PDA

View Full Version : Faeline (3.5)

Lappy9000
2010-04-01, 07:36 PM
Faeline
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/061/2/0/209f34f4fe8495cd726c42c95c590dd8.jpg
-Image by Dragoil (http://dragoil.deviantart.com/).
Inspired by my misconception of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8162840) thread.

In the mystical realms of Catnymph lives an elusive race of fey known to mortals as faelines. Sprightly and playful fairies, the faelines often masquerade as the common house cats of humans and other beings. Notably different from their cousins, the lynxies, faelines embrace the playful aspect of cat-like personas, instead of the mischevious and often malevolent intentions of the lynxies. On common terms with the ocelelves and tigerens, the Chaotic interests of the faelines make their merry catvorts among the wildest in the fairy realm.

Personality: Faelines edge towards playful and energetic moods followed by long and luxurious naps. As most fey, faelines experience exaggerated emotions and seem to maintain a continuously upbeat and cheerful attitude, even in the midst of danger.

Physical Description: Appearing as up-right standing cats, faelines are lithe and agile creatures, given even greater prowess in such acrobatic feats through the help of their wings. Despite their habit of being easily mislead through illusions and other effects, faelines are capable of utilizing their athletics in their favor, and tend to take less damage from blows than most.

Faelines normally stand around 2-2½ feet in height and often weigh about 20 pounds. Sporting butterfly-like wings and many sensitive whiskers throughout their bodies, faelines have extremely soft fur in warm colors such as pink, orange, or gold. While most prefer to live unclothed, faelines feel no qualms about wearing armor or equipment and regularly make sure that such items are ornate and especially shiny. Jewelry is very common among faelines, especially bright gems, and are often held in necklaces or armlets of precious metals.

Alignment: Despite their good-natured attitudes faelines are free and wild first and foremost. Faelines are always Chaotic, with an equal division between Good and Neutrality.

Faeline Lands: The youngest of the faelines spend their years dancing and playing eternally in the realms of the fey in their faerie realm. The faelines of the mortal world are often adventurers or tricksters who enjoy tricking or helping mortals in their everyday lives. While they don't hold any lands of their own, Faelines can be found (disguised or else) throughout human, elf, and gnome lands most commonly.

Religion: Faelines embrace Chaos and often pay homage to Couggles (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116099), but those who are as Good as they are wild worship Leoparddles the Cat Brother (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116099).

Language: Faelines speak Slyvan, the language of the fey, but crafty faelines have been known to pick up Common or Elven most often.

Faeline Racial Traits
-4 Strength, +2 Dexterity
Fey Type: Faelines are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
Small Size: As a Small creature, a faeline gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Base Land Speed: 20 feet, but increases to 30 feet when the faeline moves on all fours. Faelines also have a fly speed of 20 feet (good)
Low-light vision: Faelines can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Eaisly Distracted: Faelines are quick to lose their focus when it comes to bright dazzling lights or colors. If a faeline looks directly at a spell that produces bright light or a stream of colors, she must make a Will save equal to 10 + the level of the spell or try to attack the effect of the spell (if the spell is part of the Illusion school), or become dazed. A faeline that successfully saves cannot be affected by the same spell for 24 hours.
Athletic: +4 racial bonus on Climb and Jump checks.
Nimble: +2 racial bonus on Balance checks.
Fey Spirit: A faeline has Damage Reduction 1/cold iron which increases by 1 every 5 levels (DR 2 at 5th level, DR 3 at 10th level, DR 4 at 15th level, DR 5 at 20th level).
Change Shape (Su): A faeline can assume the shape of a common house cat as a standard action. In cat form, a faeline cannot wield weapons or wear armor.
Automatic Languages: Slyvan. Bonus Languages: Auran, Common, Elven, and Gnome.
Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass faeline's rogue class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
LA: +0

Table: Random Height and Weight
{table=head]Race | Base Height | Height Modifier | Base Weight | Weight Modifier
Faeline, Male |
2'0" |
+2d4" |
15 lb. |
x 1 lb.

Faeline, Female |
1'9" |
+2d4" |
15 lb. |
x 1 lb.[/Table]

Table: Aging Effects
{table=head]Race | Adulthood | Middle Age 1 | Old Age 2 | Venerable 3 | Maximum Age
Faeline |
5 years |
40 years |
80 years |
160 years |
+2d10 years[/table]

1 At middle age, -1 to Str, Con, and Dex; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.
2 At old age, -2 to Str, Con, and Dex; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.
3 At venerable age, -3 to Str, Con, and Dex; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.

Zexion
2010-04-01, 08:22 PM
Perhaps make the Damage Reduction from Fey Spirit rely on age instead of total levels?

Obrysii
2010-04-01, 08:36 PM
Change Shape (Su): A faeline can assume the shape of a common house cat as a standard action. In cat form, a faeline wield weapons or wear armor.

Huh?

They can wield weapons in cat form?

Zexion
2010-04-01, 08:43 PM
Huh?

They can wield weapons in cat form?

Obviously, because it's funny.
If it was a typo, don't fix it.

Lappy9000
2010-04-01, 09:03 PM
Oh yeah, it's fixed :smallamused:

And Zexion, the DR by age is interesting, but probably won't see as much play as the per level. What was the reasoning behind the DR by age?

Zexion
2010-04-01, 09:06 PM
And Zexion, the DR by age is interesting, but probably won't see as much play as the per level. What was the reasoning behind the DR by age?

Well, at level 20, having DR 4/iron is worth about two feats. If you make it by age, you can also throw in some wicked aging penalties and have it balance out as LA +0.

arguskos
2010-04-01, 09:13 PM
Well, at level 20, having DR 4/iron is worth about two feats. If you make it by age, you can also throw in some wicked aging penalties and have it balance out as LA +0.
DR 4/Cold Iron isn't worth ONE feat, much less TWO. Considering how trivial it is to beat that at level 5, much less level 20, it's practically a throw-in racial ability.

Lappy9000
2010-04-01, 09:25 PM
Yeah, it's pretty much just a nice, fluffy little bauble of racial traits. It also scales a bit, which is a thing I really like in races.

Zexion
2010-04-01, 09:32 PM
DR 4/Cold Iron isn't worth ONE feat, much less TWO. Considering how trivial it is to beat that at level 5, much less level 20, it's practically a throw-in racial ability.

Still, aging penalties aren't even detailed here. I think that it should get a little more detail.

Lappy9000
2010-04-01, 09:57 PM
Still, aging penalties aren't even detailed here. I think that it should get a little more detail.The faelines were pretty much made as a joke, but if someone is interested, I'll gladly expand the entry (I was originally just gonna throw these into the old thread, but I'd feel like I was thread-jacking)

Jack of Spades
2010-04-01, 10:58 PM
Do it. In all honesty (and no offense intended to anyone) I enjoy whimsical cat fairies over random furries any day :smallamused:

Also, the art is in itself a reason for this thread to live forever, in my mind. :smallbiggrin:

Anonymouswizard
2010-04-03, 03:43 AM
The faelines were pretty much made as a joke, but if someone is interested, I'll gladly expand the entry (I was originally just gonna throw these into the old thread, but I'd feel like I was thread-jacking)

DO it , do it, do it!!

I might make a few cat-faerie spells while I'm at it. Like summon cat swarm and other humorous and playful spells (many requiring balls of string).

Lappy9000
2010-04-03, 11:39 AM
Expansions complete! I'm gonna work on the sub-race of Lynxies and maybe some other stuff. I've heard some spell ideas? Feats? Items? Feel free to gimme anything you've got!

Cat Pantheon referenced for awesomeness :smallamused:

Edit: Age, Height, and Weight tables added in.

Anonymouswizard
2010-04-04, 06:36 AM
Summon Cat I
Conjuration (Summoning) [see text]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One summoned creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You immediately summon 1 1st level or lynxie Faeline warrior to fight along your side. The Faeline can be armed with either a londsword and shield, two short swords, a longspear, a shortspear and shield, a longbow with 40 arrows, as well as leather armour.
Focus: a ball of string and a piece of fish.

Summon Cat II
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Effect: One or more summoned creatures

You immediately summon 1 level 3 or 1d3 1st level lynxie or Faeline warriors to fight along your side. They are as described in Summon Cat I.

Summon Cat III
Level: Sor/Wiz 3

You immediately summon 1 level 5, 1d3 level 3, or 1d4+1 1st level lynxie or Faeline warriors to fight along your side. They are as described in Summon Cat I.

Summon Cat IV
Level: Sor/Wiz 4

You immediately summon 1 level 7, 1d3 level 5, or 1d4+1 3rd level lynxie or Faeline warriors to fight along your side. They are as described in Summon Cat I.

Summon Cat V
Level: Sor/Wiz 5

You immediately summon 1 level 9, 1d3 level 7, or 1d4+1 5th level lynxie or Faeline warriors to fight along your side. They are as described in Summon Cat I.

Summon Cat VI
Level: Sor/Wiz 6

You immediately summon 1 level 11, 1d3 level 9, or 1d4+1 7th level lynxie or Faeline warriors to fight along your side. They are as described in Summon Cat I.

Summon Cat VII
Level: Sor/Wiz 7

You immediately summon 1 level 13, 1d3 level 11, or 1d4+1 9th level lynxie or Faeline warriors to fight along your side. They are as described in Summon Cat I.

Summon Cat VIII
Level: Sor/Wiz 8

You immediately summon 1 level 15, 1d3 level 13, or 1d4+1 11th level lynxie or Faeline warriors to fight along your side. They are as described in Summon Cat I.

Summon Cat IX
Level: Sor/Wiz 9

You immediately summon 1 level 17, 1d3 level 15, or 1d4+1 13th level lynxie or Faeline warriors to fight along your side. They are as described in Summon Cat I.

Debihuman
2010-04-09, 09:40 AM
Considering the other bonuses, the flight would put it at LA +1.