PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here have any knowledge of Ancient Greek?

Anuan
2010-03-31, 08:28 AM
I need to know the plural of Pterippus. At first I thought Pterippi, but then I realised that I've got absolutely no basis for that. So...yeah.
Halp?

Kneenibble
2010-03-31, 08:44 AM
That'd be Pterippoi, honeybuns.
Rhymes with boytoy.

You don't often see the real Greek plurals though. I mean strictly speaking the singular Πτεριππος should be transcribed Pterippos, not -us, but if you have the Latinized -us ending then -i as a plural is acceptable. cf. Colossus, from the Greek Κολοσσος: most people would say Colossi, when technically it's Colossoi.

Anuan
2010-03-31, 08:49 AM
:smallbiggrin: Thanks, Kneenibble.
<gives bird-treat. Also, a hug.>
I will take these facts into consideration.

Hazyshade
2010-03-31, 05:49 PM
most people would say Colossi, when technically it's Colossoi.

How could you tell which one they were saying? Were they pronounced differently from each other in Ancient Greek?

Crimmy
2010-03-31, 05:53 PM
most people would say Colossi, when technically it's Colossoi.

:smallbiggrin:

absolmorph
2010-03-31, 06:01 PM
That'd be Pterippoi, honeybuns.
Rhymes with boytoy.

You don't often see the real Greek plurals though. I mean strictly speaking the singular Πτεριππος should be transcribed Pterippos, not -us, but if you have the Latinized -us ending then -i as a plural is acceptable. cf. Colossus, from the Greek Κολοσσος: most people would say Colossi, when technically it's Colossoi.
Hm... I think I will keep this in mind.
I like Greek mythology, and language, but don't know much about it.
Intriguing...

Kneenibble
2010-03-31, 08:50 PM
How could you tell which one they were saying? Were they pronounced differently from each other in Ancient Greek?

The Latin -i plural ending is pronounced popularly to rhyme with the word eye (like if you think of the way people say the word cacti); it is pronounced correctly to rhyme with the word knee.

The Greek -oi plural ending is pronounced to rhyme with toy.

"Correct" is relative and is dictated by usage, of course, but I am speaking pedantically.

Hazyshade
2010-04-01, 03:34 AM
The Greek -oi plural ending is pronounced to rhyme with toy.

"Correct" is relative and is dictated by usage, of course, but I am speaking pedantically.

Pedantry is essential in linguistic debates :smallsmile:

A speaker of Modern Greek would pronounce it -ee. I wonder if it was because they got tired of people telling them they were using the wrong plural form, and decided to make them all sound the same so no-one would notice...

Strawberries
2010-04-01, 10:01 AM
The Latin -i plural ending is pronounced popularly to rhyme with the word eye

Not where I'm from it isn't :smalltongue:.

Technically colossus is also a latin word, so colossi would be acceptable.

Kneenibble
2010-04-02, 08:33 PM
Technically colossus is also a latin word, so colossi would be acceptable.

No, sweetie, technically colossus is a direct loanword from Greek with very few uses in extant Latin literature.

But that's my exact point, if you read my first post in this thread: of course colossi is acceptable. I've been saying how Greek words get Latinized when they're brought into English, whether or not they have a previous Latin precedent for transcription.

Shades of Gray
2010-04-03, 10:55 AM
Octopi should be Octopodes! Octopodes!

Silly English.

Syka
2010-04-03, 10:59 AM
This thread warms my heart as a Classicist. :smallsmile:

Anuan
2010-04-03, 11:02 AM
According to wiki, it's octopuses, and octopi is a common but incorrect assumption...

Kneenibble
2010-04-03, 12:58 PM
If octopus were transcribed properly as octopous, since the singular of foot is πούς in Greek, then I would be all for using the correct Greek plural, octopoussoire.

Since it is octopus, however, then we must resort to the English plural of octopussies.

We can always mock cruelly the fools who tote their fraudulent octo-pie, of course.

Claudius Maximus
2010-04-04, 01:09 PM
If octopus were transcribed properly as octopous, since the singular of foot is πούς in Greek, then I would be all for using the correct Greek plural, octopoussoire.

I have never seen a word end like that, at least in Ancient Greek. As far as I know, πούς declines into ποδός and eventually into πόδες, which would be the plural nominative form. Therefore the plural of octopous would be octopodes.

Eldan
2010-04-04, 01:22 PM
You have been confounded by the rare and elusive linguistic technique known as "joke", mate.

"Octopuses" seems to be the accepted english form, with no precedent in either latin or greek, of course.