PDA

View Full Version : The Familiar Background [Exalted]

Fortuna
2010-04-01, 02:17 PM
What exactly does this do? The description is only in the most general terms. If I have five dots in it, then can I have a Great Cat with all the abilities described, and ride it around?

The Rose Dragon
2010-04-01, 02:22 PM
It doesn't do much that is really worth it. It gives you a slightly boosted animal who follows you around and you should never command into a serious battle.

If you want a slightly improved version, you should try the Legendary Familiars (which, despite the name, is not a Legendary background) in Scroll of Heroes, which boosts them quite a bit more.

Also, you can just use the previous threads to ask your Exalted questions. You don't have to open a new one for every single query.

Swooper
2010-04-01, 03:15 PM
Maybe there should be Q&A threads for more systems than just D&D 3.5/4E?

The Rose Dragon
2010-04-01, 03:16 PM
There are. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123432)

Note the "Other Systems" part.

Swooper
2010-04-01, 03:43 PM
Ah :smallredface: Missed that bit. It's not pinned anymore for some reason so I didn't see it at the top of the first page when I looked.

nargbop
2010-04-01, 06:10 PM
In core Exalted, Familiar is not a strong background. For powergaming purposes, Artifact and Ally are better. That being said, you can work a lot of story around a powerful familiar.

Additionally, if you are playing with a DM who actually has the Dynasts notice the man with the pet rockodile, you are in trouble. Giant animal friend = conspicuous.