Vacation
DragoonWraithRáwen (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=36155) Retired
userpayTahlthi-zair (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=193325)
FishyTulacea (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=36086)
DreamshifterGolden Bluebell (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=195721)
ChambersBaewyn Celonis (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=260905)
SnowfireSilverwind (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=431912)
DeusMortuusEstGrimnir (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=436228)


We're going to be using different colors for each character's speech, so go ahead and claim a color, make any necessary comments or ask any questions, and head on over to the IC thread.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-30, 10:36 PM
Ráwen will speak in orange DarkOrange. Provided it's visible.

userpay
2010-03-30, 11:04 PM
Hmm I guess I'll take green I guess.

Eurus
2010-03-30, 11:13 PM
Mara will go with blue.

Fishy
2010-03-31, 12:34 AM
Tulacea will nab DarkOliveGreen- and will have her equipment and such later tonight, after I get back from work.

Eurus
2010-03-31, 12:36 AM
...Gah. I completely forgot that I still don't have equipment picked. :smalleek: I'll try to fix that soon, but I'm a bit on the busy side.

Dreamshifter
2010-03-31, 07:42 AM
Danged computer woes. I so wanted Bluebell to get blue...:smalltongue:

Ah, well. Plum will do, if everyone can read it.

Hmm, given that I can't hardly read it, something darker is in order.Dark Orchid it is.

<edit> Gonna post Bluebell's names for characters in this post, so I don't forget them...
Tahlthi-zair
Owain Grigor
Tulacea
Mara Tesse
Ráwen: Riddle Kitty

Eldan
2010-03-31, 03:11 PM
Good luck, then. In the unlikely event that you need more back-ups, send me a message and I'll finish the character then.

Demons_eye
2010-03-31, 03:14 PM
Lets see... Indigo for Owain?

Dreamshifter
2010-03-31, 03:57 PM
I do hope that people are going to get at least basic descriptions of their characters up soon. It's hard to make up amusing (and annoying) names for Bluebell to call everyone until then... :smalltongue:

On another note entirely, it's kinda scary that she has the highest base Int in the group. :smalleek:

DragoonWraith
2010-03-31, 08:50 PM
Why is that scary? If you started with 18 and put both points into it... wouldn't you expect to have the highest score?

As for me... feeling a bit of a blank at the moment, sorry. Will put up a description tonight, though, I want to hammer out a few more details about the character in my head first. Sorry.

Eurus
2010-03-31, 09:30 PM
Edited in a bit of description for Mara, because I don't want to post again before players #5 and 6 do.

Dreamshifter
2010-03-31, 09:55 PM
Why is that scary? If you started with 18 and put both points into it... wouldn't you expect to have the highest score.

Didn't, though, only started with 16. For some (really) odd reason, Petals get +4 racial Int bonus...

Though I guess, I am starting with a level adjustment, so it shouldn't come as a total surprise, I guess. Ahh, the things I do to get the skill points for Craft: Flower Arranging...

<edit> And I don't want to rush people or anything. It's not an accusation, or anything like that. Just a stray, sort of random comment. :smallfrown:

Eurus
2010-03-31, 10:07 PM
So Bluebell has the highest Int, Cha, and Dex? Dang. 0_0

userpay
2010-03-31, 10:43 PM
Geez Bluebell shoulda been a dual wielder with weapon finesse or something. Though I suppose caster types are better for smaller races due to smaller weapons otherwise?

userpay
2010-04-01, 01:10 AM
Mayhaps I can make the suggestion when talking to also bold your words? Makes it alot easier to tell from the rest of the text and such.

Eurus
2010-04-01, 01:13 AM
Sounds fine, if it's the standard. Normally I use bold/italics/underline to express tone or voice, so it would be odd if other people weren't bolding their own text because I'd feel like Mara was speaking in an unnaturally deep voice. :smallbiggrin:

Demons_eye
2010-04-01, 05:20 PM
So whats everyone up too?

userpay
2010-04-01, 05:48 PM
Went and saw How to Train your Dragon, good movie.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-01, 11:40 PM
Some feedback I got on the vercasphinx race:


I'm also not sure what a climb speed is doing there... Why not replace it with a racial Bardic Knowledge-esque ability? Random bits of trivia ala BK would definitely help with the riddles.
Oh. That's... a really good idea. I really really like that idea. I'll throw it past my DM and see what he thinks.

My guess would be, it's more powerful than a Climb speed by a fair margin. But we'll see.
I like the idea, though like I said - seems likely to be more powerful than Climbing. Curious what you think though.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-01, 11:46 PM
Some feedback I got on the vercasphinx race:

I like the idea, though like I said - seems likely to be more powerful than Climbing. Curious what you think though.

Both are fairly situational abilities of approximately equal power within their area of specialty, I'd say; I'll allow you to swap that out if you'd like.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-02, 03:22 PM
Is anyone a Bard in the group? Don't want to step on anyone's toes. But if not, I'll take it.

How are we calculating the bonus on it?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-02, 03:55 PM
Is anyone a Bard in the group? Don't want to step on anyone's toes. But if not, I'll take it.

How are we calculating the bonus on it?

Dreamshifter is a bard, though he's focusing more on the "Enchantments coming out your ears" archetype rather than the "knowledge repository" archetype.

For the bonus, I think [character level/HD] - 3 would be good.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-02, 04:04 PM
Sounds good to me, alright then.

Dreamshifter
2010-04-02, 04:18 PM
Yeah, Bardic Knowledge isn't at all the focus of my character (and I might refuse to roll sometimes when she could, because it doesn't make a lot of sense for her to know (or remember) anything at that point) and was in fact, that first thing on my list of "things to give up to build the character I want" (which never came up, since the PrC was made instead). So no worries there. :smallsmile:

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-02, 06:20 PM
On DragoonWraith's riddle concerning Ra: remember that this is essentially historical earth with a few twists. There is in fact a pseudohistorical Egypt down south somewhere by the name of Nubia, and they do in fact worship the normal Pharaonic pantheon.

Characters with power sources other than incarnum and divine magic are exceedingly rare, though the occasional divine-ish character with another source does exist, such as ardents, crusaders, Desert Wind/Shadow Hand swordsages, sha'irs, and so forth; this is partly due to their culture's strong focus on undeath, what with the dry-liches-and-mummy-lords-formerly-known-as-living-pharaohs who run the place, and partly due to the better suitability of divine magic for helping them survive and thrive in a desert environment.

There are several varieties of fey that originate in Nubia, most of which fall under the Summer and Autumn courts (though they rarely come into contact with the Europan fey, and thus don't always consider themselves part of the fey "community" as such). The fey share similar origins and philosophies with genies in a general sense, but fey and genies are particularly interlinked in the Nubian culture, to the point that they are often considered to be one and the same. Given Nubia's access to the Mediterranean and its several magically-created rivers, they have a thriving trade with many nations, including the Empire; thus, Nubian fey are loath to join the fey armies for fear of jeopardizing their homeland's safety and economic success.

[/made up on the spot]

Fishy
2010-04-03, 12:24 AM
Tulacea's not a Bard, but she gets Lore from Paragnostic Apostle, a decent bonus to Knowledge checks if she can stand still long enough to use Killoren Ancient, and she's generally built around having enough spell slots to spam divinations of various kinds.

Bardic Knowledge is fun enough that I don't mind sharing, though. But if Dreamshifter doesn't want it, Bardic Knack from PH2 is the traditional replacement.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-03, 12:47 AM
Bardic Knack is a very solid ability; I'd forgotten about that.

Since Sphinxes get +4 to all Knowledge skills, I decided to take Knowledge Devotion and put points in all the Knowledge skills, so Bardic Knowledge is really fitting.

Fishy
2010-04-04, 02:31 AM
Whoops - got Tula's equipment done, and just realized I don't have her HP...

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]
[roll12] [roll13]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-06, 11:22 PM
It looks like people are getting into character fairly well over in the IC thread, and there have been a few comments to the effect of wanting to get a plan. As soon as you all feel like you want to move the plot forward, let me know; otherwise, feel free to continue in this vein as long as you feel necessary.

userpay
2010-04-07, 12:20 AM
Hmm mayhaps in a day or two, lets see how the next few posts turn out.

Fishy
2010-04-07, 12:23 AM
How long is a 'Bell', anyway?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-07, 12:24 AM
As I said, you have plenty of time; I just want to make sure you guys don't feel like you have to kill time because I haven't been posting in the IC thread.


How long is a 'Bell', anyway?

An hour. The fey obviously wouldn't use any mechanical clocks to tell time, so bells, hourglasses, candles, sundials, etc. are the timekeeping method of choice.

Eurus
2010-04-08, 09:58 AM
Ráwen
"Oh, but they do spend years obsessing over riddles. Riddles are very mannish. 'Why am I here?' 'What do I need to do?' 'How can I get food?' 'How can I crush my enemies, have them driven before me, and hear the lamentations of their women?' More's the pity that they aren't any good at riddles..."


"Surprise heavy cavalry charge," Tulacea notes, with exactly the same tone that she answered the other riddle, and without a hint of irony.

I actually did laugh out loud at that. XD

DragoonWraith
2010-04-08, 10:04 AM
Yeah, that one caught me off-guard, awesome.

Fishy
2010-04-08, 10:34 AM
I've been having fun getting into the alien-fey groove: There's a method to her madness, but Tulacea just doesn't think the way Real People do.

... Wow I hope this isn't an infiltration mission.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-08, 10:40 AM
I've been having fun getting into the alien-fey groove: There's a method to her madness, but Tulacea just doesn't think the way Real People do.

I must say, it's fun just watching you all have this debate; when my home group makes characters, they tend to come up with one background/organization and all make characters with that origin in common, so having fey debate with half-fey, non-fey, mostly-fey, kinda-sorta-fey, etc. is greatly amusing.:smallbiggrin:


... Wow I hope this isn't an infiltration mission.

:smallamused:

Fishy
2010-04-08, 11:48 AM
That's... an interesting thought, and I suppose I hadn't consciously noticed it.

{table]Tula|Fey|Otherworld native
Ráwen|Fey|Otherworld native with a mortal fixation
Bluebell|Fey|Otherworld native who has met and loved mortals
Mara|Fey|Real World native
Tahl|Mortal|Real World native from a mixed community
Owain|Mortal|Real World native trained by Fey in the Otherworld[/table]

When you try to put them all in order of 'feyness'... Mara's less human than Owain, but has also spent less time in the Otherworld, and Tahl's been around fey since she hatched but also has the group's shortest life-expectancy. I can't quite figure out Bluebell and Ráwen, but Tulacea is uncontestably the 'Feyest', and I shall interpret that as a mandate to keep up the good work.

Eurus
2010-04-08, 11:59 AM
Nice table, it really helps with the visualization. And yeah, we've got quite a motley crew here. I love Tulacea so far, though. :smallbiggrin:

...Oh, and Ráwen too. :smalltongue:

userpay
2010-04-08, 12:51 PM
Being fey doesn't happen to extend life expectancy does it?

DragoonWraith
2010-04-08, 12:54 PM
I don't know. I feel like it should. But I don't really know.

I'm basing a lot of what I'm saying about Fey-ness on non-D&D books I've read, so a lot of this could be kinda-sorta wrong...

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-08, 02:11 PM
Being fey doesn't happen to extend life expectancy does it?

Whether it does or not by RAW, it does here; the fey territory in Europa is essentially the Faerie Realms on Earth, with most of the time-stretching non-aging goodness that entails.


I'm basing a lot of what I'm saying about Fey-ness on non-D&D books I've read, so a lot of this could be kinda-sorta wrong...

At this point, you guys are the driving force behind the mythos of the game since it's based more on real-world mythology and less on D&D-specific mythology; if you say stuff about the fey, it goes unless I specifically countermand it for other plot reasons.

Dreamshifter
2010-04-08, 03:45 PM
I can't quite figure out Bluebell

I've actually been struggling (and mostly failing) to find Bluebell's "voice" so far. I know things aren't coming out quite right when I type them, but I've been unable to find the proper wording so far. :smallfrown:

And it's driving me nuts. :smallannoyed:

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-09, 02:12 AM
I think I'll give people another day to continue fleshing out their characters in this discussion, and then we'll start moving the plot along, if that's fine by everyone.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-09, 08:58 AM
Why is there a puddle of wine under Tula's chair?

Eurus
2010-04-09, 12:39 PM
She spilled it.


Tulacea's eyes go wide with horror. "More rushed? Than here?" She empties her wineglass onto her foot at the thought.

"I remember one year, when the grass was growing too quickly. I couldn't concentrate on anything. I mean, I've gotten better, obviously," she adds, suddenly defensive.

:smallbiggrin:

Fishy
2010-04-09, 04:55 PM
Actually, she's been deliberately pouring it onto her feet, instead of drinking it.


Tulacea daintily picks up her wineglass, and pours a portion of its contents over her toes. "What's the Real World like, anyway?"

Eurus
2010-04-09, 05:20 PM
Ah, okay. Is that how she drinks, then? Huh, neat detail.

Fishy
2010-04-09, 11:31 PM
Well, she's a plant, sort of. I went ahead and got her a Ring of Sustenance: She photosynthesizes during the day and stands around thinking about things while you're asleep.

Demons_eye
2010-04-09, 11:49 PM
I got one too! Want to play cards to pass the nights?

Fishy
2010-04-13, 08:20 AM
"Ma'am, you've just hired the Fey Team!"

Weird question- what time is it? As a Spirit Shaman, Tulacea can switch around her spells known every morning- right now, she's got SNA4 in her 4th level slot, but I was seriously debating between that and Scrying (Which is the spell Tula would use in her daily life anyway), and it looks like that's going to be the better spell for this mission... Would it be alright to fudge that this once, or should I just grin and bear it?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-13, 08:29 AM
"Ma'am, you've just hired the Fey Team!"

:smallsigh:


Weird question- what time is it? As a Spirit Shaman, Tulacea can switch around her spells known every morning- right now, she's got SNA4 in her 4th level slot, but I was seriously debating between that and Scrying (Which is the spell Tula would use in her daily life anyway), and it looks like that's going to be the better spell for this mission... Would it be alright to fudge that this once, or should I just grin and bear it?

Well, the "opening scene" as described went from mid-afternoon-ish when you arrived to early evening when you met with the Regent; at the moment it would be late evening. When you went to the main hall, I was planning to have Menelaos ask you if you were ready to go right then or if he should escort you to some quarters and leave tomorrow morning, so if you want to swap out spells you can lobby for the latter option.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-13, 09:17 PM
"Well, as distasteful as I find this particular group, it's hardly representative of all of humanity. If I remember, there have been more than a few sphinxes who amassed quite a body count in their days, and there was a time when people feared to go into the woods at night not for the wild animals but for the possibility that some passing sprite would amuse itself leading the poor folks around in circles until they passed out from exhaustion."
In reality - yes. After you made that post, I realized mine was quite out of character, really. I feel like Rawen would not have been disgusted much and possibly intrigued. I whiffed that one.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-13, 09:45 PM
In reality - yes. After you made that post, I realized mine was quite out of character, really. I feel like Rawen would not have been disgusted much and possibly intrigued. I whiffed that one.

I don't know about that; I got a tone of pity from that more than disgust, with the "sickening creations part" referring to
the clockwork grafting stuff
rather than just the vivisection part.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-13, 09:49 PM
Yeah, the pity was right, since she'd think it's misguided and silly. *shrug*

Eurus
2010-04-13, 11:30 PM
In reality - yes. After you made that post, I realized mine was quite out of character, really. I feel like Rawen would not have been disgusted much and possibly intrigued. I whiffed that one.

No problem, I'm still working on getting Mara figured out a bit too.

Fishy
2010-04-13, 11:47 PM
I just realized that my joke only works if Tula has never heard the term 'vivisection' before, but can tell what it means from just hearing the word.

Do over!

Demons_eye
2010-04-14, 04:26 PM
What views do the fey have on binders and pact magic?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-14, 05:34 PM
The fey are much more open about the weirder magics than mortals--being mysterious beings bound by strange rules, and governed by beings who aren't completely material themselves, they have no problem with drawing power from mysterious not-entirely-physical beings. It is considered polite, however, to let someone know if you're not being yourself due to binding when it would impact a conversation--if instead of your coughing you had a constant grin or personality change, for instance, you might give off the wrong impression if your reactions didn't quite fit the situation.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-14, 05:51 PM
Hey Dice, would it be possible to use quote marks around text? My red-green colorvision's a bit weak, means I have to look for the color change instead of it being flagged with the quote mark.

userpay
2010-04-14, 06:16 PM
Hey Dice, would it be possible to use quote marks around text? My red-green colorvision's a bit weak, means I have to look for the color change instead of it being flagged with the quote mark.

I say we should start bolding our text when speaking, it helps it stand out from the rest of the text and most the games I'm in people do it.

Demons_eye
2010-04-14, 07:51 PM
The fey are much more open about the weirder magics than mortals--being mysterious beings bound by strange rules, and governed by beings who aren't completely material themselves, they have no problem with drawing power from mysterious not-entirely-physical beings. It is considered polite, however, to let someone know if you're not being yourself due to binding when it would impact a conversation--if instead of your coughing you had a constant grin or personality change, for instance, you might give off the wrong impression if your reactions didn't quite fit the situation.

I can roll with that. Thanks.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-14, 07:59 PM
Hey Dice, would it be possible to use quote marks around text? My red-green colorvision's a bit weak, means I have to look for the color change instead of it being flagged with the quote mark.

Not a problem; I've been doing without them so far because I've been writing the dialog and descriptions in big chunks and interpolating them afterwards. Should we take userpay's suggestion and bold speech as well, or should quotation marks suffice?

DragoonWraith
2010-04-14, 09:21 PM
Quotes are quite sufficient for me; sometimes I actually like to use bold for emphasis... but if anyone prefers bold, I can always just use italics for that.

Also, Rawen has a pair of dolls, one of "regular" wood (oak seems appropriate?) and one of ironwood, one tiny and the other small. I assume she stored those somewhere for the banquet, but she should retrieve them before leaving. Where would those be?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-14, 09:58 PM
Quotes are quite sufficient for me; sometimes I actually like to use bold for emphasis... but if anyone prefers bold, I can always just use italics for that.

Sounds good. The latest IC installment has quotation marks.


Also, Rawen has a pair of dolls, one of "regular" wood (oak seems appropriate?) and one of ironwood, one tiny and the other small. I assume she stored those somewhere for the banquet, but she should retrieve them before leaving. Where would those be?

A servant will have returned them discreetly on your way to the main hall.

userpay
2010-04-14, 10:29 PM
Hmm note to self, next feat likely to be track. How nice the next level of scout gives me a bonus feat...
edit: On that note do we know which way to head in this case?

userpay
2010-04-15, 01:23 PM
I suppose planning session time before me and Mara go ahead of the group.

userpay
2010-04-16, 11:33 PM
Ha I didn't even have to roll an intimidate check.

Demons_eye
2010-04-16, 11:39 PM
Your just that good.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-16, 11:53 PM
Yeah, that wasn't Intimidating in the sense of "I go out of my way to scare someone," it was intimidating in the sense that you're a freaking flying bug with swords. :smallamused:

userpay
2010-04-17, 12:34 AM
Bwahaha I love that spell, reactions are excellent.

Demons_eye
2010-04-17, 12:35 AM
Owain can speak both common (imperial?) and Sylvan but is bound Agares so he could speak any language. If I am within 30 feet of anyone I can translate if needed.

Dreamshifter
2010-04-17, 02:19 AM
I kinda assumed that Common = Imperial, and Bluebell thus speaks it as well.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-17, 02:22 AM
I kinda assumed that Common = Imperial, and Bluebell thus speaks it as well.

Basically. Anyone raised in the Empire would think of Common as the Empire's language, hence considering it the Imperial language, but it's the common language for most other mortal nations as well.

Fishy
2010-04-17, 02:32 AM
What does it sound like, by the way? Latin-ish?

"Können Sie Märchensprache?"

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-17, 02:37 AM
What does it sound like, by the way? Latin-ish?

Given the significantly more cosmopolitan/industrialized nature of this Empire over the real Roman one, picture ancient Latin as it would be if it had the same penchant for "borrowing" words that modern English does. The Empire covers most of central and eastern Europa, so it would sound 90% Latin-y with a bunch of German, French, and Slavic loan words.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-17, 09:38 AM
90% Latin-y with a bunch of [...] French [...] loan words.
French is just badly pronounced Latin, it doesn't really have any words to loan back, excepting those that didn't exist in Roman times. Well, and "admiral", I guess, which came to English from Arabic through French, oddly enough.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-17, 01:46 PM
French is just badly pronounced Latin, it doesn't really have any words to loan back, excepting those that didn't exist in Roman times. Well, and "admiral", I guess, which came to English from Arabic through French, oddly enough.

Not so much "loan words" then, as much as a bit of a dialect shift; it would sound like it has a bunch of French thrown in to our ears, even if it was simply misspelled Latin.

Eurus
2010-04-17, 01:52 PM
Mara is trying a Charm Person on the soldier, DC 18. And she's definitely going with Bluff over Diplomacy, since she has no real problems with killing them right now if that turns out to be more convenient than not doing so.

Demons_eye
2010-04-23, 03:39 PM
Six days since some one post in here, freaky.

Eurus
2010-04-23, 07:40 PM
I think taking a quick look around would be a good idea. Also, I'd like to try Disguise to hide any fae features we have, and make the two of us look like you'd expect people who've been chased through the forest by Wildfae to look. Can you take 20 on a disguise check?

[roll0]
[roll1]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-23, 07:44 PM
I think taking a quick look around would be a good idea. Also, I'd like to try Disguise to hide any fae features we have, and make the two of us look like you'd expect people who've been chased through the forest by Wildfae to look. Can you take 20 on a disguise check?

You can take 20 on any check as long as you're not rushed and there's no built-in consequence for failure, so yes, you can take 20.

Eurus
2010-04-23, 07:52 PM
Hmm, on second thought, scrap that. It's 1d3x10 minutes for a normal disguise check. 1d3x200 minutes would just be waaaay too much. So taking 10, then, for a total of 17 (before any circumstance bonuses/penalties) as long as Owain doesn't have a problem with Mara strategically messing up his clothes and smudging his face. If anyone can manage an Aid Another check, it'd be appreciated.

Demons_eye
2010-04-23, 07:58 PM
He would not mind.

Spot
[roll0]
[roll1]

Listen
[roll2]
[roll3]

Disguise- aid another
[roll4]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-23, 08:12 PM
Two Spot and Listen checks, Eurus, so I'll need another one of each from you.

Eurus
2010-04-23, 10:17 PM
Oops.


[roll0]
[roll1]

Adding the +2 aid another bonus, Mara gets a 19 to disguise the two of them.

Demons_eye
2010-04-25, 06:17 PM
The letter E?

DragoonWraith
2010-04-25, 07:40 PM
Correct, heh.

userpay
2010-04-26, 01:59 PM
As a note I'll follow along at a distance and sticking to the trees to keep hidden.

Eurus
2010-04-26, 07:24 PM
I'm working on typing up Mara's approach right now.

Eurus
2010-04-26, 07:35 PM
Hmm, but before I do. Mara will try to Charm one of the nearest sentries (one of the ones in the southmost dots) before she approaches. If I remember my enchantment rules, she'll know if she succeeds, right?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-26, 07:52 PM
@Demon_eyes: I'm assuming Owain has his scythe morphed into something innocuous like a staff; if that's not the case, let me know.

@Eurus: I assumed you were heading in with Owain, sorry. As it happens, you've approached the southwestern-most sentry as it is; if you want to throw in a charm before you do so, just give me the save DC and I'll write in the reaction.

Demons_eye
2010-04-26, 07:57 PM
That would be correct.

Also sorry Eurus just wanted to get the ball rolling again

Eurus
2010-04-26, 07:58 PM
I edited my post-in-progress to fit with Owain's method of approach, so that's fine. The save DC should be 18, I think.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-26, 10:15 PM
Haha, Dice, you do an excellent Orc. That amused me greatly.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-27, 10:00 AM
So I'm going to be horribly lame and roll for the answer to Tula's riddle, because I don't know the answer myself but figure Rawen would. Also going to roll for whether or not Rawen's heard of the Obscured Veils thingies.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

+1 if Knowledge (Local) comes into play, +4 if Knowledge (Arcana) or Knowledge (History) is applicable.


Feel free to tell me I'm being dumb and should just admit I don't know.

Fishy
2010-04-27, 10:29 AM
The Veils was something that I made up on the spot- the idea being an Oracular term to explain the difference between seeing other objects in the room with you and 'seeing' things long ago and far away and yet to be. There's one around the place where you are- which would be 'every place'- and one around the consequences of actions in the present- 'the beginning of every end'- and a fairly serious one wrapped around the beginning of time and after the death of the universe.

Anyway.

The Green Whistling Thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EU8Cs1Jchw), I've been wanting to do since I saw a sphinx was applying. :P (Relevant bits before 1:40 and after 4:35)

Eurus
2010-04-27, 11:18 AM
I remembered that one when I saw it, and you have no idea how tempted I was to butt in and answer it. I love that you actually used it, though. It's so... so Tula. :smallbiggrin:

userpay
2010-04-28, 10:35 PM
Can I get some details about the current brightness of the sky (I'm lead to believe its getting close to morning?) and how far the light generated by the camp reaches up?

DragoonWraith
2010-04-28, 10:58 PM
Sorry for delay, ridiculous week; had my harddrive fail on Monday, been spending the rest of the week trying to learn everything I can about harddrives, their failures, and the possibilities of recovery, because I have about 300 GB of stuff I really want back and about $800 I really can't afford to pay for professional data recovery. So! That's been preventing me from responding. Sorry! Will try to respond now...

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-28, 11:19 PM
Can I get some details about the current brightness of the sky (I'm lead to believe its getting close to morning?) and how far the light generated by the camp reaches up?

The moon is just past its peak, and it's about 3/4 full; it's about 3 or 4 in the morning now.


Sorry for delay, ridiculous week; had my harddrive fail on Monday, been spending the rest of the week trying to learn everything I can about harddrives, their failures, and the possibilities of recovery, because I have about 300 GB of stuff I really want back and about $800 I really can't afford to pay for professional data recovery. So! That's been preventing me from responding. Sorry! Will try to respond now...

How exactly did it fail? Are we talking a literal melt-a-hole-in-the-drive failure or just some corrupt sectors? If it's not physical damage, I might be able to give you some pointers, assuming you haven't found a solution already.

@Eurus: I'll need a Bluff check for Mara.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-29, 08:16 AM
How exactly did it fail? Are we talking a literal melt-a-hole-in-the-drive failure or just some corrupt sectors? If it's not physical damage, I might be able to give you some pointers, assuming you haven't found a solution already.
Would be welcome; you can read all about it here (http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1089336-alpha-nifse-v10/page__view__findpost__p__15887031) - I'm getting a lot of help as it is, but would not be opposed to anything else you can add. Thanks!

userpay
2010-04-29, 09:37 AM
You still didn't answer my question about how far the light from the camp extends but I think thats enough to do something...

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-29, 10:23 AM
Would be welcome; you can read all about it here - I'm getting a lot of help as it is, but would not be opposed to anything else you can add. Thanks!

It seems the folks over there have things pretty well covered.


You still didn't answer my question about how far the light from the camp extends but I think thats enough to do something...

Whoops. The light from the camp doesn't extend very far in terms of letting the soldiers see out, but it does make the camp visible from a not-insignificant distance away. Tahl's probably a good 40 feet up, about as high as one can get before the foliage interferes with vision too much.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-29, 10:43 AM
It seems the folks over there have things pretty well covered.
Yes, bless them. I don't know what I'd do without them, they've really been amazing. Thank you for taking a look, though. Always good to get another opinion.

Eurus
2010-04-29, 10:43 AM
@Eurus: I'll need a Bluff check for Mara.

Bluff! [roll0]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-29, 11:04 AM
@userpay: Tahl can see the camp just fine, but I'll need a Listen check to see if you can hear the conversation.

userpay
2010-04-29, 11:09 AM
listen
[roll0]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-29, 11:21 AM
That's high enough to hear them, at least for now.

Dreamshifter
2010-04-30, 06:58 PM
Do you want the "main party" (if we even qualify as that now :smalltongue: ) stuff spoilered too?

userpay
2010-04-30, 07:19 PM
And since I'm not directly with the main party I suppose I'm not hearing that?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-30, 11:45 PM
Do you want the "main party" (if we even qualify as that now :smalltongue: ) stuff spoilered too?

For right now, yes; as before, if the parties get close enough together again we go back to unspoilered.


And since I'm not directly with the main party I suppose I'm not hearing that?

Right. If something happens you can see or hear from your location, I'll put Tahl's name on the "rest of party" spoiler; I'll start listing names explicitly to make that more clear.

Eurus
2010-05-01, 05:34 PM
Question for DM:
Does the door to the mage's steam wagon appear to be able to be locked from the inside?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-01, 06:11 PM
@Eurus:
Yes. As far as you can tell, it's a standard door, with the exception of the cat-flap (opened by a cord to the side) and a few slats to let her familiar climb up to it.

Fishy
2010-05-02, 11:55 PM
About 15 minutes later...

I hate to point this out, but the spell responsible for that effect only lasts 16 rounds: or 1 minute and 36 seconds.

And we spent a good deal of that talking.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-03, 12:15 AM
I hate to point this out, but the spell responsible for that effect only lasts 16 rounds: or 1 minute and 36 seconds.

And we spent a good deal of that talking.

Whoops. I calculated it would take about 1.5 minutes to get there and back at an 80-foot run, so my bad handwriting is to blame there. Fortunately, talking is a free action, so 1.5 minutes and a round for talking does give you enough time. :smallwink:

userpay
2010-05-06, 10:43 AM
*looks around*

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-06, 11:09 AM
I've been waiting for the Ráwen/Tula/Bluebell group to decide what they're going to do; as soon as they do that, we can continue.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-06, 11:27 AM
Well I was waiting for Fishy, but in the interests of keeping things moving, I've just assumed what he'll do.

Demons_eye
2010-05-06, 12:41 PM
I was waiting for something to happen too, kind of lost as what to do next.

userpay
2010-05-06, 03:53 PM
My position is purely reactionary lol.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-06, 09:26 PM
Well, Dreamshifter hasn't posted in a few days, so if DragoonWraith and/or Fishy want to just move things along, that would be great.

Dreamshifter
2010-05-06, 11:14 PM
Yeah, sorry about the lack of posting. My brain is more or less drained right now, what with being sick, and everything else going on here. I keep hoping I'll be able to come up with a post worth making, but it doesn't seem likely in the short term. It should get better soon, but if ya gotta drop me, I understand.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-06, 11:21 PM
No need for any dropping yet--it's finals week for me, so I understand being busy!--just let us know what your posting schedule looks like; I can NPC you for a little while if need be.

Fishy
2010-05-06, 11:51 PM
I am having a bad... month, basically. Should be infinitely better after this weekend?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-06, 11:56 PM
Fine by me. Again, you're in no danger of being dropped or anything like that, just keep me apprised of the situation if you can't post for a bit.

DragoonWraith, since the other three are waiting on you folks and your compadres are temporarily out of commission, would you just like to lead your valiant charge into the enemy (or whatever it was you were planning to do) and at least bring the party back together again proximity-wise?

DragoonWraith
2010-05-07, 10:13 AM
Sure, let's say the Small Ironwood doll leads the walk through the tunnel, with Rawen behind, and the other two following. When we get to the end, Rawen'll use her claws to try to dig as small a hole as possible to the surface - try to get a peek out, make sure we are where we want to be, and no one's around.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-07, 10:45 AM
You should probably post something to that in the IC thread, for continuity's sake.

userpay
2010-05-10, 12:29 AM
*listens to the crickets*

Eurus
2010-05-10, 01:18 AM
Well, those of us in the camp are waiting for the rest...

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-10, 03:18 PM
Since it seems the outside-of-camp group knows basically what they're doing, I think I'll hurry things along a bit for them.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-10, 03:20 PM
Argh, sorry, I missed the update saying to put that in the IC thread. Sorry!

Eurus
2010-05-10, 08:53 PM
@Demons_eye
Just wanted to remind you that we do in fact know where the fey are, at least supposedly.


The centurion chuckles. "If only we were so lucky! No, only two of them have fey, one with their commanders and the other with their soldiers; the other one behind the trees is the Ordo Okkultus wagon, where our magi and the Lions' magi work. Well, it's been down to just the Lions' tertius for two days now...long story. Not that you're in any danger", she hastens to add. "You can talk with her, if she'll let you in; she'd probably be a more interesting conversationalist for you than the legionnaires, since she's been back home more recently than the rest of us and is probably more up-to-date on politics and current events."

Demons_eye
2010-05-10, 09:10 PM
@Demons_eye
Just wanted to remind you that we do in fact know where the fey are, at least supposedly.



Doh.... Forgot :smallredface:

Fishy
2010-05-11, 12:58 AM
Two quick DM questions-

Is it alright if I refluff the Spiritjaws spell as Spiritvines? Same effect, just with thorny vines made of force instead of a dinosaur jaw made of force.

Second, can I use that spell on objects? The jaws/vines are the effect of the spell, which doesn't have a listed target, and instead just refers to making attack rolls against 'an opponent'.

(I ask because [Force] effects ignore hardness, and I don't think we have anything else in our collective arsenal that does.)

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-11, 02:18 AM
Two quick DM questions-

Is it alright if I refluff the Spiritjaws spell as Spiritvines? Same effect, just with thorny vines made of force instead of a dinosaur jaw made of force.

You are free to refluff anything and everything you want as long as the mechanics remain the same.


Second, can I use that spell on objects? The jaws/vines are the effect of the spell, which doesn't have a listed target, and instead just refers to making attack rolls against 'an opponent'.

(I ask because [Force] effects ignore hardness, and I don't think we have anything else in our collective arsenal that does.)

Hmm. It does reference an "opponent," which usually refers to a creature exclusively. I'm going to rule that you can target creatures only, sorry.

Demons_eye
2010-05-11, 05:35 PM
Can 'Rocky' my earth elemental use weapons?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-11, 05:44 PM
Can 'Rocky' my earth elemental use weapons?

He can use them just fine, though he's not proficient with any manufactured weapons.

Demons_eye
2010-05-11, 05:48 PM
He doesn't need to be proficient to attack the wagon does he?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-11, 06:32 PM
He doesn't need to be proficient to attack the wagon does he?

Nonproficiency just means a -4 to hit; if he can't hit a 15-foot-long wagon even with the -4, something is very wrong. :smallwink:

Eurus
2010-05-11, 07:05 PM
Aren't earth elementals... you know, made of rock? Hence the slam attack? Is giving it a club or a dagger actually going to help? o_0

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-11, 07:07 PM
Aren't earth elementals... you know, made of rock? Hence the slam attack? Is giving it a club or a dagger actually going to help? o_0

Probably not. I just checked the IC thread again, and I think he might be doing that to let the elemental get Martial Study'd. Demons_eye, you know maneuvers can be used with natural attacks, right?

Demons_eye
2010-05-11, 07:13 PM
Well I just thought slam:1d6 Scythe:2d4......

Eurus
2010-05-11, 07:15 PM
Well I just thought slam:1d6 Scythe:2d4......

I suppose so. It just seems illogical... a scythe technically does more damage, but would you rather try and stab a metal wall with a scythe or bash it in with a stone club? :smallbiggrin:

Demons_eye
2010-05-11, 07:18 PM
I suppose so. It just seems illogical... a scythe technically does more damage, but would you rather try and stab a metal wall with a scythe or bash it in with a stone club? :smallbiggrin:

More badass to let him cut it open like a tin can :smallcool:

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-11, 07:20 PM
More badass to let him cut it open like a tin can :smallcool:

Most badass of all would be a headbutt through the bottom of the wagon.

Demons_eye
2010-05-11, 07:24 PM
Most badass of all would be a headbutt through the bottom of the wagon.

Damn, you got me there.

Headbutt attack: [roll0]

Eurus
2010-05-11, 07:34 PM
You should probably add in another +1, because I assume Rocky is power attacking. And another 2d6 bonus damage from the Mountain Hammer maneuver that Rawen gave him with Heroics.

Demons_eye
2010-05-11, 07:36 PM
This is why I need to get my books back...

[roll0]

17 total assuming he can power attack

Question to people here: Do you loan books out? If so how many and for how long?

Eurus
2010-05-11, 07:41 PM
Dang. Average steel/iron hit points are 30 per inch of thickness. Even if it's only an inch thick, it won't break from just that hit. But on the other hand, I'm sure that the entire camp heard that bang...

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-11, 07:45 PM
Just as a reminder, everyone should be declaring actions and making rolls in the IC thread.

userpay
2010-05-12, 09:21 AM
Should I be looking at the posts that has Owain's name on it? I'm assuming he is still in my range of view as something appears to be happening.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-12, 12:50 PM
Should I be looking at the posts that has Owain's name on it? I'm assuming he is still in my range of view as something appears to be happening.

Hmm. Everyone's currently under one of the wagons, but there's a thick stand of trees near them, so if you go there and hide in the trees you should be able to see and hear them well enough for the time being.

Eurus
2010-05-14, 03:22 PM
Wow. That volley was a lot more painful than I thought... I was hoping it would take a few turns for them to wear me down. Touch attacks + energy damage was not part of the plan. :smalleek:

Oh, just to check. Assuming that these soldiers are Lawful, did you count the +2 deflection bonus to AC against them? Since I'm not 100% sure that they are lawful, I won't add the bonus to saves yet, so tack on another +2 to each if they are.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

EDIT: Oh, also. Do the miss chance from Entropic Warding and concealment from Child of Shadows stack?

DragoonWraith
2010-05-14, 03:54 PM
Bah, screwed up the Mephit's Breath Weapon Damage roll:

[roll0]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-14, 04:41 PM
Wow. That volley was a lot more painful than I thought... I was hoping it would take a few turns for them to wear me down. Touch attacks + energy damage was not part of the plan. :smalleek:

Oh, just to check. Assuming that these soldiers are Lawful, did you count the +2 deflection bonus to AC against them?

They are indeed lawful, and I counted the deflection bonus; I didn't put the attack rolls up because with favored enemy (fey), their centurion's presence, and other factors they only fail to hit your touch AC on a 1 with their first attack. It takes a while to reload, though, so you're safe for now. :smallbiggrin:


Since I'm not 100% sure that they are lawful, I won't add the bonus to saves yet, so tack on another +2 to each if they are.

With the +2, you make all but 1.


EDIT: Oh, also. Do the miss chance from Entropic Warding and concealment from Child of Shadows stack?

Yes, since one is concealment and one is just a miss chance; it's a 64% miss chance with both up.

Eurus
2010-05-14, 04:56 PM
They are indeed lawful, and I counted the deflection bonus; I didn't put the attack rolls up because with favored enemy (fey), their centurion's presence, and other factors they only fail to hit your touch AC on a 1 with their first attack. It takes a while to reload, though, so you're safe for now. :smallbiggrin:

Yikes. :smalleek: Effects of that one failed save?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-14, 05:14 PM
Yikes. :smalleek: Effects of that one failed save?

Don't worry, they're mostly one-hit wonders. Mostly. :smallwink: Mara takes 2 Dex damage now, and will need to make another Fort save in 1 minute.

Eurus
2010-05-14, 05:22 PM
Don't worry, they're mostly one-hit wonders. Mostly. :smallwink: Mara takes 2 Dex damage now, and will need to make another Fort save in 1 minute.

Alrighty then. Good thing she has dex to spare... subtract 1 from her current initiative.

Demons_eye
2010-05-14, 05:27 PM
Nope. You'll find out soon enough. :smallamused:

You evil evil man....

I approve!

DragoonWraith
2010-05-14, 06:00 PM
Forgot to roll...
[roll0]

DragoonWraith
2010-05-14, 07:10 PM
Map commentary: Uhh... my color-vision, especially red-green, is a bit weak. I can tell the difference between, for example, the dark gray dots and the dark green ones, but not easily, I have to look carefully at them to be sure. The "crimson" dot I just don't recognize - can't tell it from the red. Also, where is the Wolf?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-14, 07:16 PM
Map commentary: Uhh... my color-vision, especially red-green, is a bit weak. I can tell the difference between, for example, the dark gray dots and the dark green ones, but not easily, I have to look carefully at them to be sure. The "crimson" dot I just don't recognize - can't tell it from the red. Also, where is the Wolf?

Right, sorry, forgot about that. :smallredface: I'll redo it with letters. I hadn't put the doll or wolf on the map because I worked it up before I saw your post, so I'll add those in as well.

Eurus
2010-05-14, 07:20 PM
Map commentary: Uhh... my color-vision, especially red-green, is a bit weak. I can tell the difference between, for example, the dark gray dots and the dark green ones, but not easily, I have to look carefully at them to be sure. The "crimson" dot I just don't recognize - can't tell it from the red. Also, where is the Wolf?

I believe the crimson dot is the one surrounded by the three black dots.

Also, got to say, I didn't think we'd end up hacking our way through the entire camp. Not that I think we necessarily can hack our way through the entire camp, but still, I didn't think we'd even try. :smallamused:

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-14, 07:35 PM
Map is updated. Better?

And this isn't the entire camp. Only the Iron Lions are trying to stop you....

userpay
2010-05-14, 08:20 PM
What kind of action/rolls is it going to take to get the sword from the shield?

Eurus
2010-05-14, 08:20 PM
Map is updated. Better?

And this isn't the entire camp. Only the Iron Lions are trying to stop you....

Oh? Didn't realize that, heh. No love lost between them and the Eagles, apparently...

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-14, 08:26 PM
What kind of action/rolls is it going to take to get the sword from the shield?

Free action, no rolls. It's a regular disarm attempt flavored as them catching your sword in their shield.

userpay
2010-05-14, 09:31 PM
Ah I thought it was embedded in some way, posting then.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-14, 09:40 PM
Map is updated. Better?

And this isn't the entire camp. Only the Iron Lions are trying to stop you....
Very much, thank you a lot. It's really quite good.

Actually, as a side-note - can everyone please use the Character Name convention at the top of their posts? It's somewhat difficult to keep track of these things.

Dreamshifter
2010-05-17, 01:24 AM
Ok, gonna try to get back into posting. Not sure I can do Bluebell justice right now (a great deal of... stuff just hit (and likely clogged) my rotary cooling device), but at least I can post something. Even if it isn't as happy and cheerful as it should be.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-17, 08:12 AM
Attacks:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Damage:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Dire Wolf is down to 40 HP.
Just double-checking, because I think I forgot to mention it before:
Because of Skillful Puppetry, the wolf is a marionette. This means it is a Construct with Con -, and instead of its Con bonus to HP it gets a bonus based on its size - that is, +30 for a Large one, which replaces the +18 that a normal Dire Wolf gets. Also, it has DR 3/Adamantine.

On the other hand, it has a series of magical strings trailing off into space above it. They have 1 Hardness, DR 3/Adamantine, and 30 HP. Destroying those renders the marionetter useless until they are repaired.

If any of these changes are imbalanced, by the way, let me know. I'm not intimately familiar with monsters, so I wasn't certain how well balanced the template was. Let me know.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-17, 01:49 PM
No, you did mention it, I just forgot to check what that gave it; it's now at 55 HP, then. Not that it really matters much, since I wouldn't have the NPCs immediately go for the strings anyway.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-17, 08:12 PM
Speaking of which, it dawns on me that they ought to have an AC. Thoughts?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-17, 08:55 PM
An AC of 18+Dex would be appropriate, since they're essentially Fine objects.

Demons_eye
2010-05-20, 08:14 PM
Soo how about them yankees

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-20, 10:36 PM
We're just waiting for DragoonWraith/Ráwen to make a move. PbP sucks sometimes.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-21, 09:31 PM
Sorry! I've been traveling all over for the last week and a half. Finally home, though! I'll get to work on that.

Dreamshifter
2010-05-22, 02:35 AM
*kicks Mythweavers* Just out of curiosity, is anyone else having trouble with that site? It's been deleting my latest character sheets a lot lately, and it's getting annoying...

Right now, for instance, it shows me with no equipment or spells, and I know I've saved it several times since then...

(not that it matters, I can't imagine 38 missing anyone at this level)

Eurus
2010-05-22, 02:41 AM
Just to check - are you working on a map for this round too? If so, I'll wait to see that before replying.

Demons_eye
2010-05-22, 09:29 AM
How far is bluebell from Owain? I can't find her on the map.

Also you are an evil man dice, my curiosity is killing me as to what spell that is....

userpay
2010-05-22, 09:38 AM
Ye we are gonna need an updated map.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-22, 10:47 AM
I'll have an updated map momentarily; I went to sleep right after updating and forgot to do that last night.


How far is bluebell from Owain? I can't find her on the map.

Any PC not on the map is under the wagon.


Also you are an evil man dice, my curiosity is killing me as to what spell that is....

Hint: The Duke is a druid. :smallcool:

Demons_eye
2010-05-22, 10:56 AM
Could Owain see bluebell getting hit and losing strength?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-22, 11:03 AM
Hmm. He's right next to the wagon, but she's underneath and she's small. Make a Spot check.

Demons_eye
2010-05-22, 11:10 AM
only rolling here because I need to know before posting my action

[roll0]

DragoonWraith
2010-05-22, 01:08 PM
Crit Threat on Doll's bite attack:
[roll0], [roll1]

Yay, so I have maybe utterly devastated a mirror image of a snake.

Eurus
2010-05-22, 02:17 PM
How far is bluebell from Owain? I can't find her on the map.

Also you are an evil man dice, my curiosity is killing me as to what spell that is....

It's Creeping Cold. :smalltongue:

(Possibly Greater, won't know until next round.)

EDIT: Also, Mara is so confused as to why we haven't just grabbed the fey and left. :smallamused:

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-22, 02:38 PM
Yay, so I have maybe utterly devastated a mirror image of a snake.

You have maybe utterly devastated something, but it's not a mirror image; the snake's body is still there.

Demons_eye
2010-05-24, 06:54 PM
Anyone got some fey based fiction suggestions?

Eurus
2010-05-26, 12:00 AM
So... what's up?

Fishy
2010-05-26, 01:01 AM
I'm not entirely sure. Everyone's posted, which means we're just waiting on Dice, and it's rapidly becoming a pretty complicated battle to DM.

Unless he's already calculated the move, we just got TPKO'd, and he's not sure what to do now.

I myself think we all ought to end up in prison for a crime we didn't commit. :smallbiggrin:

Eurus
2010-05-26, 01:46 AM
Are you sure? There's more than enough crimes that we have committed that we could be arrested for. :smallamused:

DragoonWraith
2010-05-26, 01:55 AM
I'm not sure we have been TPKO'd. Rawen could summon things to carry people back down the hole we dug to get out there, and no one's taking fire damage yet (except Owain, but he's not at Str <0, either). It seems likely that we've utterly failed at saving anyone, but I'm not sure we're completely unable to get out of here.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-26, 07:54 AM
Yeah...I've been waiting for Dreamshifter to post, entirely forgetting that Bluebell can't act this round... :smallredface:

And don't worry, it's not a TKO...yet. (Partly because the Duke has failed every single bleeping save against that bleeping stinking cloud thus far. :smallfurious:) I'll have the enemy's action up momentarily.

userpay
2010-05-26, 09:48 AM
Hmm is that something we were missing a cleric?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-26, 10:07 AM
Hmm is that something we were missing a cleric?

Probably would have come in handy. It's not all that bad, since Owain can bind Buer for healing, and Bluebell and Tula can also pick up some healing spells, but your weakness is non-HP threats...like, say, Str penalties. :smallwink:

DragoonWraith
2010-05-26, 02:35 PM
Who under the wagon other than Rawen and Tahl are Str 0'd?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-26, 02:44 PM
You mean Tula. Bluebell's the only other one down.

Demons_eye
2010-05-26, 07:02 PM
Probably would have come in handy. It's not all that bad, since Owain can bind Buer for healing, and Bluebell and Tula can also pick up some healing spells, but your weakness is non-HP threats...like, say, Str penalties. :smallwink:

Yep, when this is over Owain can heal everyone. That spell might have killed him y now if he had not saved for half..

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-29, 03:38 PM
Sorry about the delay, folks; I missed Tahl's and Tula's actions with all those spoilered posts in the middle. Enemy actions and map will be up momentarily.

Demons_eye
2010-05-31, 08:59 AM
Fish I love your future options :smallbiggrin:

Fishy
2010-05-31, 09:38 AM
For those of you keeping score, this whole fiasco counted as MILD PERIL.

Omen of Peril is alarmingly non-specific.

Eurus
2010-05-31, 02:14 PM
Maybe the fae were smart enough to keep anti-divination spells up? I think that the ambush definitely would have counted as severe peril otherwise, but if it had been just a simple break-in-and-steal it would've gone fairly smoothly.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-31, 02:26 PM
Maybe it was "no danger if you don't go to the duke and lady's cell first"?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-31, 03:00 PM
Yeah, if you'd gotten the other prisoners out first, there would have been very little danger; you didn't specify which wagon you were going for, so the percentile dice decreed you'd get to do things the fun and dangerous way. "In and out quietly" and "Holy crap, ambush!" averaged out to MILD PERIL.

Eurus
2010-05-31, 03:08 PM
Yeah, if you'd gotten the other prisoners out first, there would have been very little danger; you didn't specify which wagon you were going for, so the percentile dice decreed you'd get to do things the fun and dangerous way. "In and out quietly" and "Holy crap, ambush!" averaged out to MILD PERIL.

I like the way destiny's logic works. :smallamused:

Moral of the story: when divining the future, be specific!

Fishy
2010-05-31, 08:59 PM
Sadly, we can't. The best that Omen of Peril can do is 'what's that-a-way.'

But, hey, first-level spell with no components.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-01, 02:42 PM
In case everyone's forgotten, one of you has the gem that'll message Menelaos that you're ready to leave. That'll probably be easier than carting the other fey around through the forest.

Eurus
2010-06-01, 02:48 PM
I know I forgot, heh.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-02, 12:16 AM
For the record, I kinda wanna check out Tir na Nog and see what the Duke has to say, but I don't want to speak for the group and I'm cool with checking out other stuff if people want.

Eurus
2010-06-02, 12:27 AM
I'll abstain from this particular vote. No preference.

Fishy
2010-06-03, 12:47 AM
Speaking of freakish Fae biology: I've been mentally picturing Tula as less 'wearing wooden armor' and more 'being made out of wood', and her quarterstaff attack as being a 'thwack you in the face with a branch'. I don't expect it to come up much, or confer any sort of gameplay advantage, but it is kind of pushing the boundaries of re-fluffing just a bit.

Her bark is all in layers anyway, so if it's necessary for us to do the taken-captive-and-stripped-and-disarmed routine, there's no reason why she couldn't have some bits pruned or pulled off of her.

Anyway, is this cool with you, Dice, or should I just put her in clothes like all of the normal people?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-03, 12:50 AM
As I've said before, you can refluff to any degree you want as long as the mechanics remain the same. If chopping off a "branch" disarms her until it's reattached and peeling off "bark" leaves her armor-less, that's all fine with me.

Fishy
2010-06-03, 01:11 AM
Excellent. Thanks, Dice!

Demons_eye
2010-06-04, 01:23 PM
Man fish you cant get a break about those riddles can you?

Eurus
2010-06-14, 01:29 PM
"Excessive formality is neither desired nor required. The Queen of Air and Darkness does not require constant reminder of her status. 'Queen' will do."

A nicely amusing remark. :smallamused:

Fishy
2010-06-14, 11:30 PM
I'm not sure that "fine" and "the only one left standing after the Queen Of Air And Darkness has decided to knock everyone unconscious" are the same thing. :smalleek: How long was everyone out, by the way? Did they miss anything?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-14, 11:52 PM
Not knocked out, simply...preoccupied for a few rounds; nothing important happened in the interim, and as far as onlookers were concerned, you were all just staring off into space for a bit. The particular ability in question is a modified mind probe (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindProbe.htm) that allows much faster questioning in exchange for only having access to a very narrow range of memory per manifestation.

Demons_eye
2010-06-15, 12:31 AM
For what its worth you are doing a great job Dice. I love the detail you put into this.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-15, 12:37 AM
For what its worth you are doing a great job Dice. I love the detail you put into this.

Why thank you. :smallcool:

Fishy
2010-06-16, 10:40 AM
Seconded, by the way. Tula wants to get the boop out of here, but this whole interlude has been super-cool.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-16, 10:43 AM
Seriously, awesome stuff.

I really, really love this campaign.

I am, on the other hand, somewhat bored of my character. She was kind of made as a rush job due to lack of inspiration and impending deadlines, but meh. I don't actually know enough riddles to play her properly, so she gets kind of boring.

Eurus
2010-06-16, 02:18 PM
Seconded, by the way. Tula wants to get the boop out of here, but this whole interlude has been super-cool.

Ditto, basically. Nice atmosphere, pretty good characterization for the Duke and the Queen both (quite the task, given that this is our only scene of real interaction with either), and just all-around fun. And disturbing. :smallbiggrin:

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-16, 03:39 PM
Glad to hear everyone likes this; it's as much fun to portray insane, egotistical fey as it is to listen to them, I'm sure.


I am, on the other hand, somewhat bored of my character. She was kind of made as a rush job due to lack of inspiration and impending deadlines, but meh. I don't actually know enough riddles to play her properly, so she gets kind of boring.

If you're bored with your character, do you want a change? You could have Ráwen leave and someone else join, or if you'd prefer to just alter the personality away from riddles a bit we could work out a way to do that believably. Especially given that this game was your idea in the first place, I don't want to see you dissatisfied with your character.

And that goes for everyone else, too--if you're not happy with your character or the way the game is heading at any point, just let me know and we can work something out.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-16, 03:42 PM
Erm. Yes, sort of. As in, not really sure what I want to do at this point, so I don't really know.

I'm also going to try to give Rawen a bit more of a cheshire cat personality; that might be amusing.

Demons_eye
2010-06-16, 04:40 PM
Erm. Yes, sort of. As in, not really sure what I want to do at this point, so I don't really know.

I'm also going to try to give Rawen a bit more of a cheshire cat personality; that might be amusing.

That would be awesome.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-16, 07:37 PM
Well, let me know what you want to do if you decide on something more drastic.

Fishy
2010-06-16, 07:55 PM
Glad to hear everyone likes this; it's as much fun to portray insane, egotistical fey as it is to listen to them, I'm sure.

Why, yes. Yes it is. :smallbiggrin:

Eurus
2010-06-17, 01:34 AM
In case that was even more vague than I intended, Mara's mother was actually a hag. (I know, technically not fae, but neither are sphinxes normally, so I figured it was fair game. :smalltongue:) More of a witchy Baba Yaga type than a Black Annis type, although she did her share of people eating. :smallamused:

DragoonWraith
2010-06-19, 12:24 PM
I didn't mean Lady Betrayer, I meant the Regent, our boss. Isn't she in charge of the Court of Summer? Or was it Spring?

Eurus
2010-06-19, 12:26 PM
I didn't mean Lady Betrayer, I meant the Regent, our boss. Isn't she in charge of the Court of Summer? Or was it Spring?

Ah. My bad. I'll edit. And I don't remember either. >_>

DragoonWraith
2010-06-19, 12:41 PM
First post says something about zephyrs, so I changed mine to Miss Zephyr.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-19, 12:42 PM
I didn't mean Lady Betrayer, I meant the Regent, our boss. Isn't she in charge of the Court of Summer? Or was it Spring?

She's one of the higher-ups in Summer, though not in charge.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-20, 01:36 PM
Ah, OK.

And the "Lady" that Tula scried on - is that the Regent of Winds, or is that Lady Betrayer?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-20, 01:43 PM
Ah, OK.

And the "Lady" that Tula scried on - is that the Regent of Winds, or is that Lady Betrayer?

The traitor. I've been referring to them as the Lady and Duke for simplicity, whereas the Regent is always the Regent.

Eurus
2010-06-20, 02:54 PM
The traitor. I've been referring to them as the Lady and Duke for simplicity, whereas the Regent is always the Regent.

Ditto, because I can't remember the Lady's name for the life of me despite having looked it up like three times.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-20, 03:00 PM
OK, sounds good.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-20, 03:23 PM
Ditto, because I can't remember the Lady's name for the life of me despite having looked it up like three times.

I wasn't expecting you to; unless you know how I derived the names (which you shouldn't, and if you do, get out of my head!), they're just so much gobbledegook, hence all the nicknames.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-20, 04:06 PM
Well, there was a Lady Sophi-something, which presumably has something to do with wisdom, sophia being Greek for wisdom...

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-20, 05:53 PM
It's actually Strophistos, so it's not related to wisdom, but you've got the right idea in terms of the approach.

Eurus
2010-06-21, 12:07 PM
I had to check again to make sure I didn't imagine it, but yeah, Tula has Divination written down as a prepared spell... :smallwink:

Fishy
2010-06-21, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I didn't prepare that this morning, because of all of the Scrying. Oops.

Eurus
2010-06-21, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I didn't prepare that this morning, because of all of the Scrying. Oops.

Oh, I see. Thought the spell list on the sheet was updated, sorry. Well, like I said, there's always good old pack mule Menelaos.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-24, 10:24 AM
Does no one else think it's more important to worry about what the Unseelie Queen of Air and Night thinks of our engaging in military action in her realm than what the Seelie Regent of the Winds thinks?

Demons_eye
2010-06-24, 10:33 AM
I thought we were in the real world?

DragoonWraith
2010-06-24, 11:36 AM
We are, but they're attacking the Queen, and I assume the Queen considers the area of the Real World around her Court to be her domain. At any rate, I'd think she'd be royally pissed if we didn't let her know posthaste.

Eurus
2010-06-24, 11:38 AM
Does no one else think it's more important to worry about what the Unseelie Queen of Air and Night thinks of our engaging in military action in her realm than what the Seelie Regent of the Winds thinks?

Oh, I wasn't sure of what court the attack was targeted on. But yeah, I suppose so. You tell her. :smalltongue:

Fishy
2010-06-25, 06:30 AM
Speaking of telling people things:


As with all divination (scrying) spells, the sensor has your full visual acuity, including any magical effects. In addition, the following spells have a 5% chance per caster level of operating through the sensor: detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law, detect magic, and message.

Except that Druids and thus Spirit Shamans can't cast message, and I couldn't figure out a way to get it onto Tula's spell list, which means she can't play Mission Control, which makes me sad.

I can just wait around until Level 10, when she becomes a Loremaster and gets Use Magic Device and a wand, but a command-word item of message, at a respectable caster level, would be really cool, and not an implausible thing for the Empire to have lying around. >.>

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-25, 09:17 AM
I can just wait around until Level 10, when she becomes a Loremaster and gets Use Magic Device and a wand, but a command-word item of message, at a respectable caster level, would be really cool, and not an implausible thing for the Empire to have lying around. >.>

Well, you should hopefully be leveling soon if you manage to singlehandedly stop the invasion do important things, so waiting until level 10 shouldn't be too long. On the wand, did you really mean the Courts instead of the Empire, or are you planning to go around killing the Imperial leaders? Stab "No message wand there..." Bang "...or here..." Crunch "...or here..." Boom "...doesn't anyone carry one of these things...?"


It seems people are confused about where you are and who's who and other plot-related stuff (which is understandable, 'cause I'm basically making it up as I go along :smallbiggrin:), so would you like me to write up a summary of what's happened so far and descriptions of all the important people so you all have something to refer back to?