View Full Version : Help Needed With Epic Spell

Itous
2010-03-31, 01:00 PM
Hi all i'm looking to make yet another epic spell however i'm comming up short

heres what the spell should do

the spell summons 12 normal rats per caster level

my totalcaster level is 23

12x23= 276

the plan is these rats charge as an epic swarm onto the target attacking as a swarm (for the purpose of saving time for rolling attacks). now if some how someone manages to kill more then 2/3rds of the rats before they pop out of existance, they raise as undead rats and continue to attack tearing off flesh with thier tiny teeth. even if i don't control them all being 1HD per rat they should still attack the nearest living target being another rat or the target 50% chance.

anyone got any idea?

Itous

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-31, 02:27 PM
First off summoning many many creatures would shoot up the DC beyond reasonable, you double the DC for every additional creature it just doesn't work.

But summoning a single creature is much easier and swarms are treated as a single creature. The base DC for say summoning a ruin swarm would be 66,
(Base 14+10 for non outsider +42 for the increased CR). 86 if you wanted the casting time to be a single standard action.

First Epic spells don't have caster level based effects its flat.

What you purpose would first be easier by summoning say 20 regular rat swarms rather then a bunch of rats, but under the technical summon seed rules the DC would be higher then the single ruin swarm above.
So your talking various ad-hoc rules.

Itous
2010-03-31, 03:44 PM
nice so how many swarms could i get off at once then? is 2 or 3 acceptable?

also is it worth splicing in another seed to avoid casting another epic spell later, i have many good attack spells such as "the reapers cold hand" which deals 20d20 destruction damage and 10d20 cold damage and "flaming dice of death!" which is a huge sized burning d20 which bounced along the ground and explodes when it hits its target (a brief pun on all the times people have knocked off thier mini's with thier dice rolls)

does 30d20 damage total also, 20d20 destruction 10d20 fire i personally use a bag that magically geneates my base material then i fabricate the main componant leaving me free to use it next turn :)

sorry slightly off topic there.

yeah how many swarms, should i intergrate the animate seed into it aswell as the spell technically ends when thier dead from being undead or whatever the standard time limit would be.

itous

Boren
2010-03-31, 10:09 PM
Well the first rule of epic spells is they really can do anything you want so take your idea and run with it and see where you end up. As far as seeds go I would look at:
Summon, and Animate Dead for this.
Now the problem you would have is normally summoned things just dissipate when they die as they are not truly there. What you might want to use is two summon seeds one for the first swarm of live rats and a second that would bring in the swarm of undead rats at the moment the first swarm is defeated. You'll probably need an AdHoc +10 or so to the DC for the timing thing but that would be easier then trying to turn summoned critters into undead.