PDA

View Full Version : Statting a Living city/construct.

krossbow
2010-04-01, 05:25 PM
Wondering, any information or precedents to work with if you want to make a mechanical construct that's also a city?

was looking at Aleksandor from Final fantasy the other day, and was thinking that a Living mechanical city would make for a great capital for outsiders.

However, unless its either composed of multiple different beings or Made up of nothing but cottages, I can't think of a way to make its CR not ridiculous.

Any information would be appreciated.

HunterOfJello
2010-04-01, 05:28 PM
Would it be similar to a Zeitgeist? A Zeitgeist is a kind of fey from Cityscape that grows as part of a city and manifests itself at times when the city is under attack. The zeitgeist is fueled by the emotions of the populace of the city and is quite strong.

Stronghold Builder's Guide and Cityscape would give you the best information on city ideas.

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-01, 05:30 PM
Wondering, any information or precedents to work with if you want to make a mechanical construct that's also a city?

was looking at Aleksandor from Final fantasy the other day, and was thinking that a Living mechanical city would make for a great capital for outsiders.

However, unless its either composed of multiple different beings or Made up of nothing but cottages, I can't think of a way to make its CR not ridiculous.

Any information would be appreciated.

I don't know that you'd need/want to stat such a thing. Description alone will go a long way.

obnoxious
sig

Jacque
2010-04-01, 05:33 PM
The Dark Elves in the Scarred Lands setting live underground in a city which burrows and thus moves. The city is made of sentient buildings which deconstructs and constructs itself whenever necessary. It also awakens in case of city defense.

The sourcebook would be: Burok Torn - City Under Siege.

nargbop
2010-04-01, 06:01 PM
There is a living plane in the canon; I believe it's from Manual of the Planes. You can look there for inspiration.
Items :
1. Of course, you would not want anyone to be able to kill the city, except with a Massive Plot McGuffin.
2. City should be able to communicate w/ party and others. It's up to you how - golem avatars, illusions freely projected, the walls themselves speak...
3. City should be able to move at least part of itself. I would make it so that individual house-size parts could be animated at once as Colossal Animate Objects. The Monster Manual describes combat stats for these.
4. Why is it there, who made it, why is it STILL there when it's such a tasty target?
5. Who lives there and what are they doing there?

Kaiyanwang
2010-04-01, 06:08 PM
Try to trasnform this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/geniusLoci.htm) in a construct. Maybe could work.

IonDragon
2010-04-01, 06:47 PM
Try to trasnform this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/geniusLoci.htm) in a construct. Maybe could work.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe give it some natural AC though because it's got an AC of 0. Like 30-40 or something if it's only the city, maybe a little less if it's the city and surrounding hill or something. Alternatively, the DR of stone would also be a good idea.

Asbestos
2010-04-01, 06:58 PM

Are you planning on having the party fight the city itself?

Dragonmech, btw, has massive 'city mechs', which will work if you want a city that can walk and punch.

krossbow
2010-04-01, 07:02 PM
I don't know that you'd need/want to stat such a thing. Description alone will go a long way.

obnoxious
sig

Basically, A moving city who's various parts are supported by movable collumns underneath stretching to the ground, with the entireity of the city controlled by a single consciousness, and the area being able to be shifted (streets raised/lowered, areas rotated) at its discretion.

Think something like this
http://www.freewebs.com/dragonemperor000/Bahamut%20vs%20Alexander.jpg

But on a large scale.