PDA

View Full Version : dragonborn of bahamut and natural attacks

Soranar
2010-04-01, 01:57 AM
A dragonborn retains physical traits, like powerful build

but do they keep natural attacks (say a Darfellan's bite?)

Runestar
2010-04-01, 07:30 AM
The closest thing I can find to a definitive ruling is a FAQ entry on dragonborn warforged, which mentions them losing amongst other things, their slam attacks.

Thus, I infer that said template will cause the base creature to lose any natural attacks they may have.

Iban
2010-04-01, 09:41 AM
As far as I'm aware when you become a dragonborn of bahamut you keep all ability modifiers, but loose ALL racial things.

So if you had darkvision before the change you would lose that.
This (I would assmue) also applies to natural attacks, mainly because they are racial and you have effectively become a different race.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-01, 11:05 AM
The closest thing I can find to a definitive ruling is a FAQ entry on dragonborn warforged, which mentions them losing amongst other things, their slam attacks.

Thus, I infer that said template will cause the base creature to lose any natural attacks they may have.

It actually makes no sense too. Keeping Nat Armor and Nat Weapons would make Dragonborn better at fighting the Dragonspawn, which is the point of the Dragonborn template (to make the chosen of Bahamut better at fighting Tiamat's minions).

Kyeudo
2010-04-01, 11:29 AM
It actually makes no sense too. Keeping Nat Armor and Nat Weapons would make Dragonborn better at fighting the Dragonspawn, which is the point of the Dragonborn template (to make the chosen of Bahamut better at fighting Tiamat's minions).

You expect sense in D&D? When you can heal by drowning and barbarians can skydive without a parachute?

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-01, 11:53 AM
You expect sense in D&D? When you can heal by drowning and barbarians can skydive without a parachute?

Everyone can skydive without a parachute. Hell, you can even get a built-in parachute if you need it that badly.

Iban
2010-04-01, 12:10 PM
Everyone can skydive without a parachute. Hell, you can even get a built-in parachute if you need it that badly.

True, everything CAN skydive without a parachute. Quite often only once though :smalltongue:

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-01, 01:28 PM
True, everything CAN skydive without a parachute. Quite often only once though :smalltongue:

Anyone above 8th level with a Con of 16 has a minimum of 44HP on average (assuming d4 HD). These people can drop about 100ft and survive with HP to spare (assuming average rolls). They can do this daily, more often if they can get cheap healing or if they can buff their HP. This means a Wizard with no Feather Fall can survive the average 100ft drop. Unbuffed.

A Psion can do this almost on command thanks to Vigor/Share Pain.

Anyone who spends a single feat gets Feather Fall at will. Anyone who spends 100gp gets psuedo Featherfall constantly (Dragonborn with Wings reduces damage taken to 1d6, regardless of distance).

Falling ceased being a threat to the noncasters at 5th level. At best, it will be a once-only HP sink.

Iban
2010-04-01, 03:56 PM
I was kinda thinking of IRL but whatever lol

Yer, a lot of things can fall for ages and not die (I have a dragonborn character, so I *should* know about that rule lol).

One thing to consider though, how high is a skydive? When you think about it 100ft isn't all that high (about 10 stories on a building). Personally I would consider something like 750ft+ to be a skydive. I haven't done ther calculations myself, but I assume most things would die at that height (assuming they aren't dragonborn, have feather fall etc...)