PDA

View Full Version : I am getting on a plane!

Pika...
2010-04-02, 05:08 AM
They are getting mad because I am not getting on the plane!!!

ps. Did I mention I am terrified of heights? >.>

Comet
2010-04-02, 05:13 AM
Funny fact: You don't really feel like you're that high when you're on a plane. At least if you don't look out the window and not even then if you're above cloud level.

That's how it is for me, anyways. Planes are fun :smallsmile:

Deca
2010-04-02, 05:22 AM
>_>

<_<

"I have mother****ing had it with these mother****ing Pika's on my mother****ing PLANE!"

It had to be done.

rakkoon
2010-04-02, 05:24 AM
Get on it! It's for a good cause!

Eldan
2010-04-02, 05:44 AM
Well, I'm enormously terrified of heights. And by that I mean that I start shaking when I'm standing on a chair. Or at the top of a flight of stairs.

But planes? You don't notice you are high up! At least for me, it's not a problem.

Emperor Ing
2010-04-02, 05:49 AM
Just stay away from the windows and you'll be fine, and even then you won't feel like you're high up. I've been on plenty of planes, and even though I don't have a major fear of heights looking out the window doesn't give me the same thrill as looking over a balcony two stories up.

thubby
2010-04-02, 05:50 AM
get some sleep aids. you can't be anxious when you're unconscious.

BooNL
2010-04-02, 05:57 AM
Planes are awesome, you won't regret it.

Just don't watch the Twilight Zone or Con Air the night before...

Edit: Leslie Neilson's Airplane! is fine though.

Makensha
2010-04-02, 07:57 AM
Chew gum to help with the ear compression. Otherwise, just avoid windows and distract yourself with something.

Eon
2010-04-02, 08:03 AM
listen to music, play a game, close your eyes.

That's how I used to handle it.

The Rose Dragon
2010-04-02, 08:06 AM
Fear of heights is a silly thing. It's falling from a high place that you should fear. And falling from plane is much harder than other heights.

Also, you do realize that, like, 97% of your topics should be posted in Random Banter instead.

Dogmantra
2010-04-02, 08:09 AM
I hope you don't get terrible travel sickness like myself. I will echo what Makensha said: chew something, gum, Mentos, anything. It also helps to take your mind off the travelling. Also, try to watch the in-flight film or do something that takes up your attention without being too much of a strain (I can't read on planes, and I know lots of people can't, for example). I recently went to Fuertaventura and I was much worse on the way there, when I tried to sleep rather than the way back when I watched the film. It wasn't very good though. :smallwink:

Lord Loss
2010-04-02, 08:58 AM
Bring a good book, or a pen & paper. Keeping yourself occupied helps. Also, bring gum for takeoff/landing.

I am terrified of planes myself, but that's what I do. As long as I'm not thinking about the fact that I'm on a plane, I can forget about it If there's no turbulence...Besides, It'll be fun! (Sorta...). Once you get off, you're so relieved you DID IT! It's really not that bad!

waterpenguin43
2010-04-02, 09:01 AM
I'm scared of heights (Among a lot of other things) too. But on planes, you will feel litlle danger of flying. Pilots are trained especially hard for this sort of thing. They don't even panic when the plane starts to crash. Everything will be okay.

onasuma
2010-04-02, 09:20 AM
I have a promise from my father that he'll never make me get on a plane again, ever. There is nothing in the world I hate as much as planes (and the using thereof).

Egiam
2010-04-02, 11:15 AM
I'm scared of heights (Among a lot of other things) too. But on planes, you will feel litlle danger of flying. Pilots are trained especially hard for this sort of thing. They don't even panic when the plane starts to crash. Everything will be okay.

^ Correct.

When passenger planes crash, they don't spiral towards the ground in flames like they do in the movies. Even if the engine doesn't work, planes are designed to be able to glide.

If you use an MP3 player/ipod/small CD player/record player, bring it along, and invest in some good headphones. The noise of an airplane makes regular earbuds not fun at all.

New book?

Last trip I took (A while ago), I spent two hours writing down RPG ideas.

The gum idea is good.

Bring your own food. Airplane food is bad.

Even though it is kind of bulky, my mothery takes her own pillow on overnight flights. She takes the window seat when possible, and props it up against the wall. Her pillow isn't some compact, cheap, inflatable thing. She brings her fancy down pillow.

Mando Knight
2010-04-02, 11:55 AM

It's safer than driving. And most of the time, the pilot doesn't even need to touch the controls.

Unless you've managed to book a ride on a fighter jet. Those are another, more badass story entirely.

Thajocoth
2010-04-02, 12:04 PM
As long as it's not an infinite featureless plane, you should be fine.

Bhu
2010-04-02, 12:13 PM
The FAA is now allowing pilots to take anti-depressants. Fear of flying is a reasonable thing...

IsaacTheHungry
2010-04-02, 12:27 PM
Have you tried taking the train? I tried it not too long ago and i liked it. Of course i prefer to fly.

I know people who only take the train.

LCR
2010-04-02, 12:33 PM
When passenger planes crash, they don't spiral towards the ground in flames like they do in the movies. Even if the engine doesn't work, planes are designed to be able to glide.

If you're already squeamish about flying, you should not read the following:

Um, yeah. This kind of depends on what happens. If all engines fail at the same time without major fires or explosions, planes are technically able to glide. Technically. The gliding ratio (don't know the English word for it, it's the ratio of miles propelled forward per mile of altitude lost) is very, very small, which makes it crazy hard to actually land the plane (it's been done, though).
And yes, airtravel is safer in that fewer accidents happen. But while a lot of car accidents are very survivable, if something major happens on a flight (and this doesn't have to be as dramatic as loss of structural integrity, loss of airspeed indicators can be just as bad), you're screwed. It does happen very rarely, though.

Anyway, since this'll be your first flight, there are some useful things to know about airtravel:
- if you do bring your own food, make sure it does not smell horribly
- if you choose an aisle seat, be prepared to stand up a lot and let people pass. If you plan on popping a couple of pills and sleep through the flight, take the window seat. If you don't have a choice and end up on an aisle seat, don't sleep through the whole flight and DO NOT TAKE SLEEPING PILLS (this cannot be stressed enough)
- ask the person behind you before reclining your seat and be prepared to take no for an answer
- do not applaud after landing
- if your flight is overbooked, airlines will offer coupons to passenger willing to give up their seat. The following strategy can be risky, but very rewarding: Don't go for their offer right away, but try to get an upgrade out of it. While the coupons can be very nice, flying business class is even nicer (especially on long flights). Oftentimes, you'll end up with no coupons and economy class, though, because enough passengers are willing to give up their seats before the airline becomes desperate enough to offer free upgrades
- be nice to flight attendants, you're at their mercy
- don't get drunk.

On a special note, I kind of like airline food. It tastes like travelling.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-04-02, 12:58 PM
- do not applaud after landing

Aside from the fact that it annoys me when other people do it, is there a specific reason for this?

Pika...
2010-04-02, 01:03 PM
Hey, I am here!

I was hyperventilated on the first trip/plane...

It went well, though.

I am curious, though. Are there any local Flags here, or local players/members to hang out with here while they are at work?

Shas aia Toriia
2010-04-02, 01:12 PM
I am curious, though. Are there any local Flags here, or local players/members to hang out with here while they are at work?

Where are you?

Emperor Ing
2010-04-02, 01:14 PM
His other thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147608) says he's in Philadelphia.

Sorry, don't live anywhere near the Philly area.

Pika...
2010-04-02, 01:19 PM
Where are you?

Oops, sorry. The guy below you is right.

Johel
2010-04-02, 02:05 PM
Planes are boring.

Nothing to do but read a book, listen to music and sleep. These three things are enjoyable and should ease the trip but personally, I'm quickly over them or simply can't focus the whole trip.
I need to yawn like hell during the take off and landing but even so, I'm still under the impression my ears are about to burst. This makes the swimming pool a lot less enjoyable for the next days.
There's no room to move around and this include the cramped space they make you sit in. And that's if you're lucky to not get a large neighbor. Kids, old ladies and such are also not the right kind of company but for other reasons.
The food is disgusting and the drinks expansive. Actually, this last point is a good thing, as it helps you to avoid doing the line with all those kids who DID drink a lot.
other reasons.
You may not experience air sickness. But other people will. Always. Pray that they be far away from you and reach the paper bag in time. Otherwise, it's gonna be a smelly trip.

All this to say, I'm really looking forward for those teleporters they've been promising us for decades. :smallbiggrin:

Thajocoth
2010-04-02, 08:36 PM
Oh, just remembered a few facts I thought I'd share. The first is to alleviate any fears, while the second you should hopefully not need.

#1 - A smaller percentage of people who fly die in plane crashes than of people who ride a car in car crashes.

#2 - If you're in a contrived scenario where the plane can't glide to safety for some weird and rare reason, and your parachute doesn't work or something, make sure that your legs take the impact, you bend them as they do, and quickly fall onto your side and roll. By allowing all your bones (skull excluded) to shatter from the impact (without letting them get pushed into your torso), your organs should remain intact, so after a body cast & a few months you'd be as good as new.

LCR
2010-04-03, 05:13 AM
Aside from the fact that it annoys me when other people do it, is there a specific reason for this?

Well, the pilots can't hear you anyway. So all you're doing is annoying your fellow passengers.

Quincunx
2010-04-03, 06:12 AM
First, grats on arrival, and can you understand what anyone is saying to you yet or do they just sound like they're jabbering at inhuman speeds? :smallcool: (I moved in the opposite direction and for months was asked to slow down, please, I can't understand a word you're saying. Tri-state people jabber.)

Only thing nobody covered yet that I do is wedge my butt down into the seat during turbulence and the first part of the descent, quashing the body's sensation of something-isn't-right. That new flying line they've introduced in the past few years, a long gradual descent instead of a steeper drop, is kinder to your butt in that you don't have to nearly wrench your legs to counter the feeling of descent, and kinder to you generally as you can accommodate the feeling and relax in a minute or two instead of hanging on gamely for the entire descent.

If I have the elbow room and the conveyance is smooth enough to allow reading, I do some mending while traveling. I have to take my thread cutter pendant (still lost, sadly) instead of snips, but sewing needles and thread pass through security without problems.

Amiel
2010-04-03, 06:14 AM
Are there snakes on said plane?

LCR
2010-04-03, 06:30 AM
... and why aren't you on a boat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU)?

Creed
2010-04-03, 07:45 AM
I was emmensly afraid of planes until 5 years ago, when I went international to australia. 14 hour flight. then last summer I went to Greece. 15 hour flight. After that and the occasional trip nationaly, you get used to them. try to pay attention to the in flight movies, they are usually bad but it's better than nothing. strangely enough I have made 3 pen and paper systems while on a plane, so try that. Also, try to get up and walk around a bit during the flight, unless it's not that long

Hope this helps

KuReshtin
2010-04-03, 10:34 AM
On my way back from Norway on Thursday I had to go through Amsterdam, so that meant two flights.
First flight, I fell asleep before the 'fasten seat belt' signs had been turned off, and woke up about 20 minutes before landing.
Second flight, I fell asleep just after the 'fasten seat belt' signs had turned off and I'd started up my MP3 player. Again, woke up just about 20-25 minutes before landing.

I never have any problems with flying. :smallsmile:

Moff Chumley
2010-04-03, 12:48 PM
Fun fact: your pilot is most likely drunk*.

*This fun fact brought to you be the Society for the Regulation of Chumley's Obscere Media References and Inane Claims, or NAMBLA**.

**c wut i did thar?

Winthur
2010-04-03, 12:52 PM
"Get on the plane! Get on the plane!"
"**** YOU! I'M GETTING IN THE PLANE! IN the plane! Let Evil Knievel get ON the plane! I'll be in here with you folks in uniform! There seems to be less WIND in here!"
:smalltongue:

Solaris
2010-04-03, 04:26 PM
Also, you do realize that, like, 97% of your topics should be posted in Random Banter instead.

Alright, I'll bite. Why should he post things he wants to talk about in the spam subforum instead of the conversation subforum? Random Banter strikes me as the one we stick the goofy, off-the-wall subjects into (IE: pretty much any thread I'm in for more than three pages). This isn't.

Do people applaud when you remember to zip your jeans after going to the bathroom?
Like 'e said, it's rather like applauding at the end of a movie in the theater. There's neither point nor purpose to it.

#2 - If you're in a contrived scenario where the plane can't glide to safety for some weird and rare reason, and your parachute doesn't work or something, make sure that your legs take the impact, you bend them as they do, and quickly fall onto your side and roll. By allowing all your bones (skull excluded) to shatter from the impact (without letting them get pushed into your torso), your organs should remain intact, so after a body cast & a few months you'd be as good as new.

Such as any sort of total engine failure? Diagnostic tools going haywire? Too much ice on the wings? It's something that just doesn't happen, but there's always the possibility. Modern airplanes are barely lifting bodies and hardly capable of gliding. They rely on their engines to generate airspeed. Most pilots aren't exactly good enough to land it like that Sully chap did. That's why his being able to land the aircraft in a river without casualties was so impressive. He didn't land a little Piper Cub, he landed a brick.
By the by, American commercial jetliners don't provide parachutes. Not unless the dozens of flights I've taken in the past six months were highly unusual, anyhow.

Pika...
2010-04-03, 09:23 PM
Thank you all so much for the advice and help. I am sorry to only now be getting back to this thread, but I have been seeing this city since I got here. That, or doing things into cups I should not mention. >.>

Yeah, I am still surprised I had issues breathing. Scary stuff. I will reread all this before going home for certain.

Thajocoth
2010-04-05, 05:21 PM
Fun fact: your pilot is most likely drunk

Due to the odd hours pilots work, many do resort to alcohol to get themselves to sleep and wind up becoming alcoholics, often drinking on the job... However, it's far safer to drink & fly than to drink & drive. Not nearly as dangerous. For most of the flight, there's nothing remotely NEAR the plane. Maybe you'd get slightly more turbulence than usual... barely.

Now air traffic controllers... They're the job with the highest suicide rate. If they make one little slip-up, ever... people probably die and regardless of whether or not anyone dies, they go to prison. That's it. Can you imagine that kind of stress? I can't. So they have to constantly be sharp and attentive. I think this is why so many flights get delayed... That sometimes it's based on how much the controllers can handle paying attention to at once. Better to delay than risk a mistake.

Pika...
2010-04-05, 05:24 PM
Now air traffic controllers... They're the job with the highest suicide rate.

I can just imagine the expected lifespan of a Japanese traffic controller. :/

Thajocoth
2010-04-05, 05:29 PM
I can just imagine the expected lifespan of a Japanese traffic controller. :/

I don't know... I think outside the US, a lot of people are actually better with dealing with very high stress. It might actually be higher.

Note: I may have edited my previous post while you were replying to it...

Mando Knight
2010-04-05, 07:49 PM
Such as any sort of total engine failure? Diagnostic tools going haywire? Too much ice on the wings? It's something that just doesn't happen, but there's always the possibility. Modern airplanes are barely lifting bodies and hardly capable of gliding. They rely on their engines to generate airspeed. Most pilots aren't exactly good enough to land it like that Sully chap did. That's why his being able to land the aircraft in a river without casualties was so impressive. He didn't land a little Piper Cub, he landed a brick.

I don't think you understand the design of an airplane. So long as you're moving forward, a lifting body produces lift and drag. A lifting body never produces thrust. Ever. Gliders glide because they use a high lift-to-weight design, meaning it can fly at a lower speed for a long period of time without dropping from the sky. Constructing a jetliner with a glider-like lift/weight ratio is impractical, since increasing the lift that much will increase the drag, which will also kill its performance at high speeds. The reason jet fighters are stubby (now there's a craft that can barely glide) is because any extra lift performance from a longer wing is offset by the structural integrity needs of a larger wing at higher speeds (especially trans- and supersonic flight) as well as the maneuverability requirements of fightercraft.

The problem with most aircraft and going into an unplanned landing is that a large aircraft can't land just anywhere: it needs a long, even, sturdy surface similar to a concrete runway or it'll destroy what it lands on, and most aircraft aren't built to land on their bellies. What was amazing about landing the jet wasn't that he managed to control it, but that he was able to control it in a manner that it didn't completely break up when it hit the surface of the river. A jetliner is designed to be able to go up on one engine and come down on none, but hitting the surface of a river at speed won't distribute the impact properly like landing on a runway with landing gear would, so the structure (seeing massive stress from the impact, much greater than it could encounter under under any other operation) can tear apart if it hits the wrong way.

For an example of what a bad loading situation does to an aircraft, look no further than the Challenger disaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger_disaster). Challenger didn't explode because its rocket booster blew up, it tore to pieces because the booster failure exposed the craft to loads that the engineers couldn't design for Challenger to resist. Airliners have a lot more leeway due to needing less fuel per payload mass and thus getting allowing for more structural support, but the same thing would happen if a jet slammed into a solid object at speed. (Incidentally, the crew probably survived in the sturdier crew cabin, probably unconscious during freefall, but they pretty much died instantly from the impact... they were at around 9 nautical miles up when the shuttle broke up)