PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Teleportation and Portable Holes

Segial
2010-04-01, 12:20 PM
If you put someone in a portable hole and then teleport, does he still count as a person for the sake of the limit of the people you can take with you?

jiriku
2010-04-01, 12:29 PM
Nope, because you aren't porting him. You're merely porting the hole, which is a light piece of gear. Your ally is not in the material plane any more - he's in an enclosed non-dimensional space, so he's not a legal target for your teleport anyway, since he's not on the same plane as you.

Optimystik
2010-04-01, 12:30 PM
What jiriku said. You aren't teleporting your companion - spatially, he never moves. You're just teleporting the doorway to his pocket dimension.

Light-Hero
2010-04-01, 12:35 PM
I'm thinking this as if it were a bag of holding.

The bag is on the same plane as you. The bag which is the extration point of your friend, undergoes the same transformation as any other magical, and they are never harmed or altered by teleport. the real problem is what happens happens to people in portable holes, and bags of holding. I guess they are fine hence the conditions of the ropetrick spell.

If the spell is see as an magical effect taking place on the martial, i would as teleporting a summoned creature, which there is nothing against

tyckspoon
2010-04-01, 12:45 PM
the real problem is what happens happens to people in portable holes, and bags of holding. I guess they are fine hence the conditions of the ropetrick spell.

It's dark and there's no air source, which is unpleasant but generally not dangerous for the amount of time required to Teleport somewhere and then climb back out of the Hole.

jiriku
2010-04-01, 01:15 PM
Which is why you use a portable hole with improvements!

A wizard of mine once acquired a portable hole, and I decided to turn it into a portable office. I purchases and installed a 6-foot diameter, 1-inch thick marble disk to use as a floor, then added a 6-foot diameter, 10-foot high cylinder of mahogany paneling for walls, with handholds for climbing in and out. I tossed in a continual light spell for illumination and used lesser planar binding to bind an air elemental to keep the air fresh (and also provide air-conditioning when needed). Then I added a workdesk, an overstuffed chair and some floor-to-ceiling shelving and storage containers to store spellbooks, loot, excess adventuring gear, etc. Hooks on the walls provided me with attachment points for a silken hammock to sleep in. I also crafted a homunculus, dressed him in a tiny little suit, named him Jeeves, and tasked him with sorting and filing all of the random crap we looted and shoved into the hole while adventuring. All in all, it was a pretty nice pad.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-01, 01:22 PM
Which is why you use a portable hole with improvements!

A wizard of mine once acquired a portable hole, and I decided to turn it into a portable office. I purchases and installed a 6-foot diameter, 1-inch thick marble disk to use as a floor, then added a 6-foot diameter, 10-foot high cylinder of mahogany paneling for walls, with handholds for climbing in and out. I tossed in a continual light spell for illumination and used lesser planar binding to bind an air elemental to keep the air fresh (and also provide air-conditioning when needed). Then I added a workdesk, an overstuffed chair and some floor-to-ceiling shelving and storage containers to store spellbooks, loot, excess adventuring gear, etc. Hooks on the walls provided me with attachment points for a silken hammock to sleep in. I also crafted a homunculus, dressed him in a tiny little suit, named him Jeeves, and tasked him with sorting and filing all of the random crap we looted and shoved into the hole while adventuring. All in all, it was a pretty nice pad.

Any LE, LN, or NE character can pay 8K to get an Enveloping Pit. Anyone with sufficient ranks in UMD can also use this pit.

Think Portable Hole, but 50ft deep. And you can put multiple holes inside each other, thus making it even deeper. In other words, you can build an inverted skyscraper for 8K/5 floors, or about 1600gp/10*10*10 floor. You can leave the holes open.

Theoretically, it's possible to build a portable city/dungeon with this, provided the inhabitants have Sleight Build. Meaning this is the perfect Kobold Lair.

jiriku
2010-04-01, 03:44 PM
OMG! I could build a portable apartment complex! Squeeeeee!

Keld Denar
2010-04-01, 03:52 PM
Would that make you a portable slum lord?

jiriku
2010-04-01, 04:05 PM
My next character is totally going to be a kobold slum lord who keeps making odd references to the tenement he runs, and explains his occasional disappearances as "It's the first of the month. I was off collecting rent." I will take leadership and put all my followers in my portable tenement, and refuse to perform maintainance on their homes too.

Light-Hero
2010-04-02, 11:08 AM
And if they didn't pay you could just toss the hole in the ocean and drown every last one of them for not paying. That would be evil. Because nothing can crawl out of a portable hole. Maybe one can plane shift out of there????.
Then to me it seems that the best trap to place your immortal demon lord of world destruction would be in a portable hole.

Storage
Office
Apartment complex
Prison

A portable hole is a crafty thing

Radar
2010-04-02, 11:20 AM
Any LE, LN, or NE character can pay 8K to get an Enveloping Pit. Anyone with sufficient ranks in UMD can also use this pit.

Think Portable Hole, but 50ft deep. And you can put multiple holes inside each other, thus making it even deeper. In other words, you can build an inverted skyscraper for 8K/5 floors, or about 1600gp/10*10*10 floor. You can leave the holes open.

Theoretically, it's possible to build a portable city/dungeon with this, provided the inhabitants have Sleight Build. Meaning this is the perfect Kobold Lair.
Cool!
1. Where is this Enveloping Pit from?
2. Why it's for LN, LE, NE only?

jiriku
2010-04-02, 12:30 PM
1) Magic Item Compendium
2) It's a relic. Of a kobold god.