PDA

View Full Version : Stupid stupid stupid

desmond1323
2010-04-02, 12:51 AM
I had it. I had the chance to really screw with my players, revenge for last week's session where they all got so distracted we only had ONE BATTLE....with the perfect excuse of April Fools'...and I BLEW it.

Maybe it was the rush to get this test of my homebrew class over with.

Maaaaybe it was the blueberry vodka. But that's too awesome to actually be a cause of distress, so I'ma say no.

So now I need a better lead up....some sort of induced nightmare/hallucination type deal terrifying the party.

But now I can't take as many liberties as I could. So a little help, perhaps?

I've got a party of level fifteens I need to push around a bit, but in a playful, "they won't get ticked at me" way...but I want something a little better than just a typical illusionist bit. Something a little bit beyond just a will save.

So gimme some suggestions on a big bad who can turn these guys against themselves in some sort of dreamlike sequence. All DnD 3n5 is open, sans Tome of Battle as I don't use it.

I don't really mind how powerful the guy is, as in this bit I probably won't have them actually fight him/her/it/etc. ...getting out of the mind screw will be victory enough.

absolmorph
2010-04-02, 12:59 AM
Killer Gnome. Have them transported to the Plane of Shadows :smallamused:

Dante & Vergil
2010-04-02, 01:04 AM
Mind Screw and illusions? Sounds like Aizen Sosuke. Other than that, I have nothing to add.

desmond1323
2010-04-02, 01:06 AM
Killer Gnome. Have them transported to the Plane of Shadows :smallamused:

It's amazing how many times something similiar to this has basically been brought up...accross several groups and several years. How odd! Maybe it's time to take up the offer.

Mind Screw and illusions? Sounds like Aizen Sosuke. Other than that, I have nothing to add.

I know three members of my group who would get the reference and go crazy right now, probably....but sadly, I do not, heh. Thanks anyways.

krossbow
2010-04-02, 01:24 AM
Have them be transported to a plane wherein a lonely figure if held captive by the "evil XXXX". Have said figure implore them for their help in finding a way out of its imprisonment and give them a sob story.

Then have them go on a grand adventure, storming an evil citadel full of horrid eldritch abominations. Then have them have a dispel magic/remove curse spell cast at them after slaying all the horrid things before them to realize everything they'd been seeing was an illusion and they'd just slaughtered their way through a temple of pelor or other some other good aligned location (orphans! good for hours of fun!)

BobVosh
2010-04-02, 01:28 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5496158

Joker bard is a pretty good way to screw with your players.

Killer gnome is always fun as mentioned.

Blue Slaad Mage of the Unseen Hand is hilarious.

desmond1323
2010-04-02, 02:00 AM
Then have them have a dispel magic/remove curse spell cast at them after slaying all the horrid things before them to realize everything they'd been seeing was an illusion and they'd just slaughtered their way through a temple of pelor or other some other good aligned location (orphans! good for hours of fun!)

I like this idea...the consequnces will have to be thought out though, definitely keep it in mind!

[url]
Joker bard is a pretty good way to screw with your players.

This...I stumbled upon it and have been thinking of using it in some form or fashion for a while now. Thanks for the reminder.

Greenish
2010-04-02, 04:17 AM
I like this idea...the consequnces will have to be thought out though, definitely keep it in mind!In the Plane of Shadows, the tourist season never ends.

Gaiyamato
2010-04-02, 04:41 AM
Better than the plane of shadows... nightmare realms from Heroes of Horror.

Lord Loss
2010-04-02, 05:43 AM
I second the Nightmare realms (if you have the book. Get them uber frustrated, then throw in something plot relevant, then wake them up).

hamishspence
2010-04-02, 06:13 AM
In the Plane of Shadows, the tourist season never ends.

On Material Plane- you have shadow.

On Plane of Shadow- Shadow has you!

:smallbiggrin:

Dust
2010-04-02, 07:08 AM
Fill in all of the players except for one. Only that 'one' is the butt of the revenge, the one having the dream sequence. The rest of the players act as if everything is normal, both IC and out. Though their characters seem to all be conspiring against the one PC.....

They're trapped somewhere. Food runs out. Options are considered and nobody trusts one another. They all start sneaking glances at the unfortunate PC, talking quietly to one another that, well, if someone has to self-sacrifice......

The PC wakes up the following morning missing a leg.

Vaecae
2010-04-03, 01:00 PM
Depends on how severe you want the illusion to be. There's an old stand by of something that's there at night but seems normal in daylight. The old vanishing island trick, only not restricted to the ocean. I did something like that in a swamp with a mysterious hotel my group came across. I blame the song Hotel California, it was what spawned the whole encounter.

Extra points if you can tool the encounter to turn only one or two people against the group without the other's knowing. Let them trust in nothing, everything they saw before was wrong, or somehow twisted. Then if they survive till dawn most of the remaining enemies either retreat from the sun or turn back to how they were before. Double concequences if the enemies don't know what they turn into during the dark of night, or it's against their will. It can lead to the party having to free more then just themselves.

Nero24200
2010-04-03, 02:29 PM
You could always go for the Dallas ending and make the last two games of the campaign a dream :P

IonDragon
2010-04-03, 02:30 PM
Have them accidentally wander into Silent Hill.

After you kill them all they wake up in the inn in a cold sweat.

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-03, 04:34 PM
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE!

:smallwink: