PDA

View Full Version : Epic Anti-Wizard Inevitable

Lysander
2010-03-30, 11:27 PM
Genesis. If anything mucks up the natural order of the universe its people making their own universes. I think there should be an inevitable specifically designed to destroy private demiplanes. Like all inevitables they would only react to major provocation. A tiny little material plane physics demiplane with just a castle in it wouldn't attract their attention. A city sized private universe with custom made laws of physics and timeflow might draw their ire.

How should this thing be statted out? Since it's fighting epic wizards (and psions) it probably needs the power to cast disjunction, arcane sight, and analyze dweomer at will. It needs magic immunity, plane shift and greater teleport at will, and some nasty attacks.

Most importantly it needs a special power to slowly shrink and unmake artificial planes. It might not primarily be out to kill the wizard, just to drive them off so it can destroy the intruding plane.

Deca
2010-03-31, 12:26 AM
Massively high spell resistance would probably be a very good start if you're hunting epic wizards.

Also, do Disjunctions stop Epic Magic? I'm a bit fuzzy on the Epic Spellcasing rules.

Lysander
2010-03-31, 12:34 AM
Massively high spell resistance would probably be a very good start if you're hunting epic wizards.

Also, do Disjunctions stop Epic Magic? I'm a bit fuzzy on the Epic Spellcasing rules.

I figure magic immunity (like golems) is better than SR.

Hmm. I'm not sure. I know epic magic is vulnerable to dispelling as normal but resistant to AMFs. I think disjunction would work normally against them.

Deca
2010-03-31, 01:03 AM
You said you wanted the Planar Destruction Ability to be slow right? Also, the Inevitable should probably get out right after it started the process.

Planar Decay (Su)

The Inevitable has succeeded in driving off the wizard, now it must complete it's job. To do this, it destroys the foundation of the plane, hastening it's decay and death.. This can only work in Demi-Planes due to their malleable nature. Once the Planar Decay has started, it cannot be stopped. It is a slow process, slow but inevitable.

A day after the Inevitable initiated the Decay, the temperature of the Plane begins to drop rapidly by two degrees (Celsius) per hour. It will continue dropping until it reaches just above Absolute Zero or the plane is destroyed.

Two Days after the Inevitable initiated the Decay, the Morphic Traits of the plane begin to go haywire. The Planes Morphic Trait switches to Highly Morphic if it wasn't so already. The landscape becomes alien and fluid. Holes leaving to the empty void between planes begin to appear

Three days after the Inevitable initiated the Decay, any magic in the Plane begins to drain out into the Void beyond. What magic is left is swirling and chaotic. Spell-Like Abilities cease to work entirely and casting spells count as casting in Wild Magic conditions.

Four days after the Decay started, more underlying metaphysical structures begin to go. The plane no longer has any Elemental, Energy or Alignment Traits. Gravity is ripped away from the plane, leaving most of it with No Gravity. A few patches may still exist where gravity exists, but is warped, counting as Objective Directional Gravity. Casting is now completely impossible.

Five days after...well, you're all screwed now. Time and Space are breaking into metaphysical streamers, stripping and warping from the demi-plane. Spatial dimensions are way off now. The plane counts as Infinite in size and is yet smaller than a dime. Some parts of the plane will be infinite in size while others may have shrunk into pinpricks. The Plane picks up the Erratic Time Trait if it did not so already as the time differences between the demiplane and the Material Plane increase. Different parts of the plane will have different time flows. On some parts, the next few hours may stretch on for generations and for others, they are gone in a blink of an eye.
May the Gods have mercy on anyone still inside the demiplane.

Six days after...
The plane is now inescapable by any means. There is no way out. Dimensional walls break down, things from Outside break in.

Seventh Day. The demiplane breaks and is compressed into a single point before winking out of existance altogether.

peacenlove
2010-03-31, 02:22 AM
Mettle, improved evasion and the ability to roll saves even if they try to resist a spell with no saves is a minimum requirement to fight epic mages.
Also genesis is reversible (or i remember a 3.0 variant? i am confused) ie casting genesis with the reverse option destroys the demiplane.
Check some shadowcaster options and tricks. Some like line of shadow mystery ignore Line of Sight and Line of Effect, and warp spell acts like an improved version of counterspell. Also nocturmancer, i believe he is free on the net. Steal some abilities from him.
If epic levels include epic spellcasting there is no reason not to give your inevitable some.

(however that raises a question. How would inevitables that hunt down epic magic be statted? Don't forget high powered spells are draining for the magic weave thats why mystra put a limit to them.)

Lysander
2010-03-31, 02:42 AM
Maybe it can cast Genesis 1/day, but only uses it to reverse the growth of demiplane. That way it slowly but surely shrinks any demiplane into nothingness. Maybe it tries to avoid combat when possible. Instead it shifts into the demiplane, casts reverse Genesis, then shifts away for 24 hours until it can cast Genesis again. Since it doesn't cost it xp to cast the spell it can erode away a plane and casters don't have the xp to regrow it.

How about giving it Superb Dispelling at will, with a level 30 ECL? It can also have some counterspelling feats to back it up.

Deca
2010-03-31, 02:54 AM
I would give it some really long range attacks, to allow for wizard-sniping and then it can teleport in really close and maul the target with a massive melee bonus.
If you give it Vorpal attacks, it could teleport in, decapitate the wizard in the surprise round and teleport out before the minions can really respond. Nice :smallbiggrin:

peacenlove
2010-03-31, 03:14 AM
Maybe it can cast Genesis 1/day, but only uses it to reverse the growth of demiplane. That way it slowly but surely shrinks any demiplane into nothingness. Maybe it tries to avoid combat when possible. Instead it shifts into the demiplane, casts reverse Genesis, then shifts away for 24 hours until it can cast Genesis again. Since it doesn't cost it xp to cast the spell it can erode away a plane and casters don't have the xp to regrow it.

How about giving it Superb Dispelling at will, with a level 30 ECL? It can also have some counterspelling feats to back it up.

That idea may sound better for some campaign styles, however inevitables aren't known for their subtlety. All types do not reverse the transgression, but kill the transgressors, and even use dirty fighting to achieve their ends (such as the inevitable that hunts time-abusing mages yet casts time stop without second thoughts).

Deca
2010-03-31, 03:19 AM
I'm looking at the rules for Genesis and I don't see how it's reversed by simply casting Genesis again.

Harperfan7
2010-03-31, 03:59 AM
Take a gander at the Crystal in my sig. It's specifically designed to be a pain in the ass to wizards (but still beatable).

peacenlove
2010-03-31, 04:46 AM
I'm looking at the rules for Genesis and I don't see how it's reversed by simply casting Genesis again.

Then its most certainly a relic of my knowledge of 3.0 edition :smallsigh:

Lysander
2010-03-31, 04:51 AM
I guess they'll have a unique "Reverse Genesis" ability. Here's a scary idea. The inevitable is surrounded by a 300ft radius Forbiddance effect that affects everyone but it. Once it enters a small plane people often can't escape.

Deca
2010-03-31, 05:07 AM
I guess they'll have a unique "Reverse Genesis" ability. Here's a scary idea. The inevitable is surrounded by a 300ft radius Forbiddance effect that affects everyone but it. Once it enters a small plane people often can't escape.

Oooh. Nice.

Lysander
2010-03-31, 06:54 AM
Okay, so to recap current abilities:

*Reverse Genesis at will (shrinks radius of artificial planes by 1ft/day until the plane is entirely deleted)
*300ft radius forbiddance effect (excluding the damaging effect)
*Disjunction at will
*Analyze Dweomer at will
*Continuous True Seeing
*Plane shift at will
*Greater teleport at will
*Magic Immunity

Here are some other things I think could also work:

*Gate/2 day (cannot use calling function)
*Antimagic Field at will (10ft to 30ft radius however it wants)
*Dimensional Anchor at will
*Spellcasting: They can cast spells as a level 20 wizard. However they find doing so very distasteful, and never prepare spells except to challenge a wizard who has defeated them previously (if they escape) that they need an extra advantage against.
*Plane Sense (automatically sense the existence and location of all artificial planes)
*Continous Protection from Chaos
*Continuous Arcane Sight

Deca
2010-03-31, 07:03 AM
Give it some kind of direct offensive power and I think that'll be all the special abilities it's going to need. Now you need to give it some suitably epic stats.

Baron Corm
2010-03-31, 07:56 AM
I don't think you can have an anti-wizard. If you did, he'd learn about this, and bring a fighter bodyguard along, no magical influence required. I think the focus should be on trapping the wizard in his own demiplane, which is then destroyed, or shrunk and kept in a lunchbox, whatever. Possibly give the inevitable a power to sneak into the demiplane when the wizard isn't there, disarm any magical traps or safeguards, call the wizard from wherever he is, and immediately bind him, so that no fighting even takes place. Not that it should be that easy, but fighting epic wizards is fairly all-or-nothing.

Maybe demiplanes have a certain weak point or power center that the inevitable has to access, so that if he does reach that point, he earned it. Maybe he has to go to neighboring demiplanes and convince the inhabitants to help him with a smooshing ritual. There's some pretty interesting ways to go about making it less of a deus ex machina but I don't want to go on since you might not like the idea in the first place.

Sereg
2010-03-31, 09:46 AM
You might want to look at this for inspiration:

Galadiut
Large Construct (Extraplanar, Lawful)
HD 34d10+60 (247 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); fly 30 ft. (perfect)
Init: +8
AC 49; touch 17; flat-footed 45 (+20 natural, +11 +3 full plate of reinforcement, +4 deflection, +2 Dex, +2 insight, -1 size)
BAB +25; Grp +45
Attack Slam +40 melee (3d6+16 + 3d6 sonic and crystal petrified) or core ray +29 ranged touch (2d6+7 + 3d8+7 force, x3) or +4 frost harrowing greatsword +44 melee (4d6+20 + 1d6 cold + 2d6 negative energy, 17-20/x2)
Full Attack 2 slams +40 melee (3d6+16 + 3d6 sonic and crystal petrified) and core ray +24 ranged touch (2d6+7 + 3d8+7 force, x3) or +4 frost harrowing greatsword +44/+39/+34/+29 melee (4d6+20 + 1d6 cold + 2d6 negative energy, 17-20/x2) or core ray +24/+24/+24/+24 ranged touch (2d6+7 + 3d8+7 force, x3)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Powered strike, core ray, crystal petrify, orbs of the absolute, cosmic gaze
Special Qualities Core, multitask, construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, chaotic resistance 20, cold immunity, DR 30/chaotic or adamantine, SR 40, fast healing 20, ioun stones, spell-like abilities
Saves Fort +15 Ref +25 Will +24
Abilities Str 42, Dex 19, Con -, Int 24, Wis 29, Cha 25
Skills Balance +28, Bluff +37, Concentration +33, Diplomacy +37, Intimidate +37, Jump +40, Knowledge (the planes) +37, Listen +39, Search +37, Sense Motive +39, Spot +39
Feats Improved Natural Weapon (slam), Awesome Blow (B), Power Attack, Alertness (EB), Flyby Attack, Improved Flyby Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Dodge, Epic Reflexes (Epic), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Improved Critical (greatsword), Improved Initiative
Environment Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 25
Treasure Special
Alignment Always lawful neutral
Advancement 35-60 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment -

Galadiuts are the highest inevitables, enforcing the absoluteness of planar law.

Galadiuts stand ten feet tall. Their armored forms are blue and black, with traces of gold and silver circuitry. Through the construct's joints, a dim blue glow highlights a miniature universe of gears, pistons, pulleys and silver sparks of energy. Bound to the galadiut's chest is an orb that pulses with a silver-blue glow, anchored by two large conduits that sweep back to the construct's shoulders. Two more from underneath the galadiut's arms join the core from below, forming a distincive X. The galadiut's head reveals more clockwork; its blue and black plates have slight gaps to accomodate the only two features: A single, long crystal that serves as eyes, and a basic mouth plate. Behind the construct's back, a large black greatsword with blue-glowing edges spins on an axis parallel to the ground, and a glowing orbit of three ioun stones trails around its head.

Galadiuts exist to enforce the inevitability of planar law. They seal planar rifts, prevent layers from sliding, restore gate towns and defend crystal spheres. Beyond varakhuts, galadiuts are the final boundary to killing a god. Beyond quaruts, galadiuts remove the offender. They are dreaded by the forces of chaos and those forces of law that attempt to encroach on the absolute balance. Asmodeus, Grazz't and Demogorgon still keep the helms of the galadiuts they have defeated, and it is rumored that even the fearsome Ygorl bears a scar from a galadiut's sword.

Combat
In combat, a galadiut begins by summoning Twinned Mordenkainen's swords and Otiluke's telekinetic spheres to occupy the target's allies. Galadiuts prefer to use slam attacks on less important targets. They will only use their orbs if the target poses a serious threat. A galadiut must at all times defend cosmic law and order; it may have to let its target escape to rectify the damage done.

Powered Strike (Ex) Galadiuts are specially engineered to strike with more force than normal. A galadiut's weapons are treated as though they were one size higher when calculating damage, and the galadiut has Awesome Blow as a bonus feat.

Core Ray (Su) A galadiut's core can emit a powerful beam of energy. While engaged in combat, the galadiut can fire either a single burst or a continual beam. The continual beam must be fired at a single target, but iterative attacks have no penalty. Additionally, each successful hit with the continual beam imparts a cumulative +6 synergy bonus to iterative attacks for the round. As an example, assuming all four beams hit, the attack bonuses would be +24/+30/+36/+42. The core ray's range increment is 30 ft.

Crystal petrify (Sp) A galadiut's touch brings cosmic law to bear against the recipient. On a successful slam attack, the victim must make a Fortitude save (DC 36) or be coated in a crystalline shell that replicates the effects of temporal stasis cast by a 25th level sorcerer. Psionic creatures gain a +4 bonus to their saving throw. On a lawful plane, the DC increases by 4. On a chaotic plane, the DC is reduced by 6. any sort of protection from lawful effects protects a creature from crystal petrify.

Cosmic Gaze (Su) As a standard action, the galadiut may activate a gaze attack against one creature it has a line of sight to. That creature must make a Will saving throw (DC 34) or be transfixed by a beam of cosmic light running from the galadiut's eye to the victims' eyes. Each round that the creature is transfixed, it is helpless. Additionally, it must make a Fortitude save (DC 34) or have its body filled with cosmic energy dealing 4d8 damage. The galadiut may only use its cosmic gaze on one creature at a time. Interrupting the connecting beam ends the effect.

Core (Ex) The galadiut's core functions as its connection to the power of cosmic law. While active, it imparts shield of law and foresight to the galadiut, and allows the use of core rays, crystal petrify and cosmic gaze. The galadiut may voluntarily remove its core, which functions as a lawful orb of the absolute (see below). A character may make a Sunder attempt (DC 16) to strike the core. The core has hardness 20 and 45 hp. Without the core, a galadiut loses all of these powers, and automatically ceases functioning in one minute (10 rounds.)

Multitask (Ex) The complex clockwork that empowers the galadiut allows it to run multiple cognitive tasks simultaneously. The galadut may make any number of Concentration checks that would normally take a full action or less as a free action, although it may only take one Concentration check per effect.

Ioun stones A galadiut has three ioun stones: incandescent blue, deep blue and pale lavender. The incandescent blue stone grants a +2 Wisdom bonus, the deep blue stone gives it the Alertness feat and the pale lavender one can absorb up to 20 spell levels of spells 4th level or lower.

Orbs of the Absolute Each galadiut is issued four orbs of the absolute upon forging, which hover near the galadiut as it directs. As a standard action, the galadiut may seize an orb and activate it. Each orb acts as an empowered meteor swarm spell cast by a 20th level wizard (save DC 28). Instead of fire damage, each orb deals lawful, chaotic, holy or profane damage. Survivors are then hit with the corresponding effect: holy word, word of chaos, dictum or blasphemy. A galadiut is initially issued one of each, and they are never replaced.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp) At will - plane shift, ethereal jaunt, Otiluke's telekinetic sphere, enervation, greater dispelling, magic circle against chaos, crushing despair, dictum, order's wrath, dimension door, true seeing, dimensional anchor, dismissal, circle of death, hold monster. 3/day - power word stun, forcecage, power word blind, greater planar ally, seal planar rift* (lawful only), Twinned Mordenkainen's sword, dominate monster. 1/day - implosion, gate (lawful only), power word kill, Mordenkainen's disjunction. These are as the spells cast by a 20th level sorcerer.

Reinforcement Armor ability: Grants 30 additional hit points while worn. Moderate transmutation; Caster level 10th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, stoneskin; price +3 bonus.

Harrowing Weapon ability: Deals +2d6 negative energy damage on a successful hit. Creatures with negative energy protection are unaffected. Heals 2d6 damage when it strikes an undead or negative energy creature. Moderate necromancy, Caster level 9th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, inflict critical wounds, creator cannot be good; price +2 bonus.

Twin Spell-Like Ability - Produce a doubled effect, as though the ability was used twice simultaneously.

Seal planar rift - Described below

Lysander
2010-03-31, 12:57 PM
You might want to look at this for inspiration:

Wow. That is pretty awesome. That makes me want to make this less of a warrior since that would redundant. Instead how about making them a demolition crew?

Here's an idea for its primary attack method. I'm also going to propose a tentative name for the inevitable that maybe you'll recognize: Langolyarut.

Nondimensional Spheres (Ex)
When on an artificially created demiplane a langolyarut may as a standard action create in their hand an orb of nothingness that destroys almost everything it touches. The orb functions exactly like a sphere of annihilation except only the langolyarut that created it can control its movement, they can move it at any range, they can pass through it freely without harm, and they can see and hear from it as if it were a scrying sensor. The langolyarut can dismiss any number of spheres as a free action.

Spheres cannot leave the artificial demiplane they were created on, and cease to exist if the langolyarut leaves the plane or dies. There is no limit to the number of spheres a langolyarut can have in existence at one time. The langolyarut can move up to thirty spheres of its choice each round on its turn as a free action, up to sixty as a move action, and up to ninety as a full round action.

Itous
2010-03-31, 01:43 PM
crazy thought for you there good sir, but i recently made aclass called "plane master" what it can do is summon areas of another plane of existance, perhaps yours can do the same but in reverse, so you transport small chunks of the demi plane into the material plane or something equal to it, letting the larger plane take dominance over the smaller plane making the smaller plane takeon the laws of physics for the more dominant plane.

if that makes any sense, hope it helps

Itous

Iferus
2010-03-31, 02:15 PM
Dimensional Collapse(su)
As a move action, a xxxxxx can destroy a small nondimensional space (such as a bag of holding or a portable hole) within 100 ft. The nondimension is entitled to a reflex save DC 40 when in the form of a magic item (as usual).

Harperfan7
2010-03-31, 07:36 PM
Did afroakuma make that? That was awesome.

Sereg
2010-04-01, 09:37 AM
Did afroakuma make that?

Yes, he did.

That was awesome.

Yes, it was. That thread and his corresponding Limbo thread made me into a rabid afroakuma fan.

Eldan
2010-04-01, 10:02 AM
Hmm...

Enforced Causality (ex)
The Inevitable's actions never trigger contingencies.

Something along those lines. The name doesn't make much sense, but it would help.

Zeful
2010-04-01, 10:50 AM
Hmm...

Enforced Causality (ex)
The Inevitable's actions never trigger contingencies.

Something along those lines. The name doesn't make much sense, but it would help.

Or Crushing Dispel (EX): The inevitable may release a energy from it's body, which spreads as a burst effect with a radius of 50ft. Any magic items, active spells, are affected as per the spell Dispel Magic, though the inevtiable's bonus to the check is instead twice his HD. Contingency effects that would trigger on the activation of this ability instead have to wait for the Crushing Dispel to resolve before they can activate.

Lysander
2010-04-01, 11:04 AM
A terrifying idea. You know how a colossus projects an antimagic field? Here's one better:

Disjunction Field (Su)
The inevitable is surrounded by a 50-meter radius disjunction field. This functions like an antimagic field, except everything in its area is also subject to the effects of a mage's disjunction spell at the start of each round. The inevitable may suppress this field, or have it only function like an antimagic field, as a free action. A disjunction field does not affect artifacts.