PDA

View Full Version : Magical Traps, Auto-Reset OH MY!

NekoJoker
2010-03-31, 04:46 PM
Hi there! I have been lurking the boards looking for cool stuff and on one of the many threads dedicated to the Tippyverse I got smitten by the idea of creating the Magical Auto-reset traps that create food and water an another that may do some healing.

I searched how to make this traps but I am a bit confused about ruling.
on the SRD [ http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm ] it says the following=

Designing A Trap= Magic Traps
As with mechanical traps, you don’t have to do anything other than decide what elements you want and then determine the CR of the resulting trap (see Table: CR Modifiers for Magic Traps). If a player character wants to design and construct a magic trap, he must have the Craft Wondrous Item feat. In addition, he must be able to cast the spell or spells that the trap requires—or, failing that, he must be able to hire an NPC to cast the spells for him.

All nice and dandy, but i have some questions regarding costs

One-Shot Trap
Per spell on the trap (only one)= +50 gp × caster level × spell level, +4 XP × caster level × spell level

Automatic Reset Trap
Per spell on the trap (only one) = +500 gp × caster level × spell level, +40 XP × caster level × spell level

What I don't understad is what the base price for the trap would be?
Is it the same base price as a mechanical trap (1,000 gp)?
ist it different?

one a side note, it also talks about XP points to be invested,are these paid separately or are they included in the base price or something?

Some help with the math would be very welcome.
thx

Jack_Simth
2010-03-31, 04:52 PM
Hi there! I have been lurking the boards looking for cool stuff and on one of the many threads dedicated to the Tippyverse I got smitten by the idea of creating the Magical Auto-reset traps that create food and water an another that may do some healing.

I searched how to make this traps but I am a bit confused about ruling.
on the SRD [ http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm ] it says the following=

Designing A Trap= Magic Traps
As with mechanical traps, you don’t have to do anything other than decide what elements you want and then determine the CR of the resulting trap (see Table: CR Modifiers for Magic Traps). If a player character wants to design and construct a magic trap, he must have the Craft Wondrous Item feat. In addition, he must be able to cast the spell or spells that the trap requires—or, failing that, he must be able to hire an NPC to cast the spells for him.

All nice and dandy, but i have some questions regarding costs

One-Shot Trap
Per spell on the trap (only one)= +50 gp × caster level × spell level, +4 XP × caster level × spell level

Automatic Reset Trap
Per spell on the trap (only one) = +500 gp × caster level × spell level, +40 XP × caster level × spell level

What I don't understad is what the base price for the trap would be?
Is it the same base price as a mechanical trap (1,000 gp)?
ist it different?

one a side note, it also talks about XP points to be invested,are these paid separately or are they included in the base price or something?

Some help with the math would be very welcome.
thx
You mean the market price for the trap?

Traps aren't mobile, so they're not normally bought or sold. It's *normally* a moot point. The costs listed are the costs for crafting them. If you want the market price, just double the gold side of the equation.

NekoJoker
2010-03-31, 05:00 PM
You mean the market price for the trap?

Actually it si the Crafting costr. I want to craft them myself so I need to know how much it will cost and how much it will take.

so basically yeah I need to know how to calculate the crafting cost of a One-shot trap (with a manual reset)

Or the cost of an automatic reset trap.

It all boils down to Costs & Time expenditure.

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-31, 05:30 PM
so basically yeah I need to know how to calculate the crafting cost of a One-shot trap (with a manual reset)Err, that's a bit of a contradiction, there...

NekoJoker
2010-03-31, 05:31 PM
True enough alucard, so let's focus on the auto-reset. Any ideas on how much to spend? just need the maths.

Gan The Grey
2010-03-31, 07:14 PM
I'm pretty sure all traps start out with a cost of 1,000 gp, and then are modified from there.

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-31, 07:23 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm
Cost of a Mechanical Trap
The base cost of a mechanical trap is 1,000 gp. Apply all the modifiers from Table: Cost Modifiers for Mechanical Traps for the various features you’ve added to the trap to get the modified base cost.

The final cost is equal to (modified base cost × Challenge Rating) + extra costs. The minimum cost for a mechanical trap is (CR × 100) gp.

After you’ve multiplied the modified base cost by the Challenge Rating, add the price of any alchemical items or poison you incorporated into the trap. If the trap uses one of these elements and has an automatic reset, multiply the poison or alchemical item cost by 20 to provide an adequate supply of doses.

Magic Device Trap Cost

Building a magic device trap involves the expenditure of experience points as well as gold pieces, and requires the services of a spellcaster. Table: Cost Modifiers for Magic Device Traps summarizes the cost information for magic device traps. If the trap uses more than one spell (for instance, a sound or visual trigger spell in addition to the main spell effect), the builder must pay for them all (except alarm, which is free unless it must be cast by an NPC; see below).

The costs derived from Table: Cost Modifiers for Magic Device Traps assume that the builder is casting the necessary spells himself (or perhaps some other PC is providing the spells for free). If an NPC spellcaster must be hired to cast them those costs must be factored in as well.

A magic device trap takes one day to construct per 500 gp of its cost.

Magic traps can be quite cheap and appear to have no base cost beyond the 'modifiers'.

Edit:
The entry for the inflict light wounds trap supports this:

Inflict Light Wounds Trap

CR 2; magic device; touch trigger; automatic reset; spell effect (inflict light wounds, 1st-level cleric, 1d8+1, DC 11 Will save half damage); Search DC 26; Disable Device DC 26. Cost: 500 gp, 40 XP.

From the table, the costs are:
Automatic reset spell:
500g x CL x Spell level (500 x 1 x 1 = 500gp)
40 XP x CL x Spell level (40 x 1 x 1 = 40xp)
So yeah. Magic traps are cheap. Bear in mind though, that the creator must have Craft Wondrous Item and if he is unable to supply the spells himself, he'll have to pay the normal costs to hire someone else to do it, or buy a scroll or wand, etc.

obnoxious
sig

NekoJoker
2010-03-31, 07:44 PM
Excelent, that's what I needed.
Thank you very much guys.
No further questions gentlemen.

Gan The Grey
2010-04-01, 05:18 AM
Drat! Foiled again! :smallsmile: