PDA

View Full Version : Tactics of the morbidly obese

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-30, 11:48 PM
I had an idea recently for a character or a monster. Using a book of vile darkness deformity obese. Basically your character is 3x its normal weight... so for a human thats 250 x 3= 750lbs could go more definitely. but thats really heavy.

So then I thought about creative tactics to fight with such a thing. Now some obvious ones were gas attack and breath weapons to add to flavor but then I got the idea of abusing fly. Of course... I don't know exactly how this works but heres the idea.

Fat man casts fly, then fat guy flys over an enemy lets say in this case a goblin; and then the fatty stops flying and just drops in order to do damage to the goblin... now, thats like 800+ weight dropping down at you fast (depending how high you go I suppose) so if your like 30-40ft above it... thats a fairly far drop and im sure you can definitely go shorter

But question is how would I figure out the damage for this sort of "Ground Pound" if you will?

Also any other ideas on how to use a characters obesity as a weapon?

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-30, 11:50 PM
Your charge would be funny....

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-30, 11:50 PM
Your charge would be funny....

Charge? haha that would be I can imagine tubby guy in spiked full plate just rushing at something

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-30, 11:51 PM
Bite attack + Swallow Whole?

Dragons have crush attacks...

...Leap Attack?

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-30, 11:52 PM
Bite attack + Swallow Whole?

Dragons have crush attacks...

My friend suggested that him falling on top of people would be a crush attack O.o

If an 800 pound human can swallow enemy whole I would find that scary...

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-30, 11:54 PM
The Flying Tub of Lard is amazing...the Charging Ball is amazing...Now what would Fat Man Grapple look like?...

on another note..why not use polymorph or any size spell to make yourself smaller when travelling and in battle become big or something of that sort....or increase your size...

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-30, 11:56 PM
You keep feats (and flaws) even when shapeshifted. So you could have some rather interesting situations when polymorphed into, say, a chocobo?

Olo Demonsbane
2010-03-30, 11:57 PM
There's a build involving dealing large amounts of damage by being an obese warforged and falling on people.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-30, 11:59 PM
There's a build involving dealing large amounts of damage by being an obese warforged and falling on people.That's what she said!

...Wait, what?

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-03-30, 11:59 PM
Heh. If you are going for a massive character, bite+swallow whole is a great pairing. Also, the nearest I can think of to what you are trying to do with the flop attack are the falling object rules that break the Hulking Hurler. In any case, you'd deal 1d6 for every 200 lbs your character is packing in addition to 1d6 for every additional 10 feet he dropped (max 20d6). The real problem is that your guy would be taking the distance fall damage as well. Better make the guy a troll or something so you can take the abuse.

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 12:01 AM
The Flying Tub of Lard is amazing...the Charging Ball is amazing...Now what would Fat Man Grapple look like?...

on another note..why not use polymorph or any size spell to make yourself smaller when travelling and in battle become big or something of that sort....or increase your size...

Enlarge Person, become twice as fat, eat medium sized creatures or sit on them...

Wow I just realized... You guys have any idea how embarrassing that must be to the monsters who get killed by fatman?

Previously on the adventures of fly tubby lard man: Fatman:"BOMBS AWAY" Goblin: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!"

*Goblin ends up in the afterlife as a squashed pancake. all other dead people laugh at him*

That is really embarrassing "I got killed by flying buttcheeks!"

Thrawn183
2010-03-31, 12:03 AM
I always wondered how you'd stat out Mario...

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-31, 12:04 AM
Enlarge Person, become twice as fat, eat medium sized creatures or sit on them...

Wow I just realized... You guys have any idea how embarrassing that must be to the monsters who get killed by fatman?

Previously on the adventures of fly tubby lard man: Fatman:"BOMBS AWAY" Goblin: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!"

*Goblin ends up in the afterlife as a squashed pancake. all other dead people laugh at him*

That is really embarrassing "I got killed by flying buttcheeks!"

Thats pretty good...

Yeah the falling will hurt you too..there has to be a way around it...can you tumble from a fall like that to avoid dmg? or reflex it?

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 12:07 AM
Heh. If you are going for a massive character, bite+swallow whole is a great pairing. Also, the nearest I can think of to what you are trying to do with the flop attack are the falling object rules that break the Hulking Hurler. In any case, you'd deal 1d6 for every 200 lbs your character is packing in addition to 1d6 for every additional 10 feet he dropped (max 20d6). The real problem is that your guy would be taking the distance fall damage as well. Better make the guy a troll or something so you can take the abuse.

Well I was referring to a Medium Creature that was Obese and gluttonous not really massive (not sure he could swallow something else medium sized or small sized whole but could be wrong)

The troll is a good idea because that fall damage will be hard.

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 12:09 AM
Thats pretty good...

Yeah the falling will hurt you too..there has to be a way around it...can you tumble from a fall like that to avoid dmg? or reflex it?

well you could argueablly tell the dm that your character is so fat that his rear end acts like a cushion for him and protects him from fall damage :smalltongue:

of course mine would say "lol no"

I think you would just need to tough it out. like someone said earlier troll is a good idea

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-31, 12:09 AM
I think the swallow whole would be a whole new thing to make your character supernatual and not so humurous.

I would suggest just going with the basic concept and try finding a way to soak the dmg...Work on a fun but simple concept...your break down doors should be fairly easy..and you might be able to enjoy this alot.

Yes about the dm saying no

Yes about the troll being nice and toughing it out

Just take alot of toughness feats lol

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 12:12 AM
I think the swallow whole would be a whole new thing to make your character supernatual and not so humurous.

I would suggest just going with the basic concept and try finding a way to soak the dmg...Work on a fun but simple concept...your break down doors should be fairly easy..and you might be able to enjoy this alot.

heres an idea, have your party carry a giant sling shot with you. your the bullet.

so its like those carnival games where you throw the baseball at the bottles only in this case your chucking a fat man at a group of orcs.

Or heres one. if your on a slope you could lay on your side and roll down and basically play bowling with goblins.

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-31, 12:14 AM
heres an idea, have your party carry a giant sling shot with you. your the bullet.

so its like those carnival games where you throw the baseball at the bottles only in this case your chucking a fat man at a group of orcs.

Or heres one. if your on a slope you could lay on your side and roll down and basically play bowling with goblins.

Good point on the slingshot...maybe enlarge object or that spell...on a slingshot and launch it?

Made a new thread based on what I read here.

Thanks.

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 12:17 AM
Good point on the slingshot...maybe enlarge object or that spell...on a slingshot and launch it?

Made a new thread based on what I read here.

Thanks.

mmhmmm... I think another good use for a ridiculously obese character would be... oooh grapples...

body slaming and pinning thats gotta hurt

Of course ont he other end of the spectrum...

this character would be kind of hard to maintain...

hes probably less physically capable than the others and getting through some obstacles may give him a hard time... or if you have to cross an old wooden bridge.... LOL that sucks. as soon as he steps on the bridge breaks.

He also has to keep eating in order to maintain his weight, and I couldn't imagine him being very mobile unless gravity helped him

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-31, 12:20 AM
mmhmmm... I think another good use for a ridiculously obese character would be... oooh grapples...

body slaming and pinning thats gotta hurt

Of course ont he other end of the spectrum...

this character would be kind of hard to maintain...

hes probably less physically capable than the others and getting through some obstacles may give him a hard time... or if you have to cross an old wooden bridge.... LOL that sucks. as soon as he steps on the bridge breaks.

He also has to keep eating in order to maintain his weight, and I couldn't imagine him being very mobile unless gravity helped him

I thought I suggested that farther up....you can polymorph self to a smaller version or shrink self if you can to get you going...

sofawall
2010-03-31, 12:22 AM
I think the Warforged was fat enough he did 20d6 falling damage using only Swordsage maneuvers to teleport above the enemy.

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 12:26 AM
I thought I suggested that farther up....you can polymorph self to a smaller version or shrink self if you can to get you going...

Yes you did my mistake. the smaller can help him travel faster he could also get a mount but,

awwwww... thats just mean.... :smallfrown:

he would crush the poor pony...

He's going to need one hell of a mount

Mando Knight
2010-03-31, 12:26 AM

No good. Mario's often joked about as being rather overweight, but he's not BoVD-obese, he's only medically obese at most. BoVD-obese is for those people that you look at and wonder, as a more normally-sized person, how they actually do things.

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 12:27 AM
No good. Mario's often joked about as being rather overweight, but he's not BoVD-obese, he's only medically obese at most. BoVD-obese is for those people that you look at and wonder, as a more normally-sized person, how they actually do things.

Yep! of course Mario would have an insane jump skill

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-31, 12:31 AM
Why not play a bigger creature? so your obesity would be so much more.

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 12:33 AM
Why not play a bigger creature? so your obesity would be so much more.

hmmmmm... yes very good idea. of course the big guys tend to have LA (not that I mind LA, my DM's do hehehe...)

but yeah a 400 ton hillgiant.... oh snap.

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-31, 12:34 AM
hmmmmm... yes very good idea. of course the big guys tend to have LA (not that I mind LA, my DM's do hehehe...)

but yeah a 400 ton hillgiant.... oh snap.

There have to be some that arent..and also think about the feats that enlarge you...

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 12:35 AM
There have to be some that arent..and also think about the feats that enlarge you...

I know Half Ogres are large size and get a +1 but thats about it and im sure its possible to make one. of course then again... couldn't achieving a certain weight or height make you a large creature?

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-31, 12:37 AM
I know Half Ogres are large size and get a +1 but thats about it and im sure its possible to make one. of course then again... couldn't achieving a certain weight or height make you a large creature?

It should but dms will be harsh about that....look in to making your self a larger category and just keep increasing weight.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-31, 12:37 AM
oh snap.What's the sound of one neck snapping?

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-31, 12:40 AM
What's the sound of one neck snapping?

The same sound as the other 5 he fell on.

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 12:40 AM
It should but dms will be harsh about that....look in to making your self a larger category and just keep increasing weight.

Yeah I am sure there is some race out there that is large... maybe some kind of outsider? I shall have to check

sofawall
2010-03-31, 12:46 AM
Yeah I am sure there is some race out there that is large... maybe some kind of outsider? I shall have to check

Of course there are large races. None at ECL 1, but there are many.

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 12:47 AM
Of course there are large races. None at ECL 1, but there are many.

yes I'm looking there has to be a few ones that arent so hard on LA or ECL... maybe an anthropomorphic?

ryzouken
2010-03-31, 03:26 AM
A buddy of mine developed an epic threat (lv 21+) that he affectionately calls "The Bloated One" (which has become a revolting, bile inducing legend amongst our group) consisting of one corpulent, diseased b*sterd of a mage and his cohort (which expands, pun not intended, to encompass any new beastie that catches his eye). He's yet to spring it upon us, but each time he takes the DM chair, there is a chorus of "No Bloat!"

I'm not entirely certain what exactly the thing does anymore, but it is disturbing on levels many of us didn't know we had.

Rhydeble
2010-03-31, 03:45 AM
just build an obese guy with a penchant for charging, but instead of running towards your enemies, just make sure you have an ally with max ranks in profession: bowling.

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-31, 03:46 AM
I like the above idea....have someone play a bowler...they could use all kinds of rocks and stuff....

another idea...isnt it halflings that get a bonus to throwing?

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-31, 04:12 AM
yes I'm looking there has to be a few ones that arent so hard on LA or ECL... maybe an anthropomorphic?

Anthropomorphic characters tend to have LA and RHD. Some few only have RHD but I think they are mostly small.

You could play a Goliath which gives you 'mostly large'. They have an LA +1 as well though. Short of a permanent enlarge, I don't think there's any realistic (that is, what a DM will realistically allow) way to be large without LA or those feats/class features that increase your size.

Interesting thing about Goliath. Goliath Barbarian can take Mountain Rage which makes them actually increase in size when raging. Incidentally, Halfling Barbarians can as well.

obnoxious
sig

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-31, 04:13 AM
Anthropomorphic characters tend to have LA and RHD. Some few only have RHD but I think they are mostly small.

You could play a Goliath which gives you 'mostly large'. They have an LA +1 as well though. Short of a permanent enlarge, I don't think there's any realistic (that is, what a DM will realistically allow) way to be large without LA or those feats/class features that increase your size.

Interesting thing about Goliath. Goliath Barbarian can take Mountain Rage which makes them actually increase in size when raging. Incidentally, Halfling Barbarians can as well.

obnoxious
sig

Your best idea might be to ask your DM to put you into the -s for exp for a while or allow you to do something to get a LA +1 thats not that great but gives you large size. Then figure out a way to abuse your big guy goes plop idea.

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-31, 04:26 AM
Maug + Incarnate Construct? :smallconfused:

At least, I think that should work... :smallcool:

I mean, you still have some RHD, but you're very much large and in charge. :smalltongue:

marjan
2010-03-31, 04:52 AM
Antropomorphic Baleen Whale is large with 3 RHD and no LA.

pjackson
2010-03-31, 04:58 AM
If you have a strong stomach have a look at Pathfinder module 3 - Horror of Hook Mountain - Mama Graul.

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-31, 04:58 AM
Antropomorphic Baleen Whale is large with 3 RHD and no LA.

That might be a good one....it would be like that whale from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy but onto someones face....

hamishspence
2010-03-31, 05:47 AM
I know Half Ogres are large size and get a +1 but thats about it

They're LA +1 in Savage Species, but LA +2 in Races of Destiny.

On charging: maybe they could get belly-wheels, a la Judge Dredd?

Tyrmatt
2010-03-31, 05:52 AM
I like the idea of the flab being mentally controlled by the "wearer". Take a sword swing to the gut and the flab closes around the blade, stopping the attacker from withdrawing it. Free disarm check every time you undergo a melee attack sounds good to me.

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-31, 06:04 AM
I like the idea of the flab being mentally controlled by the "wearer". Take a sword swing to the gut and the flab closes around the blade, stopping the attacker from withdrawing it. Free disarm check every time you undergo a melee attack sounds good to me.

I agree...to the point where I might gain some weight.

Amphetryon
2010-03-31, 06:16 AM
Didn't one of the land speed record builds over at WotC need to be Obese for some part of it to work? I always thought that was lol-worthy.

ka_bna
2010-03-31, 06:20 AM
1. Be big and very heavy (like the mentioned whale, though I lack stats).
2. Get yourself catapulted miles high.
3. Let someone cast Enlarge Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/EnlargePerson.htm)on yourself (weight x8).
4. Let someone cast Iron body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironBody.htm)on yourself (weight x10).
5. Find a way to overcome damage.
6. Fall down and crush whatever orc/dungeon/city is beneath you.
7. Leave a nice crater as a landmark.

Weight will multiply by 18x (using crit rules) or 80x (using common sense).

Alternative route:
5. Now you're so heavy you will have your own gravity and objects will circle around you.

Drend
2010-03-31, 06:29 AM
Am I the only one who has thought of Baron Harkonnen from Dune?

Erts
2010-03-31, 06:31 AM

I once read somewhere on the forum that it would be a monk with tons of points in jump.:smallbiggrin:

megabyter5
2010-03-31, 06:44 AM
IIRC, isn't Reduce Person dismissable by the caster? If so, then what if you shrunk fatman, shot him out of a big slingshot or similar contraption, and dismissed the spell before he hit the enemy? I don't remember if dismissing takes an action, but if it does, caster can just ready an action to make fatman grow again.

That sounds hilarious.

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-31, 06:48 AM
Weight will multiply by 18x (using crit rules) or 80x (using common sense).
The latter is correct.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/thebasics.htm
When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead. A creature whose size doubles (thus multiplying its weight by 8) and then is turned to stone (which would multiply its weight by a factor of roughly 3) now weighs about 24 times normal, not 10 times normal. Similarly, a blinded creature attempting to negotiate difficult terrain would count each square as 4 squares (doubling the cost twice, for a total multiplier of ×4), rather than as 3 squares (adding 100% twice).

I feel I should point out that you can't have someone else cast iron body for you though, as it is range - personal.

obnoxious
sig

AbyssKnight
2010-03-31, 07:11 AM
Rather than actually being a Large race, a human character could take Jotunbrud from Forgotten Realms, gives the Powerful Build/almost Large feature similar to Half Giants or Goliaths. It mentions in the feat new base hieght and weight.

Farlion
2010-03-31, 07:43 AM
Somehow it just hit me, that you could make the fat a sentient being. I know, it sounds sick, ......it is.

Maybe give it some spellcasting, then the "fat" could cast "personal" spells on his "master".

Cheers,
Farlion

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 09:18 AM
Somehow it just hit me, that you could make the fat a sentient being. I know, it sounds sick, ......it is.

Maybe give it some spellcasting, then the "fat" could cast "personal" spells on his "master".

Cheers,
Farlion

thats epic. truly epic

Closak
2010-03-31, 09:34 AM
I remember a obese Red Dragon we ran into once.

Collosal sized Red Dragon that weights nearly 4 times as much as normal for it's size, the thing was basically gluttony incarnate, it ate everything in it's way.

Our reaction was something along the lines of "HOLY SHI- *Get's eaten*"

Turns out it had run into some sort of Far Realms monstrosity that was responsible for it's condition.

Great, a Great Wyrm Red that eats literally everything in it's way.

This was at level 15 :smallannoyed::smalleek:
Direct confrontation = Not a good idea.

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 03:25 PM
A fat person could also be a good wrestler. Maybe a reaping mauler? I mean that has to be a rough grapple to escape...

Glimbur
2010-03-31, 04:45 PM
Throw in some levels of Totemist or take Shape Soulmeld: Blink Shirt. Now you can dimension door short range at will. I suggest teleporting over your foes.

Nerocite
2010-03-31, 04:56 PM
Dragonborn with wings take only 1d6 falling damage, no matter the height.

Darrin
2010-03-31, 04:56 PM
Nobody has mentioned 4500 lbs. of stupid (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19863510/4500_lbs._of_Stupid?pg=1) yet?

tsk tsk tsk.

Touchy
2010-03-31, 05:00 PM
Dragonborn with wings take only 1d6 falling damage, no matter the height.

The only alignment he likes to play is evil, and dragonborn get screwed over if they happen to go evil, or anything non-good I believe.

This comes from playing with this guy, he loves his evil.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-31, 05:05 PM
The only alignment he likes to play is evil, and dragonborn get screwed over if they happen to go evil, or anything non-good I believe.

This comes from playing with this guy, he loves his evil.

There's a feat that does the same thing as Dragonborn wings, minus the 6th level Flight improvement.

There's also the Shape Soulmeld (Pegasus Cloak) feat. Feather Fall constantly.

Nobody has mentioned 4500 lbs. of stupid (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19863510/4500_lbs._of_Stupid?pg=1) yet?

tsk tsk tsk.

Forgive me for not doing so.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-31, 06:00 PM
I cannot believe that no one has mentioned Flaming Homer, the Bowling Ball of Doom yet, considering the topic...

The Rabbler
2010-03-31, 06:13 PM
you could always put landing on the armor. -40ft to your falling damage is always fun.

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 07:05 PM
you could always put landing on the armor. -40ft to your falling damage is always fun.

where do you find landing armor?

ArcanistSupreme
2010-03-31, 07:14 PM
where do you find landing armor?

MIC, pg 12. And it negates the first 60 ft, not 40.

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-31, 07:33 PM
MIC, pg 12. And it negates the first 60 ft, not 40.

In the words of the oblivion begger...

"Thank ye kind sir!"

ka_bna
2010-04-01, 05:21 PM
Done a bit of work, though do correct me where I'm wrong, as 960,000 lb does seem a but much...

- An humanoid anthropomorphic (baleen) whale weighs up to 4,000 lb (MM p. 314). Let’s assume this is maxed, as no other weight is given. As whales are mostly heavy, I think this is reasonable.
- Going by Willing Deformity: Obese, the weight triples to 12,000 lb.
- Because the whale is humanoid, enlarge person can be cast on it. Weight x8 makes 96,000 lb.
- Cast Iron Body on yourself, making you an enlarged iron obese anthropomorphic baleen whale. Weight x10 gives us 960,000 lb, or 435456 kg, roughly 4 tonnes.
- Now have fun with teleporting into the air and slamming down. Or, if your opponent spiderclimbs himself on the ceiling, repeatedly slam him by casting reverse gravity with the correct range. Don’t forget to take the aforementioned landing armor (MiC p. 12) to take no damage yourself.
- Make yourself invisible fore more crushing fun! (and mirror image for more illusory heavyweights)

Necessary ingredients:
A Anthropomorphic baleen whale Wiz 15 with 3 racial HD (ECL 18), a small piece of iron that was once part of either an iron golem, a hero’s armor, or a war machine and a pinch of powdered iron.

hamishspence
2010-04-01, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=ka_bna;8201121] Weight x10 gives us 960,000 lb, or 435456 kg, roughly 4 tonnes.
QUOTE]

1 tonne is 1000 kg.

You're looking at over four hundred tonnes- ouch!

MM does give both a minimum and a maximum for a Large creature- minimum is 500 pounds, maximum is 4000 pounds.

This range is occasionally broken though- despite being Large creatures, winter wolves are only 450 pounds, for example.

ka_bna
2010-04-02, 05:13 AM
Gestalt gives more fun:
Gnome (just because) Drd 17//Wiz 17 with Beastskin armor of Landing (MiC p.7 and 12), Natural Spell and Eschew Materials.
- Cast Time Stop (maximized if possible) and Greater Invisibility
- Wildshape into an Orca (MM p.283), a huge animal. Huge animals weigh 2-16 tons (MM p. 314). Let’s assume average, 9 tons (9.000 kg).
- As you retain your own subtype, cast Enlarge Person on yourself. “This spell causes instant growth of a (humanoid) creature”, so you as an orca grow to Gargantuan. Weight x8 means 9 tonsx8 = 72 tons.
- Teleport yourself 60 ft above the enemy.
- Cast Iron Body on yourself (weight x10). And wait till you drop. Congratulations, the orc has just been slammed by an invisible gargantuan iron orca weighing 720 tons. He never saw it coming!

NB. Time Stop and invisibility are just for fun. If you'd rather just do it without them, you can do this with Drd 15//Wiz 15.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-02, 10:17 AM
A Totemist can get a soulmeld called Blink Shirt. At L2, it can teleport up to 20' as a move action.

Psionics gives you expansion, for x64 weight if high enough ML, and then a single teleport above the opponent will deal a ridiculous amount of damage...starting weight of 600 including armor gives a total of 192d6 damage. You take 1d6.

Overkill with changing shape is all well and good, but is a very one-trick pony. This lets you do it as a move action, and leaves most of your build free to deal with as you want, provided you play a psionic char. (I'd go psywar, and build in a few other tricks)