PDA

View Full Version : Please help me spend 16k GP and critique my character!

gallagher
2010-03-31, 08:07 PM
so i have about 16k GP left, and i need help a-spendin it!

here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=196143)is the character sheet, for those who would like a look-see

i am considering going with strong-arm bracers instead of the bracers of armor +2. i havent quite decided, but that would add 3k gp to my pool to spend it on.

also, for those wondering, it is a partial gestalt game, so i could gestalt the low-tiered fighter with the monk, and the tier 6 warrior with my psichic warrior. i like having evasion, full BAB, and the extra feats.

my next feat is going to be improved critical for my Jovar.

EDIT: And this is a soulbound warrior, and my DM has ruled that i cannot further enhance my weapon outside of what it naturally does as i progress, along with the extra enhancing from calling the weapon in the first place

Coidzor
2010-03-31, 08:23 PM
You could pay 1.5 times the cost to get the strong arm bracers and the armor+2 combined, or anything else that would be on one's hands/arms body slot.

Not the best suggestion, but it is a possibility.

Edit: :smalleek: Please tell me you only have warrior on the gestalt due to a requirement of having an NPC class gestalted to something like Psychic Warrior.

The Rabbler
2010-03-31, 08:23 PM
i'm going to assume that your AC is coming from no armor and monk, so armor ideas is worthless here.

you might want to put some more into your jovar; maybe get wrathful healing or keen on it just to unleash some whup. alternatively, you could put discipline on your weapon (from ToB) and choose whichever discipline has the stance you like the most, netting a +3 bonus to hit almost permanently.

and then there's this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0]).

EDIT: go for the strongarm bracers and get armor placed on something else (cloak perhaps) via MiC rules for improving items. also, you might want to get sizing on your weapon (only +5,000 gp). having a weapon that can "disappear" or get incredibly large at will is very useful.

AslanCross
2010-03-31, 08:24 PM
1. Spool of endless rope (MIC, 1400) will meet all your rope needs.
2. Survival Pouch (MIC, 3300) has a lot of interesting tools.
3. You could make your jedi robe a Robe of Useful Items (7k, DMG) instead. The patches aren't visible to others anyway---or you could instead have the patches inside the sleeves.
4. Rod of Surprises (MIC, 6000): Emergency weapon, magic mouth, and extending support beam.

Arakune
2010-03-31, 08:25 PM
Get inertial armor and ditch the bracers of armor.

gallagher
2010-03-31, 08:27 PM
i am sorry, i should have said in the first post that this is a Soulbound Weapon PsiWarrior. i will change the OP to reflect that. my DM ruled that i cannot further enhance the weapon because it enhances on its own. so to the poster(s) before this that say to up my jovar, i apologize.

Coidzor
2010-03-31, 08:30 PM
Was just about to suggest a scabbard of keen edges, but that would set you out of 16 K.
Scabbard of Keen Edges

This scabbard is fashioned from cured leather and fine silver. It can shrink or enlarge to accommodate any knife, dagger, sword, or similar weapon up to and including a greatsword. Up to three times per day on command, the scabbard casts keen edge on any blade placed within it.

Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, keen edge; Price 16,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Hmm. Actually, might see about an eternal wand of keen edge. A regular wand of it is 11,250 and can be something that could be split with other melee types if you have someone who can use it on you guys before fights as a buff.

Can't remember the price for an eternal wand of a 3rd level spell though...

Edit: It'll be 10,900 gp with a CL of 5, so each use will last for 50 minutes. But, still, probably out of what your DM will allow to be spent on a single item for you.

gallagher
2010-03-31, 08:31 PM
You could pay 1.5 times the cost to get the strong arm bracers and the armor+2 combined, or anything else that would be on one's hands/arms body slot.

Not the best suggestion, but it is a possibility.

Edit: :smalleek: Please tell me you only have warrior on the gestalt due to a requirement of having an NPC class gestalted to something like Psychic Warrior.
and yes, i gestalted with warrior because a tier 3 class in this game can only gestalt with a tier 6. i prefer warrior to the CW Samurai any day :)

gallagher
2010-03-31, 08:35 PM
Updated the CharSheet, so now i have strongarm bracers and a survival pouch. i am looking into the robe of useful items now.

how much is it to put armor bonuses on my jedi robe?

tyckspoon
2010-03-31, 08:38 PM
Not sure where you're getting +2 Shield. Also Psionic Weapon doesn't work like that- it adds damage to one strike when you expend your focus, the way metapsionic feats improve powers. If you're going to be using your focus in that fashion Deep Impact is probably the better choice, as it will allow you to make a Power Attack for full or near full with decent chances of hitting (mind, neither one is all that good for you, because you should either be making a full attack or using Lion's Charge to make a full attack in almost any situation, which means you want buffs that improve all of your attacks instead of one strike.)

Featwise, you should find a way to fit Linked Power in there (one of the best things Comp. Psionics did for.. well, every manifester.) With it you can do something like manifest Psionic Lion's Charge linked to Force Screen, so you can pounce your chosen victim and then next turn you'll get the +4 Shield bonus without spending any extra actions.

Drop the bracers, take Inertial Armor. 1 point spent gives you Mage Armor for hour/level, and it scales if you need more AC and want to spend the PP on it (drop Call Weapon[ry] and/or Force Screen to fit in Armor. Neither one is all that useful unless you are using the Soulknife-replacement PsyWar ACF or Linking it in, respectively.)

To answer the actual question: If you want damage output, invest the money in adding Collision to your sword (hmm. It'd take all of your cash to do it and then a bit- it's a +2 property, so it'd put the base cost up to 18,000 as a +3 weapon, plus whatever it cost to get it made of masterwork Kaorti Resin.) Instead, maybe acquire a Lesser Energy Assault augment crystal, which will have the same effect as Flaming/Frost/Shocking for significantly less cost.

Edit: Oh, it's a Soulbound. I'm afraid that doesn't allow it to be Kaorti Resin unless your DM has ok'd that as homebrew- Call Weaponry specifies that the weapon is made of mundane material. You'll also definitely want Linked Power, as using Call Weaponry normally really sucks. With Linked Power, you can Psi Lion's Charge into an unarmed Flurry attack, and then Link in Call Weaponry to get your Jovar for free the next round.

gallagher
2010-03-31, 08:52 PM
what is the point in dropping force shield for inertial armor, if they give me the same amount of AC bonus? i was under the impression that i could add an armor bonus to my robe, and therefor needed a different kind of bonus here.

and yes, i am a soulbound warrior, so i need call weaponry.

i will need to talk to my DM about allowing augment crystals. he said no to putting extra enhancements on it because it scales with my character, and he doesnt want my sword to be the best sword that was ever created.

gallagher
2010-03-31, 08:56 PM
also, if i am doing that extra 4d6 (and yes i know it expends my focus to do this) with greater psionic weapon, does that only apply on that next swing or until my next turn? and the same question goes for Deep Impact.

not that it is a big deal if it is only on that next swing.

also, since i am psionically focussed for both of those, can i do both in the same action? so i could instead only do an extra 2d6, but also hit on touch AC?

The Glyphstone
2010-03-31, 09:00 PM
Not unless you somehow have 2 foci to spent (with Psicrystal Containment, you could, but you don't).

You only get the bonus on one attack, as mentioned.

Coidzor
2010-03-31, 09:01 PM
Well, the main argument there is that you already pay the cost of having it scale up with your level by not being able to improve it and only having access to it when you pay powerpoints.

So as long as the crystal either is left behind when the weapon leaves and you have to put it in when it's first called any and every time or the crystal stays with it and leaves your possession until you call the weapon again until you change or remove crystals while it's called, that should work out ok.

tyckspoon
2010-03-31, 09:05 PM
what is the point in dropping force shield for inertial armor, if they give me the same amount of AC bonus? i was under the impression that i could add an armor bonus to my robe, and therefor needed a different kind of bonus here.

Force Screen lasts 1 minute/level, which means you need to devote either a Standard action or a Link Power to putting it up in pretty much every fight. Inertial Armor lasts 1 hour/level, which means you can pretty much mark off 1 or 2 pp/day and forget about it. It's also cheaper to scale it with augments than it is to buy +armor on items- you can add the armor bonus to your robes, but it has the same cost as Bracers of Armor. Inertial Armor: +4 Armor for 1 PP. +4 (Robes) of Armor: 16,000 GP. And then you can augment Inertial Armor; at your current manifester level, you could spend 7 PP to get +7 Armor for 7 hours. +7 Armor on an item would run you 49k. It's not an absolute no-brainer, but it is a good question of what you prioritize- do you want your cash for other things? Do you need your PP reserved for other stuff (and you might, since you have to Call your primary weapon each fight?)

gallagher
2010-03-31, 09:11 PM
Force Screen lasts 1 minute/level, which means you need to devote either a Standard action or a Link Power to putting it up in pretty much every fight. Inertial Armor lasts 1 hour/level, which means you can pretty much mark off 1 or 2 pp/day and forget about it. It's also cheaper to scale it with augments than it is to buy +armor on items- you can add the armor bonus to your robes, but it has the same cost as Bracers of Armor. Inertial Armor: +4 Armor for 1 PP. +4 (Robes) of Armor: 16,000 GP. And then you can augment Inertial Armor; at your current manifester level, you could spend 7 PP to get +7 Armor for 7 hours. +7 Armor on an item would run you 49k. It's not an absolute no-brainer, but it is a good question of what you prioritize- do you want your cash for other things? Do you need your PP reserved for other stuff (and you might, since you have to Call your primary weapon each fight?)

wow, i must have overlooked the hour/level over minute/level.

and, btw, thank you for explaining that without sounding condescending. that is one of the things i like about these boards: we are generally nicer around here.

gallagher
2010-03-31, 09:14 PM
And BTW, are there any ways for me to enhance my speed cheeply? i took Up the Walls for that kind of thing. also a reason why i took Xeph.

its not a major priority, since running is what, 3x footspeed? and with xeph burst, that gives me 180 ft, more than enough to scale most areas where this is advantageous.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-31, 09:18 PM
And BTW, are there any ways for me to enhance my speed cheeply? i took Up the Walls for that kind of thing. also a reason why i took Xeph.

its not a major priority, since running is what, 3x footspeed? and with xeph burst, that gives me 180 ft, more than enough to scale most areas where this is advantageous.A Fast Leg graft (10' untyped bonus to land speed) is 4,000 gp, but it's a fiendish graft (see: Fiend Folio), which only really works on Evil characters.

Boots of Skating (see the SRD) are 7,000 gp, and allow you to use skate on yourself at will (+15' enhancement bonus to land speed, though it doesn't stack with most magical effects).

Boots of Speed, of course.

Also, you could try grabbing metamorphosis for various types of movement (fly, burrow, swim, and large bonuses to overland movement). It'd also seriously enhance your physical stats and grant you a huge boost to utility. (Only at or after level psywar level 10, though.) Then you can even craft yourself a psychoactive skin of proteus.

Also...is that a 4-way gestalt?

gallagher
2010-03-31, 09:45 PM
A Fast Leg graft (10' untyped bonus to land speed) is 4,000 gp, but it's a fiendish graft (see: Fiend Folio), which only really works on Evil characters.

Boots of Skating (see the SRD) are 7,000 gp, and allow you to use skate on yourself at will (+15' enhancement bonus to land speed, though it doesn't stack with most magical effects).

Boots of Speed, of course.

Also, you could try grabbing metamorphosis for various types of movement (fly, burrow, swim, and large bonuses to overland movement). It'd also seriously enhance your physical stats and grant you a huge boost to utility. (Only at or after level psywar level 10, though.) Then you can even craft yourself a psychoactive skin of proteus.

Also...is that a 4-way gestalt?
that isnt a 4-way gestalt. my first 2 levels are fighter/monk, and the second set, of which are 7 levels, are psiwarrior and warrior. in this game, tier 3 and 4 classes get to gestalt with tier 6 classes, and tier 5 get to gestalt with 5 or 6. hence the muttledness. i was considering ninja over monk, and i am not sure why i picked monk. i think it is the look of it, mixed with the look of a xeph.

but hey, i get full BAB, so i am not complaining about my own choices this time.

and my character is NE, and it is an evil campaign. just thought you would like that interesting tidbit. i worship eruthnyl (or however you spell it, the god of slaughter).

gallagher
2010-03-31, 09:57 PM
also, can someone please give me the basics for a psychoactive skin of proteus? what is it, what does it do, how do i create it, how do i wear it, and how awesome is it?

tyckspoon
2010-03-31, 10:10 PM
..ok. http://www.d20srd.org/ The Expanded Psionic Handbook is OGL material, and as such is on there. It's going to be your #1 reference for most psionic stuff, including psionic items (they're pretty nifty, all told- if you have enough cash to spare Gloves of Object Reading and a Third Eye: Sense make excellent general adventuring items.)

Coidzor
2010-03-31, 10:16 PM
also, can someone please give me the basics for a psychoactive skin of proteus? what is it, what does it do, how do i create it, how do i wear it, and how awesome is it?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalitems.htm#skinofProteus

Skin of Proteus

This psychoactive skin continually affects the wearer as the metamorphosis power. While in a form other than his natural form, the wearer does not appear to be wearing the skin.

Moderate psychometabolism; ML 7th; Craft Universal Item, metamorphosis; Price 84,000 gp; Weight 2 lb.

Not sure what psychoactive does, but that's a skin of Proteus. Crafting cost is... Actually, can't recall. Think it's half the market price plus 1/25 the market price in XP.

Think it takes up the clothing body slot. Either that or the cloak. Requires the psionic equivalent of Craft Wondrous Item.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-31, 10:28 PM
Metamorphosis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metamorphosis.htm) is a better version of polymorph (as it allows you to take object form as well, but is self-only). It's also self-contained, and is unaffected by polymorph errata.

The psychoactive skin of proteus allows you to use that at manifester level 7 at will.

Psychoactive skins take up their own special body slot (it's the psychoactive skin slot rather than, say, the helmet slot, or the glove slot), you can only wear three at a time, and only actively use one at a time. You can swap them out as a standard action, and can don/doff them as a standard action as well. They tend to be at will (but aren't always), and are quite powerful generally, but they're very expensive as well (for instance, the skin of proteus is 84,000 gp). It costs 42,000 gp and 3,360 xp to craft.

Oh, and they tend to weigh 1 lb each.

The Rabbler
2010-03-31, 10:33 PM
Not sure what psychoactive does, but that's a skin of Proteus. Crafting cost is... Actually, can't recall. Think it's half the market price plus 1/25 the market price in XP.

Think it takes up the clothing body slot. Either that or the cloak. Requires the psionic equivalent of Craft Wondrous Item.

not quite, the psychoactive skins go over everything. you can wear three of them at a time with only one of them active. they take up no item slot other than the skins themselves. but you were correct about the item creation cost.

gallagher
2010-03-31, 11:17 PM
ah, so this is something i cant be gaining for a while, then?

sorry, i know i should be looking most of this stuff up on my own, but i am using an ipod touch to talk on here at the moment, and constantly going through new webpages is incredibly slow.

were i at my computer, i would no doubt be much less problematic.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-31, 11:38 PM
ah, so this is something i cant be gaining for a while, then?

sorry, i know i should be looking most of this stuff up on my own, but i am using an ipod touch to talk on here at the moment, and constantly going through new webpages is incredibly slow.

were i at my computer, i would no doubt be much less problematic.Well, there's always the psychoactive skin of ectoplasmic armor. No speed penalty, and it weighs just 1 lb (and as mentioned, can be donned/doffed as a standard action), but is otherwise identical to full plate. It's not actually armor, either, though it can't be enhanced. Costs exactly twice as much as full plate does.

It's in Complete Psionic.

gallagher
2010-04-01, 09:10 AM
Well, there's always the psychoactive skin of ectoplasmic armor. No speed penalty, and it weighs just 1 lb (and as mentioned, can be donned/doffed as a standard action), but is otherwise identical to full plate. It's not actually armor, either, though it can't be enhanced. Costs exactly twice as much as full plate does.

It's in Complete Psionic.

ok, i just got complete psionic and put it on my ipod, so i can now read it to its fullest extent. thank you very much!

Ormagoden
2010-04-01, 09:57 AM
Correct me if I'm mistaken but don't Kaorti weapons dissolve?

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-01, 10:02 AM
Correct me if I'm mistaken but don't Kaorti weapons dissolve?Only if they're non-magical OR don't have a Kaorti to perform upkeep. I think. I'm going by what other people have said, since I'm not familiar with them myself.

Keld Denar
2010-04-01, 03:39 PM
Kaorti Resin weapon creation rules. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a)

Neither the web enhancement nor the actual Kaorti entry in the Fiend Folio make any note of enchanted Kaorti Resin weapons being exempt from their 500 day expiration limit. The Resin Suit specifies that it is alchemically trreated, but it doesn't state that this alchemical treatment preserves it from decay or not.

gallagher
2010-04-02, 11:57 AM
Kaorti Resin weapon creation rules. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a)

Neither the web enhancement nor the actual Kaorti entry in the Fiend Folio make any note of enchanted Kaorti Resin weapons being exempt from their 500 day expiration limit. The Resin Suit specifies that it is alchemically trreated, but it doesn't state that this alchemical treatment preserves it from decay or not.

Kaorti resin typically lasts only about 500 days, so a kaorti item maker must strengthen it with extra material excreted from its own body to fashion a truly permanent item
this leads me to believe that it can be made permanent, and therefor should not be a problem.

so i am getting a lesser crystal of energy assault (fire). this makes my Jovar doing 4d6 (3d6 for being large, as i recall, through my strongarm bracers, and 1d6 fire, as well as 1d6 fire the following round) and will do extra d6's per size category i go up thanks to expand. i also took off greater psionic weapon for improved critical on my Jovar. i am currently trying to think up a wicked name to call it, because part of this campaign is we are trying to become immortal.

i havent exactly worked out the kinks of how i want to do this, but i think i am going to make my secret order of slaughterers that worship eruthnyl or something, and whoever wears my special ring can call my specific weapon and takes on my powers (kind of like my chosen leader or something). i am working on the details.

what other items would be cool to look into? i have 13k gp left

gallagher
2010-04-02, 12:27 PM
considering a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. i like the benefits

Keld Denar
2010-04-02, 05:00 PM
this leads me to believe that it can be made permanent, and therefor should not be a problem.
Really? Because that leads me to believe the opposite. NORMALLY, a Kaorti Resin weapon breaks down after 500 days UNLESS there is a Kaorti present to continuously supply resin to strengthen it.

No Kaorti Resin item makes any mention of being exempt from decay, and the rule you quoted states that all Kaorti Resin items decay. Therefore, you infer that all Kaorti items decay UNLESS there is a Kaorti present to reinforce it.

what other items would be cool to look into? i have 13k gp left

Cheap things I like a Scout's Headband (3400g, MIC) for on demand Darkvision, See Invis, or True Seeing, Third Eye Clarity (3000g, MIC) for a 1/day get out of stun, Anklets of Translocation (1400g, MIC) 2/day 10' swift action teleport.

gallagher
2010-04-02, 05:37 PM
Really? Because that leads me to believe the opposite. NORMALLY, a Kaorti Resin weapon breaks down after 500 days UNLESS there is a Kaorti present to continuously supply resin to strengthen it.

No Kaorti Resin item makes any mention of being exempt from decay, and the rule you quoted states that all Kaorti Resin items decay. Therefore, you infer that all Kaorti items decay UNLESS there is a Kaorti present to reinforce it.

Cheap things I like a Scout's Headband (3400g, MIC) for on demand Darkvision, See Invis, or True Seeing, Third Eye Clarity (3000g, MIC) for a 1/day get out of stun, Anklets of Translocation (1400g, MIC) 2/day 10' swift action teleport.it sounds alot like with enough of the resin, it can be made permanent, but i guess that is up to interpretation.

and those anklets of translocation sound really good. they would especially buy me some extra time to get my called weapon out

Keld Denar
2010-04-02, 06:53 PM
See, the way it sounds to me is that no sizeable amount can just be made into a weapon that doesn't decay. After all, weapons have a finite mass and volume. New material would have to be applied at a semi-regular basis to keep the weapon at that desired mass and volume.

Even if you had a backpack full of resin protected from decay, most people wouldn't have the knowledge or perhaps even biology to reinforce the weapon as it breaks down from exposure to the Prime.

gallagher
2010-04-03, 12:29 PM
See, the way it sounds to me is that no sizeable amount can just be made into a weapon that doesn't decay. After all, weapons have a finite mass and volume. New material would have to be applied at a semi-regular basis to keep the weapon at that desired mass and volume.

Even if you had a backpack full of resin protected from decay, most people wouldn't have the knowledge or perhaps even biology to reinforce the weapon as it breaks down from exposure to the Prime.

so i need to be able to contact a kaorti and have on apply more resin once every about year and a half? i have a means of actually procuring that. this is an all-evil campaign where we are currently employed by people with that kind of means.

Keld Denar
2010-04-03, 12:54 PM
In the end, its up to your DM. Thats just how I interpret it. There are no exact rules on the "process" or whatever required to "reinforce" a weapon. The only exact rules in the book are how often they have to reinforce the cyst, or Kaorti hive on the Prime. I'd imagine you could probably barter or intimidate a Kaorti to perform whatever task is required to maintain it.

Also, like you said, it'll last a year and a half. Unless your group has LOTS of downtime, thats a ton of adventuring time to enjoy a weapon with a 4x crit multiplier. Just because its not "forever" doesn't mean its not "fornow".

Coidzor
2010-04-03, 01:24 PM
Well, the text says a truly permanent item can be made. It just doesn't specify what has to be done other than the creator putting some of his/her own substance into it. (IIRC, the normal inferrence from such a statement is an XP cost)

So it's not so much open to interpretation as to whether it's possible by raw/fluff, so much as a "whether I feel like supplying part of the RAW they left out but referenced." That, of course, is open to interpretation as to what the extra cost should be.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-03, 01:32 PM
Get 5/day item of quintessence; now the only time you have to worry about that year-and-a-half is for 20 or so rounds each day after you've lain the smack down on an enemy and destroyed some of the quintessence.

Otherwise, it's locked in stasis, after you've applied a dab of time stop on it.

That alone would extend things to about 1080 years, if you have 20 rounds of combat every single day and quint it up on the post-battle round.

Studoku
2010-04-03, 01:34 PM
Get 160,000 chickens. It's never a bad idea.

Coidzor
2010-04-03, 01:36 PM
Get 160,000 chickens. It's never a bad idea.

Best for Dread Necromancers who want to have a breeding army of living chickens for the dreaded chicken bomb assault squad.

gallagher
2010-04-03, 01:42 PM
Get 160,000 chickens. It's never a bad idea.not that that sounds like a bad idea, but i am more preferential to ducks. mainly cuz i love munchkin, so i always pick up the duck in the dungeon.

if i had chickens, i would tend to do the most evil thing i can think of, and punt them off of rooftops or something. i played many-a legend of zelda OoT, and stabbed many a cuckoo, only to be attacked by a swarm.

long story short, i would love to punt a chicken. how good of a punt would 18 STR give me?

gallagher
2010-04-06, 10:50 AM
for those who were wondering, the first session i got to use this guy in worked masterfully. sure, i am now at 3 HP, but i am covered in blood, got to start a fire in a jailcell, killed many people, had an excellent point of roleplaying once or twice, and did many-a-damage. many d6's were rolled and many 6's showed up.

also, i found out how much fun sundering is

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-06, 11:24 AM
long story short, i would love to punt a chicken. how good of a punt would 18 STR give me?I've been forced to kick a chicken before. It made a satisfying BAWK! noise and a good solid thud when your foot connects. Also, they do run around aimlessly after you kill them.

The thing kept flying up and was slashing at my eyes. It was either it or me. I was covered in blood by the time I killed it, and it was mostly mine.