PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A new Daggerspell Guardian, the Daggerspell Sapphirist [PrC, Incarnum]

ErrantX
2010-03-31, 03:04 PM
Daggerspell Sapphirist

http://www.ableekertomorrow.com/042106charscolor/drayk.jpg
Roth Perrin, a daggerspell sapphirist

The Daggerspell Guardians have long been well known for their potent mages and shapers who protect the innocents of the realm through their vigilance and willingness to fuse the art of shadow and magic to hunt evil where it lay. In memory, only the two branches were known of until recently, when they opened up their membership to begin training others in their arts. One of these branches, known as the daggerspell sapphirists, have learned to fuse the use of incarnum and soulmelds with the art of the blade in a deadly blend of cobalt power.

Most daggerspell sapphirists begin as rogues who find a talent in meldshaping early in their careers. Some train previously as spellthieves as well. Most in this group who learn the arts of meldshaping do so as an incarnate, but the occasional soulborn or totemist takes up this martial arts form as well.
Hit Die: d6

Requirements:
Alignment: Any non-evil
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks
Feats: Weapon Focus (dagger), Two-Weapon Fighting
Meldshaping: Ability to shape soulmelds
Special: Essentia pool of 3 or more, sneak attack +1d6

Daggerspell Sapphirist
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Meldshaping

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Shape daggermeld, daggermeld chakra binding|
-

2nd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3|Chakra bind (feet, hands)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Sneak Attack +1d6|+1 level of existing meldshaping class

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Ceruelean Stealth|+1 level of existing meldshaping class

5th|
+3|
+2|
+4|
+4|Chakra bind (arms)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Sneak Attack +2d6|+1 level of existing meldshaping class

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Azure Rending|+1 level of existing meldshaping class

8th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+6|Chakra bind (waist)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+6|Sneak Attack +3d6|+1 level of existing meldshaping class

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+7|Daggermeld perfection, chakra bind (heart)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class [/table]

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points per Level: 6 + Intelligence modifier.

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The daggerspell sapphirist receives no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Daggermeld (Su): At 1st level, the daggerspell sapphirist gains the ability to create and bind a special type of soulmeld called a daggermeld. This is done by wrapping soul energy around the twin daggers known to their fighting style. While this meld is in place, the daggers of the sapphirist glow blue with misty incarnum, and strikes as a magical weapon. The weapons themselves also gain additional hardness and hit points, +1 hardness and +2 hit points per class level. The daggerspell sapphirist may also invest essentia into the daggermeld, gaining a +1 enhancement bonus to the weapon per essentia invested for every 2 class levels.

Shaping the daggermeld takes 8 hours of rest followed by 1 hour of meditation, in which the meldshaper's essence is bound to his fighting weapons. The daggermeld stays shaped until you unshape it or it is unshaped by an outside means (such as spells or if either dagger is sundered).The benefits of the daggermeld do not benefit anyone else beyond the meldshaper.

Daggermeld Chakra Binding (Su): When you shape your daggermeld, you can bind it to one of your body’s chakras. Doing so grants you a special ability that lasts as long as the daggermeld is shaped and the weapons are held. Unlike most soulmelds, the daggermeld’s appearance does not change while it is bound to a chakra, and the affected chakra is not apparent in any way to an onlooker. Furthermore, the weapon to which the daggermeld is attached is still wielded normally, even if it is bound to a chakra other than your hands. You can be disarmed normally, and it can still be sundered in the usual way. If you lose or put down the weapon while it is bound, it remains bound and retains the special characteristics it gains from the daggermeld; you also retain the special ability gained from the bind. No one else can benefit from the weapon’s incarnum-based powers.

Unlike a typical chakra bind, this one does not close the corresponding body slot. For example, a daggermeld bound to your hands chakra does not prevent you from wearing a pair of magic gloves. Daggermeld chakra bind does not grant you the ability to bind soulmelds or other magic items to your chakras. You may bind your daggermeld to any chakra you have access to bind to. A bound daggermeld grants the following abilities, dependant on chakra below:

Crown: As long as this chakra bind is in effect, you gain increased perception on the battlefield in regards to your foe’s weaknesses. When flanking an opponent, you gain an additional +2 to hit. You also gain a +4 insight bonus on Sense Motive checks to oppose an enemy’s attempt to feint against you. Investing essentia into this chakra bind nets you an additional +2 bonus to Sense Motive checks per essentia invested.
Feet: You become more reactive to danger, gaining an additional +2 insight bonus to Reflex saves while this chakra bind is in place. Additionally, you may move over difficult terrain at no penalty (including movement for Tumbling). Investing essentia into this chakra bind nets you an additional +1 to your Initiative checks per essentia invested.
Hands: Your precision attacks improve, gaining an additional +1d6 points of damage when you successfully sneak attack an opponent. Investing additional essentia into this chakra bind nets you an additional 1 point of damage on sneak attacks per essentia invested.
Arms: Your capability at killing improves, when scoring a critical hit you may add your sneak attack damage to the attack. If were already adding that, then the target is dazed for one round. Investing essentia into this chakra bind causes a target to be dazed for one round longer per essentia invested.
Brow: You gain blindsense 10ft while this chakra bind is in place. Investing essentia into this chakra bind improves your range by +5ft per essentia invested.
Shoulders: Your daggermeld may react to save your life in when bound to this chakra. If an attack would reduce your hit point total to 0 or less, you may make a Reflex save DC equal to the damage of the attack. If successful, you may halve the damage of the attack. Additional essentia invested into this chakra bind grants you a +2 bonus to Reflex saves for the purposes of this soulmeld per essentia invested.
Throat: When bound to this chakra, the daggermeld silences your actions completely, granting you a +10 insight bonus on Move Silently checks and you are considered to be under the effect of a silence spell with a radius of 10ft around you. Additional essentia invested grants you an additional 5ft per essentia invested.
Waist: You gain incredibly mobility with this chakra bind, allowing you to Tumble with a +10 insight bonus and without penalty to move at full speed. You also gain a +10 insight bonus to Jump and Balance checks. Every point of essentia invested in this chakra bind grants an additional +1 bonus to the listed skills.
Heart: You gain incredible strength of mind, gaining a +2 insight bonus to Will saves and immunity to fear effects. Additional essentia bound to this soulmeld grants an additional +1 to Will saves per essentia invested.
Soul: Your weapons gain the alignment type equivalent to your own (thus if you are neutral good, your weapons gain the good descriptor), as well as an additional +1d6 points of damage to the opposing alignment. Additionally, you gain immunity to compulsion effects. Investment of additional essentia grants an additional +1 point of damage per essentia invested to the bonus damage.
Totem: You grow an additional set of ghostly arms, each holding a phantom mirror of your main hand dagger. You gain the Multiweapon Fighting feat and two additional arms that have daggers (which strike as magic, though they have no enhancement bonus) in their hands. Additional essentia invested in this chakra bind nets a +1 enhancement bonus to the dagger's attack and damage bonus per essentia invested (to a maximum of +5).

Chakra Binds: Beginning at 2nd level, you can bind your soulmelds or magic items to your feet and hands chakras, in addition to any other chakras you have available. When you attain 4th level, your arms chakra becomes available. At 7th level, your waist chakra becomes available. At 10th level, your heart chakra becomes available.

Sneak Attack (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a daggerspell sapphirist deals an extra 1d6 points of damage when flanking an opponent or at any time when the target would be denied its Dexterity bonus. This extra damage applies to ranged attacks only if the target is within 30 feet. It increases to 2d6 points at 6th level and 3d6 points at 9th level. See the rogue class feature, page 50 of the Player’s Handbook. If a daggerspell sapphirist gets a sneak attack bonus from another source (such as levels of rogue), the bonuses on damage stack.

Cerulean Stealth (Su): By calling upon the spirits of sneaks that have come before and have yet to come, the daggerspell sapphirist may invest essentia into their stealth abilities. By wrapping themselves in a misty, midnight blue haze the meldshaper gains a +2 perfection bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks per point of essentia invested, and unlike other investitures of essentia, the daggerspell sapphirist may invest a number of points of essentia equal to his class level.

Azure Rending (Su): The daggerspell sapphirist learns the potent ability to rip essentia away from his foes by way of his daggermeld. When wielding two daggers with which are augmented by a daggermeld, the character may invest a number of essentia points into his sneak attack. For each point of essentia invested, when an enemy is successfully sneak attacked, the attack inflicts an additional 1 point of Charisma damage.

Daggermeld Perfection (Su): At 10th level, the daggerspell sapphirist gains the ability to bind his daggermeld to two different locations, and when this is done, he gains the benefits of both chakra binds as well as the ability to use a flurry of blows (as per the monk class) when wielding the two daggers that are being used for his daggermeld.

---

I have never worked with Incarnum before, so this is all new ground for me. PEACH! This work is done by request of PrinceOfThieves.

-X

PrinceOfThieves
2010-03-31, 04:24 PM
Well played sir. I really like what you've done. The only thing I can think of to add would be the ability to invest essentia into the Daggermeld ability to increase either the enhancement bonus of the weapon, or allow it to assume various weapon abilities, with a maximum amount equal to levels in this PrC. I can't wait to use this in my upcoming game.

ErrantX
2010-03-31, 05:47 PM
Added the essentia investment bit.

Glad you like it! It gets its own meldshaping special as well as advancing other meldshaping, so I think it's competitive. The Daggerspell Sage is coming along merrily.

-X

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-03-31, 08:07 PM
For the Daggermeld Chakra Binding: Feet, it would appear that it also allows for tumbling without additional penalties on rough terrain, which may or may not be the point. You should also mention if the daze effect from the arms bind is in addition to or instead of the sneak attack damage on the critical. On the Daggermeld Chakra Binding in general, I am a little sad to see that the abilities don't grow with additional essentia, like "10 ft. blindsense + 5ft/essentia."

Also, you should probably make it explicit that your flurry works with the daggers and/or only the daggers.

Other than that, props. I must say I am a fan.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-31, 08:47 PM
I like it. My only real critique is that Daggerspell Meldshaper is too similar to Daggerspell Shaper. Unfortunately, for all the adjectives that WotC associated with Incarnum (Azure, Midnight, Sapphire, Soul-, etc), they really only had the one noun (Meldshaper). But Daggerspell Sapphirist actually sounds pretty cool in my head...

Glimbur
2010-03-31, 09:00 PM
The Soul bind is too weak and the Totem bind is too strong. I would change the Soul bind to something... better. You generally get the Soul bind around level 17, so it should be something level appropriate. The Incarnate Avatar gives you a fly speed, the Threefold Mask of the Chimera lets you borrow a standard action from the future, the Planar Chasuble lets you cast Gate, the Keeneye Lenses give you True Seeing, etc. Maybe let them dodge other detection forms, like Darkstalker does?

I wanna monologue here about meldshaping PrC's and bind advancement. So, you get binds as you advance in your base class. You take a meldshaping PrC and if you're lucky it gives you more binds. But what happens when the PrC runs out? How can you get the soul bind? The quick and dirty fix is to let meldshaper level advancement get you new tiers of binds, but that removes the potential for PrC's to give binds sooner or later, besides by slowing down meldshaper progression altogether. Maybe throw in a carefully worded class feature so the levels sorta stack? Try
Levels in Daggerspell MeldShaper stack with levels in your base meldshaping class for unlocking new tiers of binds when you take more levels in your base meldshaping class.
That still won't cover jumping from PrC to PrC, which I view as an inconvenience. But I'm too lazy to fix it atm.

ErrantX
2010-04-01, 08:57 AM
Many small revisions, including investments of additional essentia into the daggermelds, the fix to Daggermeld Perfect, and totally stealing the name of Sapphirist, because I agree with you DragoonWraith.

Hopefully tuned down the Totem chakra and tuned up the Soul chakra, as well. Let me know what you all think!

-X