PDA

View Full Version : The Horror from the deep

pendell
2010-03-31, 08:55 AM
Brought to you by Sub-sea Survey Company (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/03/30/terrifying-sea-critter-from-oceans-depths/?test=faces)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

waterpenguin43
2010-03-31, 08:57 AM
Brought to you by Sub-sea Survey Company (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/03/30/terrifying-sea-critter-from-oceans-depths/?test=faces)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Aaw, that little tyke's so cute. Why would one call it horrifying?
Oh, right. They're not in love with Sea Creatures. (I'm a marine-furry.)

Elentari
2010-03-31, 10:45 AM
*shudders* I've never liked crabs. This was much worse....now i'm going to be haunted in my dreams.

PJ the Epic
2010-03-31, 10:50 AM
*checks back*

*feww*

I can imagine that thing jumping on someones back and ripping out their neck.

*looks again*

Ugh.

Worira
2010-03-31, 10:53 AM
Yeah, that's a giant isopod. What kind of sub-sea survey company can't identify a giant isopod?

Ilena
2010-03-31, 11:00 AM
ugh now i have images of that thing crawling onto land with a bunch of buddies and chasing me :S *shudder* ive litterally shudderd 5 times with feelings of it crawling up my leg like spiders give me :S eck. Other then that its pretty cool :P

valadil
2010-03-31, 11:24 AM
Meh. They got nothing on coconut crabs (http://images.google.com/images?client=opera&rls=en&q=coconut%20crab&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi).

Ilena
2010-03-31, 11:57 AM
Those are kinda cute actually ... :P

UnChosenOne
2010-03-31, 12:11 PM
Well, that's the cutest thing that I've seen today.

Myshlaevsky
2010-03-31, 12:17 PM
Have another:
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab273/Kologotov/GiantIsopod.jpg

Yeah, that's a giant isopod. What kind of sub-sea survey company can't identify a giant isopod?

It must have been a slow news day, I guess. These things are nothing particularly special or new, you're right. Just one of the many wonderfully creepy and crawly things living deep down in the sea.

Elentari
2010-03-31, 12:18 PM
Cute? How are those scaly things cute? I understand turtles being cute but crabs and isopod things?

Mordokai
2010-03-31, 12:19 PM
Awwwwww, c'mon! Look at it!

It just wants to hug you! :smallbiggrin:

Closak
2010-03-31, 12:20 PM
Aww man, no Nimmys :smallfrown:

Then again, that's probably a good thing...
You see, i don't like the thought of being eaten.

Ilena
2010-03-31, 12:28 PM
Awww but crabby crab wants a hug, see the crab ok, but the first thing is like omg its on you and wont let you go and will suck your brain and control your body and plot to take over the world!

Elentari
2010-03-31, 12:45 PM

Auuugghhhhh!!!! *backs slowly away* No hugs! Do you want those crabs to suck your brain out? *runs away*

Mordokai
2010-03-31, 12:48 PM
*pops the skull open*

Hard to suck something out if there's nothing there in the first place :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-03-31, 01:02 PM
that thing doesn't look scary.

It looks tasty.:smallamused:

Eldan
2010-03-31, 01:13 PM
It ain't even a crab.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-31, 01:22 PM
It ain't even a crab.

Eldan has a good point.

Myshlaevsky
2010-03-31, 01:31 PM

They eat them in places in Taiwan. It's supposed to be similar to crab.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-31, 01:39 PM
They eat them in places in Taiwan. It's supposed to be similar to crab.

Ooh. I love crab. and Lobster. and crabcakes.

Elentari
2010-03-31, 02:29 PM
It ain't even a crab.

I was talking about the brain-sucking crabs that Crixon brought up. Besides, are you sure you want to take a chance of having your brain sucked out on the possibly marginal fact that those isopods aren't crabs? :smalltongue:

Ilena
2010-03-31, 02:45 PM
I was talking about the brain-sucking crabs that Crixon brought up. Besides, are you sure you want to take a chance of having your brain sucked out on the possibly marginal fact that those isopods aren't crabs? :smalltongue:

Ya ... they will suck your brains out ... latch onto your head and control you, killed everyone, my friends, family, everyone in the town ... they are coming for me , get out while you still can!

:D

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-31, 03:00 PM

And squeeze you and rip you open and injest your inerds! :smallbiggrin:

FinalJustice
2010-03-31, 03:02 PM
I fully endorse the 'looks tasty' statement.

Plus, it looks like a cool pet. Crawl to a little ball when scared, claw the hell out of bad people threatening its human friend. And you could teach it all sort of Sonic/Samus morph-ball shenanigans.

This post reminds me of a Simpsons episode when Homer pets a Lobster.

About the face-hugging monstrosity, my position is: "Oh god the horror get it off my face get it of now!"

Rutskarn
2010-03-31, 03:03 PM
Y'all know what suck the haids means? Because I came down here with Keith, and he didn't know either, and...I mean, it ain't nothin' bad. It's about eating.

Also, that thing's not even remotely Cthulhuesque. There's a menagerie or aquatic horrors beyond the Lovecraft mythos, you know. That thing looks more like a Cloverfield, or perhaps an FPS creature.

pendell
2010-03-31, 03:52 PM
Y'all know what suck the haids means? Because I came down here with Keith, and he didn't know either, and...I mean, it ain't nothin' bad. It's about eating.

Also, that thing's not even remotely Cthulhuesque. There's a menagerie or aquatic horrors beyond the Lovecraft mythos, you know. That thing looks more like a Cloverfield, or perhaps an FPS creature.

Sure it is. Lovecraft was less about a specific taxonomy of creatures than he was about lines like this:

'"Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep, and decay spreads over the tottering cities of men." -- H.P. Lovecraft, in "The Madness from the Sea".

Lovecraft talked a lot about 'things that cannot be described' or 'cannot be named'. That's a trademark of his horror. Our little isopod friend certainly fits.

If it isn't in his fiction, it's because no one left one in his bed as a joke :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

KuReshtin
2010-03-31, 04:13 PM
Y'all know what suck the haids means?

Isn't that a crawfish term?

Winter_Wolf
2010-03-31, 04:13 PM
My flesh tried to crawl away and hide under the bed. *shudders* Burn it, burn it with fire, then acid, then fire again, then encase it in concrete and burn that. Wagh, yeurgh, frippin' lblgthath. *twitch*

Elentari
2010-03-31, 04:15 PM
My flesh tried to crawl away and hide under the bed. *shudders* Burn it, burn it with fire, then acid, then fire again, then encase it in concrete and burn that. Wagh, yeurgh, frippin' lblgthath. *twitch*

^This.
And also hit it with a nuke for good measure. You can't trust those brain slurpers.

pendell
2010-03-31, 04:21 PM
Actually, guys, according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopod) it's not the brain you should be worried about...

Cymothoa exigua, for example, is a parasite of the spotted rose snapper fish Lutjanus guttatus in the Gulf of California; it eats the tongue of the fish, and takes its place, in the only known instance of a parasite functionally replacing a host structure.

Eats the tongue?

And takes it's place?

:Carefully looks in a mirror and opens his mouth:

Fearfully,

Brian P.

Shadow of the Sun
2010-03-31, 04:43 PM
...that's really not all that creepy. Don't think I'd call it cute, o'course, but not creepy.

This isn't that creepy, either, but it might make you lot less afraid of the first one.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo162/htsnyder2/article-1165930-03F7CCDE000005DC-68.jpg

"Barry, the four-feet-long polychaete worm with jaws tough enough to eat coral and the strength to break a 20-pound fishing line. When they tried to catch it with hooked bait? She swallowed the hooks. Not to mention she's so poisonous, just touching her renders you numb for life. "

Eldan
2010-03-31, 05:09 PM
That's so cool! Where can I get one?

FinalJustice
2010-03-31, 05:44 PM
There's a store in 6th avenue, Block 6, 6th district, right between the IHOS(International House of Salad) and the VOICS(Vanilla Only Ice Cream Shop), in hell. It's also right in front of a Starbucks, you can't go wrong.

Elentari
2010-03-31, 05:50 PM
*shudders* Thanks a lot Pendell and Shadow. Thats all I needed to have a good nights sleep. Not.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-31, 06:30 PM
Actually, guys, according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopod) it's not the brain you should be worried about...

Eats the tongue?

And takes it's place?

:Carefully looks in a mirror and opens his mouth:

Fearfully,

Brian P.

luckily (I believe) it only targets Fish and the fish are too stupid to notice apparently.

Starscream
2010-03-31, 06:36 PM
So...the consensus is that I shouldn't have started heating up butter?

Well, that's just great. You realize that this means we'll be having Hydra-burgers at the annual Playground picnic again, right?

Elentari
2010-03-31, 06:58 PM
By all means heat up the butter if it means I don't have to see those things again. *runs away from scary creepy crawly things*

Eldan
2010-03-31, 07:01 PM
There's a store in 6th avenue, Block 6, 6th district, right between the IHOS(International House of Salad) and the VOICS(Vanilla Only Ice Cream Shop), in hell. It's also right in front of a Starbucks, you can't go wrong.

Oooh. I love both salads and vanilla ice cream. I really need to go to hell more often.

Which reminds me: the town of ****ing in austria is brewing a new brand of beer. What is it called? ****ing Hell. The german word "hell" of course means "pale" or "bright".

Blue Ghost
2010-03-31, 07:07 PM
Aww, how cute. :smallsmile:
The ocean is sure full of mystery, eh? That's what I love about it.

Rutskarn
2010-03-31, 07:23 PM
Isn't that a crawfish term?

Yes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5eLGSsB-qE) I wouldn't want to try that with this one, mind.

Raiki
2010-03-31, 07:26 PM

I wholeheartedly support this. There is nothing tastier than sea-bug.

Though I must confess, that crab kinda gives me the willies. It's just the thought of something I eat being big enough to eat me back...

~R~

Xallace
2010-03-31, 07:32 PM

There was this guy I knew, he raced dirt tracks; not stock cars, but open-wheel cars, y'know? And he was racin' once, and a goat-
"Ellis, sweetie, can this wait?"
OK, but there was a goat.

Anyway, I'm not seeing the lovecraftianishness. I mean, I'm not recoiling in horror and beginning to scream terrible chanting curses upon seeing it's awful, segmented visage. It's dread physic does creep upon my mind like a horrible dream, nor do its maddening, alien geometries impose awful truths of the cosmos upon my frail wit, dragging me deeper down into a tatarian pit filled with the whispers of pasts so foul and deranged and totally alien that our understanding of history must be re-written in its entirety.

It's actually kinda cute. Wouldn't wanna hug it, but I might take it for walkies.

PJ the Epic
2010-03-31, 07:41 PM
Still...

http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/blobfish0.jpg

I'm still not first sacrifice toappise him to destroy the creepy crawly things.

Thursday
2010-04-01, 04:34 PM
Thats totally awesome.. heh.
Even if the picture makes it look even bigger than it really is.. (quite a bit.)

Its sweet. Is it wrong that I want one..? Got a spare tank going.

*Well, If only things were different*

Blue Ghost
2010-04-01, 06:31 PM
Ooh, ugly fish! The ocean is a mysterious place indeed...

Mystic Muse
2010-04-01, 06:40 PM
Ooh, ugly fish! The ocean is a mysterious place indeed...

I don't think it's a fish.

I think it's a giant salbug/ Pill bug.

unless you mean the second picture.

Keld Denar
2010-04-01, 07:00 PM
http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/blobfish0.jpg

Anyone else look at this and see the loveable character Ziggy, from the cartoon bearing the same name?

http://brassblogs.com/wp-content/files/2009/11/Ziggy.jpg

Terry576
2010-04-01, 07:35 PM
I want one for a pet. Get me one noooooooow! :smallredface:

Lycan 01
2010-04-02, 12:01 AM
Yeah, put me on the list of people who want one as a pet. :smallbiggrin: