PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a programming project

subject42
2010-03-31, 03:55 PM
I've got the recreational programming bug again and I'd like to do something D&D related this time. Is there anything anyone out there is looking for that could save you time or headaches as a player or DM?

I can't make any guarantee's about whether I'll pick a given idea or finish it in a given timeline, but I would appreciate suggestions.

Lord of Syntax
2010-03-31, 04:07 PM
A XP calculator with level to XP and XP to Level functionality!

(What language? I am also a programmer in several languages, and I have some code that would help with this.)

subject42
2010-03-31, 04:29 PM
What do you mean by XP to level? Just typing one in and getting the other?

In regards to languages, I'd like to keep it web based (javascript or server side) for the sake of convenience, but that's not a hard rule.

jiriku
2010-03-31, 04:30 PM
A huge timesaver for me and perhaps many others would be a database of monster stats with live adjustments for common buffs.

So, for example, I could pull up "dire badger", and I'd see the stats for a dire badger. If I click checkboxes for "Celestial" and "Augment Summoning" the tool automatically applies the celestial template and the stat bonuses for Augment summoning. Dittos for other common effects like Corpsecrafter, animal growth, etc. Maybe with a "choose your own" option in which I could manually enter the parameters of a spell's or template's modifiers, name it, save it, and thenceforth be able to apply it to whatever monster as well.

Edit: And of course a "build your own" option so I could manually enter custom or variant base monsters. And if it could automatically advance monsters by HD? Sweet.

Lord of Syntax
2010-03-31, 04:35 PM
What do you mean by XP to level? Just typing one in and getting the other?

In regards to languages, I'd like to keep it web based (javascript or server side) for the sake of convenience, but that's not a hard rule.

It would use the party level to get the level afterward. (I recommend python!)

subject42
2010-03-31, 07:49 PM
A huge timesaver for me and perhaps many others would be a database of monster stats with live adjustments for common buffs.

So, for example, I could pull up "dire badger", and I'd see the stats for a dire badger. If I click checkboxes for "Celestial" and "Augment Summoning" the tool automatically applies the celestial template and the stat bonuses for Augment summoning. Dittos for other common effects like Corpsecrafter, animal growth, etc. Maybe with a "choose your own" option in which I could manually enter the parameters of a spell's or template's modifiers, name it, save it, and thenceforth be able to apply it to whatever monster as well.

Edit: And of course a "build your own" option so I could manually enter custom or variant base monsters. And if it could automatically advance monsters by HD? Sweet.

This sounds like a winning plan. Templating on the fly is always a pain for us, especially when the party has a Malconvoker.

holywhippet
2010-03-31, 08:51 PM
Only thing I can think of, which wouldn't really be legal, would be a big database of all the 4E stuff so you can look up rules quickly instead of fumbling through books each time.

Curmudgeon
2010-03-31, 08:58 PM
I'd like a benefit analysis of single weapon vs. two-weapon fighting for a character, with sneak attack + Craven. This should iterate through levels 1-20, with the result being the target AC which tips the balance between single weapon and TWF.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-31, 09:03 PM

Holy crap, this would be so awesome. Seconded so hard.

I'd pay money for this, actually. If I had money, that is, but the point remains.

Melayl
2010-03-31, 09:04 PM

I would have to second this one, I think.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-03-31, 09:06 PM

I third this.

EDIT: Wow, double ninja'd. So I guess, I'm what, fifthing it?

dspeyer
2010-03-31, 09:34 PM
I'd suggest starting by importing or copying the .js files from my monster finder (see sig). They contain all of the SRD and a bunch more. If you try to parse it yourself you'll spend ages fighting its typos.

Gralamin
2010-03-31, 09:50 PM
Only thing I can think of, which wouldn't really be legal, would be a big database of all the 4E stuff so you can look up rules quickly instead of fumbling through books each time.

Just buy DDI, its worth it :smalltongue:

I'd like a benefit analysis of single weapon vs. two-weapon fighting for a character, with sneak attack + Craven. This should iterate through levels 1-20, with the result being the target AC which tips the balance between single weapon and TWF.

I'm not the OP but this sounds interesting. I might make this, are we talking just Rogue sneak attack progression, or are we allowing more variable progression? Are we allowing different die sizes, the ability to remove the penalties to two weapon fighting attacks, etc.?
In other words, what Assumptions should I make to make this tool useful.

EpicEvokerElf
2010-03-31, 10:47 PM
I'd sixth(?) the summoning database. I would sell my (malconvoker's) soul for that.

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-31, 11:47 PM
7thing the summon database, so I can actually play a malconvoker with less hassle.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-31, 11:54 PM
8thing.

I'd personally like a character builder that I can enter my own classes into. So if I want to use Fax celetis's Monk I can put that in, name it something different and then use that class. same with feats and such.

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-01, 12:07 AM

Seconded.Ninthed? Sometimes I want to throw a templated beastie at the party and I have to go with something else because I can't always template on-the-fly. E-tools did this, but not very well, and I no longer have it.

Just the bare-bones editor/database/data entry interface would be great. I'd happily enter in monsters and templates myself.

obnoxious
sig

Draz74
2010-04-01, 01:34 AM
I've got the recreational programming bug again and I'd like to do something D&D related this time. Is there anything anyone out there is looking for that could save you time or headaches as a player or DM?

... you need to check out the MapTool community (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=community). Really need.

BobVosh
2010-04-01, 01:37 AM
MMm. 10th on the template thing. Although it might work best as an excel formula thing.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-01, 02:47 AM
I'm not the OP but this sounds interesting. I might make this, are we talking just Rogue sneak attack progression, or are we allowing more variable progression? Are we allowing different die sizes, the ability to remove the penalties to two weapon fighting attacks, etc.?
In other words, what Assumptions should I make to make this tool useful.
As I see it, the most utility comes from assuming Rogue sneak attack progression and standard TWF feat tree acquisition, and then adding Craven (since it's the single most important feat for Rogues). The next layer of complication would allow for different base weapon damage (say, rapier for single weapon vs. dual short swords for TWF, as this is more sensible than incurring greater penalties for non-light weapons). The next layer would add ½ WbL gp, with equal sums spent for magical enhancement for both single and dual weapon options.

As you've pointed out, there are really a lot of variables to consider here. But covering the most common cases first seems like a really useful programming project.

subject42
2010-04-01, 07:32 AM
I'd suggest starting by importing or copying the .js files from my monster finder (see sig). They contain all of the SRD and a bunch more. If you try to parse it yourself you'll spend ages fighting its typos.

I'll definitely take a look at those.

Have you looked at the MonsterDB spreadsheet at www.pathfindersrd.com? I was planning on using that for base material before I saw these.

valadil
2010-04-01, 08:46 AM
Here's an idea. How about a web site that lets you choose a saved character from the 4e CB and draws it as a web page? The .dnd4e files are just xml so you shouldn't have too much trouble processing them. The application of this would be for people who can't install the CB wherever they go. Like me for instance. I have windows at work but not at home. I end up printing up character sheets and reviewing my PCs' updates at work. I don't mind slacking on the job like this, but I mind not having the character information anywhere else.

potatocubed
2010-04-01, 09:40 AM
Program a roguelike. It's not quite D&D but it's roleplaying-esque.

subject42
2010-04-01, 09:43 AM
For those of you who are looking for a templater, it apparently already exists for both 3.5 and pathfinder for all legally redistributable material.

http://www.pathfindersrd.com/bestiary/monster-advancer

http://www.monsteradvancer.com/

Ravens_cry
2010-04-01, 09:48 AM
Program a roguelike. It's not quite D&D but it's roleplaying-esque.
Heh, Roguelikes. When Monsters were Letters, Dungeons were Random, and Potions were Plaid.
Good times.

Iban
2010-04-01, 09:52 AM

Yer this would actually be amazing. Epic amounts of kudos if you make it :smallbiggrin:

Prime32
2010-04-01, 09:55 AM
Here's an idea. How about a web site that lets you choose a saved character from the 4e CB and draws it as a web page? The .dnd4e files are just xml so you shouldn't have too much trouble processing them. The application of this would be for people who can't install the CB wherever they go. Like me for instance. I have windows at work but not at home. I end up printing up character sheets and reviewing my PCs' updates at work. I don't mind slacking on the job like this, but I mind not having the character information anywhere else.They might try to sue you for that.

valadil
2010-04-01, 10:01 AM
They might try to sue you for that.

I don't see why. All the program does is display information that's in the file they created. I'm not talking about showing any text from rulebooks, just what's in the .dnd4e file.

FWIW the process I use now for viewing those in another OS is I print a PDF from the CB. Of course they screwed up how the printing works so you end up with a PDF without margins and it doesn't print correctly (although I found a work around for that and posted that on my blog).

In case anyone can't tell, I'm not a big fan of WotC as a software company (although I'm glad they tried - they at least see the direction they should be heading in even if they don't have the skill to go there) and would rather eliminate as many WotC tools from my workflow as possible without sacrificing any funcionality.

ericgrau
2010-04-01, 10:36 AM
Another programmer here. The monster database sounds like a lot of work, so I'm waiting to see where the discussion goes and hoping one of the links works or the OP tackles this one if needed :smallbiggrin:. EDIT: Monster advancer is awesome. However:

This one seems simple, maybe even without a program. IIRC craven means crits become sneak attacks?

The answer should be the same regardless of level, unless you wish to include the benefit of a buckler. The fragile rogue will usually do more damage if he wields a weapon plus a buckler because he stays in the fight longer, regardless of target AC. Unless you're already safe via invisibility or some such. But I can ignore this issue and focus the table purely on damage per round just for kicks. It's pretty easy anyway.

Draz74
2010-04-01, 12:15 PM
IIRC craven means crits become sneak attacks?

No, you're thinking of the craptastic Telling Blow. Craven adds bonus damage to any sneak attack equal to character level. It's the best friend of the high-level melee character who has one level dipped in Rogue.

ericgrau
2010-04-01, 01:06 PM
Number of hits with and without TWF:
{table] AC-AB | BAB 0-5 | TWF BAB 0-5 | BAB 6-10 | TWF BAB 6-10 | BAB 11-15 | TWF BAB 11-15 | BAB 16+ | TWF BAB 16+
2 | 0.95 | 1.70 | 1.65 | 2.90 | 2.10 | 3.60 | 2.30 | 3.80
3 | 0.90 | 1.60 | 1.55 | 2.70 | 1.95 | 3.30 | 2.10 | 3.40
4 | 0.85 | 1.50 | 1.45 | 2.50 | 1.80 | 3.00 | 1.90 | 3.10
5 | 0.80 | 1.40 | 1.35 | 2.30 | 1.65 | 2.70 | 1.70 | 2.80
6 | 0.75 | 1.30 | 1.25 | 2.10 | 1.50 | 2.40 | 1.55 | 2.50
7 | 0.70 | 1.20 | 1.15 | 1.90 | 1.35 | 2.10 | 1.40 | 2.20
8 | 0.65 | 1.10 | 1.05 | 1.70 | 1.20 | 1.80 | 1.25 | 1.90
9 | 0.60 | 1.00 | 0.95 | 1.50 | 1.05 | 1.60 | 1.10 | 1.70
10 | 0.55 | 0.90 | 0.85 | 1.30 | 0.90 | 1.40 | 0.95 | 1.50
11 | 0.50 | 0.80 | 0.75 | 1.10 | 0.80 | 1.20 | 0.85 | 1.30
12 | 0.45 | 0.70 | 0.65 | 0.90 | 0.70 | 1.00 | 0.75 | 1.10
13 | 0.40 | 0.60 | 0.55 | 0.70 | 0.60 | 0.80 | 0.65 | 0.90
14 | 0.35 | 0.50 | 0.45 | 0.60 | 0.50 | 0.70 | 0.55 | 0.80
15 | 0.30 | 0.40 | 0.35 | 0.50 | 0.40 | 0.60 | 0.45 | 0.70
16 | 0.25 | 0.30 | 0.30 | 0.40 | 0.35 | 0.50 | 0.40 | 0.60
17 | 0.20 | 0.20 | 0.25 | 0.30 | 0.30 | 0.40 | 0.35 | 0.50
18 | 0.15 | 0.10 | 0.20 | 0.20 | 0.25 | 0.30 | 0.30 | 0.40
19 | 0.10 | 0.10 | 0.15 | 0.20 | 0.20 | 0.30 | 0.25 | 0.40
20 | 0.05 | 0.10 | 0.10 | 0.20 | 0.15 | 0.30 | 0.20 | 0.40 [/table]
Short answer: Just TWF all the time unless you have a buckler. In which case you usually want to use the buckler (more damage per fight on account of not running away, based on other tests I've done). Maybe if you needed to roll 15+ to hit the fact that you get almost as many hits with SWF might justify the higher damage from putting all your gold into one weapon instead of two.

Since a buckler requires no feats (MW buckler has zero ACP => zero non-proficiency penalty), one trick may be to fight with a buckler at early levels and switch to TWF at high levels once you get blink or greater invisibility or some such to protect you. That'll also free up your low level feats for other things, especially since rogues tend to be feat starved.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-01, 03:45 PM
Short answer: Just TWF all the time unless you have a buckler. ... Maybe if you needed to roll 15+ to hit the fact that you get almost as many hits with SWF might justify the higher damage from putting all your gold into one weapon instead of two.
That's the simplistic approach that I'm trying to get past. It's the expected damage dealt that's of interest here.

Firstly, you're assuming all full attacks, which isn't going to happen. The Two-Weapon Fighting tree is all cost and no benefit when you don't full attack. A programming tool that analyzes this situation has to at least include as input the percentage of rounds that can't offer full attacks: to cover surprise rounds, rounds spent moving, and rounds when a foe drops before you use all your attacks. Secondly you're assuming the damage is the same, but that's also a gross simplification. You can use the optimal weapon (rapier: best damage and threat range without burning a precious feat) for single weapon attacks, but cannot do so for TWF without including significant penalties. Then there's the key feat: Craven. If you take Two-Weapon Fighting you're going to not be taking Craven or some other generally useful feat, and the analysis needs to reflect that (3-level delay or whatever). Remember, the weapon critical threat range, adjusted AB, and Craven are synergistic in determining probable damage, because the Craven bonus damage gets multiplied on critical hits.

The short answer just isn't adequate.

ericgrau
2010-04-01, 04:31 PM
That's what needed clarifying then, that you'd be building around SWF not simply switching to it on a TWF build. I can get around to it at some point, but like I said I've already done SAB before and it easily comes ahead of TWF. So the next question is then high levels when you can safely TWF without needing a shield for protection.

I can say right off the top of my head that enchanting only 1 weapon will give about +2d6 or about +7 damage at mid to high levels. From the table above TWF adds about 50% more hits on a full attack. You'd have to do an awful lot of single attacks for those +50%s to be few enough to provide less than 7 damage on average.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-01, 05:17 PM
I can say right off the top of my head that enchanting only 1 weapon will give about +2d6 or about +7 damage at mid to high levels.
2d6? That doesn't seem like the right answer for a sneak attacker. Weapon enhancements should go to boost your hit percentage; the damage comes primarily from sneak attack. The only weapon special ability other than straight numerical enhancement worth paying for is keen. (Of course, with TWF the multiplied weapon costs mean you've got to consider Improved Critical (weapon type) as an alternative, using the same weapon in each hand.)

I'm wondering how to also figure in the use of Hide (without HiPS) or Invisibility (not Greater Invisibility), which will give sneak attack damage on the first hit only. I think this is most likely a once/combat thing, so we'd need to include the combat duration as a variable. This will boost total damage done for both options, but a bit more for the SWF: the TWF penalty increases the chance of blowing the sneak attack opportunity with a miss, and reduced critical confirmation chance and weapon choices like dual short swords reduce the damage from Craven on possible criticals.

No, this definitely isn't simple.

Edit: Total sneak attack percentage is also a critical input here, with flanking help availability a big part of that. The disadvantage of being a melee Rogue with high initiative modifier is that you'll typically get into position and attack for a round before your flanking buddy can help. Or you can instead use a missile weapon for a round, then close after your flanking partner is already in place -- definitely the safer choice with nothing more than light armor and d6 hit dice. But of course that option decreases the return on investment in Two-Weapon Fighting.

jpreem
2010-04-01, 05:21 PM
THW
Uberchareger.
TWF ahh makes me weep.Why do you have to spend feats to be worse off than just taking one BFS ( big effin sword)

Curmudgeon
2010-04-01, 05:35 PM
THW
Uberchareger.
TWF ahh makes me weep.Why do you have to spend feats to be worse off than just taking one BFS ( big effin sword)
We're talking a sneak attacker here. You can't make a Rogue into a non-sucky charger because they lack:

two-handed weapon proficiency
STR bonus (Strength being a prime choice for dump stat for a Rogue)
feats for Power Attack, Leap Attack, and so on
BAB to trade for Power Attack
Pounce ability
An übercharging Rogue is a laughable idea.

jpreem
2010-04-01, 05:44 PM
Missed any references to rogue in first post.
In case of rogues or the TWF is somewhat jutified. ( and other precision damage types).

Would a suggestion of dagger kukris etc be weird. So you can use your suprise round/first round for throwing things and then move to flanking. ( should spend a quick draw probably :()

When you are not dealing precision or other extra damage. TWF still is quite hmm poor choice.
Im actually sad that it is mechanically so sub par - i would like to see dextrous melee characters using TWF fighting and getting comparable results with THW melee types. Im thinking to allow the extra attack from TWF to work on standard attack in my campaingns

Curmudgeon
2010-04-01, 06:05 PM
Would a suggestion of dagger kukris etc be weird. So you can use your suprise round/first round for throwing things and then move to flanking. ( should spend a quick draw probably :()
Weird? Yeah, I think so. Daggers are available Rogue weapons, but they're poor choices for ranged use:

Rogues have only 3/4 BAB, so they can't afford big attack penalties.
Thrown daggers will incur range penalties. At 10'-15' it's -2; at 20'-25' it's -4; and at 30' (the limit for sneak attack) it's -6.
Daggers have poor damage and mediocre critical threat range.

Rogues aren't proficient with kukris.
Kukris can't be thrown.
Kukris do little damage.
Also Rogues are feat-poor, so they can't afford Martial Weapon Proficiency (kukri) or Quick Draw.

You're better off sticking with a ranged weapon that you're already proficient with, usually the composite shortbow (most Rogues) or composite longbow (Elf Rogues). That's fine for the single weapon Rogue, who can continue to hold their bow and draw a Rapier; it's only a problem for the TWF Rogue.

Prime32
2010-04-01, 06:46 PM
We're talking a sneak attacker here. You can't make a Rogue into a non-sucky charger because they lack:

two-handed weapon proficiency
STR bonus (Strength being a prime choice for dump stat for a Rogue)
feats for Power Attack, Leap Attack, and so on
BAB to trade for Power Attack
Pounce ability
An übercharging Rogue is a laughable idea.I made a decent lv4 one once. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=87820) (note that dvati have two bodies, so first-round damage would be 10d6+18)

Curmudgeon
2010-04-01, 07:09 PM
I made a decent lv4 one once. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=87820) (note that dvati have two bodies, so first-round damage would be 10d6+18)
A one-level dip isn't what I'd call a Rogue. You've made a Fighter.

The Deej
2010-04-01, 08:49 PM
I just did some numbers with Excel on the SWF vs TWF rogue thing. I'll admit that my calculations were far from perfect, but they seem to indicate that there's hardly any disparity in damage potential from levels 1-8*. It's not until level 9 (when Improved TWF can be taken) that TWF really seems to have a chance of outshining the single weapon build. Considering how I calculated things, SWF is a better choice if:

A) You won't be playing much past 9th level

B) You are feat starved
or
C) You don't have the gold to invest in two good weapons

*The following assumptions were made:
- Race: Human
- Craven feat taken at 1st level on both
- TWF is using 2 short swords
- SWF is using a greatsword (takes proficiency)
- Greater Magic weapon is cast on all weapons by wizard of equal level to the rogue

Prime32
2010-04-01, 09:40 PM
A one-level dip isn't what I'd call a Rogue. You've made a Fighter.The fighter levels use a variant which trades bonus feats for sneak attack.

ericgrau
2010-04-01, 09:43 PM
2d6? That doesn't seem like the right answer for a sneak attacker. Weapon enhancements should go to boost your hit percentage; the damage comes primarily from sneak attack.
Last time I figured it out even rogues should get mostly d6's. They should get a couple of points of enhancement bonuses, unlike other classes, but not much. So the last two +'s are d6's in either case. Or as said you get greater magic weapon and it becomes moot.

When you are not dealing precision or other extra damage. TWF still is quite hmm poor choice.
Im actually sad that it is mechanically so sub par - i would like to see dextrous melee characters using TWF fighting and getting comparable results with THW melee types. Im thinking to allow the extra attack from TWF to work on standard attack in my campaingns
There are a large number of awesome ways to make TWF effective even without a rogue and his bonus damage: Disarming, tripping (a touch attack, so especially good for secondary attacks), poison (yes, it IS good at levels 4-12), spell storing weapons (heck, quick draw two more), and basically any per-hit special effect you can find.

TheOverlord
2010-04-01, 09:52 PM
For those of you who are looking for a templater, it apparently already exists for both 3.5 and pathfinder for all legally redistributable material.

http://www.pathfindersrd.com/bestiary/monster-advancer

http://www.monsteradvancer.com/

You must have struck a good chord with the people Subject42 as you have solicited great feedback from the people about what they want. With that said I am happy you found my Monster Advancer and its ability to add templates. As far as the buffing on the fly...that is actually on my main roadmap for inclusion. (Not that I would try to deter you from the endeavor as my roadmap for the Monster Advancer is quite large and the gods have little clue when I will get to many of the features on that list.)

Quite the contrary, I think every 3.5 tool that gets made enhances the community. With that said, I also have the surprisingly complex algorithm for mixed group EL calculation that would not be terribly hard to include in a javascript only (or other scripting language) application for party level calculation if you wanted it. Although, I suppose there is a tool out there for that as well. Although, if you look closely you will realize that their algorithm is not exact. It estimates. Perhaps the math geek in me is the only one who really cares...but I like exact numbers. Never-the-less here is the tool to compare to and let me know if you want the exact EL calculation. http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm

If you do get to the buffing application make sure you include a way to add custom buffs to help facilitate the buffs from spells we can't include in an OGL tool. They can copyright the name Wizbang's Awesome Buff but they can't copyright the +4 Con and +2 AC from luck that it applies. So if the tool will just let me add my own buff name and select some affects I would be happy with that.

Melayl
2010-04-03, 03:14 PM
These are all great programs. Anybody know of a free, good world map-making tool? I looked at Maptools, and it's cool, but it doesn't look like it will do world maps well.