PDA

View Full Version : bloopers - funny/deadly/embarassing

jpreem
2010-04-01, 08:12 AM
Hoping to collect some funny mishaps stories from different game sessions.
Got the idea from a recent OotS comic - Elans failed gather information check.

In a recent game I DM -ed. A bunch of goblins had taken over an (now) abandoned roadside tavern. Party-s monk decided to crawl in through the pantry window. While other members stomred the door on the other side.
Monk got stuck in the window for 3 rounds. While the other players slaughtered the goblins.
After the battle was over the monk asked if we could go on a round by round game to see if the other party members discover him stuck in the pantry window or can he free himself before.

What other bloopers ( probably skill check based) do you remember and how deadly/funny/embarassing they were?
Id rate this one as rater funny and probably would have been embaraswsing to the character if he wouldnt have freed himself before teh pantry door was opened. Not so deadly at least :D

Rensvind
2010-04-01, 08:36 AM
The lvl 5 Druid/MoMF 1/Warshaper 3 player in my group was challenged to a duel by one of the daughters of the local chieftain, to see if he was worthy of becoming her husband... She demanded that he would use no ugly tricks or witchcraft, so he wasn't allowed to use wild shape... She was a lvl 3 Ranger, and totally kicked his ass...

At least I laughted :smallbiggrin:

Choco
2010-04-01, 08:51 AM
There was that time I teleported right up in the face of a Great Wyrm Red Dragon with my lvl 17 sorcerer to do some Maximized Shivering Touch cheese. I had Assay Resistance cast, which meant I instantly passed my rolls to both cast the spell defensively and to overcome SR, and would hit with the spell on anything but a 1. Of course I rolled a 1 on the melee touch attack, without any backup plan on how I am gonna get out of there should that fail (I didn't think I would need it). The dragon was not pleased.

That was a spectacular death at least.

Mauther
2010-04-01, 02:33 PM
Using the old FASA Mechwarrior roleplaying rules. After a generic bar fight, a group of mechwarriors wakeup in some generic holding cells in some little backwater jail. With their vast array of skills, they lift the security protocols and keycards from their guards and escape their cells to find they are on the second floor. Trying to figure out how to get past the three cops coming up the stairs 3 of the PCs decide to bumrush the guards, 2 go for the roof looking for an alternate route and 1 dives head first into the laundry chute. The bumrush works as the three Barney Fife local cops are no match for trained military, the two on the roof find some drainage and building decorations that allow them to climb down in relative ease. The poor sod who takes the chute fails his athletics check to arrest his fall, and falls out of control into a waiting washing machine. The mechwarrior rules assign hit points and damage to each body location, with the torso being the toughest and the head the weakest. Chute-diver lands on his head. The dm decides that there’s foot of water in the laundry machine, so the player gets a bonus on his BODY save and takes only half falling damage. Despite the bonus, Chute-Diver fails his body save (because he had twinked his character for high AGILITY since who needs hit points when you ride a giant fighting robot???) to resist the falling damage, and the half damage is still enough to render him unconscious (again because of his low BODY). Which is how an elite 31st Century, Sanglamore Academy graduate, decorated veteran of the 17th Skye Rangers, master of 70 tons worth of mechanized death and destruction – drowned in a foot of water.

senrath
2010-04-01, 03:09 PM
Yesterday I ended up setting the ally I was trying to save on fire. I did more damage than the monsters did. This was in 4e, by the way. We were standing in something flammable, and I kinda used Greenflame Blade.

TheCountAlucard
2010-04-01, 10:48 PM
One of the more "deadly" ones...

The party was clearing a mine of its kobold inhabitants (who happened to be led by a Juvenile Red Dragon). The kobolds, being kobolds, had of course laid a lot of traps, one of which included a poison-filled balloon made to look like an ogre. The party actually saw through this one and realized that it was a trap, but the Gnome Rogue ripped it open anyway, and thus ate a bunch of STR damage.

When the party finally gets to the dragon, they decide to have their melee-capable characters jump onto the island of rock in the middle of the lake of boiling lava to engage the dragon, rather than have it fly up and deal with them. Fighter jumps, succeeds. Halfling Rogue jumps, succeeds. Gnome Rogue jumps... and fails by such a narrow margin that had he not taken the STR damage earlier, he'd've made it. :smallsigh:

Malacode
2010-04-02, 01:06 AM
This one happened recently; at my last-but-one session. We (Pala-monk, Favoured Soul, Scout, Sorcerer and Duskblade) were fighting this hideous octopus-like beast in a swamp. It grappled the Duskblade, our main damage dealer. I immediately asked it it would be possible to cut him free with my hand scythe (1d8, 20/x4) on my turn, and the DM ruled that I could do just that. So, I move up and attack. Natural 20! Confirm with another natural 20! Roll max damage! Roll percentile dice to see who I hit... The Duskblade. Daaaaaaaamn. 32 damage in melee from a level 5 sorcerer and it had to hit the Duskblade, taking him from full hitpoints to a mere 20-something. Whoops.

The Rabbler
2010-04-02, 01:11 AM
This one happened recently; at my last-but-one session. We (Pala-monk, Favoured Soul, Scout, Sorcerer and Duskblade) were fighting this hideous octopus-like beast in a swamp. It grappled the Duskblade, our main damage dealer.

just a comment: that reminds me of a certain monster in a certain swamp which attacks a hobbit with a certain ring.

Cisturn
2010-04-02, 01:32 AM
so our level druid had befriended a dire wolf, but it still wouldn't listen to her orders in combat, so she decided to fight it in a one on one battle to prove who was the alpha. She had about 10 buffs on her from the Bard and Cleric when she entered the battle, three one's and a failed concentration check level (to cast) druid hit negatives and the Cleric scares the wolf away into the forest.

Serpentine
2010-04-02, 01:57 AM
This is a DM and Player-fail (both me).
So, we were on a ship, 'twere becalmed, and multiple Drowned climb aboard to wreak some destruction (originally 3, reduced to 2 - see below).
One reaches the deck and starts killing about, while the 2nd is still climbing. As it turns out, the Drowneds' drowning aura takes up almost the entirety of the ship, except the very far end and high on the masts. DM fail: I didn't check just how big the drowning aura was, and what was meant to be a pretty easy encounter got much harder. The 3rd Drowned... uh... fell in the water or something before anyone noticed it.
So, there's a bit of fighting, then it's my DMPC's turn... and I realise she doesn't have a ranged weapon. Player fail: Who forgets to give their character a ranged weapon? So, she holds her breath, barges in... then a round or two later fails her save (with 18 Con and a high Fort!), and drowns. Good one.

In my first game, there was one player that was just one great big blooper. I mean, his (extremely long) backstory included him taking out a chain devil single-handedly at very low levels with nothing but a flare spell and a mundane crossbow. But the ultimate was this exchange:
Red Dragon: IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE.
Supposedly 18-Int Wizard: Well, I don't know about that, but...
At that point, iirc, the Rogue sapped him. And then got a natural 20 on a Bluff check to convince said dragon that an even bigger gold dragon was on its way.

Fayd
2010-04-02, 09:54 AM
I accidentally nearly summoned an elemental with a damaging aura next to a party member 1 hp from death. That said, we caught it in time and I merely summoned it above my head, dealing the damage only to myself. 21 INT, 9 WIS.

Everyman
2010-04-02, 10:03 AM
I nearly wiped out the 7th level PCs in my campaign with one (1) badger. Not a druid's animal companion, not a celestial summon...just a good ol' badger.

Come to think of it, badgers tend to be source of many comedic deaths or near-deaths in my group.

Hmmm...

EDIT: And in case you're wondering how...well, it is EXCEEDINGLY important that you don't critically fail throwing tanglefoot bags. Especially multiple rounds in a row.