PDA

View Full Version : The Theurgist Villain - HELP PLEASE

Adrayll
2010-03-31, 11:11 AM
I've suddenly found myself running a D&D 3.5 campaign, and have never DM'd before. I've got a campaign starting to be mapped out, and wanted a recurring villain who will level ahead of the players and be a nemesis. I know what levels I want him to have, unfortunately I need suggestions on everything else. Any help anyone is will to give would be really great.

Necromancer 1 (4HP)
Necromancer 2 (8HP)
Necromancer 2/Cleric 1 (16HP)
Necromancer 3/Cleric 1 (20HP)
Necromancer 4/Cleric 1 (24HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 1 (28HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 2 (36HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 3 (44HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 1 (48HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 2 (52HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 3 (56HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 4 (60HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 5 (64HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 6 (68HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 7 (72HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 8 (76HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 9 (80HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 10 (84HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 10/ Hierophant 1 (92HP)
Necromancer 5/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 10/ Hierophant 2 (100HP)

That's the progression I want. His sorcery spells will focus on necromancy, but I have no idea for the Divine spells. I know he's gonna have a massive buttload of spells. Pretty much I need race, abilities, items (as he progresses) and that sort of thing.

DracoDei
2010-03-31, 11:30 AM
Mystic Theurge is generally considered underpowered. Thus you should give him a level or two more than if he was single classed (whatever level you were going to have him at in such a case) or use a "fix". There are several on the board, but the dirt simple one I might use would simply be to have the first (and maybe one more later) level advance casting for both classes by TWO levels. the later one can be an alternation (IE staggered between one side and the other, with the character picking which side to double advance first).

Adrayll
2010-03-31, 11:38 AM
So just make sure he's a few levels above the party? (I'm not quite sure what you mean by the second part) I want to keep the levels in Theurgist because that lets me jack his necromancy but keep his divine progression towards hierophant. Could you recommend some sort of general plan for what sort of items I need to give him, etc. I'm fairly new at this.

arguskos
2010-03-31, 11:48 AM
You know, the Homebrew forum, while awesome, isn't the best place for game builds or general advice like this. You'll want to transplant this to Gaming, where they can really give you great advice. :smallwink:

Adrayll
2010-03-31, 11:51 AM
My bad, I wasn't sure which one this fit in. Oops. Should I ask a mod, or what?

arguskos
2010-03-31, 11:53 AM
My bad, I wasn't sure which one this fit in. Oops. Should I ask a mod, or what?
You can PM Roland St. Jude and ask, or you can just copy paste your first post and make a new thread. Whatever works. :smallwink:

Note: I'm not tryin' to run you off or something, but I do want you to get the best possible advice. :smallsmile:

Adrayll
2010-03-31, 11:56 AM
Fair enough, thank you.

Telonius
2010-03-31, 12:02 PM
I think the best question to ask, is: what do you want the villain to be able to do? Is Theurge there just so you'll be able cast both arcane and divine spells (there are other ways to do this, ie Archivist), or is it just a convenient PrC for the fluff? We know he's going to be a Necromancer, but what sort of Necromancer? Does he love to send out undead legions, or is he focused on draining the life out of his enemies?

Adrayll
2010-03-31, 12:05 PM
Definitely want the undead legions. The plan is for him to be amassing an undead army. I honestly didn't know how to go about that, so I thought it would be able to be simulated by being able to summon undead, which would be controlled under his necromancy levels, and then more undead, controlled under his cleric levels, and then a few more on top under his rebuke. That was my plan, but if you can tell me a better way to do this, please do.

Itous
2010-03-31, 01:27 PM
i have a few ideas for you.

1) if you want a necromancer bad guy here is a good combo.....

1) use the dread necromancer class from Heroes of Horror and slap in cure and inflict spells.

preistege into True Necromancer.

intreasting feats to take from the libris mortis:

Corpse crafter
there are others but i don't have the book with me right now, anything thatincreases the strength, turn resistence of anything you animate.

another good feat is "Practiced Caster" from i belive it is Complete Arcane +4 to your caster level which means when ever you cast a spell you cast is as if you were 4 levels higher, very useful to have means more undead

also take the lich loved feat grants you i belive 50% chance of crits failing on you, combined with i think your previous 25% from dread necromancer pretty much right off the bat you canget 75% crit failure chance.

in regards to magic items, it maybe in your intrested to get something that constantly heals him maybe CLW per round necklace or something.

another good idea would be a mace of inflict moderate wounds(phb) with sadism (i think its sadism, its the spell that gives you +1 to hit for every 10 points of damage you deal found in BoVD) + false life (gives you up to 10tempary hit points which act as a hit point meat shield before they hit you) they have to beat through your tempoary hit points, but you deal high damage with an increasing +1 to hit bonus and also your tempoary hit points refresh each time they run out.

i play necromancers alot i know some good builds.

to kick things along a bit you could send a festering flesh bomb to them in the mail

heres how you do it.

kill a guy, get flesh and muscle
cast "preserve organ" as its not technically a complete body it should do it.
then cast with scrolls if you need to spells like

Necrotic Boil...Nectroic cyst etc
Next Cast: Contagian its in the phb i can't remember what its called exactly but it infects people on touch. pick a nasty disease Ghoul Touch is good asmost people don't know they've got it and when they drop to 0hp they become Ghouls Themselves.

then cast messegeh on the inside of the box and give it an activation use (need the craft wanderious item feat) and trigger it for when the box opens.

then mail it to the party. when they open it you get a messege saying the party have opened the box say the command word the fleshy infected boil ridden chunk splatters all over them infecting them. weapon of mass confusion :)

i'm not to sure if that will work exactly like that i'm a bit rusty with the spells BUT still theres a thought.

feel free to PM me if you need anymore.

Itous