PDA

View Full Version : Green slime

Rainbownaga
2010-03-31, 05:06 AM
Reading the description of green slime in the dmg- does anybody use it?

It seems like a cool thing to add, but i was thinking of switching the con damage to hp damage so it can affect undead too and not risk a tpk or a trip home for a party without restoration.

Additionally, thinking of adapting it to make 'sliming' weapons or metamagic, but I'll save that for the homebrew forums once i've got the basics sorted.

Finally- does it do damage immediately? The book seems unclear.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-31, 06:27 AM
Yes, immediately con damage to living no save.

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-31, 06:44 AM

It seems like a cool thing to add, but i was thinking of switching the con damage to hp damage so it can affect undead too and not risk a tpk or a trip home for a party without restoration.

Additionally, thinking of adapting it to make 'sliming' weapons or metamagic, but I'll save that for the homebrew forums once i've got the basics sorted.

Finally- does it do damage immediately? The book seems unclear.

(I'm assuming 3e) Slimes, Molds, and Fungi are part of classic D&D. Personally, I like it with the Con damage specifically because undead can just waltz through it, though given the description it seems that it might reduce zombies to skeletons.

There's an issue of Dragon iirc that deals with green slime and extends its usage quite a bit. From some magazine or supplement I recall green slime-tainted ale causing an epidemic in a village as it didn't become active until ingested, converting hapless commoners to slimes as it devoured them from within.

My personal favorite is brown mold. Against a party dependent on torches, a hidden room full of the stuff can be absolutely hilarious as it doubles in size each round from the heat.

obnoxious
sig

Rainbownaga
2010-03-31, 10:52 AM
(I'm assuming 3e)

There's an issue of Dragon iirc that deals with green slime and extends its usage quite a bit. From some magazine or supplement I recall green slime-tainted ale causing an epidemic in a village as it didn't become active until ingested, converting hapless commoners to slimes as it devoured them from within.

sig

Wow, that's just scary. Especially since it would mean having to literally swallow fire to kill it :smalleek:

Of course it would have been scarier still in the day when slime was actually an 'ooze' and would drop on people from the ceilings. I was a little dissapointed that it became an environment in this issue; as it stands it just sits their and deals a potentially obscene amount of damage either from direct con damage or through the dm refusing to allow the sorcerer/mage to treat their burning hands or fireball as caster level 1.

Complaints (having not played it)

-Dealing con damage without any form of save makes it scale too well and be too dangerous.

-It has no specific way of 'attacking' the player; it says that it "drops," but auto hits for con damage is a very 'dm=jerk' thing to do, particularly for players that aren't expecting it.

-There is no specific damage needed to cut or burn it off; Or kill it while it's just sitting there

-Being to scrape it off in one round makes this kind of moot since d6/round con damage will quickly kill any character regardless of level.

-It "drops", but how does it get back up? If it moves and attacks, I don't see why this shouldn't be a fully fledged creature like the oozes.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-31, 11:06 AM
It is one of the reason Thrall of Jubilex in BoVD is so powerful: at will summon green slime at lv 3.

Asbestos
2010-03-31, 01:16 PM
I thought that the slimes and molds were always a sort of immobile environmental danger rather than mobile oozes.

Anyway, its one of those 'I exist to F*** over players' things. Like Ear Worms or Rot Grubs or Rust Monsters.

I was playing a game where my character, who was 100% devoted to being highly mobile, easily circumvented a resetting, poisoned spike trap (placed on every step of a tower staircase :smallmad:) only to out of nowhere be in direct contact with green slime that was coating the walls/ceiling ahead (:smallfurious:) and the only option for not being in contact with the slime was to stand on the steps below me (needing to make reflex or reflex and fortitude saves every round) while my party got repeatedly stabbed/poisoned on the way up.

Once we got through the door at the top of the stairs I was immediately and instantly smacked with a Vampire's Dominate ability.

Not. Fun.

jiriku
2010-03-31, 01:37 PM

All I can hear is Samuel L. Jackson holding a gun to the DM's head and shouting "GREEN SLIME! DO. YOU. USE IT?"

Alavar
2010-03-31, 02:03 PM

Not just use it, but live by it!

There is a spell in the SpC that I can't remember the name of, a level 7 druid spell, that creates a wave of green slime radiating outwards from the caster. After your enemies scrape it off, just use some spell to move the leftovers back onto them.

Optimator
2010-03-31, 02:34 PM
Green Slime is the ****. I use it all the time. It's slime!

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-31, 02:58 PM
-Dealing con damage without any form of save makes it scale too well and be too dangerous.

But that's the name of the game! Adventuring is friggin' dangerous! There's a reason Joe the Commoner doesn't pick up a club and join a party.

Edit: I think that the slime-tainted ale might've been 2e. I can't seem to find any 3e reference to it, but I'll keep glancing around.

obnoxious
sig

Warclam
2010-03-31, 04:55 PM
My DM had us up against some green slime a few weeks ago (my first time encountering it). We managed to avoid touching it through liberal application of paranoia, but we freaked when it dropped, thinking it was going to rise up and chase after us. After staring at it warily for 30 seconds or so, we just got the dragonborn to torch it.

More exciting was some kind of exploding yellow mold, possible called "yellow mold". Here's a hint for a long and healthy adventuring career: don't throw chalk at exploding mold. Especially when an ill-tempered chaotic evil barbarian/swordsage/fighter/whatever is standing next to it. He didn't appreciate my experiment.

Rainbownaga
2010-03-31, 04:58 PM
I thought that the slimes and molds were always a sort of immobile environmental danger rather than mobile oozes.

Technically not; I've missed a few editions (basically all of ad&d) but according to my basic dmg guide they have a phenomenal 1' combat move speed- they were basically a variety of piercer, hiding on ceilings and walls and dropping off on people that walked underneath.

Curiously, the basic version is less screw-you than the 3.5 version: apparently requires an attack roll, 'can always be hit' and you have 6 rounds + d4 before it actually does anything (whereas d6/round damage is pretty much 4 rounds until death if you're lucky). Of course, removing the slime was much harder then (you'd probably kill the person trying to burn it off or just run out of time).