PDA

View Full Version : Natural Attacks SUPPLANTS weapon attacks?

Loki Eremes
2010-04-01, 09:56 PM
hi there.

ive got this doubt: if im using...lets say... two short swords, and i cast some spell that give me claws...

would i be able to still use my swords?

Ranos
2010-04-01, 10:00 PM
Yes, unless the spell effect specifically says you can't. Your natural attacks are considered secondary though, and get the usual -5 to attack. Your sword attacks get no maluses.

Keld Denar
2010-04-01, 10:00 PM
You can only use natural weapons if you have free hands to do so. Thus, you can't use your claws if they are holding swords.

Loki Eremes
2010-04-01, 10:10 PM
what i am worried about is if i can still use my swords without having to drop them because of my claws.

the Spell is: "Bite of the Weretiger" (spell compendium)

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-01, 10:10 PM
You can only use natural weapons if you have free hands to do so. Thus, you can't use your claws if they are holding swords.Close. You can't use natural attacks if the limbs that you use to make those attacks aren't free.

You can't make a claw attack with a hand holding a sword, and you can't make a bite attack if your mouth is full (except against whatever is in your mouth). So if you have two claw attacks, and one of those limbs is holding a sword, you can make one claw attack and however many sword attacks you can make in a round (as well as whatever other natural attacks you have, such as a bite and a tail slap).

Keep in mind that any round you attack with a manufactured weapon, all natural attacks you make are secondary natural attacks, even if they'd otherwise be made with a primary natural weapon.

To summarize: A 6th level thri-kreen that attacks unarmed would make 4 primary claw attacks and one secondary bite attack (at a -5 to hit), but that same thri-kreen that wields a long sword would attack with the sword at +6/+1, and with 3 claws and 1 bite (all at -5 as secondary weapons).

Keld Denar
2010-04-01, 10:29 PM
what i am worried about is if i can still use my swords without having to drop them because of my claws.

the Spell is: "Bite of the Weretiger" (spell compendium)

Clawed hands are still able to hold the swords, so you would not be required to drop them, no.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-01, 10:34 PM
Clawed hands are still able to hold the swords, so you would not be required to drop them, no.Well, you would if you actually wanted to use the claws holding the sword. Y'know, as a claw attack.