PDA

View Full Version : Bard Help [3.5]

Kin Silvion
2010-03-31, 04:38 PM
I'm going to be playing a bard in an upcoming D&D campaign. It will be starting at level 1 and I have already decided on playing a Half-Elf.

However, I'd like some tips on making a melee bard. The problem with this is that I plan on going straight up Bard 20, so this might be somewhat hard.

The Bard in question is going to use two handed weapons (don't ask) and I've already looked over DFI and SFWD. Both however are not allowed. Any other tips would be appreciated, however.

Glimbur
2010-03-31, 04:51 PM
Inspire Courage is still good to increase; Song of the Heart from Eberron Campaign setting, Badge of Valor from MiC (check the set items) or Inspirational Boost from Spell Compendium, and maybe Words of Creation from BoED if you feel like a goody-goody. The Vest of Legends from DMG II is pretty expensive, but will get you an additional +1 of IC at some levels.

Consider using a whip; they are amusing for tripping to help out your allies or to slow people down.

Slippers of Battledancing are nice.

Use some useful spells, like Haste, Whirling Blade, Entice Gift... buffs are better than debuffs or SoD's if you want to focus on Str and not Cha.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-31, 04:55 PM
Are you dead-set on Half-Elf? The race kinda sucks...

Kin Silvion
2010-03-31, 05:01 PM
I'm doing Half-Elf largly based on RPing, and we're only allowed the base races anyways. Plus it isn't that bad in terms of non-combat roles.

Optimator
2010-03-31, 05:11 PM
The half-elf Bard racial substitution levels are pretty sweet. Calm Emotions can be pretty strong. Check out Races of Destiny for the details.

Also, boosting Inspire Courage and Power Attacking the bonus away can be good. Spells like Bladeweave, Dolorous Blow, Whirling Blade, and Haste can be surprisingly potent. Also, Snowsong from Frostburn.

Optimator
2010-03-31, 05:27 PM
I've been doing a bit more thinking. Since you're going straight Bard, let's work with what you get: Spells and Songs. Can you take Martial Maneuver (some white raven strike or boost you qualify for), Martial Stance (I like Leading the Charge), and Song of the White Raven? That way you can do songs as a swift action and stack them high, making you into a Courageous, Great, Heroic ass-beater. Get a Harmonizing Crystal Echoblade greatsword and you can store a song in it and do half your Bard level in bonus sonic damage. They aren't too expensive either. Slap on the Martial Discipline enhancement (White Raven of course) and go to town with greater accuracy than normal fighters! Battle Bards have a huge amount of potential. EVen more so with PrCs but we work with what we have.

Melodic Casting (Complete Mage?) is a must, as is Song of the Heart (Eberron) and Inspirational Boost (SpC). No reason to cancel a good battle Bard song to cast a battle Bard spell, right?

The Allegro spell is a personal favorite of mine as well. SpC.

The Bardic Knack variant from PHBII would be a good choice for a battle Bard as well.

Greater Mirror Image from PHBII is effing sickhouse for any melee build, and you get it straight up. Also, Ruin Delver's Fortune from SpC is a great defensive spell in case your HP gets down or your saves are targeted.

El Dorado
2010-03-31, 06:04 PM
Improvisation is a good spell that only gets better as you level. Bladeweave is a nice swift action spell to supplement your melee capability. I cannot say enough good things about haste and displacement. Grease, Glitterdust, Invisiblity are all solid choices. Dispel Magic. Freedom of Movement.

Feats: Melodic Casting, Song of the Heart, Lyric Spell, Extra Music.

Half elf substitution levels (particularly Calm Emotions) are good.

Crystal echoblade is awesome for a pure bard. As a longsword, it can even be wielded two-handed. It's even better with the Harmonizing weapon property. Get the best cloak of charisma you can afford. Healing Belt. One item I got far more use out of than I expected were bracers of arcane freedom (still spell 2/day).

I'd invest in a mithral buckler (no spell failure chance). It's nice to have a shield bonus when you need it.

Max ranks in Tumble and UMD.

Good luck and have fun!

Keld Denar
2010-03-31, 06:54 PM
Song of the White Raven is bad if you are going to be using Inspirational Boost. Both would be swift actions, and you only get one. If you aren't using Insp Boost, then you're fine with SotWR, but otherwise stick to something else.