PDA

View Full Version : Light 'blindness'

Admiral Squish
2010-04-01, 11:18 PM
Okay, I was looking around and I realized light 'blindness' as they call it, is one round of suck followed by a -1 penalty to attack rolls. -1. That's it. Light sensitivity is just the -1. Really? These are creatures of the night, supposed to hiss and recoil in pain at the light of the sun. Not be barely inconvenienced. What is this crap?

BRC
2010-04-01, 11:19 PM
You fail to understand the implications of one round of suck. Alot can happen in one round.

SSGoW
2010-04-01, 11:21 PM
1 round of suck means that the fighter, wizard, rogue, and cleric has the upper hand ^ - ^ Almost as good as having a suprise round :D

Admiral Squish
2010-04-01, 11:46 PM
Well, yeah, if you encounter them underground or at night and suddenly whip out the daylight spells. But I'm saying, a creature with light blindness could go out and be pretty much perfectly fine in the sunlight, after the initial round.

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-02, 12:33 AM
Okay, I was looking around and I realized light 'blindness' as they call it, is one round of suck followed by a -1 penalty to attack rolls. -1. That's it. Light sensitivity is just the -1. Really? These are creatures of the night, supposed to hiss and recoil in pain at the light of the sun. Not be barely inconvenienced. What is this crap?

Drow are sort of different from vampires

Exposing any vampire to direct sunlight disorients it: It can take only a single move action or attack action and is destroyed utterly in the next round if it cannot escape.

EDIT: And technically, casting a daylight spell on them while they're outside will still cause blindness.

Malificus
2010-04-02, 12:42 AM
Plus it's not like they have it easy above ground

Every morning at sunrise it's "WHY DOES IT KEEP DOING THAT?" as the sun disorients them on yet another morning. They can NEVER adjust to it fully. Heck, going into a basement and back out is just as bad. Clouds cover the sun for a little while, and the moment they part, it's started all over again.

Gaiyamato
2010-04-02, 04:56 AM
Daylight Adaptaion feat. Problem solved. lol.
Or buy a pair of Sun Lenses from the Desertstorm book.

Endure Sunlight for those vampires.

But yeah, that first round can be painful if it happens during a fight or just before. I do get what your saying though. If the Orc/whatever gets the blindness out of the way first then -1 is not a huge penalty.

Tetsubo 57
2010-04-02, 05:16 AM
I have to agree that one round of suck seems underwhelming.

Let me explain: I am diabetic and suffer from retinopathy. Which basicly means that the blood vessels in my retinas bleed. Which could blind me. To combat this, I have had six laser procedures done. I don't recommend them. And it has had side effects. I have lost some night vision but equally as annoying I am having contrast issues. If I walk out into bright light, I am effectively blind. And my ability to tell things apart that are of a similar reflective value has been greatly reduced. Sunglasses are my friend.

I imagine this is what happens to an underdweller on the surface world. After my personal experiences I am inclined to increase the blindness period and the penalty.

Skaven
2010-04-02, 09:05 PM
Many combats can pretty much be decided in the first round. A wizard, Sorcerer or even a Druid or Cleric can pretty much lock down a battlefield or essentialy end it right then and there.

Its no trivial matter.

Fortunately, it can be trivially solved by wearing a 10gp pair of sundark goggles.

Greenish
2010-04-02, 09:08 PM
But yeah, that first round can be painful if it happens during a fight or just before. I do get what your saying though. If the Orc/whatever gets the blindness out of the way first then -1 is not a huge penalty.Orcs don't have light blindness though.