PDA

View Full Version : Goblins playtest IC

Kensen
2010-03-31, 02:38 AM
This is the IC thread for rolling, etc. You can roleplay your character if you wish, but it's not necessary in the playtest scenarios. You can ask OoC questions either here or the other thread.

Anyway, the servants of Kaljuk are trying to enter the temple district of Gobberheim through the gate that's right behind your backs. They're going to defile the temple of Pyrhekk, and you must stop them. Show no mercy! :smallbiggrin:

Roll init (D100 +25 if you have Quick reflexes).

Bad guys init:

[roll0]

If your goblin moves, please change his location on the battle grid. It should be editable. Feel free to make any notes on the sheet.

Here's the grid. (http://www.editgrid.com/user/kensen/Kill_the_servants_of_Kaljuk!)

Kensen
2010-03-31, 02:41 AM
Trying again:

[roll0]

If you beat their init, you can act immediately.

Lord Loss
2010-03-31, 05:35 AM
Initiative Roll:[roll0]

If I win, I move to S7 and attack the nearby goblin.

EDIt: if the goblins are at the end, what are those symbols that look like gobbo heads?

Kensen
2010-03-31, 05:47 AM
They're goblin citizens. I wanted to experiment with the use of graphical tokens, sorry about the confusion.

EDIT: Your character has quick reflexes, so you actually beat their initiative. I changed the evil goblins' starting location so that it's possible to attack them in the first round if you move closer to them. You can roll D100 and add your accuracy% to the result. I'll subtract the goblin's defense% and if the result is still above 50, it's a hit. (Previously, the rules stated that you the result has to be under 50, but that seemed counter-intuitive so I decided to change it.)

curtis
2010-03-31, 01:53 PM
Rolling initiative:

[roll0]

Cieyrin
2010-03-31, 02:10 PM
Cerag's Initiative: [roll0]

Looks like Cerag is going first, so move to P5, readying Crimson Needle (Cerag's Bronze Spear) for combat.

The Grid is indeed editable and Cerag has a snazzy avvy, now =3

Lord Loss
2010-03-31, 04:23 PM
Actually, I'll move to R8 and attack the nearest grunt or spearman. If i can't i'll Blood 1 (or more, if required) to move within arrow range, then attack.

Ps. Do we heal between scenarios

Kensen
2010-03-31, 04:46 PM
Your speed is 6 and bow range is 8 (assuming arrows with no fletching) so yes you can move closer and shoot. You don't even need to use burst of speed.

You begin each playtest scenario fully healed, so don't worry about losing health. =)

Try editing the grid? I.e. deleting your character's symbol (the letter) on the grid and adding it to the square you want to move to. It should be editable, at least Cieyrin managed to edit it and add a token.

Jokes
2010-03-31, 08:02 PM
[Yay! Perhaps you should PM the others in case they forgot about the Playtest? I only just remembered it *subscribes*]

Ton's Initiative: [roll0]

Hoo, only just beat it.

Ton moves Q2->Q8

[Also, love the map :smallwink:]

Kensen
2010-04-01, 02:05 AM
Yes, good idea. I PM'd Kuma Da. And thanks Jokes, both for liking the map and for the idea of using that site. It only took about 10 mins to make the map and it looks pretty good for a simple spreadsheet map, I think. Not to mention that using graphical tokens is quite easy.

Tip: If you save the token in the PNG format, you can make the background transparent, i.e. there won't be a white square around it. But using a square token or text symbol is just fine as well. :smallsmile:

Anyway, I may be acting out of init order here, but to show how attacking works, I'll take the evil goblins' turn now.

The knife fighters (speed 6), goblin grunts and spearmen (speed 5) move closer to you. The spearmen now have Ton within their melee range and can attack. Since Ton's axe only has melee reach 1, the evil goblins' movement wasn't impeded as they didn't come that close yet.

Spearman attacks Ton:
[roll0]
Damage, if a hit:
[roll1]

Since Ton's melee defense is +15% (shield 10% + axe 5%), the spearman has to roll 65 or more to hit.

The second spearman attacks Ton:
[roll2]
Damage, if a hit:
[roll3]

Now it's your turn again, act in free order! (I'll be back on Monday, but feel free to move and attack meanwhile.)

Lord Loss
2010-04-01, 05:23 AM
Kensen, this is my attack:

( I already moved)

[roll0] My criticals get +5%

Damage: [roll1]

To make everyone's life easier , reposting character

Figgle
(Tall, but very weak. A curious smile on his face, as if he was questioning the nature of the universe. Or whether or not to eat an apple he found on the ground. Or whether or not to eat you. Heck, not even I know what he's wondering...)

Speed: 6
Health: 20

Defense: +5%
Armor: 0

Weapon: Composite Bow (1-8/ +15% / 1d8 (+ 5% critical)) Flint Knife (0-1/+0%/1d4)
Equipment: 10 arrows, flint knife, backpack, waterskin, quiver, meat

Perks: Speed, Woodworking, Quick reflexes, Proficiency (bow), Burst of Speed, Expertise (bow), Mastery (Bow) .

Figgle wasn't very strong. He wasn't very smart. He wasn't very funny. So when people started chasing him, he learnt to run fast.

Jokes
2010-04-01, 07:21 AM
[I just noticed I moved 6 squares before, that's something I have to keep reminding myself. :smalltongue:]

Ton draws himself up and charges at his foes!

Move Q8->Q9
[roll0]
[roll1]

curtis
2010-04-01, 09:49 AM
Stask has moved to R7.

Kuma Da
2010-04-01, 11:55 AM
Preya the Weakest

init: [roll0]

Move to 04 and fire an arrow at K1

attack: [roll1]

damage: [roll2]

Cieyrin
2010-04-01, 03:13 PM
Cerag charges from P5 to P8, activating Momentum, and stabs at Spear Goblin 1, spending 1 Blood as he does so to activate Brutal Attack.

FOR GOBBERHEIM!

Attack: [roll0]

...well, so much for an early knockout...
Cerag's Health: 19/20

Kensen
2010-04-05, 11:11 AM
Figgle's bow attack hits. The spear fighter wails in pain but continues fighting.

Knife fighter 1 throws a bone knife at Cerag:

[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Spearman 1 attacks Cerag:

[roll2]

Damage
[roll3]

Grunt 1 attacks Ton:

[roll4]

Damage
[roll5]

Grunt 2 attacks Ton:

[roll6]

Damage
[roll7]

Spearman 2 attacks Ton:

[roll8]

Damage
[roll9]

Knife fighter 2 throws a bone knife at Stask:

[roll10]

Damage
[roll11]

Cieyrin
2010-04-05, 02:53 PM
Cerag growls at the goblin that almost stabbed him and attempts to return the favor in kind, with interest! Blood 1 to activate Brutal Attack.

EDIT: Hoo! That's a crit if I ever saw it! >=3 26 damages! Gobbo bits everywhere!

EDIT2: Didn't notice the Knife Thrower actually damaging me till now; Damage now accounted for, he'll join his companion in the grave quite soon, methinks.:smallwink: Stupid me, I have armor that wasn't penetrated. Reverting damage...

curtis
2010-04-06, 08:06 AM
Stask, Goblin Spearman

Attack stats
Speed: 5 squares
Range: 1-2
Accuracy: -10%/0%/15%/25% (10% Expertise, 5% Mastery, 10% Battle Focus, -25% at range 1)
Damage: 1d8+4 (+2 Bronze tip, +2 Two-handed), 15% Critical Rate (10% Default, 5% Mastery), 1 Armour Piercing

Defense stats
Defense: 15% (5% Dodge, 10% Spear)
Armor: 1

Equipment: Bronze-tipped spear, Soft leather armour, Pouch, 3 Beads

Encumberance: 9

Perks: Proficiency (Spear), Expertise (Spear), Mastery (Spear), Dodge, Battle Focus (Blood 1: +10% accuracy), Barrage (No move, Attack: If you hit an opponent by a 25% margin, roll damage twice. If you hit an opponent by a 50% margin, roll damage three times. Each damage roll counts as a separate attack)

Stask uses his Battle Focus and Barrage against Grunty 2...

Umm... so I roll 1d100, add 25 for accuracy and subtract 10 for his shield? If so:

To hit: [roll0]
Barrage 1: [roll2]
Barrage 2: [roll3]

Damn.

Kensen
2010-04-06, 08:51 AM
You can actually just add your accuracy bonus to the roll and let me check if it hits. It used to be different, but I changed it just before the playtest began because it's more user-friendly for the players this way.

The goblin grunt has a melee defense bonus of +15% (+10% for the shield and +5% for the club), so the target value for hitting is 65. With an accuracy bonus of +25%, you need a "natural" 40 to hit that particular goblin. In other words, you have a 39% chance of missing, 25% chance of hitting once, 25% chance of hitting twice, and 11% chance of hitting three times. You also have a 11% crit chance, which means that if you had scored a triple hit, it would also have been a critical hit.

It's not mentioned in the rules (yet), but only the first hit counts as a critical hit if you use attacks like Barrage or Sweeping attack.

Anyway, unfortunately your attack missed.

Lord Loss
2010-04-06, 10:24 AM
Figgle moves to O3 and Fires at K1.

Attack

Damage: [ROLL]1d8

Lord Loss
2010-04-06, 10:25 AM
Damage: [roll0]

Sorry to double post, I messed up Dmg roll

Kuma Da
2010-04-06, 11:32 AM
Preya

Fire again at K1: [roll0]

Kensen
2010-04-06, 04:00 PM
Damage roll for Preya:

[roll0]

Jokes
2010-04-06, 08:13 PM
Ton barrages a goblin with his axe.

[Barrage on G1.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Kensen
2010-04-07, 01:14 AM
With a twirl of the Crimson Needle, Cerag manages to throw the spear of his opponent aside, giving him an opening to attack. With a two-handed thrust, Cerag pierces the throat of the Kaljukite, severing the windpipe and several arteries. The goblin is dead!

Preya wounds the knife fighter a second time with his arrows, and this time the arrow hits the gobbo in the stomach. He doubles over, holding his stomach and wailing until he slips out of consciousness.

Spearman2 attacks Cerag.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Knifeman2 moves into Stask's square and attempt to stab him in the chest with a flint knife!

[roll2]
[roll3] Armor piercing: 1

The grunts continue beating Ton with their clubs!

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

EDIT: Your turn!

Lord Loss
2010-04-07, 05:31 AM
Figgle runs to T10, then lifts his bow in the air, aiming at the First of the Goblin Knife Fighters. With innate precision, he aims his bow and lets loose a single, devastating arrow:

Attack Roll [roll0]
Damage Roll [roll1]

Kuma Da
2010-04-07, 11:58 AM
Preya

Fire an arrow at G2.

[roll0]

curtis
2010-04-07, 12:06 PM
Stask tumbles backwards out of the reach of the knifer, then lunges forward again with his spear.

To hit: [roll0]

Kensen
2010-04-07, 01:05 PM
The grunt blocks Preya's arrow with his shield.

Stask stabs the knife fighter with the spear. The goblin howls in pain and falls unconscious to the ground.

Cieyrin
2010-04-07, 03:16 PM
Cerag growls at the spear piercing through his heavy armor and Bleeds 1 to Brutally Attack his attacker.

Man, knocking out goblins like it was no thing...

Kensen
2010-04-08, 03:44 AM
Realizing that the fight is going really badly for them, the remaining Kaljukites retreat. Preya is able to track them, and you find a secret temple to Kaljuk deep in the forest north of Gobberheim.

XP and money allowance for the next scenario: 50 xp, 100 beads. Please post the character you are going to use in this thread.

You may use the same character and just buy new perks with the XP, or create a new character if you want to try something else.

The stealth and terrain rules will be used in the second playtest scenario. More about that later.

curtis
2010-04-08, 10:20 AM
Stask, Goblin Spearman

Attack stats
Speed: 4/5 squares (-1 for 16+ encumberence)
Range: 1-2/3-8
Accuracy: 15%/25% (10% Expertise, 5% Mastery, 10% Battle Focus)
Damage: 1d8+3/4 (+1 Flint tip/+2 Bronze tip, +2 Two-handed), 10% Critical Rate (5% Default, 5% Mastery), 1 Armour Piercing

Defense stats
Defense: 10/15% (5% Dodge, 10% Spear, -5% for 11+ encumberence)
Armor: 1

Equipment: Bronze-tipped spear, Flint spear, Battle harness, Soft leather armour, Pouch, 3 Beads

Encumberance: 17

Perks: Proficiency (Spear), Expertise (Spear), Mastery (Spear), Throwing (Spear), Close Quarters, Dodge, Battle Focus (Blood 1: +10% accuracy), Barrage (No move, Attack: If you hit an opponent by a 25% margin, roll damage twice. If you hit an opponent by a 50% margin, roll damage three times. Each damage roll counts as a separate attack)

QUESTIONS:
1) Does the two-handed bonus apply to throwing?
2) Can thrown weapons and arrows be recovered after battles?
3) How will selling items work in-game?

Kensen
2010-04-08, 11:28 AM
1) Knives and spears can only be thrown one-handed, while axes and hammers can also be thrown two-handed. Since you cannot dual wield spears, you also cannot throw two spears at the same time. It appears that I forgot to mention that in the weapons section. :smalleek: But I'll add that bit of info when I update it the next time.

2) Thrown weapons and arrows can be recovered after battles or even during combat. They are assumed to land in the square they were thrown/shot at. I may add an arrow breakage chance (maybe different shaft materials should have different % for breaking?).

3) I haven't figured out yet how it should be done. Probably I'll use some simple method like that in D&D, i.e. you get 50% (or less) for items you sell. Or maybe common and cheap items can be sold at 75% of the listed cost, while rare and expensive items fetch relatively lower prices because they're more difficult for the merchant to sell. However, in the playtest you don't have to worry about that. You only need to check that the value of your equipment doesn't exceed 100 beads (or whatever it may be in other scenarios).

Kuma Da
2010-04-08, 11:35 AM
Name: Preya the Weakest
Appearance: short and slim, even for a goblin, with streaks of ochre paint across his cheeks.

Health: 25

Defense: -5%

Carrying capacity: 17/15

Weapon (range/accuracy/damage): knife 0-1/+0%/1d4, composite bow 1-8/+0%/1d8,

Equipment: flint knife 1, composite bow 4, 10 arrows 5, waterskin 2, backpack 2, quiver 1, 1 meat 2

Perks: Endurance (+5 carrying capacity,) treat wound (double heal speed for self or ally,) toughness (+5 health,) speed (speed +1,) tracker (find tracks,) stealth (move unnoticed,) wood working, bone working, leather working, proficiency: bow,

(+10 xp, 100 beads))

Kensen
2010-04-08, 11:45 AM
Kuma Da: By the way, it's not +50 XP, you get a total of 50 XP for the second scenario. Same thing with the beads. :smallsmile:

Cieyrin
2010-04-08, 03:30 PM
I think I'll make a new gobby for this next one, as I think Cerag has proved the power of stacking damage bonii.

Also, ooo, new equipment now available in the master list! =3

Oh, is creation times disregarded once again for this next scenario? I figure it is but it doesn't hurt to confirm.

One final thing, what exactly do quick slots mean? I assume that's the number of weapons you can easily carry and get out without having to dig in your backpack or something...

Kensen
2010-04-08, 05:11 PM
Yeah crafting times are disregarded this time too. Although there's a plot that loosely connects the scenarios, they're considered separate and everything is "rebooted" between the scenarios.

Retrieving an item from a container (like a backpack) takes at least one round, so it's not very practical in combat. The quick slots make it possible to change weapons quickly without having to drop what you're holding. So if your gobbo sometimes uses a bow and sometimes a spear, you can change the weapon you're wielding without spending an action.

If you have both the battle harness and belt, you have seven quick slots: one for a shield, four for any weapons including spears and bows, and two for small weapons. Of course carrying six weapons and a shield probably makes you encumbered.

If you don't have quick slots, you'll have to carry your weapon(s) in your hand(s) if you want to use them in combat.

Lord Loss
2010-04-08, 05:19 PM
Figgle
(Tall, but very weak. A curious smile on his face, as if he was questioning the nature of the universe. Or whether or not to eat an apple he found on the ground. Or whether or not to eat you. Heck, not even I know what he's wondering...)

Defense: +5%

Weapon: Composite Bow (1-8/ +15% / 1d8 (+ 5% critical)) Flint Knife (0-1/+0%/1d4)
Equipment: 10 arrows, flint knife, backpack, waterskin, quiver, meat (20 GP)

Perks: Speed, Woodworking, Quick reflexes, Proficiency (bow), Burst of Speed, Expertise (bow), Mastery (Bow), Parting Shot .

Figgle wasn't very strong. He wasn't very smart. He wasn't very funny. So when people started chasing him, he learnt to run fast.

Cieyrin
2010-04-08, 05:20 PM
Alright, sounds good. In any case, I finished my new gobbo. I present:

Grindbone Flathead, Journeyman Armorer
Description: Grindbone has always been a large goblin, so large some hint that the Flathead clan has a touch of Orcish blood in their veins. Grindbone took to the art of leatherworking to keep himself in clothes that fit and experimenting in making armor to better equip himself and those of Gobberheim to face the threats they face. In battle, not much is seen of him other than the massive shield he proudly named Rattor's Bulwark, in honor of the God of War that blessed him with his strength and skill at arms.

Attack stats
Speed: 5 squares
Range: 1-2 (spear)
Accuracy: -15%/+10% (10% Expertise, -25% at range 1)
Damage: 1d8+2 (+2 Bronze) (armor piercing +1)

Defence stats
Defence: melee +35%, ranged +35%
Armor: 2

Equipment: Scale Leather (25/5[2.5]), Rattor's Bulwark (Tower Shield) (20/12), Bronze Spear [Haft (1/5), Bronze Tip (50/2), Binding (1/-) = 52/7], Pouch (3/-).

Encumbrance: 2.5+12+7=19.5 (-5% defence[Endurance])

Perks: Dodge (+5% Defense)(B/4), Endurance (+5 Carrying Capacity)(B/4), Leatherworking (Make armor, clothes, straps and other leather items)(B/4), Shield Proficiency (B/4), Spear Proficiency (B/4), Armor Making (Make Scale and Laminar armor)(A/6), Armor Training (Halve encumberance from wearing armor)(A/6), Deflect (Apply melee defense bonus against ranged attacks)(A/6), Spear and Shield (You can use a spear one-handed in melee, but you cannot dual wield spears. You can, however, carry a shield in the other hand.)(A/6), Spear Expertise (+10% Accuracy)(A/6).