PDA

View Full Version : So, I Have It On Good Authority You Like Mudkipz: Pokemon Thread 3

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Deth Muncher
2010-04-01, 11:23 AM
Oh noes! Pokeymans! This is the Pokemon Thread Mk. II (Mk. III, actually, but the second one I've started. Someone else can do it next time. :D). PM me your Friend Codes along with which game they correspond to so that there can be a collective Pokemon in the Playground Trade/Battle list. Also, if you give me the starters you've got (plus the Kanto Starters you get for beating Red in HG/SS) with your friend code, I'll put 'em here too so we can requisition them from you in game. (I'm going to change this into a table in a day or two when I have time/figure out how.)

FRIEND CODES/STARTERS:

Legoshrimp: SoulSilver 1849 3954 2553; Diamond 2923 1445 3340. Starters unknown.
Freako: SoulSilver 2966 0800 3851; Platinum 1333 4517 6347. Starters unknown.
Jimp: SoulSilver 2407 7659 7056 Starter unknown.
tgva8889: Friend Codes Pending. Starters: Mudkip, Treecko, Torchic, Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Cyndaquil.
Mattarias, King.: HeartGold 3524 4231 3529. Starter: Cyndaquil.

The Last Thread: Oh Noes! Pokeymans! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141803)

Helpful Links/Hints For Adventuring Ten Year Olds

Bulbapedia (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/)
Smogon (http://www.smogon.com/)
Metalkid's Damage Calculator (http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculatorrs/Damage.aspx)
Metalkid's IV Calculator (http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx)
Serebii (http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml)

Things the Pokemon developers didn't tell you about but really should have!

I figured I'd just go ahead and type this out so confused people can just read it instead of having to ask in the thread. I'm helpful like that. Oh yes.

Don't feel the need to bother with this stuff unless you're playing against humans or at the Battle Frontier. You shouldn't need it for most of the game, and it can be kind of a pain.

Individual Values
Every Pokemon species has its own base stats, as you probably know. Aerodactyl are very fast but have weak defences, Blissey have huge amounts of HP, Luvdisc are terrible at everything but speed, and so on. But, in addition to the normal stat allocation, every Pokemon gets a bonus of 0-31 points applied to each stat. So a level 100 Tyranitar could have an attack stat of 273, or it could have a attack of 304. That bonus is the IV.
A Pokemon has its IVs generated the moment you meet it, or accept its egg, and there's no way to change them. You're stuck with what you've got. However, you can influence them a little, if you're willing to breed. Bred Pokemon don't randomly generate all their IVs, they inherit up to 3 from their parents. Still doesn't help that much, especially if the parents have bad IVs, but what can you do? Typically you just end up hatching like a billion eggs until you get a good one.

Effort Values
Every time you win a fight, your Pokemon get experience, but that's not all they get. Every Pokemon also gives out effort points. For every 4 effort points in a particular stat, your Pokemon gains 1 point in it. So if that Tyranitar from earlier with 304 attack had 4 attack EVs, his actual attack would be 305. If he had 252 attack EVs, it'd be 367. Sounds handy, but there are limits. You can't have more than 255 points in a single stat, and you can't have more than 510 EVs in total.
You'll see a lot of Pokemon with 252 attack/special attack EVs, 252 speed, and 4 HP, but there are a lot of ways to configure them. Defensive Pokemon will obviously focus on different things, Pokemon which use both physical and special attacks will need to split EVs between them or possibly sacrifice speed, and so on.
It's a tremendous pain to work out what EVs your Pokemon has, so you'll likely want to start with a Pokemon that you freshly hatched and work from there, though you don't have to. There are 6 berries that reduce EVs in a single stat each, so you can use those to reset your Pokemon and start from scratch. After that, just keep a careful record of what you fight, and only take down Pokemon that you know give you the EVs you want.
EV training takes a while, but there are a few ways you can speed it up. The first is an astonishingly rare status condition called Pokerus. Any Pokemon with Pokerus gets double EVs from fights, and will spread the Pokerus to any Pokemon in your party for the first 72 hours after it catches it. After those 72 hours it stops being contagious, but still gets double EVs. Pokerus has something like 1/20000 chance to appear on wild Pokemon, but with the magic of the internet I'm sure you can obtain it.
The second way to speed up EV training is through Power Items. If a Pokemon is holding the right item, they get bonus EVs from every fight. For example, a Pokemon holding a Power Lens will get 4 special attack EVs. A Pokemon holding a Power Anklet will get 4 speed EVs. A Pokemon holding a Macho Brace will just get double the EVs of whatever they're fighting. These bonuses are doubled if you have pokerus.
The third way to speed up EVs is through vitamins. Each vitamin given to a Pokemon gives them +10 EVs in a certain stat, up to a limit of 100. 1 protein gives 10 attack EVs, 10 give 100. These unfortunately aren't doubled by pokerus or items, so you'll have to pay for the full amount. Luckily money is easy to come by in these games.

Just as an example, I'll show how I EV'd my Gengar.
First, I gave him 10 calcium, and 10 carbos, so 100 special attack and 100 speed already.
After that, I gave him pokerus and a lucky egg, got him to meet a Floatzel (2 speed EVs, doubled to 4 because of Pokerus), and then sent out my Weezing to explode on it so Gengar could get all the experience, for a higher level and 100 special attack, 104 speed.
After that, I gave him a Power Lens, flew over to the Old Chateau, and killed 15 Gastly (1 special attack from Gastly, 4 from the lens, doubled to 10 from pokerus) for 150 special attack EVs, bringing my total to 250 special attack, 104 speed.
After that I equipped a power anklet and killed one more Gastly (1 special attack from Gastly, 4 speed from the anklet, doubled to 2 and 8 from Pokerus), meaning Gengar had 252 attack, and 112 speed.
Leaving the anklet equipped, I flew to Route 201, and killed 14 Starly (1 speed from Starly, 4 from the anklet, meaning 10 speed per starly thanks to Pokerus), for a total of 252 attack, 252 speed.
All that was left after that was to kill a Bidoof with a Power Weight (1 HP from Bidoof, 4 from the Weight, 10 thanks to Pokerus, although I only gained 6 points because I hit the EV cap), leaving my Gengar with 252 special attack EVs, 252 Speed, and 4 HP, just how I wanted him.
Roughly an hour's work, and one Pokemon down.

tl;dr: The simplified version of EVs/IVs - EVs are gained by fighting other pokemon. They vary by the pokemon defeated. They increase your stats for every 4 gained. IVs are inherent to a pokemon. They increase stats for every point possessed, and range from 0 to 31. EVs have to be manually tracked or else removed entirely with certain berries. IVs can be checked by knowing the EVs of a pokemon and then plugging its stats into an IV calculator. The higher the pokemon's level, the more accurate; level 100 wifi battles provide maximum accuracy.

Legoshrimp
2010-04-01, 11:32 AM
*Sneaks in and takes first reply*

So any ideas on what i should have as my final moves for my spiritomb?

Deth Muncher
2010-04-01, 11:39 AM
*Sneaks in and takes first reply*

So any ideas on what i should have as my final moves for my spiritomb?
Splash. Also Tail Whip.http://i40.tinypic.com/2cx6s1t.jpg

The Dark Fiddler
2010-04-01, 11:40 AM
Psst. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147522

Well I posted it before the new thread so :smalltongue:

And in case anybody missed it, since it's on the last page of the old thread:

If anybody cares, Koolboyman announced (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lZJS6ZoC1U) the full version of his hack Pokemon Prism. Not quite sure if it's a prank yet, but might as well mention it.

Legoshrimp
2010-04-01, 11:49 AM
Splash. Also Tail Whip.http://i40.tinypic.com/2cx6s1t.jpg

Great idea! too bad spiritomb can't learn either of them :'(

The Dark Fiddler
2010-04-01, 11:54 AM
Great idea! too bad spiritomb can't learn either of them :'(

Gameshark. I'm sure nobody will complain if that's all you do. :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2010-04-01, 11:58 AM
Also, re: Yellow Forest - FFFFUUUUUU! My university's Wifi doesn't work with the DSi. How long is YF available?

Dihan
2010-04-01, 12:08 PM
Yellow Forest is available until 5th of May. I am currently sitting here tapping my foot to get enough steps for Pikachus.

Malek
2010-04-01, 12:09 PM
Until May 5th. (agh... day of the ninjas)

Also: I think I've grasped the theory of chaining... now only if game started to cooperate and stopped throwing me bidoof patches that look just like my shinx patches http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8677/emotarghy.gif

Hunter Noventa
2010-04-01, 01:01 PM
I picked up SoulSilver yesterday...and then proceeded to spend most of the day EV training a Gallade on my copy of diamond, i don't know why. Probably because outside of my starter, I really have no idea what sort of mons I want to use on my SoulSilver team.

Are there any restrictions on what you can trade to SoulSilver? I have some mons from my copy of Sapphire sitting in my Diamond I'd love to use, but I don't know if it'll let me, aside from the obedience limitation of course. Cause right now the only things I have worth using aside from my Totodile are an Ekans and a Gastly...well I have a Hoothoot too, but he's kidna meh for another 6 levels of tackling.

Comet
2010-04-01, 01:05 PM
*looks at title*
So... This thread is about Pikmin, then?
:smalltongue:

Malek
2010-04-01, 01:11 PM
I picked up SoulSilver yesterday...and then proceeded to spend most of the day EV training a Gallade on my copy of diamond, i don't know why. Probably because outside of my starter, I really have no idea what sort of mons I want to use on my SoulSilver team.

Are there any restrictions on what you can trade to SoulSilver? I have some mons from my copy of Sapphire sitting in my Diamond I'd love to use, but I don't know if it'll let me, aside from the obedience limitation of course. Cause right now the only things I have worth using aside from my Totodile are an Ekans and a Gastly...well I have a Hoothoot too, but he's kidna meh for another 6 levels of tackling.

Spearow is workable early on, and I've heard people praise Mareep - both of which can be found before you tackle first gym. Also catching Sentret and evolving it into Furret will give you a decent HM slave. No idea on trade limitations or lack of thereof.

chiasaur11
2010-04-01, 01:21 PM
Thread 2?

Dashed odd way to spell "3" really. Well, you're in charge of the thread, I suppose.

Foeofthelance
2010-04-01, 01:26 PM

The only trade limitation I know of in the Gen IV games is the one concerning the Spikey Eared Pichu. She's not allowed to be traded and can't evolve. Otherwise, trading between HGSS and DPP is perfectly legitimate and even encouraged, I suppose, since you can use Arceus to trigger an event that lets you catch a level 1 God Dragon, while trading in Pikachu Colored Pichu activates the Spike Eared event, and finally trading in Jirachi activates the Edge of Night's Sky path on the pokewalker. My group has been throwing around Uber eggs as game starters for a while now, and have yet to run into a problem, other than the level/badge thing.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-01, 01:30 PM
Thread 2?

Dashed odd way to spell "3" really. Well, you're in charge of the thread, I suppose.

Is it Thread Three? I never saw the first thread.

*looks at title*
So... This thread is about Pikmin, then?
:smalltongue:

Does that mean the game has Pikmin Trainers? :P

The Dark Fiddler
2010-04-01, 01:32 PM
Is it Thread Three? I never saw the first thread.

There were two threads before the previous, so this one is ACTUALLY thread 4. Although the second one died so you might not count it.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-01, 01:36 PM
There were two threads before the previous, so this one is ACTUALLY thread 4. Although the second one died so you might not count it.

I could always just add "Deth Muncher's" before the number, but then the title will be ridicu-long.

Foeofthelance
2010-04-01, 01:52 PM
Has anyone confirmed the Yellow Forest Route is out today?

Deth Muncher
2010-04-01, 02:03 PM
Has anyone confirmed the Yellow Forest Route is out today?

Serebii says yes.

Legoshrimp
2010-04-01, 02:07 PM
I have it :) and am now walking around in it

The Dark Fiddler
So, I've finished Prism.

Yes, finished. Because the finished version is indeed a prank. Oh well. It looks pretty good so far, though. A Gold version hack that keeps track of the date and has a Shinx. :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
Serebii says yes.

Mah Pokéwalker says yes. As do the two Pikachu waiting for me to throw them into my DS.

Hunter Noventa
2010-04-01, 02:41 PM
Spearow is workable early on, and I've heard people praise Mareep - both of which can be found before you tackle first gym. Also catching Sentret and evolving it into Furret will give you a decent HM slave. No idea on trade limitations or lack of thereof.

I did catch a sentret, didn't look at what HM's it could learn, good to know. And i'll be trading some awesome into my SS game them. Like a Beldum, because Metagross is awesome.

Octopus Jack
2010-04-01, 03:29 PM
yay got Soul Silver bringing back old memories. Now I'm about to take the ice gym all my mons are about level 27
I'm standing infront of the leader right now i have
Krabby 27
Quilava 27
Flaffy 28
Gravaller 26
Pigeotto 26
Togatic 27

now how well do you think I'll do?

tgva8889
2010-04-01, 03:56 PM
Pokewalker is so charming. I love it. So much.

You haven't lived until the Pokewalker plays the Item Get fanfare.

Mando Knight
2010-04-01, 04:14 PM
yay got Soul Silver bringing back old memories. Now I'm about to take the ice gym all my mons are about level 27
I'm standing infront of the leader right now i have
Krabby 27
Quilava 27
Flaffy 28
Gravaller 26
Pigeotto 26
Togatic 27

now how well do you think I'll do?

You've got a Flaaffy, a Quilava, and a Graveller. You'll be able to do damage. You probably won't trounce him, but you can quite conceivably defeat him.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-04-01, 04:15 PM
*Hyperventilates* I just caught a random encounter shiny Meditite on Route 211 while training my Prinplup. (I actually got him in a trade; he's Japanese and apparently nicknamed Oda.)

That makes six shinies on my platinum file: Meditite, Heracross, Salamence, Ninetales, Electivire, and my pride and joy, a shiny female Lucario. (That I got from Riley's egg ON THE SECOND TRY.)

No chaining. For some reason, I can't chain.

My Platinum file loves me. :smallbiggrin:

Eon
2010-04-01, 04:27 PM
Yellow Forest is available until 5th of May. I am currently sitting here tapping my foot to get enough steps for Pikachus.

:smalleek: How do I get Yellow Forest? I want pika-machus.

Legoshrimp
2010-04-01, 04:36 PM
I hate you all, and your shinies too :p

Freako
2010-04-01, 04:45 PM
Going into Gyms underleveled is so much fun. My team, with an average level of 33 or so, was able to beat Clair's Gym on the first try. Mind you, her Kingdra took out 4 of my Pokemon before I could bring it down, but that just made it all the more exciting. Next stop, Whirl Islands!

Also, I find it annoying that I have to sit directly next to my router whenever I want to connect to Nintendo WFC. There must be something wrong with my DSi, as my old DS can connect from several rooms away. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also also: I love Scizor. Bullet Punch + Technician + STAB = win :smallcool:

Mando Knight
2010-04-01, 04:49 PM
:smalleek: How do I get Yellow Forest? I want pika-machus.

Mystery Gift, Connect to Nintendo WFC, then retrieve the gift from the green delivery guy.

Also, does anyone have an event Pika-colored Pichu that I can borrow? I'd like to grab Spiky-chu before I leave the area of a DS-compatible Wi-Fi hotspot.

Freako
2010-04-01, 05:05 PM
^ You can borrow mine, Mando. It has Pokerus, too, in case you need it. Of course, that all depends on whether my DSi wants to cooperate with Wi-Fi or not...

Malek
2010-04-01, 05:35 PM
Rage. I fell rage :smallfurious: I finally got a shinx chain to 40 and even got a shiny patch - I didn't get it because by accident I clicked fury swipes instead of false swipe on my sneasel. But hey - chains unbroken, I can reset until I find another one right? Right? Wrong. After a dozen or so resets my finger slipped on down button when doing another one and of course it had to be in the very moment I was over one of patches activated by previous reset and that patch had to contain a freaking Bidoof.

So. Much. Hatred.

Kris Strife
2010-04-01, 05:51 PM
The only trade limitation I know of in the Gen IV games is the one concerning the Spikey Eared Pichu. She's not allowed to be traded and can't evolve. Otherwise, trading between HGSS and DPP is perfectly legitimate and even encouraged, I suppose, since you can use Arceus to trigger an event that lets you catch a level 1 God Dragon, while trading in Pikachu Colored Pichu activates the Spike Eared event, and finally trading in Jirachi activates the Edge of Night's Sky path on the pokewalker. My group has been throwing around Uber eggs as game starters for a while now, and have yet to run into a problem, other than the level/badge thing.

How do you get the Spike Eared event and the level 1 God Dragon?

Edit: Yeah, apparently I press the pokewalker's buttons randomly as a walk at work. I've looked at it on break and found three items and caught two pokemon with out even knowing. >.>

Legoshrimp
2010-04-01, 05:52 PM
What are chains?

chiasaur11
2010-04-01, 05:54 PM
What are chains?

Pokeradar strings of the same pokemon.

Malek
2010-04-01, 05:54 PM
For Spike Eared you need to have Pikachu Colored Pichu from Platinum Event in party and go to Ilexi forest shrine with it. For God Dragon you need Arceus and go with him to Ruins of Alph to the hut where researchers are.

Mando Knight
2010-04-01, 05:55 PM

Bring an event Shiny Pichu to Ilex Forest for a Spiky Eared Pichu, and bring an event Arceus to the Shinjoh Ruins for your choice of god-dragon.

What are chains?
Using DPPt's PokéRadar to get a "chain" of Pokémon. Lets you catch shinies a good deal more easily.

And double-ninja!

Legoshrimp
2010-04-01, 05:59 PM
Okay thanks :) So the longer the chain the more likely to get a shiny? And is there anything special I would need to know to do this?

Freako
2010-04-01, 06:09 PM
^ Yes to your first question. As for the second, you'll have better chances of finding the same Pokemon again if you only enter patches that shake as fast as the first one you entered. Patches farther away from where you're standing are also more likely to be hiding the same Pokemon.

EDIT: Oh yes, and make sure you apply Repel before attempting to chain, as any wild Pokemon encountered normally will disrupt the chain.

EDIT EDIT: Hey Mando, did you see my reply? I'm willing to loan you a Pokerus-infected Pikachu-colored Pichu, as long as my DSi and Wi-Fi manage to get along.

Malek
2010-04-01, 06:12 PM
Okay thanks :) So the longer the chain the more likely to get a shiny? And is there anything special I would need to know to do this?
Yup, the longer the better - it caps out at 40 which gives you roughly 1 in 200 chance of "shiny" patch (shiny patch is a visually different patch that ALWAYS gives a shiny, and most likely of the kind you chained).

As for knowledge - there are some guides detailing how it's done on the net, but they can be tricky to comprehend at first. I could try to write a miniguide "from newbie to newbie" point of view tommorow if people woul like it - other wise just google pokemon radar or pokemon chaining and read away (just stay away from smogon guide. Seriously. It'll only confuse you most likely)

Mando Knight
2010-04-01, 06:23 PM
I'd also like an event Arceus to grab a baby god-dragon, come to think of it...
EDIT EDIT: Hey Mando, did you see my reply? I'm willing to loan you a Pokerus-infected Pikachu-colored Pichu, as long as my DSi and Wi-Fi manage to get along.
Saw that. Tomorrow good? Around 2-4 PM CDT?

Legoshrimp
2010-04-01, 06:31 PM
Thanks, i'm not sure if I will really try it right now. I am more working on SS. Okay so I want to get a really good Eevee for Volpeon how should i go about it with breeding? Any help will be appreciated :)

CoffeeIncluded
2010-04-01, 06:33 PM
Yup, the longer the better - it caps out at 40 which gives you roughly 1 in 200 chance of "shiny" patch (shiny patch is a visually different patch that ALWAYS gives a shiny, and most likely of the kind you chained).

As for knowledge - there are some guides detailing how it's done on the net, but they can be tricky to comprehend at first. I could try to write a miniguide "from newbie to newbie" point of view tommorow if people woul like it - other wise just google pokemon radar or pokemon chaining and read away (just stay away from smogon guide. Seriously. It'll only confuse you most likely)

I'd like that, thanks. :smallsmile: I can't chain; my longest tops out at 20...:smallfrown:

Freako
2010-04-01, 06:34 PM
Saw that. Tomorrow good? Around 2-4 PM CDT?
Sure, works for me. I'll be on around 3 PM CDT, hopefully (that is 4 PM EDT, isn't it? Just making sure).

EDIT: YES! Haha! Entei is mine! After only half an hour of dedicated effort, no less. Now it's Raikou's turn.

EDIT 2: Aaaand... I caught Raikou on my very first Fast Ball. Wow. And I used to think catching these guys was a pain.

Foeofthelance
2010-04-01, 08:35 PM

Edit: Yeah, apparently I press the pokewalker's buttons randomly as a walk at work. I've looked at it on break and found three items and caught two pokemon with out even knowing. >.>

Spiky Ear Pichu requires you to bring the Pikachu Colored Pichu to the shrine at Ilex forest, and to have a spot for her. According to Elm she's carrying latent time traveling energy which would screw with the trade machines, so you can't trade her.

Baby God Dragon requires you to bring an Arceus to a shrine. Where I'm not entirely sure, but it is probably Alph related if memory serves. I don't know how you get to pick, or if it is random.

Mando Knight
2010-04-01, 08:44 PM
Thanks, i'm not sure if I will really try it right now. I am more working on SS. Okay so I want to get a really good Eevee for Volpeon how should i go about it with breeding? Any help will be appreciated :)

Volpeon? You mean Vaporeon, right? My strategy is to just spam breeding until I hatch one I like.

TheLogman
2010-04-01, 08:46 PM
You bring him to the ruins of Alph, yes, and you do get to pick.

I'm currently building up my team, I've got a handful of guys I'm working on.

Also I have a soft spot for Flygon and I hate HATE Garchomp.

Foeofthelance
2010-04-01, 08:46 PM
You know, its bad. I just got Yellow Forest for the pokewalker, and now I'm considering restarting and just hunting pokemon with the walker until I have a team and using that to beat the game. Maybe once I clear the Elite Four and Red for the first time...

Pokemon: Getting more replays than the NFL for more than 15 years.

AlterForm
2010-04-01, 08:50 PM
You know, its bad. I just got Yellow Forest for the pokewalker, and now I'm considering restarting and just hunting pokemon with the walker until I have a team and using that to beat the game. Maybe once I clear the Elite Four and Red for the first time...

This sounds epic. I'm gonna file this idea away in case I ever pick up HG.

Foeofthelance
2010-04-01, 08:57 PM
Bugsy: "Scyther! Use your Fury Cutter and finish him!"

SS: "Now, Pikachu! Unleash your secret weapon and FLY!"

Pikachu: "Pika pi!" *Pikachu took off!*

Bugsy: "Wait, what? You can't do that!

SS: "Now let's end this! Pikachu, FLYING VOLT TACKLE!"

*Critical hit! It is super effective! Scyther is knocked out!*

Bugsy: "Oh come on! That move isn't even in the damn game! Stop cheating!"

Wonder what happens if you breed a flying pikachu with a surfing one?

tgva8889
2010-04-01, 09:00 PM
Wonder what happens if you breed a flying pikachu with a surfing one?

You get a plain old Pichu. With no special (non-Egg) moves.

Unfortunately, Surf and Fly are not breedable.

Mando Knight
2010-04-01, 09:00 PM
Wonder what happens if you breed a flying pikachu with a surfing one?They rent a seaplane for the honeymoon and the Pichu might know Volt Tackle.

Freako
2010-04-01, 09:19 PM

I lol'd. :smallbiggrin:

AlterForm
2010-04-01, 09:21 PM

Good job! Now aim for the horn! :smallbiggrin:

Legoshrimp
2010-04-01, 09:28 PM
No actually I meant Jolteon :p

Mando Knight
2010-04-01, 09:32 PM
No actually I meant Jolteon :p

Spam-breed until you've got one with a +Spd or +SpAtk nature. Modest or Timid are good.

Legoshrimp
2010-04-01, 09:41 PM
Okay thanks. Hopefully my Ditto is timid :P

Foeofthelance
2010-04-01, 11:05 PM
Where's a good place to train a Lapras and a Larvitar from levels 20-30 in Soul Silver?

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-02, 02:10 AM
Best place so far for outright experience gain seems to be Route 48, though you'll want to beware of Pursuit from Fearow and Tauros when baiting and switching.

Octopus Jack
2010-04-02, 03:45 AM
Gaaaah! I hate dewgongs with rest and sleep talk!! Grrr! That's it I'm trading over my lvl100 rayquaza from diamond, i don't care if it dosn't obay me!

Kris Strife
2010-04-02, 06:20 AM
Gaaaah! I hate dewgongs with rest and sleep talk!! Grrr! That's it I'm trading over my lvl100 rayquaza from diamond, i don't care if it dosn't obay me!

Just remember, Rayquaza takes quadruple damage from ice attacks.

Malek
2010-04-02, 06:36 AM
Ahahaha... My Fire Red just came and it's the real deal :smallbiggrin:

I'd like that, thanks. :smallsmile: I can't chain; my longest tops out at 20...:smallfrown:

Let me start of by saying that longest chain of 20 isn't that bad. Before I got that 40-chain yesterday my highest one was 16, and I've still need to get another 40 one (Bidoooof! http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/Malek_Deneith/emot-argh.gif). In other words: patience grasshopper :smalltongue: And now let's see if I can write something remotely helpful.

Definitions:

Patch - A single tile of grass. :smalltongue:

Activated patch - patch that that rustles when you trigger pokeradar. Patch will remain active until you either enter it (thus triggering encounter and either breaking the chain or continuing it and triggering another radar activation), activate the radar again and thus making new active patches (see reset below) or until it leaves your field of view. Note that while radar tries to activate four patches always, it might pick patches that

Regular patch - activated patch that shook but did not flash. Supposedly holds more common pokemon.

Flashing patch - activated patch that shook and had color flashes. Rumor has it that these have higher chance of having rare pokemon species in them.

Shiny patch - activated patch that has 100% chance of having a shiny pokemon (and most likely of the species you were hunting for). It will sparkle in characteristic way but not shake (Probably most visible video of it on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BYyOATiUew) - watch on the bottom of the screen). Do note that shiny pokemon can appear without shiny patch during the chain with normal 1 in 8000+ chance during the chain.

Reset - a process in which you use radar again deactivating old patches and activating four new ones without breaking the chain. To perform it properly you need to recharge battery without walking into patches activated in previous use (walking just between two safe tiles is reccomended) but keeping at least one of them in sight (each tile that leaves your sight deactivates and if all deactivate the chain is broken). Then you have to use the radar, preferably while you are surrounded by grass from all sides. If everything is done correctly new patches will shake and you can either continue the chain or reset again.

Chain - a "string" of pokemon of the same type. As chain progresses chance of finding a shiny patch increases, capping out at 1 in around 200 when you reach 40-pokemon chain

Bidoof - an unholy abomination that reproduces by eating your rare encounters and breaking your chains. The only known way of slowing their spread is with fire moves, preferably from high level fire type pokemon. Perform your civic duty - incinerate a Bidoof today!

Chaining:

1) First of do your preparations - most important one is to bring lots, and lots of repels. That one 40-mon chain I got took me 10 max repels I had from the past and around 30-40 super repels and it went fairly smoothly. Seeing as you can have several failed chains at start and once you hit 40 you'll probably want to try and extend shiny-gain as long as you can bringing 200 super repels is by no means overkill (super repels, because max ones are - as someone correctly pointed out to me - are a huge rip-off). Aside from that bring your regular hunting setup - false swipers, sleep inducers, pokemon that prevent roar or fleeing if what you are hunting can does those. Things like having (fainted) pokemon with static/magnet pull for electric/steel types or bringing pokemon with synchronize are said to work also. And of course bring at least one strong pokemon with good amount of PP to knock the non-shiny pokemon on your route to 40-chain.

Obviously you'll also need a pokeradar (which you get from Rowan along with National Dex) and Pokeradar Checker (a poketch app that Oak gives you on your first visit to Pal Park - not exactly mandatory but without it you'll have to keep track of the chain number by hand)

2) Go to where your pokemon of choice appears and look for the biggest unobstructed grass patch you can find. Stand somwhere in the middle, spray repel, check if you have everything up and ready then save (in cease you waste so many repels you'll want to restart from scratch). Make sure you got radar registered to Y button (both for ease of use and to avoid breaking the chain by getting on the bike).

Chaining rule #1: Never forget to have repel on. Any regular battle will break your chain so as soon as current repel wears off you shouldn't as much as change direction before you apply it anew.

3) Activate the radar. Four patches of grass should shake. If you see less than that it means one of two things - either you stood too close to the edge of the field and some of activated fields were not grass and thus were wasted, or one of the activated patches is directly above you and you didn't saw it because your characted obscured the vision.

Chaining rule #2: Unless you saw all four patches shake do NOT go directly up after using radar. Doing so you'd risk running into a patch and breaking the chain.

4) Now that patches shook you have to pick one to use - as noted in definitions patches can shake or shake and flash. Some guides claim there are various strengths of shaking and various colors of flashing, but in the end it all depends on how you see it - the trick is to pick a type of patch you'll be most likely to recognize again and go into it. A wild pokemon will appear: if it's not the type you were searching for run, recharge radar and start again. If it is what you're searching for kill it (or capture it, but if it wasn't a shiny killing is both faster and less annoying). You have now started a chain, and pokeradar checker app should show icon of your pokemon hunted with number 1 on top. Also music will change to pokeradar music and four new patches will shake.

5) Now the basic instinct would be to pick a patch of those that just shook and go into it. Don't. Stop and think on what you just saw. Did you saw four, or at least three patches? Did any of them look like the one you picked first? How sure you are it's the same type? Picking the wrong one will give you different 'mon and break the chain. How close the patch of choice was to you? The safest patches seem to spawn four steps from your current position, anything closer or further is risky. How close the patch is to the edge of field? If it's right on the edge you shouldn't take it - it'll rise chance that no patches radar chooses to activate are on grass, and if none are the chain will break. If you aren't sure of your patch choice find a safe spot to move around while keeping an eye on patches that activated and reset.

Chaining rule #3: It is always better to reset then risk it. To quote Robert De Niro from Ronin: "When there's a doubt, there is no doubt!". Learn to trust your gut - it won't always be right, and it'll take soem time to refine your instincts, but taking it slow and finding a right patch after 2-3 resets will only waste you five minutes, while rushing it and taking a wrong one is likely to drop your one-hour-plus 39-mon chain down the drain in matter of seconds.

6) If you pick the right patch another of your chosen species will appear, and again you'll either kill or capture it. The chain will go on, patches will shake again and again you'll have to choose between resetting or picking one of those that just activated. Continue until you hit 40-mon chain. It might take long time to get there but it'll happen eventualy if you're patient. Don't get dicouraged if your chains break early

7) So you've reached 40 - now it's time to change way you work. At this point your chance of shiny patch is maximized, so you don't need to kill/capture the pokemon. Instead start resetting like crazy and keep an eye out for shiny patches - that's the only kind that should interest you at this point. Again two truths remain: 1) It will take time, 2) "When there's a doubt, there is no doubt!" - if you aren't sure what you saw it's better to reset than risk it (though shiny patches are supposed to be discernable enough from flashy ones). Also once you do get a shiny remember to save your game - saving itself doesn't break the chain, though turning the game off does. And of course try to get as many shiny patches from the chain as your patience/time/repel supplies allow :smallbiggrin:

Hmph. I'm not totally happy with the end result, but perhaps it'll do. If I wrote anything unclear, or you have questions ask :smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-04-02, 07:55 AM
Hah, thanks! :smallbiggrin:

(And I named my shiny Meditite Vetinari. :smallamused:)

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-02, 08:46 AM
Finally got my Hitmonchan on Heart Gold to the point where it has a decent start to a moveset keyed off its better offensive stat... Just need to see about replacing Fire Punch with Bulk Up at some stage (or, in the longer term, breeding for a Hitmonchan with the Iron Fist ability rather than Keen Eye)... But no longer must Hitmonchan run from pokemon like Tauros, taking then damage from Pursuit because its only damaging moves are Fake Out and tackle...

Malek
2010-04-02, 10:25 AM
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7159/dpffsa403.png

Hahaha! After many hours shiny shinx is finally mine :smallbiggrin: Who's my shiny? Who's my shiny? You are! *hugz*

Curiously enough it's a male meaning I have a pair now and I don't recall intimidate kicking in which would mean both my shinx have rivarly for ability. Now for a short break and then let's see if I can adopt more shiniez from the same chain :smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-04-02, 10:29 AM

Hahaha! After many hours shiny shinx is finally mine :smallbiggrin: Who's my shiny? Who's my shiny? You are! *hugz*

Curiously enough it's a male meaning I have a pair now and I don't recall intimidate kicking in which would mean both my shinx have rivarly for ability. Now for a short break and then let's see if I can adopt more shiniez from the same chain :smalltongue:

NICE! Congratulations!

Flarowon
2010-04-02, 10:29 AM
Re-post from the end of the last thread:

How'd it take me this long to find this thread? Anyway, I've got HG. I 've beaten all sixteen gyms and have... been utterly destroyed by Red (though I did manage to KO his pikachu). I've been legend-hunting for a while, and have finally got my hands on Ho-oh, Lugia, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Entei and Raikou. All that's left is Suicune, Latias, and Mewtwo caught those guys too! Huzzah! My team is, all around level 60:

Meganium
Starmie
Ampharos
Houndoom
Mamoswine
Breloom with ALMIGHTY SPORE!!! (how'd you think I caught all those legendaries?)

Comments, anyone?

SensFan
2010-04-02, 11:31 AM
If someone can help me evolve Onix, that'd be great. Let me know.

TheLogman
2010-04-02, 12:10 PM
Equip him with a "Metal Coat".

Trade him.

He'll evolve on the other side.

Metal Coats are commonly carried by Steel Types in the Wild.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-04-02, 12:13 PM
Re-post from the end of the last thread:

How'd it take me this long to find this thread? Anyway, I've got HG. I 've beaten all sixteen gyms and have... been utterly destroyed by Red (though I did manage to KO his pikachu). I've been legend-hunting for a while, and have finally got my hands on Ho-oh, Lugia, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Entei and Raikou. All that's left is Suicune, Latias, and Mewtwo caught those guys too! Huzzah! My team is, all around level 60:

Meganium
Starmie
Ampharos
Houndoom
Mamoswine
Breloom with ALMIGHTY SPORE!!! (how'd you think I caught all those legendaries?)

Comments, anyone?

Good luck! You're actually at a level where you can beat him. I beat him (Barely :smalleek:), when all my pokemon were level 59 (Feraligatr, Pidgeot, Ampharos, Gengar, Nidoking, Arcanine).

Brink Moomoo Milk and Max Revives. Lots and lots of Max Revives (Rock Smash at Ruins of Alph is great)

(how'd you think I caught all those legendaries?)

Gengar with Mean Look and Hypnosis? :smalltongue:

Legoshrimp
2010-04-02, 12:24 PM
So I lost at Lance on my first try against the elite4. I started with lvl 40 Spiritomb lvl 45 Feraligator lvl 42 dragonite, and lvl 54 or 53 Crobat. The other two slots are HM slave gyrados 12, and a rhydon that I just caught while leveling. So I did better then I thought I would :smalltongue:

SensFan
2010-04-02, 12:50 PM
Equip him with a "Metal Coat".

Trade him.

He'll evolve on the other side.

Metal Coats are commonly carried by Steel Types in the Wild.
I have the Metal Coat (after an hour of Frisking). I need a trade.

Eon
2010-04-02, 01:18 PM

I'm jealous...

also, I have been looking at some Pokemon and how they look when they are shiny, but... Gengar doesn't look very special when shiny...:smallfrown:

Malek
2010-04-02, 01:27 PM
also, I have been looking at some Pokemon and how they look when they are shiny, but... Gengar doesn't look very special when shiny...:smallfrown:

Aye, sad but true - many pokemon have shiny sprites that are either hardly distinguishable from regular ones (like Gengar you mentioned, or that Ditto I caught), and I do recall I've seen a few downright ugly.

But some look quite nice - Shinx and it's line is nice, Ponyta gives a cool (no pun inteded) "cold flame" vibe with it's shiny sprite (Rapidash looks a bit worse but still not bad) or shiny Charizard who - while not really that pretty in pre-evolutions - turns nice black hue in the end.

SparkMandriller
2010-04-02, 01:45 PM
Shiny Metagross, woo woo.

Eon
2010-04-02, 01:49 PM
I need to see if I can get another shiny...

tgva8889
2010-04-02, 02:49 PM
Shiny Gyrados! Oh yeah! Talk about aweso- oh, wait. Everyone has one of those.

chiasaur11
2010-04-02, 02:55 PM
Shiny Bidoof.

We're talking living paradox, right there.

Octopus Jack
2010-04-02, 03:09 PM
I've bred enough spinda's on diamond, boxes of them. Now is the time for the ALLMIGHTY SPINDA PARTY!! (OF DOOM)

Mando Knight
2010-04-02, 03:12 PM
Shiny Gyrados! Oh yeah! Talk about aweso- oh, wait. Everyone has one of those.

Do they all nickname it Gyar-chan and let it rampage everywhere? No? Didn't think so. :smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-04-02, 03:13 PM
Aye, sad but true - many pokemon have shiny sprites that are either hardly distinguishable from regular ones (like Gengar you mentioned, or that Ditto I caught), and I do recall I've seen a few downright ugly.

But some look quite nice - Shinx and it's line is nice, Ponyta gives a cool (no pun inteded) "cold flame" vibe with it's shiny sprite (Rapidash looks a bit worse but still not bad) or shiny Charizard who - while not really that pretty in pre-evolutions - turns nice black hue in the end.

Yeah, blue flame=Awesome. Same with Shiny Metagross.

Shiny Gastly and Haunter are cool though.

Shiny Riolu and Lucario are okay. Not as cool as the others, but hey, shiny. :smallbiggrin:

tgva8889
2010-04-02, 03:20 PM
Time to wait until nightfall to attempt to capture Lugia.

Good thing I bought 40 Dusk Balls.

Freako
2010-04-02, 03:23 PM
You don't actually have to wait until night for the Dusk Ball bonus to kick in if they're in a cave. You should have plenty of balls though; it only took me about 10. (I got in some really lucky freeze hax, though, so that helped)

tgva8889
2010-04-02, 03:25 PM
Well, you had it easy. Gold was a friking hell-hole for catching. Not only did you have to deal with Safeguard, but also Recover screwing up your catching strategy. I had to hax-freeze Lugia to even have a shot of catching it.

Edit: Note to self. Heavy Balls are better than Dusk Balls for catching sufficiently heavy Legendaries.

Freako
2010-04-02, 03:45 PM
If there's one thing that I like better about the old Silver version, it's that freeze never wears off, like it does in the current Gen. I ended up having to resort to using Thunder Wave, because my lucky freeze wore off and my Gengar couldn't survive long enough to land a Hypnosis. Still got it in the end, though.

Kris Strife
2010-04-02, 04:54 PM
Shiny Riolu and Lucario are okay. Not as cool as the others, but hey, shiny. :smallbiggrin:

They look like bees. :smallbiggrin:

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-02, 05:26 PM
Time for one of those odd questions: If you were creating a promotional version of a specific pokemon as a giveaway, what non-standard moves would it have?

My first reaction here would be to release an Ampharos with Tail Glow, though Rapidash with Hi Jump Kick and Scyther with Close Combat would also be pretty awesome.

tgva8889
2010-04-02, 05:28 PM
Wow, I come up with weird names.

It's time to head towards the League! I'm so far behind everyone else playing this game, aren't I?

Edit: Well, there are a couple of Pokemon that should have certain moves but don't. Can't remember any off the top of my head right now, though...

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-02, 05:30 PM

It's time to head towards the League! I'm so far behind everyone else playing this game, aren't I?

Don't worry, I haven't even beaten Pryce yet. Been rather busy.

Freako
2010-04-02, 05:51 PM

Edit: Well, there are a couple of Pokemon that should have certain moves but don't. Can't remember any off the top of my head right now, though...

Hey, you're about neck and neck with me, and I've had this game since launch day. :smalltongue:

tgva8889
2010-04-02, 05:52 PM
Hey, you're about neck and neck with me, and I've had this game since launch day. :smalltongue:

Well, so have I. That's why I feel behind. :smallsmile:

Don't worry, you'll get there.

Freako
2010-04-02, 05:57 PM
Yeah. I always like to take my time with Pokemon, and RPGs in general. I had well over 100 hours logged on Platinum before I beat the Elite Four. I'm more interested in catching Pokemon than progressing the story, usually.

tgva8889
2010-04-02, 06:00 PM
I tend to enjoy wasting time on things like Apricorn Farming and the Card Flip Mini-Game, so I'm on the same boat.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-04-02, 06:08 PM
They look like bees. :smallbiggrin:

They actually fit in well with a desert setting. :smallsmile:

Freako
2010-04-02, 06:21 PM
Woohoo! Got a Modest Surfachu! And a Thunderstone! Now all I need is a Light Ball.

I wonder, can you use Thief/Trick on Red's Pikachu to steal it's Light Ball? Would make the little bugger a hell of a lot easier, probably. And hey, free Light Ball.

tgva8889
2010-04-02, 06:26 PM
Does your Surfachu have good IVs? If so, congratulations! If not, it's still pretty cool that you can get them.

As for items, I'm pretty sure you can Trick items off of the trainers in-game. I'm not sure whether they get them back again or not, but I'm pretty sure you get to keep them.

Freako
2010-04-02, 06:39 PM
Does your Surfachu have good IVs? If so, congratulations! If not, it's still pretty cool that you can get them.
Eh, not too bad. 22-24 in everything but Attack (an 8) and Speed (a 3 :smallfrown:) Shame about the speed IV, but otherwise pretty solid.

chiasaur11
2010-04-02, 06:58 PM
So, any areas in DP where there's only one kind of radarable pokemon?

Would make the shiny bit a good deal easier.

tgva8889
2010-04-02, 07:00 PM
Chia - No, there's not. Probably why the Radar is allowed in the game, since otherwise your chain would absolutely never break.

Kris Strife
2010-04-02, 07:01 PM
Woohoo! Got a Modest Surfachu! And a Thunderstone! Now all I need is a Light Ball.

I wonder, can you use Thief/Trick on Red's Pikachu to steal it's Light Ball? Would make the little bugger a hell of a lot easier, probably. And hey, free Light Ball.

Where are surf/fly pikachus?

chiasaur11
2010-04-02, 07:04 PM
Chia - No, there's not. Probably why the Radar is allowed in the game, since otherwise your chain would absolutely never break.

Ah.

Figured as much.

So far, no real luck. Got a 15 chain of machops before a Stantler ruined it.

Need to memorize the flash pattern better.

tgva8889
2010-04-02, 07:06 PM
I know you can't get anything good from it, but I would practice in the first route of the game. Only 2 different Pokemon there, it's a pretty good chance that you can keep up a chain.

Freako
2010-04-02, 07:07 PM
Where are surf/fly pikachus?

You need the Yellow Forest route for the Pokewalker, which you can download off Wi-Fi from now to May 5th. Just choose "Mystery Gift" from the main menu, then "Receive gift", then "Get via Nintendo WFC", and the rest should be self-explanatory.

Also note, you need about 9500 steps (for Surf Pikachu) or 10,000 steps (for Fly Pikachu) before they start showing up, and you can't get both in the same Pokewalker outing, only one or the other (since they both belong to Group A, and only one kind of Pokemon from a group can be found during a session).

Kris Strife
2010-04-02, 07:17 PM
You need the Yellow Forest route for the Pokewalker, which you can download off Wi-Fi from now to May 5th. Just choose "Mystery Gift" from the main menu, then "Receive gift", then "Get via Nintendo WFC", and the rest should be self-explanatory.

Also note, you need about 9500 steps (for Surf Pikachu) or 10,000 steps (for Fly Pikachu) before they start showing up, and you can't get both in the same Pokewalker outing, only one or the other (since they both belong to Group A, and only one kind of Pokemon from a group can be found during a session).

Oh, shouldn't be a problem for me then. :smallwink:

Foeofthelance
2010-04-02, 07:49 PM
So I lost at Lance on my first try against the elite4. I started with lvl 40 Spiritomb lvl 45 Feraligator lvl 42 dragonite, and lvl 54 or 53 Crobat. The other two slots are HM slave gyrados 12, and a rhydon that I just caught while leveling. So I did better then I thought I would :smalltongue:

Where in heaven's name did you get a level 42 dragonite? :smallconfused:

Mando Knight
2010-04-02, 08:36 PM
...Infinite free Light Balls.
Step 1: Give an Alakazam Trick and a worthless item (Oran Berry? Babiri Berry? Mom seems to buy the latter by the dozen...)
Step 2: Trick Red's chu's Light Ball off of him.
Step 3: After beating Red, hit Karen and Lance on the head again.
Step 4: Repeat steps 1 through 3.
Step 5: ????
Step 6: Profit!

I tend to enjoy wasting time on things like Apricorn Farming and the Card Flip Mini-Game, so I'm on the same boat.
I know, right? HeartGold has taken me twice as long to get through the E4 as Diamond, simply because I like the side stuff better. Better Safari Zone, better coin game (Logic? To win "free" items? SCORE!), daily Apricorn hunt after getting Fly, more convenient (if less efficient) berry growing...

tgva8889
2010-04-02, 08:50 PM
You can do whatever you want in terms of getting certain items with this method. For example, I think one of the trainers has a Toxic Orb and another has a Flame Orb.

Mando Knight
2010-04-02, 10:13 PM
News from the "Way too much effort for a Children's RPG (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeriousBusiness)" front:

I'm currently building an Excel file to allow me to quickly access every move, every Pokémon, calculate its IVs and Hidden Power based on its stats, and view its capture location and EV gain without going to websites.

I've got up to Rock Blast in moves (though skipping the Gen IV moves on that list, since I started it in Gen III... I'll add the new moves soon enough, though), the type chart, and a calculator sheet.

Foeofthelance
2010-04-02, 10:37 PM
Does anyone know if the pokemon sayings actually mean anything? Because my Lapras just warned me that he was worried about the Trap...

Should I just rename him Adm. Akbar?

Eon
2010-04-02, 10:50 PM
Ahh... nothing like a relaxing, slow pace for Pokemon games.

Just beat Whitney, by mostly what seems to be luck honestly.

here's the basics...

Gastly first, Hypnosis/Curse spam :smallbiggrin:
Clefairy faints
Gastly tries Destiny Bond, get's powned by stomp first
Filler (Elekid)
Filler attempt 2
Magby is sent out. Ember doesn't hit for much, but after a stomp Miltank gets burned.
Miltank noms cure-all berry
Stomps again
Gets burned again (I laughed :smallsmile:)
Down to 3 Pokemons
Chikorita is sent out
Razor leaf pretty much ineffective but burn gets him down
Super potion as expected (3rd attempt at it, I knew about it
/sigh
razor leaf's ineffectiveness and burn's slightly better effectiveness gets it down
another super potion (farthest attempt, my face resembled :smallfurious:)
finally get it back down. Attract (did I mention Chiko was attracted since the 2nd super potion) stops razor leaf from getting the win but the burn pulls through
I was happy and am now going planning on leveling my other pokemon
edit: note: chikorita had to be revived once during this fight, Thanks for taking the blows Staryu

Magby is now one of my favorites...:smallbiggrin:

Dispozition
2010-04-02, 11:00 PM
Does anyone know if the pokemon sayings actually mean anything? Because my Lapras just warned me that he was worried about the Trap...

Even if it doesn't mean anything, do it anyway.

Kris Strife
2010-04-03, 12:33 AM
Beat Clair with a level 36 and below party (no fainting) using type advantages and perish song, and even nabbed the extreme speed dratini my first try.

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-03, 01:35 AM
Whew...hanging out with friends earlier, got my Haunter evolved to Gengar, one let me have his Arceus long enough to get a lvl 1. Giratina (promptly nicknamed Fluffy), and got via Mystery Gift the Yellow Forest route from Nintendo, and from Battle Revolution a Surfing Pikachu with Volt Tackle, a Magmortar, and an Electivire. Now off to play a bit...need to finish my first round of exploring Mt. Mortar, deal with the Lake of Rage, and crush one Team Rocket base.

Malek
2010-04-03, 03:30 AM

That one saying is a bit mysterious because it happens somwhere on road to E4, and nobody has clue what it's supposed to signify. Other than that - sayings usually at most signyfy where you are (i.e. near Azaela town pokemon will smell smoke from the house they make charcoal), but one thing I've found worthy of notice is that if they "search for something" it means there is a pokeball with item somewhere nearby.

Dihan
2010-04-03, 08:43 AM
Fan Events over wi-fi are now possible. To get Puffy the Psychopathic Jigglypuff, go here (http://gts.determinismsucks.net/howto.html) and follow the instructions. I can't get it to work myself.

Green Bean
2010-04-03, 09:10 AM
Even better; if you know a bit more than me about computers, you can set up your computer to do the same thing (http://community.livejournal.com/pokewifi/2167924.html) as long as you have a working Wifi connection.

AlterForm
2010-04-03, 09:20 AM
Even better; if you know a bit more than me about computers, you can set up your computer to do the same thing (http://community.livejournal.com/pokewifi/2167924.html) as long as you have a working Wifi connection.

I couldn't get Dihan's to work, but this one definitely does. Gave myself a Mew who will promptly become my HM Slave.

Process:
DL sendpkm.zip
Extract
Open the new sendpkm folder
DL .pkm file of whatever pokemon you wish to transfer
Drag .pkm file onto sendpkmk.py
Change you DS's DNS server to the one list
--Choose Nintendo WiFi Connection Settings from main title
--Change Auto-DNS to No
--Edit the Primary DNS Server to the one provided
Connect to GTS
Receive Pokemon
Be not afraid when you get booted to title screen with connection error

Jimp
2010-04-03, 09:46 AM
I have Soul Silver, got it on release day last Friday. Got playing on Monday. I beat Claire yesterday and caught Lugia on my 5th attempt with an Ultra Ball (woo). Taking a break from it today because I got a bit headachey yesterday :smallcool:. I'm going to give EV training a shot at some stage but don't think I'll do the whole breeding for huge IVs and correct natures thing since my current team has alright IVs, not great but not bad, and no adverse natures.
Current team:
Lvl 45 Scyther (swarm, spent a day looking for one with technician without any luck and said 'nuts to this I have gyms to beat')
Lvl 45 Pupitar (Jolly nature on the first one I caught, not bad :smallbiggrin:)
Lvl 45 Dratini (Holding back until 51 for Outrage)
Lvl 45 Haunter (+special defence - attack nature, I think. Not the best but not bad as he has survived a few super effective attacks)
I was running a lvl 42 Graveller who I swapped out for Larvitar when I caught him yesterday. I also have a lvl 42 Feraligatr who I'm sidelining for a while until I get a water stone for Eevee and a Vaporeon. Once I get a Vaporeon I'll head for the elite 4. I'm also waiting for my sister to get Heart Gold so she can trade me a Growlithe since Arcanine is my favourite and he has to be on my team :smallbiggrin:
Questions!
1. What kind of berries erase the already-gained EVs? I saw it mentioned in the last thread but didn't catch a name.
2. Is there a specific day that water stones become available in the pokéathlon stadium? I keep getting sun stones in the bug catching contest and no water stones have appeared for me yet in the stadium.
Also, I forgot how much I freaking loved Silver. Especially the chain of events with Team Rocket at Lake of Rage and the Radio Tower.

Assassin89
2010-04-03, 09:53 AM
I don't think there are berries that remove EVs, but instead decrease the base values. I think they are pomeg, kelpsy, tamato, qualot, hondew and grepa.

Mando Knight
2010-04-03, 10:01 AM
I don't think there are berries that remove EVs, but instead decrease the base values. I think they are pomeg, kelpsy, tamato, qualot, hondew and grepa.
I'm sorry, but you've got this all backwards.

Those berries slash at your EVs. First they reduce them to 100, then knock them down by 10 each time afterward.

There is no code by which the game can alter a Pokémon's actual Base Stat values... the system references the Pokémon's index data in order to determine its base stats.

A large number of the expressions are context-sensitive. A Pokémon that's paralyzed or sleeping (at least) has trouble keeping up with you. Places with interesting features are commented on by your Pokémon's focus and actions. Inside the Pokémon League, your Pokémon is focused.

Duos
2010-04-03, 10:02 AM
Well, though a truly STAGGERING amount of luck, my pokemon managed to catch the Pokerus naturally, which has made things much easier for me.

Also, a question. If I dump my pokemon with the daycare (because I'm a lazy bastard) I know they grow up weaker. However, does anyone know if this is because they just don't get EVs in the daycare, or if their stat growth is actually slower? Playing Sapphire, to clarify.

Mando Knight
2010-04-03, 10:05 AM
It's because they don't get EVs by growing up in the Daycare. There's nothing in the level-up code that would let them actually have lower stats just by growing up in the Daycare.

Duos
2010-04-03, 10:10 AM
Well, that's good news. Thanks!

Jimp
2010-04-03, 10:17 AM
I'm sorry, but you've got this all backwards.

Those berries slash at your EVs. First they reduce them to 100, then knock them down by 10 each time afterward.

There is no code by which the game can alter a Pokémon's actual Base Stat values... the system references the Pokémon's index data in order to determine its base stats. So to reduce a pokémon's EVs back to zero I'd need to give them one of those items plus x many more until it reaches zero?

SephlidJam
2010-04-03, 10:24 AM
2. Is there a specific day that water stones become available in the pokéathlon stadium? I keep getting sun stones in the bug catching contest and no water stones have appeared for me yet in the stadium.

Pre-Elite Four, you can get Water Stones on Wednesday. Post, Monday and Tuesday also.

Freako
2010-04-03, 10:34 AM
So to reduce a pokémon's EVs back to zero I'd need to give them one of those items plus x many more until it reaches zero?

Yep. 11 is the most you'd need to bring them down to zero, assuming they have over 100 EVs in that stat.

Malek
2010-04-03, 10:35 AM
So to reduce a pokémon's EVs back to zero I'd need to give them one of those items plus x many more until it reaches zero?
To erase EV in stat of choice you'll need at most 11 berries of proper type. If EV's are at 100 or below you'll need less than that, but if you don't know what EV you have 11 berries for each stat should wipe them clear.

And they will also boost the happines.

Not sure if these berries are avialable in HG/SS thoguh (probably yes, but through the guy that exchanges shards for berries - didn't try)

Edit: Ninja's, ninja's everywhere!

Fan Events over wi-fi are now possible. To get Puffy the Psychopathic Jigglypuff, go here (http://gts.determinismsucks.net/howto.html) and follow the instructions. I can't get it to work myself.

That's... interesting for sure, but for me this classifies as a cheat - if you can send yourself any 'mon and there is a place where you can download files for them, then there you can get any and all pokemon without any effort.

tgva8889
2010-04-03, 10:41 AM
...Also, they've proved they can hack illegal moves onto said Pokemon through their MissingNo. distribution, which has Water Gun twice.

Northforce
2010-04-03, 10:43 AM
Those berries reduce the EV's. You know when giving a Pokemon HP Up or a Carbos, it says, "Tropius' base HP/Speed was raised!" ? Those berries are reverse-vitamins, decrementing the selected Stat's EV total by 10.

Edit: Holy surfeit of posts, Batman! We just got ninja'd!

The Dark Fiddler
2010-04-03, 11:25 AM
Just beat Clair. Nothing fancy, just fought her. I was surprised how easy she was, actually. She did take down four of my Pokemon, but one was because I had to switch out to him (wasn't expecting Gyarados to start, so I switched out to Ampharos) and the other because of bad luck (what do you mean my Lumpluff failed to Leech Seed Kingdra... twice?!).

Also, fan-made events... interesting... I'd love to get some just for fun. I'd never use them in actual competitive games or anything.

Flarowon
2010-04-03, 11:30 AM
RAGE! UNHOLY KILLING RAGE!

Whew. I had to let that out. Anyway, the reason I had such rage in the first place is that I got really dang lucky against Red, paralysis happened, I got some crits, that kind of thing. But then, I was in a situation where could win, just my Meganium against his Lapras, he had used all the pp for blizzard, I was whittling his heath down with energy ball (okay, more than whittling), if I kept it up I was going to win.

Then he got a critical hit with body slam and killed me.

Rage.

chiasaur11
2010-04-03, 11:51 AM
RAGE! UNHOLY KILLING RAGE!

Whew. I had to let that out. Anyway, the reason I had such rage in the first place is that I got really dang lucky against Red, paralysis happened, I got some crits, that kind of thing. But then, I was in a situation where could win, just my Meganium against his Lapras, he had used all the pp for blizzard, I was whittling his heath down with energy ball (okay, more than whittling), if I kept it up I was going to win.

Then he got a critical hit with body slam and killed me.

Rage.

I got a worse story.

Okay, you know the battle hall?

One on One until you drop.

Well, my starter was doing aces. Took down all the fire types and a bunch of others.

Good enough for the local boss to take note.

So, one on one fight with the frontier leader. And, lucky me, she has a Flygon. It's like she's ASKING for an Ice Fang to the kisser.

Only it goes first...

With a critical Earth Power.

One hit and I'm out on my butt again.

Hate it when that happens.

Try it again, and she gets a flipping Garchomp.

It doesn't get so lucky.

Malek
2010-04-03, 12:20 PM
Speaking of Battle Frontier - anyone else think it's BP recieved to prize cost ratio is a bit absurd? Typical TM costs 32 BP, Battle Tower gives 3 BP per 7 battles, meaning I have to win 77 battles to get one... assuming I win all of them. Ugh. I'd rather play Voltorb Flip, but sadly it's an option only for select few TM's :smallyuk:

Dihan
2010-04-03, 01:29 PM

This works now.

I also used the other thing to get myself a decent Eevee to turn into a Vaporeon.

AlterForm
2010-04-03, 02:01 PM
That's... interesting for sure, but for me this classifies as a cheat - if you can send yourself any 'mon and there is a place where you can download files for them, then there you can get any and all pokemon without any effort.

For sure a cheat. But I think it's a Ben Parker sort of situation; if we're using it for otherwise-unattainable 'mons, it falls (in my opinion) on the acceptable side of the gray area. If you're using it to give yourself a Shiny-32-IVs-Max-EVs-Garchomp, yeah, that crosses a line.

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-03, 03:32 PM
For sure a cheat. But I think it's a Ben Parker sort of situation; if we're using it for otherwise-unattainable 'mons, it falls (in my opinion) on the acceptable side of the gray area. If you're using it to give yourself a Shiny-32-IVs-Max-EVs-Garchomp, yeah, that crosses a line.

Especially since IV's max at 31.

Mando Knight
2010-04-03, 03:40 PM
Not sure if these berries are avialable in HG/SS thoguh (probably yes, but through the guy that exchanges shards for berries - didn't try)

They're post-NatDex for the Johto region. It's only the Fuchsia City Shard-Berry Juggler that gives you the EV berries. Of course, if you've got a friend that has those berries, nothing stops you from growing thirty or so of each.

Also: Magnezone is too big for the Pokéwalker's main screen. I highly suspect a large number of others are, too.

Dihan
2010-04-03, 04:46 PM

Except the GTS will block any Pokemon that fails its legality test. This means that obviously hacked things will be blocked whilst things that look legitimate are allowed through.

My Vaporeon was created as an Eevee. I gave it a Bold nature because I would just end up breeding for a Bold Eevee anyway. I gave it some egg moves because I hate using TMs up so I always chain breed and it takes ages. I then gave it a spread of IVs, two high, two mid and two low (although I did put them where I wanted them but none of the IVs are 31 - I think the highest I gave was 26 in HP). I also gave it a water stone to hold to save time on grinding in the Pokeathlon. I left EVs at 0 across the board so I can do that myself.

I probably just saved myself a week of constant breeding and grinding.

Foeofthelance
2010-04-03, 06:13 PM
See, now I have to resist the urge to just take my new Arceus and stomp the Elite Four into ashes. On the other hand, going to capture a Baby God Dragon and beating them with that...

Much more fun!

The Dark Fiddler
2010-04-03, 06:34 PM
You know, I found the Kimono girls a lot harder than Clair. I ended up sitting through Jolteon with only my Vaporeon still alive, using a Hyper Potion every turn and hoping Leech Seed would kill it. And then Aura Beamed their Vaporeon to death.

End of the battle; only Vaporeon alive and he had about 12 HP left.

ScottishDragon
2010-04-03, 09:37 PM
:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:A card I own which luckaly has been sitting in a binder not collecting dust in a corner was dicovered by me,looked it up on amazon,lowest price $100,might be a nice way to bring in some extra cash!

Picturehttp://www.pokebeach.com/scans/ex-firered-and-leafgreen/105-charizard-ex.jpg

tgva8889
2010-04-03, 09:37 PM
DarkFiddler: You know what's good against a series of trainers with one Pokemon?

Perish Song.

I swear to god, I'm using Perish Song more often in Pokemon.

Foeofthelance
2010-04-03, 10:09 PM
Phew! So, beat the Elite Four, finally. Final Team!

Adm. Ackbar, level 35 Lapras. Pretty much a no show for much of the fighting, managed to tank one of Lance's Dragonites for four turns, despite a 15 level disadvantage! This allowed the heavy hitters on the team to heal up and change out.

Maliki, Level 56 Dragonite. She cleaned house on the Champion's Dragonites, despite relying on several Revives/Full Restores to keep her in the fight.

Lugia, Level 48. Almost single handedly defeated Koga, and did solo Bruno. Stalled the last of Lance's Dragons to buy some more time for healing.

Entei, Level 43 His fire attacks wrecked both Koga and Will's grass and bug types.

Dragonite, Level 55. A strong mix of attacks, including Draco Meteor and Thunderolt, allowed this particular dragon to take down most flying and water based opponents.

Worst bit had to be Lance. His Dragons always landed their moves, and somehow had a speed advantage despite being several levels lower. Aerodactyl, Charizard, and Gyrados weren't much of an issue, though. Blizzard sucks.

Kris Strife
2010-04-03, 10:40 PM
Ho-oh's being a pain... Made him run out of PP and struggle himself to death, chucking timer balls at him while he was in the red. >.>

Edit: Started the fight over and caught him. :D Not sure what to do with him now though... I chose Cyndaquil for my starter...

tgva8889
2010-04-03, 10:55 PM
Does anyone have a way to create a quality let's play by using an actual DS cartridge of HeartGold?

Mando Knight
2010-04-03, 11:00 PM
Ho-oh's being a pain... Made him run out of PP and struggle himself to death, chucking timer balls at him while he was in the red. >.>

Edit: Started the fight over and caught him. :D Not sure what to do with him now though... I chose Cyndaquil for my starter...

Legends are almost as good at Pokéthlons as an Aprijuiced Sunkern.

Kris Strife
2010-04-03, 11:03 PM
Pokeathalon is probably going to get the same amount of attention from me as Contest do: None. :smalltongue: I've got a Typhlosion, Lucario, Lapras, Dragonair, Gengar and Ampharos, levels 33-38.

Mando Knight
2010-04-03, 11:08 PM
Pokeathalon is probably going to get the same amount of attention from me as Contest do: None. :smalltongue: I've got a Typhlosion, Lucario, Lapras, Dragonair, Gengar and Ampharos, levels 33-38.

Pokéathlon gives you rare stuff (all evolution stones... ALSO NUGGETS) for points. And its minigames are more interesting than the Contest parts.

Kris Strife
2010-04-03, 11:12 PM
Pokéathlon gives you rare stuff (all evolution stones...) for points. And its minigames are more interesting than the Contest parts.

I don't really do stone evolutions much, and I have all I'll need thanks to cycle trading with my end game Pearl save.

Mando Knight
2010-04-03, 11:18 PM
Thursdays they sell PP Ups and Fridays they've got Dragon Scales. Metal Coats on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. It's an evolver's best minigame yet.

SensFan
2010-04-03, 11:21 PM
Speaking of Battle Frontier - anyone else think it's BP recieved to prize cost ratio is a bit absurd? Typical TM costs 32 BP, Battle Tower gives 3 BP per 7 battles, meaning I have to win 77 battles to get one... assuming I win all of them. Ugh. I'd rather play Voltorb Flip, but sadly it's an option only for select few TM's :smallyuk:
In DP is much more reasonable. You got a nice bonus (7BP, if memory serves) for winning your 21st and 49th battle.

tgva8889
2010-04-03, 11:24 PM
Yeah...I grinded BP from the Factory. I still haven't gotten the Gold Symbol, but I have upwards of 100 BP, as well as 2 of each Power item.

chiasaur11
2010-04-03, 11:33 PM
In DP is much more reasonable. You got a nice bonus (7BP, if memory serves) for winning your 21st and 49th battle.

In the battle hall, you get nice bonuses.

Smaller ones at 10 and 30.

Tons after beating the local boss. Ain't easy, but boss fights ain't intended to be.

Legoshrimp
2010-04-04, 12:36 AM
So I decided at this time I don't really want to spam breed for a better Jolteon choice so I will go with this.
Eevee4 docile 242 22 133 18 108 3 126 31 150 15 138 23

How should I EV train?

Green Bean
2010-04-04, 12:56 AM
For a Jolteon? Emphasize Special Attack and Speed EVs. Jolteon's defensive stats aren't great even if you try to raise them, so you pretty much have to go the glass cannon route.

absolmorph
2010-04-04, 01:41 AM
Does anyone have a way to create a quality let's play by using an actual DS cartridge of HeartGold?
Huh. I was actually considering doing this, too, if I ever find the cord that allows me to upload pictures from my digital camera...
It wouldn't be the best quality, but, hey, whatever works.

Malek
2010-04-04, 04:31 AM
For anyone that is interested - apparently SA forums unlocked to guests again, so we can read Let's Play Pokemon Platinum once again.

Serpentine
2010-04-04, 04:34 AM
So, Pokedorks*, I hazza question for you. You know in Red/Blue, the "daycare centre" guy? Does he cap his leveling up at the point where the pokemon will evolve? Cuz he was looking after my Magikarp, and when I picked it up it was very conveniently exactly one battle away from evolving into Gyarados. Just a convenient coincidence, or a known policy?

*:smalltongue:

Dispozition
2010-04-04, 05:21 AM
So, Pokedorks*, I hazza question for you. You know in Red/Blue, the "daycare centre" guy? Does he cap his leveling up at the point where the pokemon will evolve? Cuz he was looking after my Magikarp, and when I picked it up it was very conveniently exactly one battle away from evolving into Gyarados. Just a convenient coincidence, or a known policy?

Not to my knowledge. It'll keep on going forever and ever and evorrrrrrrrrrrr.

Nohwl
2010-04-04, 07:41 AM
So I decided at this time I don't really want to spam breed for a better Jolteon choice so I will go with this.
Eevee4 docile 242 22 133 18 108 3 126 31 150 15 138 23

How should I EV train?

252 into speed, 252 into special attack the rest into hp.

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-04, 08:07 AM

Definitely not- I've had a good few where the levelling has overrun in precisely the way yours didn't.

Dihan
2010-04-04, 09:38 AM
Did you know that trainers are more likely to look at you if you run past them than if you walk past? I never knew myself. Also, apparently running or cycling through grass attracts more random battles than if you walk.

It would certainly explain a lot.

AlterForm
2010-04-04, 10:00 AM
Did you know that trainers are more likely to look at you if you run past them than if you walk past? I never knew myself. Also, apparently running or cycling through grass attracts more random battles than if you walk.

It would certainly explain a lot.

The former I discovered in Sabrina's gym.

The latter I never took the time to explicitly test.

http://www.martingordon.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/the_more_you_know.jpg

Duos
2010-04-04, 11:24 AM
Alright, So I want to do this right the first time. Could someone doublecheck my method to make sure I'm doing this correctly?

-Pick up shroomish egg

-hatch shroomish egg

-ten Proteins, ten Carbos

-give Macho Brace, infect with pokerus

-beat up a bunch of zigzagoons (speed ev) and poochyenas (attack evs)

-level up normally

-evolve to breloom

-sweeper get!

I tried before and found a suspicious lack of stat growth in the selected areas...

AlterForm
2010-04-04, 11:38 AM
Yes, that will work. The lack of perceived stat growth is likely due to not being level 100; EVs don't express fully until then.

You can finish even faster if you give the shroomish one of the EV-gain items; they get doubled by pokerus.

Assuming Pokerus:
{table=head]EV Gain|With Macho Brace|With EV Item

1|
4|
10|

2|
8|
12|

3|
12|
14[/table]

tyckspoon
2010-04-04, 11:41 AM
Yeah, that's right. You may just be running into the fact that EV points are spread out over the entire 100-level spread; if you only level to 50-ish or whatever then you won't see the entire effect.

SensFan
2010-04-04, 12:07 PM
I tried before and found a suspicious lack of stat growth in the selected areas...
If instead you daycare/rarecandy to level 99, then beat up Zigzagoons and Poochyenas, you will see a boost of 64-65 or so on each Attack and Speed when you level up to 100.

ScottishDragon
2010-04-04, 01:46 PM
So, Pokedorks*

Were not pokedorks,were pokegeeks!!!!

AlterForm
2010-04-04, 01:50 PM
Were not pokedorks,were pokegeeks!!!!

Pardon me, sir, but some of us prefer the moniker Pokénerd. But heavens help you if you call us a Pokémaniac; bunch of kooks that lot is.

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-04, 01:52 PM
Has anyone worked out what pokemon the pokemaniacs in Heart Gold and Soul Silver are cosplaying as?

Mando Knight
2010-04-04, 02:48 PM
Also, apparently running or cycling through grass attracts more random battles than if you walk.
I would say so. I don't know the actual mechanics behind it, but cycling and running through grass (and caves) will seemingly take about the same time as walking if you calculate in the time spent in battle.

tgva8889
2010-04-04, 03:53 PM
Has anyone worked out what pokemon the pokemaniacs in Heart Gold and Soul Silver are cosplaying as?

I think it might by Tyranitar, but I'm not sure.

TheLogman
2010-04-04, 04:20 PM
They look a little bit like the "Substitute" pokemon.

tgva8889
2010-04-04, 04:23 PM
For those who are curious...

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/fe/HGSS_PokeManiac.png

I dunno what that horn is. Or why anyone would want to dress up as a Substitute. But I do see the resemblance.

Edit: It looks a bit like Larvitar.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/1/1e/Spr_4d_246.png

Foeofthelance
2010-04-04, 04:25 PM
Looks like Rhydon or Nidoking.

Kris Strife
2010-04-04, 04:39 PM
If instead you daycare/rarecandy to level 99, then beat up Zigzagoons and Poochyenas, you will see a boost of 64-65 or so on each Attack and Speed when you level up to 100.

In the origional Red version, I used a few rare candies to get mewtwo up the last few levels with 400 hp. I continued to use him to level up others via bait and switch. He wound up gaining an extra 4 hp during this, so I think oyu can keep gaining evs after level 100, and they apply automatically.

Fostire
2010-04-04, 04:51 PM
In the origional Red version, I used a few rare candies to get mewtwo up the last few levels with 400 hp. I continued to use him to level up others via bait and switch. He wound up gaining an extra 4 hp during this, so I think oyu can keep gaining evs after level 100, and they apply automatically.

From what I read you can keep gaining EVs yes, but they don't apply automatically as they only apply when you level up. But there is a trick to make them apply after level 100 and that is by storing a pokemon and then taking it back out. This supposedly works because when you store a pokemon, their stats aren't stored, only their IVs and EVs, so when you take it back out the game re-calculates the stats from that so the EVs are now applied.

Of course this is all stuff I read on the internet and haven't confirmed myself so I don't know how reliable it is or if it works for all versions.

absolmorph
2010-04-04, 04:56 PM
In the original games, you could gain EVs at level 100. Now, however, they're tied to experience gain; if a Pokemon gets experience from a battle, they get EVs. If not, they don't.

Mando Knight
2010-04-04, 07:23 PM
From what I read you can keep gaining EVs yes, but they don't apply automatically as they only apply when you level up. But there is a trick to make them apply after level 100 and that is by storing a pokemon and then taking it back out. This supposedly works because when you store a pokemon, their stats aren't stored, only their IVs and EVs, so when you take it back out the game re-calculates the stats from that so the EVs are now applied.

Of course this is all stuff I read on the internet and haven't confirmed myself so I don't know how reliable it is or if it works for all versions.

This only applies to Generations I and II, which to save data space recalculates a Pokémon's EVs every time it gets pulled out of storage, and also allows EVs to be earned at above level 100. None of the later games use that method, as data storage has become larger, cheaper, and more reliable.

tgva8889
2010-04-04, 07:41 PM
Actually, Mando, I was under the impression that it did still work.

Mando Knight
2010-04-04, 07:53 PM
Actually, Mando, I was under the impression that it did still work.
*Double checks*

Only for sub-100 'mons (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Box_trick). Probably (again) to save data space. It would work for level 100 'mons if they managed to get that high without capping their EVs and were successfully fed a Vitamin (event Arceus, a bunch of high-level Legends if you don't try to train them).

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-05, 06:32 AM
Is it me, or do the pokes on Route 26 have some real hax going on with their multi-hit moves?

Seriously, when they use either Fury Swipes or Fury Attack, I rarely ever get less than four hits from it.

tgva8889
2010-04-05, 07:12 AM
Use a...ghost-type? Then you'll get 0 hits?

Yeah, they cheat. I tend to one-shot them, though.

Dihan
2010-04-05, 07:41 AM
Well I have my Eeveelutions team complete. I just need to level them. I have come to the conclusion that Glaceon is far worse than Flareon; Flareon only needs Flare Blitz whilst Glaceon needs a complete overhaul.

Jolteon: Timid

1) Thunderbolt
2) Shadow Ball
3) Signal Beam
4) Fake Tears

Special Sweeper using Fake Tears to lower special defence. Simple enough.

Vaporeon: Bold

1) Surf
2) Wish
3) Toxic
4) Protect

A Staller I guess. Toxic first, Wish damage away and Protect from further damage. Surf when needed.

Flareon: Lonely

1) Fire Fang
2) Bite
3) Iron Tail
4) Headbutt

Physical attacker. STAB from its best physical fire move, some coverage in Bite and Iron Tail. I went for Headbutt because flinch is funny.

Espeon: Timid

1) Psychic
2) Wish
3) Reflect
4) Light Screen

Dual Screener. Reflect + Light Screen and then sweep... Until something that resists Psychic comes along. Wish is used to heal any damage that gets through the screens. Light Clay is used to extend the duration of the screens.

Umbreon: Sassy

1) Curse
2) Payback
3) Wish
4) Baton Pass

Curse until he's slower then Payback. Wish damage away. Can Baton Pass Curse and Wish onto something else such as Flareon or Leafeon.

Leafeon: Jolly

1) Leaf Blade
2) Swords Dance
3) Roar
4) Baton Pass

Leaf Blade for a strong STAB move. Swords Dance makes it even better and can be passed onto Flareon or Umbreon with Baton Pass. Roar is good for phasing.

Glaceon: Modest

1) Ice Beam
2) Wish
3) Fake Tears
4) Mirror Coat

Yeah... Boring moves. Wish, again. Fake Tears to lower special defence. Ice Beam is just pwn. Mirror Coat is to be used with Bulbapedia or Serebii.

I want more Eeveelutions! :smallbiggrin:

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-05, 08:03 AM
Use a...ghost-type? Then you'll get 0 hits?

Yeah, they cheat. I tend to one-shot them, though.

I was using the route to level my Dratini until it learned Dragon Dance though. Also, I currently lack any decent level ghost types. Just as well you don't run into trained Cloysters though, because skill link would mean result in them haxing for seven or eight hits at a time- Probably with Icicle spear.

Kris Strife
2010-04-05, 09:14 AM
I've got the card to play Kanto radio, how do I wake up Snorlax?

Malek
2010-04-05, 09:21 AM
Use Poke-flute channel. It's either in very top or exact center of the globe-tunning-thingy I think.

Kris Strife
2010-04-05, 09:46 AM
Thanks, couldn't find it. :smallsigh: Any other Kanto exclusive channels?

Mando Knight
2010-04-05, 12:42 PM
Thanks, couldn't find it. :smallsigh: Any other Kanto exclusive channels?

No, not in HGSS, since Kanto rebroadcasts the Johto channels.

I dislike the interface for the radio card. How does one determine the frequencies without a proper dial?

Mattarias, King.
2010-04-05, 01:55 PM
No, not in HGSS, since Kanto rebroadcasts the Johto channels.

I dislike the interface for the radio card. How does one determine the frequencies without a proper dial?

*de-lurks* I generally jut use the buttons at the corners. Otherwise I just get static and junk.

On a sidenote, if you want to unlock routes, take your pokewalker to a convention. :smalleek: By FIRE, there were so many people there with them. Some with multiple!

Mando Knight
2010-04-05, 02:12 PM
*de-lurks* I generally jut use the buttons at the corners. Otherwise I just get static and junk.
Beyond the point.

SensFan
2010-04-05, 02:18 PM
Beyond the point.
What was your point, then? If you want to try it out by hand, use the world map. If you just want to tune into a channel, use the corner buttons.

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-05, 02:32 PM
What was your point, then? If you want to try it out by hand, use the world map. If you just want to tune into a channel, use the corner buttons.

I think his point was simulation of real world technology- which is kind of a moot point these days since so many TVs and Radios have some sort of auto-detection system to find the channel for you.

Mando Knight
2010-04-05, 02:46 PM
My point is that the radio map makes no sense to me whatsoever and has no markings. It's much less efficient than a simple old-fashioned dial.

Jimp
2010-04-05, 05:20 PM
I got a Growlithe with 31 IVs in the HP, special attack and speed from my friend yesterday and spent the evening EV training it in special attack and speed and wow what a difference :smallbiggrin: It's now a lvl 50 Arcanine using flamethrower mostly but it's the fastest one in my party and it outputs some serious damage. Post-elite 4 I'm definitely hunting down those EV dropping berries and doing the rest of my team. Before then though I need to finish my Vaporeon. I've started into it's speed EVs, will finish it off tomorrow. It's going a bit slowly with just the 2x EV item (macho brace?).

The Dark Fiddler
2010-04-05, 06:08 PM
My point is that the radio map makes no sense to me whatsoever and has no markings.

But... that's kinda of a moot point, because you don't need to use the map at all. There's buttons on the side which give you the stations if you don't feel like hunting around.

chiasaur11
2010-04-05, 06:12 PM
But... that's kinda of a moot point, because you don't need to use the map at all. There's buttons on the side which give you the stations if you don't feel like hunting around.

Or you can tap A to cycle through them.

Istari
2010-04-05, 06:29 PM
Any advice for a guy that lost his pokewalker? There's still a chance to find it, but its unlikely, and I don't want to buy a replacement for $22 off amazon.

Mando Knight
2010-04-05, 08:01 PM
I've started into it's speed EVs, will finish it off tomorrow. It's going a bit slowly with just the 2x EV item (macho brace?).

I know. I've always taken a long time to EV train 'mons, but since the shiny Pichu that Freako lent me had Pokérus, my entire team was infected so my Magnezone managed to blast through EV training.

chiasaur11
2010-04-05, 08:11 PM
Any advice for a guy that lost his pokewalker? There's still a chance to find it, but its unlikely, and I don't want to buy a replacement for $22 off amazon.

I hear Nintendo sells replacements for a lot less.

Dunno how to get it beyond that, though.

Hunter Noventa
2010-04-06, 12:15 AM
So I've finally got something of a team together thanks to lots of trading and manipulation of my various copies of pokemons. So ehre's what I got as of getting the Plain Badge

Ryukooh
Level 20 Bashful Corocnaw
The starter. Punches, Bites and Spits water.

Armorlion
Level 21 Modest Metang
Tanky Goodness here.

Cosmolion
Level 18 Bashful Flaafy
Required Electric, also, fluffy.

Viletta
Level 20 Mild Mismagius
Stolen from pearl. Also, Ghost Witch ftw.

Wildwurger
Level 18 Timid Dratini
yay for Voltorb Flip not being a gyp like slot machines. Placeholder til I can breed a loyal Bagon with a Bagon and Gyarados I borrowed.

FerretBoat
Level 15 Furret
HM Slave.

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-06, 03:23 AM
Finally, after a few minor difficulties on the way, I have completed the breeding of my Larvitar with Dragon Dance. This makes me two days at most away from facing down the elite four with my preferred team (or at least the one I challenged myself to use)...

Kris Strife
2010-04-06, 05:19 AM
Is it possible to get a Physical dragon-type move on Lucario with out breeding it? Dragon Rush or something like that.

Malek
2010-04-06, 06:32 AM
The only Dragon move Lucario can learn is Dragon Pulse (which is special)

Edit @down - ah right. I just did a search through his movelist for "dragon", forgot to account for HP.

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-06, 06:34 AM

Also hidden power (again, this is special)

tgva8889
2010-04-06, 09:36 AM
Though what would drive you to use Hidden Power instead of Dragon Pulse as your Dragon-type attack is beyond me. :smallwink:

If you want to beat Dragons with physical Lucario, use Ice Punch.

Mando Knight
2010-04-06, 11:10 AM
Is it possible to get a Physical dragon-type move on Lucario with out breeding it? Dragon Rush or something like that.

Dragon Pulse, Dragon Claw, Outrage, and Twister are the only always dragon-type attacks that can be taught to non-draconic/kaiju Pokémon (that is, in the Dragon or Monster egg groups, in the No Eggs group that are similar to the Dragon/Monster groups, or are a member of a handful of Pokémon that are used by such trainers despite their egg group. This last group consists pretty much entirely of Aerodactyl, Vibrava, and Flygon due to Lance setting a precedent for 'dactyl use, and Vibrava and Flygon being the only Dragon types that can breed that aren't in the Dragon egg group). Dragon Claw is only outside of that group due to Mew, and Outrage isn't available to Lucario. (The only Pokémon that can learn Outrage that aren't kaiju/dragons are Mew, Mankey/Primeape, and Ampharos) Twister can only be taught to a handful of Pokémon that aren't Mew, dragons, or have wings, and is Special anyway.

Dragon Rush is learned by a microscopic set of Pokémon, and has horrible accuracy anyway. Outside of the Dragon egg group, only Lugia, Aron, and Rhyhorn can learn the move, with the latter two through breeding with a Charizard or Garchomp line Pokémon that knows the move.

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-06, 11:28 AM
Dragon Pulse, Dragon Claw, Outrage, and Twister are the only always dragon-type attacks that can be taught to non-draconic/kaiju Pokémon (that is, in the Dragon or Monster egg groups, in the No Eggs group that are similar to the Dragon/Monster groups, or are a member of a handful of Pokémon that are used by such trainers despite their egg group. This last group consists pretty much entirely of Aerodactyl, Vibrava, and Flygon due to Lance setting a precedent for 'dactyl use, and Vibrava and Flygon being the only Dragon types that can breed that aren't in the Dragon egg group). Dragon Claw is only outside of that group due to Mew, and Outrage isn't available to Lucario. (The only Pokémon that can learn Outrage that aren't kaiju/dragons are Mew, Mankey/Primeape, and Ampharos) Twister can only be taught to a handful of Pokémon that aren't Mew, dragons, or have wings, and is Special anyway.

Dragon Rush is learned by a microscopic set of Pokémon, and has horrible accuracy anyway. Outside of the Dragon egg group, only Lugia, Aron, and Rhyhorn can learn the move, with the latter two through breeding with a Charizard or Garchomp line Pokémon that knows the move.

Youn forgot the effect of Smeargle on all of this. Able to learn any of those dragon type moves, as well as a breeding partner to get dragon rush to Rhyhorn.

Mando Knight
2010-04-06, 11:43 AM
Youn forgot the effect of Smeargle on all of this. Able to learn any of those dragon type moves, as well as a breeding partner to get dragon rush to Rhyhorn.

Smeargle doesn't count, because it's a cheater. :smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2010-04-06, 12:07 PM
Okay, I'm curious.

Are there any pokemon that can't have their IVs chain bred all the way across the 'dex?

Because I've got a Scyther with 31 special attack, and, well...

Not too useful for a Scyther. So, if there's no way to slide that IV over to, I dunno, Blastoise or some such, I'd like to know before I start.

SparkMandriller
2010-04-06, 12:18 PM
Scyther and Blastoise can't breed, so you'll have to breed Scyther with Surskit or something until it inherits the right IV, and then breed that with Blastoise.
But it should work, yeah.

chiasaur11
2010-04-06, 12:26 PM
Scyther and Blastoise can't breed, so you'll have to breed Scyther with Surskit or something until it inherits the right IV, and then breed that with Blastoise.
But it should work, yeah.

Okay, thanks.

Just wanted to be sure a long enough chain could get the abilities around.

Oh, and although I'm not sure, I think I have a Treecko with really good speed and maxed special defense. So, niftyness there.

Mando Knight
2010-04-06, 12:32 PM
Are there any pokemon that can't have their IVs chain bred all the way across the 'dex?

Genderless Pokémon other than Ditto and eggless Pokémon cannot pass their IVs onto any other species.

Jimp
2010-04-06, 01:59 PM
I want to have a 6th pokemon for my team before tackling the elite 4 but can't decide what to take. Here's my current team, all sitting at lvl 50 bar Dragonair who is 51:
Arcanine
Scyther
Gengar
Pupitar
Dragonair
Any suggestions? My team is pretty good for type coverage but I'm seriously missing a water or electric special attacker. Having access to Surf would be a bonus since there always seems to be surfing to do. I have a Vaporeon who I've ev trained in speed but after finishing that stat I realised I don't really like using it.

chiasaur11
2010-04-06, 02:08 PM
I want to have a 6th pokemon for my team before tackling the elite 4 but can't decide what to take. Here's my current team, all sitting at lvl 50 bar Dragonair who is 51:
Arcanine
Scyther
Gengar
Pupitar
Dragonair
Any suggestions? My team is pretty good for type coverage but I'm seriously missing a water or electric special attacker. Having access to Surf would be a bonus since there always seems to be surfing to do. I have a Vaporeon who I've ev trained in speed but after finishing that stat I realised I don't really like using it.

I'm pretty sure that Dragonair can use surf.

So, yeah.

Jimp
2010-04-06, 02:10 PM
Dragonair's moves are already set it stone so that won't be changing. It would still leave me a mon short too.

SparkMandriller
2010-04-06, 02:32 PM
You should fill out your team with another Dragonair.

And you should teach it surf.

Mando Knight
2010-04-06, 03:15 PM
I have a Vaporeon who I've ev trained in speed but after finishing that stat I realised I don't really like using it.

That may be because you're using Vaporeon wrong. Vapes are one of the best bulky water-types: boost HP and defenses, and then give it Aqua Ring and Leftovers and it'll take Lance's Thunder 'nite to take it down before it Ice Beams or Surfs everything to death. Kingdra works almost the same way, but has worse HP in return for harder defenses and an even split on attacks (as well as neutrality towards Grass).

Altaria87
2010-04-06, 03:42 PM
This may be off the current topic of discussion, but I didn't want to start a new thread for something so minor when this one's already here.
I know Altaria's meant to be a walling pokemon, but I'm no good with EVs (but neither, luckily, are the people I play with) but we do tend to use competitive-ish movesets, so how could I improve this offensively-minded Altaria, it's current moveset is:
-Dragon Dance
-Aerial Ace
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
So, should I make a change to it? Am I completely mad and should really just be keeping it as a wall? Should I just use my Tyranitar? (Well the answer to that last one is 'yes', but I'm determined to use Altaria.)

Dihan
2010-04-06, 03:44 PM
That may be because you're using Vaporeon wrong. Vapes are one of the best bulky water-types: boost HP and defenses, and then give it Aqua Ring and Leftovers and it'll take Lance's Thunder 'nite to take it down before it Ice Beams or Surfs everything to death. Kingdra works almost the same way, but has worse HP in return for harder defenses and an even split on attacks (as well as neutrality towards Grass).

I went with Wish, Protect and Toxic on mine to make a bulky, stalling thing. It's cool. :smallbiggrin:

Blue Ghost
2010-04-06, 03:44 PM
Seems like a good moveset. Maybe consider replacing Dragon Claw with Outrage for more power? And I'm not sure about Aerial Ace, but I don't know what you can replace it with.

Mando Knight
2010-04-06, 03:54 PM
This may be off the current topic of discussion, but I didn't want to start a new thread for something so minor when this one's already here.
I know Altaria's meant to be a walling pokemon, but I'm no good with EVs (but neither, luckily, are the people I play with) but we do tend to use competitive-ish movesets, so how could I improve this offensively-minded Altaria, it's current moveset is:
-Dragon Dance
-Aerial Ace
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
So, should I make a change to it? Am I completely mad and should really just be keeping it as a wall?If you don't mind it performing worse than Salamence or Dragonite running the exact same moveset, it'll do fine. However, I'd recommend swapping out Aerial Ace (and possibly Earthquake) for Roost or Fire Blast. Fire Blast smashes into any Skarmory you might find (though double-danced Outrage does that to a lot of things even for Altaria), and Roost lets you heal even when you can't use items. And it improves your defenses against Ice, Electric, and Rock type attacks while making you vulnerable to Earthquake. But what idiot is going to use Earthquake on a known Flying type? :smallwink:
Should I just use my Tyranitar? (Well the answer to that last one is 'yes', but I'm determined to use Altaria.)
Hey, Altaria might be the weakest out of the fully-evolved Dragon types, but it's (for some reason) still a dragon. Altaria functions best as a wall mostly because that's the only way it can go without looking like a Dragonite wannabe.

Altaria87
2010-04-06, 04:04 PM
If you don't mind it performing worse than Salamence or Dragonite running the exact same moveset, it'll do fine. However, I'd recommend swapping out Aerial Ace (and possibly Earthquake) for Roost or Fire Blast. Fire Blast smashes into any Skarmory you might find (though double-danced Outrage does that to a lot of things even for Altaria), and Roost lets you heal even when you can't use items. And it improves your defenses against Ice, Electric, and Rock type attacks while making you vulnerable to Earthquake. But what idiot is going to use Earthquake on a known Flying type? :smallwink:
Hey, Altaria might be the weakest out of the fully-evolved Dragon types, but it's (for some reason) still a dragon. Altaria functions best as a wall mostly because that's the only way it can go without looking like a Dragonite wannabe.
Ok, so, what I should be using looks more like (ones I'll probably use bolded) this?
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Fire Blast/Earthquake/Roost
And, hey, while I'm on the subject of Pokemon I'm re-movesetting, what are your opinions on my Choice Specs Jolteon?:
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Signal Beam
-[Not Sure Yet, possibly Discharge]
It's either this or a Nasty Plot Azelf I have...

Dispozition
2010-04-06, 04:13 PM
Oh, may as well ask for an opinion in here. I'm thinking of my end game team in HG, nothing competitive, just in game and maybe some battles with friends. I have most of them in mind, but not sure on a few.

Haunter/Gengar
Typhlosion
Quagsire
Ariados (not sure on keep it, although mine has a beastly attack stat right now)
???
Skarmory (slot taken by HM bitch until I get one in a trade)

I'm thinking I'm missing lighting and grass, but both those can techincally go to gengar with some breeding (if I can be bothered), and maybe something else but not sure.

Oh, and no quasi or straight up legendaries. I don't roll like that.

Mando Knight
2010-04-06, 04:28 PM
Ok, so, what I should be using looks more like (ones I'll probably use bolded) this?
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Fire Blast/Earthquake/RoostThat works, but I'd personally ensure that Roost is used, since its decent defenses are one of Altaria's main draws combat-wise.

And, hey, while I'm on the subject of Pokemon I'm re-movesetting, what are your opinions on my Choice Specs Jolteon?:
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Signal Beam
-[Not Sure Yet, possibly Discharge]
It's either this or a Nasty Plot Azelf I have...
For this, go with whatever you want in that last slot. Eeveelutions have horribly small movepools... Vaporeon's lucky in that its tiny movepool includes most everything needed for a good bulk 'mon. Talk to the guy that tells you what your Hidden Power type is, since it's one of the few moves that'll round out Jolt's type coverage.

Altaria87
2010-04-06, 04:32 PM
Oh, may as well ask for an opinion in here. I'm thinking of my end game team in HG, nothing competitive, just in game and maybe some battles with friends. I have most of them in mind, but not sure on a few.

Haunter/Gengar
Typhlosion
Quagsire
Ariados (not sure on keep it, although mine has a beastly attack stat right now)
???
Skarmory (slot taken by HM bitch until I get one in a trade)

I'm thinking I'm missing lighting and grass, but both those can techincally go to gengar with some breeding (if I can be bothered), and maybe something else but not sure.

My gut says Donphan or Piloswine/Some other Ice Type. Donphan because it's a good bulky physical tank. And Piloswine/Some other Ice Type because... Well, you know what type the Champion uses right?

Also, thanks for the suggestions Mando :smallsmile:. Hopefully I'll do well against my friend who got Heart Gold at the same time as me but I haven't seen since so we don't know each other's teams until we battle...

Mando Knight
2010-04-06, 04:38 PM
My gut says Donphan or Piloswine/Some other Ice Type. Donphan because it's a good bulky physical tank. And Piloswine/Some other Ice Type because... Well, you know what type the Champion uses right?

Careful. Just because your Ice type has STAB super-effective against Lance doesn't mean you can just throw it out there. Dragonite have massive movepools, and HGSS Lance shows it off in the first battle: one has Outrage while the other two have Dragon Rush, but he's also packing Thunder and Fire Blast in there. Mamoswine (teach Piloswine Ancient Power. This sucker was added to the Johto dex) hates Fire Blast, and Lapras can't take much Thunder. Throw in his Aerodactyl and Charizard, and Ice-types don't dominate the Champ so much anymore. One of your best bets against the guy is Gyarados with Ice Fang, and something else with an ice move to take out his Thunder-nite.

Nate the Snake
2010-04-06, 05:02 PM

Oh good, I'm not the only one.

Talk to the guy that tells you what your Hidden Power type is, since it's one of the few moves that'll round out Jolt's type coverage.

Where can I find this guy?

EDIT: Never mind, my Google-fu found him in Veilstone/Celadon Game Corner.

Mattarias, King.
2010-04-06, 05:12 PM
:smallconfused: Does Dragonite count as a Quasi-legendary? I know he used to, but it seems Salamence took its spot..

..And it's so FRIENDLY.

AlterForm
2010-04-06, 05:19 PM
:smallconfused: Does Dragonite count as a Quasi-legendary? I know he used to, but it seems Salamence took its spot..

..And it's so FRIENDLY.

Assuming I know what Dis is referring to...yes (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pseudo-legendary).

Kris Strife
2010-04-06, 05:19 PM

Edit @down - ah right. I just did a search through his movelist for "dragon", forgot to account for HP.

That figures. :smallsigh: I wanted to take advantage of my Lucario's ridiculous physical attack stat. It switches back and forth between higher than or equal to his hp. :smallbiggrin:

Mattarias, King.
2010-04-06, 05:27 PM
Assuming I know what Dis is referring to...yes (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pseudo-legendary).

I do. And dang. Ah well. I think I'll keep using my friendly orange dinosaur. The rest of my team I believe is mostly UU or NU, anyways, so I suppose it balances out.

Foeofthelance
2010-04-06, 06:20 PM
So I've beaten the Elite Four and started in on the rest of the Gym leaders....and I find myself bored. It's just the same, and running around with Dragonite means little challenge.

So I have decided to restart, using one of the following rules:

1) Raise a Team to 1v1 Red's Pokemon; That is, One grass type to match Venusaur, 1 Fire Type to match Charizard, 1 Water type to match Blastoise, 1 Lapras, 1 Pikachu, and 1 Snorlax, all to face their match, preferably with equal move sets.

2) Solo the game with only 1 pokemon, to be determined by the Playground, but not counting HM slaves. ( I figure two or three of those)

3) Any other suggestions?

Dihan
2010-04-06, 06:22 PM
You should use one of the novelty Pokemon. I personally think Kecleon would be the most interesting to solo with. If you want to suffer then use a Luvdisc! :smallbiggrin:

My vote goes for Kecleon though.

AlterForm
2010-04-06, 06:22 PM
Would the Solo-mon be allowed to use the HM slaves as sacrificial fodder to heal/revive?

Maybe a full eeveelution team? Vaporeon, Flareon, Jolteon, Glaceon, Leafeon, and your choice of Espeon/Umbreon.

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-06, 06:26 PM
So I've beaten the Elite Four and started in on the rest of the Gym leaders....and I find myself bored. It's just the same, and running around with Dragonite means little challenge.

So I have decided to restart, using one of the following rules:

1) Raise a Team to 1v1 Red's Pokemon; That is, One grass type to match Venusaur, 1 Fire Type to match Charizard, 1 Water type to match Blastoise, 1 Lapras, 1 Pikachu, and 1 Snorlax, all to face their match, preferably with equal move sets.

2) Solo the game with only 1 pokemon, to be determined by the Playground, but not counting HM slaves. ( I figure two or three of those)

Species that are generally avoided for the entire team? Try beating the elite four and Red when your team is such that Furret would be considered a powerhouse...

Foeofthelance
2010-04-06, 06:28 PM
No, the HM slaves would have to either be boxed right away before a Gym or other such event. Even if I tried, they wouldn't be leveled up. I would catch other mons, but they would just be tossed in the box.

Ok, and before I get into too much trouble with this: No Magikarp or other 'useless' pokemon. Rattata or something like that is ok, but it at least has to be combat capable.

Dihan
2010-04-06, 06:33 PM
Maybe a full eeveelution team? Vaporeon, Flareon, Jolteon, Glaceon, Leafeon, and your choice of Espeon/Umbreon.

That's what I'm doing except Flareon and Glaceon are the ones I choose between.

Ok, and before I get into too much trouble with this: No Magikarp or other 'useless' pokemon. Rattata or something like that is ok, but it at least has to be combat capable.

So no Kecleon? :smallfrown:

Foeofthelance
2010-04-06, 06:38 PM
Nah, Kecleon is fine, I just need to figure out how to catch and breed one. He's got plenty of damage dealing attacks.

Dihan
2010-04-06, 06:59 PM
Prepare for the cutest thing you'll ever see in the Pokemon anime. Ever!

HERE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgZGTHJGMlU)

D'awwww. :smallbiggrin:

SparkMandriller
2010-04-06, 07:01 PM

Play against people.

CrimsonAngel
2010-04-06, 07:02 PM
Do you guys think it would be cool if someone made a free form roleplaying pokemon game?

Foeofthelance
2010-04-06, 07:04 PM
Play against people.

Eh, that's going to require there be people around. And I don't want to have to deal with all the EV training/uber tiering, etc that comes with the random battles.

@^ Could be fun. What would the restrictions be? I mean, we obviously all can't be starting with level 100 Arceus :smalleek:

Kris Strife
2010-04-06, 07:05 PM
Where do I get the Kanto starters?

Foeofthelance
2010-04-06, 07:07 PM
Beat all 16 gyms, then talk to Oak.

Blue Ghost
2010-04-06, 07:07 PM
Do you guys think it would be cool if someone made a free form roleplaying pokemon game?

I'd take part, until it becomes too hectic (which will be about right away). Go for it.

Kris Strife
2010-04-06, 07:08 PM
Beat all 16 gyms, then talk to Oak.

Already done... He gave me HM 8 and Mt. Silver access.

SparkMandriller
2010-04-06, 07:15 PM
Eh, that's going to require there be people around. And I don't want to have to deal with all the EV training/uber tiering, etc that comes with the random battles.

Well, you've got the internet. Or maybe you don't, I guess. But, if you do, I'm sure you could find someone to play with. Probably a load of people in this thread who haven't bothered with EVs or tiers who'd be willing to play with you, even.

And hey, if you do decide to assemble and train a team for a specific tier, that'd give you something to do, so no boredom, right? Right?

Foeofthelance
2010-04-06, 07:16 PM
Did you have room in the party? That's all I can think of. Bulba said that's where to go.