PDA

View Full Version : Going to be starting a pathfinder game.

0datdude0
2010-03-31, 12:51 PM
Whats the best place to find build guides for pathfinder stuff? I've googled a bit but I wanted the opinions of people that have used them.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-31, 01:01 PM
We have a few, all by TreantMonk. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?board=22.100;sort=starter)

This is more or less all I've got. I don't use Pathfinder myself, but I know a few people here have done considerable work with it.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-31, 01:04 PM
Without a doubt the Paizo boards ... but you do have to be careful, the majority of the participants have some blind spots.

(People claim vital strike really helps with melee being overdependent on full attacks at high level or that Duelist is a good PrC ... that sort of thing.)

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-31, 01:07 PM
Without a doubt the Paizo boards ... but you do have to be careful, the majority of the participants have some blind spots.

(People claim vital strike really helps with melee being overdependent on full attacks at high level or that Duelist is a good PrC ... that sort of thing.)

You're being awefully generous with that.

Person_Man
2010-03-31, 01:30 PM
Depends on your DM. In theory, Pathfinder is backwards compatible with all 3.5 stuff. So 90% of the optimization work on non-core 3.5 material is applicable to a Pathfinder game. But core changes have nerfed some very popular and straitforward builds. Power Attack now sucks. Special Attacks (Trip, Grapple, etc) have been changed to Combat Maneuvers, and the Improved Trip/Grapple/etc feats have been messed with, making some standard melee builds less efficient. Some spells have been nerfed. It's mostly just a bunch of fiddly changes that render some old combos pointless while creating a bunch of new ones for no particular reason.

Rixx
2010-03-31, 02:45 PM
Power attack gives you bigger damage returns on your attack roll penalty now. If you're wielding a two-hander, you lose 1 to your attack roll to gain 3 to damage. That doesn't exactly suck!

0datdude0
2010-03-31, 05:38 PM
Man ive been wanting to do an arcane / divine caster prc class and I have a feeling I'm going to be flying blind.

Mongoose87
2010-03-31, 05:42 PM
Power attack gives you bigger damage returns on your attack roll penalty now. If you're wielding a two-hander, you lose 1 to your attack roll to gain 3 to damage. That doesn't exactly suck!

It sucks compared to the old Leap Attack + Shock Trooper combo.

EvilBloodGnome
2010-03-31, 05:46 PM
Ah. Mystic Theurge. Well, you're about as much a trick pony in Pathfinder as you were in 3.5. Your effectiveness boils down to arguing with your DM over that one feat that grants you a higher level spell and if that allows you into the PrC without loosing 9th level casting.

And the Power Attack thing can easily be fixed by asking your DM if you can use the old Power Attack. 9 outta 10 times they'll let ya

Paul H
2010-03-31, 07:44 PM
Hi

As for Mystic Theurge - it's got a few new tricks more than the old 3.5. Not sure how they play, but the class might be more powerful than my Living Greyhawk one (as was).

I play couple characters in the 'Living' Pathfinder (PFS), but only sorted out one PrC so far....

Sorceror/Paladin 4/Dragon Disciple xxxxx. (All that Smitiness with full attack in Dragon Form)! :smallbiggrin:

More for Roleplaying concept than min/maxing.

Cheers
Paul H

EvilBloodGnome
2010-03-31, 08:27 PM
Ah, here's the feat. Precocious Apprentice. Take it as a 1st level Wizard and you get one 2nd level spell slot that you can only fill with one spell of your choosing with casting it requiring a DC 8 caster level check. Then once you gain to ability to cast 2nd level spells, it just becomes an extra 2nd level spell slot. With a tacked-on extra of +2 to spellcraft.

But whether that lets you get into the Mystic Theurge early or not is an entirely different thread (several, most likely) because some claim that it doesn't make you qualify for being able to cast 2nd level spells. Other still claim that RAW means that as soon as you're able to cast 2nd level spells of any sorts, divine or arcane, you get a slot. Because of the progression of the Theurge you'd gain divine 2nd level first and then wouldn't qualify for the class anymore. Which is likely true, but only because of someone at WotC realizing what the feat would let you do and then putting in a weaksauce RAW nerf.

But hey, it's the only way to get 9th level casting at 20th level, so pass it by your DM. And take Practiced Spellcaster. Twice even.

0datdude0
2010-03-31, 08:34 PM
That feat would never get past my DM.

EvilBloodGnome
2010-03-31, 09:14 PM
Then hey, just have fun with it. 8th level casting is nothing to sneeze at and you're going to be slinging around a lot of spells.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-03-31, 09:38 PM
It sucks compared to the old Leap Attack + Shock Trooper combo.

That being true, but you are spending more feats to do more damage than one feat can do... and you can still take Leap Attack and Shock Trooper in Pathfinder... :smallconfused:

The thing that did it for me was harder encounters. Early on, yeah you're fighting kobolds and goblins, but the higher level encounters are actually "I'm scared for my character" effective.

Personal favorite is the Pugwampi encounters in the Legacy of Fire book 1. For attacks, saves, skills you roll twice and take the lower result when you are in the 20' aura radius of A Pugwampi.

The thing they should have done was not re-print Natural Spell, or nerf it significantly. Other than that, the fixing of Polymorph is decent, and the removal of Divine Metamagic (due to there being no actual "turn undead" as the 3.5 rules) has been good. Wizards are still too powerful, but a good DM would be able to work around that. Melee combat is a bit more fun, but still not as "powerful" as arcane magic. The new Sorcerer is awesome IMO. It is not just a wimpy spellcaster, they have a ton more tricks up their sleeves :) Plus the new Dragon Disciple progresses spellcasting (7/10, but still) and gives better abilities.

Dreamscarred Press is working on their rules for Psionics in the Pathfinder universe (or Crystal Sphere, for yon Spelljammer fans). The new Wilder and Soulknife (Yes, SOULKNIFE) look promising. If Paizo adopts their rules for Psionics, it would be awesomesauce.

0datdude0
2010-03-31, 11:03 PM
In Pathfider wiz or scor ? for the arcane class? I'm thinking wizard because of quickest entry.

Grommen
2010-03-31, 11:46 PM

Only sucks cause it can't be used as easily to break things.

If your playing a more balanced and friendly game it's all good. The Palidian we have in our party seems to get along just fine with power attack and a bastard sword.

Also works with more weapons than in 3.5 edition. So I can't personally say it sucks, but as with all things. Your mileage may vary.

Mongoose87
2010-04-01, 12:16 AM
Dreamscarred Press is working on their rules for Psionics in the Pathfinder universe (or Crystal Sphere, for yon Spelljammer fans). The new Wilder and Soulknife (Yes, SOULKNIFE) look promising. If Paizo adopts their rules for Psionics, it would be awesomesauce.

LINKY LINKY LINKY!!!!

Please.

PinkysBrain
2010-04-01, 03:44 AM
http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/ForumsPro/viewforum/f=2.html

BobVosh
2010-04-01, 05:06 AM
I was happy for a second when I saw spelljammer, then sadden when it wasn't what they were working on.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-04-01, 07:18 AM
http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/ForumsPro/viewforum/f=2.html

Thanks PB :)

I was happy for a second when I saw spelljammer, then sadden when it wasn't what they were working on.

Well, SJ works surprisingly well on the Pathfinder rules. DM worked his arse off on getting all the SJ rules and stuff updated, and even wrote his own campaign to support them :)