PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Warlock

graeylin
2010-03-31, 09:31 PM
I get to play a Dragon in a game soon, a Dragon that will also be leveling up as a Warlock. I start out as a wyrmling, and as the game progresses, gain levels as a warlock, and age as a dragon. I have little other information about the game yet, just that.

I haven't formulated exactly what style warlock i will go with, but I suspect with the whole dragon thing going for me, i won't be swinging a sword in melee or anything. I have a high charisma (which i could swap out),

With that idea in mind, any ideas for feats? I have three initially to pick, and they can help advance my soon to be acquired warlock abilities (as long as i meet any pre-reqs). In general, 3.5 books, SRD feats, unless you can share the details of the feat here so i can pass them to the DM.

Mythestopheles
2010-03-31, 09:33 PM
This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2915.0) may help you. It's a nice resource for warlocks.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-03-31, 10:22 PM
I personally like the feat Mortalbane from the Book of Vile Darkness. IIRC it essentially gives you a 2d6 bonus to any of your damage dealing SLAs five times per day against living nonoutsiders, but halves the damage against outsiders and the nonliving (i.e. constructs and undead). Each time you chose it you get another five times per day. And since you'll probably be able to recognize constructs, undead and outsiders putting it on your EB seems like a nice way to gain 2d6 damage with no real drawbacks.

It's also the only reason that I wish the Arena allowed BoVD and probably one of the reasons they don't. After all, I know that I would definitely take a couple of flaws and go human to get Toughness and three Mortalbanes at first level.

Runestar
2010-04-01, 05:30 AM
I don't see any synergy between the two.

With so few lvs in warlock (relative to your ECL), your EB will stink, your invocations won't be all that stellar, and none of them really complement your dragon abilities that well (and vice versa).

For instance, hideous blow (HB) won't combo well with your multiple natural attacks (though I suppose you can flyby+bite+HB).

Is there any reason you must go warlock?

graeylin
2010-04-01, 08:00 AM
i am not forced into warlock (yet), just trying my hand at a different class on this unusual (for me) character.

Charlie Kemek
2010-04-01, 09:39 AM
how about this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2) class? it is basically a warlock with less invocations, and a cool breath weapon, that gets its power from dragons.

graeylin
2010-04-01, 07:26 PM
So, you think i can be a real dragon with class levels in Dragonfire adept? interesting idea. i will look into it.

Runestar
2010-04-01, 07:29 PM
Dragonfire adept suffers from the same problem - namely that your abilities are flat out useless by the time you get them.

Assuming your dragon is at least medium sized and expected to play a melee role, I would recommend a martial adept class such as the warblade or swordsage, to augment your existing dragon abilities. You can even squeeze in some ranged maneuvers for that "warlock" feel (get your DM to rule that racial HD improves IL).

Gaiwecoor
2010-04-01, 11:05 PM
Where the fun really comes in is when you get old enough as a dragon to have spellcasting abilities. Then you can just jump straight into Eldritch Theurge and advance both casting and invocations.

Of course, the ECL does make things difficult...

DragoonWraith
2010-04-01, 11:48 PM
Dragonfire adept suffers from the same problem - namely that your abilities are flat out useless by the time you get them.
That depends on the RHD/LA situation - it's unclear in the OP if they're actually using them. If everyone's a dragon, it doesn't really make sense to. If not, the DfA's quite solid as a class.

graeylin
2010-04-01, 11:59 PM
unfortunately, i am not sure what the DM has in mind at this time either. The info we get is... scattershot, at best.

Not everyone playing will be dragons. However, i don't know what levels they will start at, nor what bonuses they might be getting.

I am looking forward to advancing in age a bit, and getting my dragon powers, spellcasting, etc..

Draz74
2010-04-02, 12:02 AM
That depends on the RHD/LA situation - it's unclear in the OP if they're actually using them. If everyone's a dragon, it doesn't really make sense to. If not, the DfA's quite solid as a class.

DFA is a solid class in a normal game. In a game where all the players are playing Dragons (and thus have a lot of RHD and LA), DFA will still be a weak choice compared to classes that actually synergize with what the RHD are giving you. (Tome of Battle classes, for example, are amazing for dragons.)

Kylarra
2010-04-02, 12:40 AM
Yeah I'd definitely suggest picking up some martial adept levels. Martial Adept dragons are scary.

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-02, 12:42 AM
Pick up a soverign archetype (dragons of eberron). It'll help out a lot.

PinkysBrain
2010-04-02, 12:46 AM
I get to play a Dragon in a game soon, a Dragon that will also be leveling up as a Warlock. I start out as a wyrmling, and as the game progresses, gain levels as a warlock, and age as a dragon. I have little other information about the game yet, just that.
I'd suggest asking your DM to run the game as gestalt. Played as gestalt you can stop worrying about the fact that your RHD dilute your class levels.

Assuming your DM is doing something like that (or simply letting you swap RHD for class levels) the obvious choice is the Eldritch Glaive Warlock (a blast shape invocation from Dragon Magic which turns your blast into a melee weapon with iterative attacks, which combines nicely with your strong dragon form).