PDA

View Full Version : Stereotypes

waterpenguin43
2010-04-02, 07:40 PM
I'm starting to get really annoyed with them. I'm -I'll say it- a rather feminine person. However, people have called me gay. This didn't used to bother me, except, obviously, for the homophobia, but I can't really stop said people for the homophobic insults. Until now. Why? Because they say I'm gay with two of my friends. For example: When I'm talking to one, they might ask if I'm on a date. The rest of the things they say..... Well, they might be a bit sexual for these forums. To say the least.
Anyone else have similar experiences with stereotypes? (Though they can be other stereotypes, like being called a jock or lesbian.)

tcrudisi
2010-04-02, 07:49 PM
I'm starting to get really annoyed with them. I'm -I'll say it- a rather feminine person. However, people have called me gay. This didn't used to bother me, except, obviously, for the homophobia, but I can't really stop said people for the homophobic insults. Until now. Why? Because they say I'm gay with two of my friends. For example: When I'm talking to one, they might ask if I'm on a date. The rest of the things they say..... Well, they might be a bit sexual for these forums. To say the least.
Anyone else have similar experiences with stereotypes? (Though they can be other stereotypes, like being called a jock or lesbian.)

Stereotypes are impossible to avoid. I grew up and got the same treatment you did. I still occasionally hear it second-hand. A friend of mine, about a year ago, told me that he was talking to someone I went to school with. My friend told the old classmate that he was getting ready to hang out with me later that day, and so the classmate naturally inquired about me. When told that I was engaged, the classmate responded, "Wait, I thought he was gay?"

No, I most certainly am not.

But my boyfriend is. *kidding!* :smalltongue:

Seriously though, I recently did a presentation in my European Integration course (I'm doing a study abroad in Holland) concerning stereotypes. We had to pick an European Union country and talk about what other countries think about them. My group picked France... and boy did we have fun with it. The French stink, the women don't shave, the French hate the English and the English language, etc. Luckily we had a French guy in the group, so I basically did a roleplay session with him where I'd tell him the stereotype and he'd say whether it was true or not. When I asked him about the "French women don't shave" bit, he clearly had no idea that we were actually talking about legs and armpits. Instead, he motions down to his crotch area and says, "Well, that stereotype is mostly false now. Most women do shave."

The French girl in the class (but not in my group) turned so red that I thought she had turned into an apple. I couldn't let this opportunity pass by, so I asked her, "So Marie, is this true?" haha. I apologized to her after the presentation.

Fun times. But, what I'm trying to say is that stereotypes exist. There's no way to avoid them. Some of them are true, most of them are not. Since there's no way to avoid them, just try to let them roll off of you when you are at the center of them and try to avoid using them. It's all we can do.

waterpenguin43
2010-04-02, 07:51 PM
Stereotypes are impossible to avoid. I grew up and got the same treatment you did. I still occasionally hear it second-hand. A friend of mine, about a year ago, told me that he was talking to someone I went to school with. My friend told the old classmate that he was getting ready to hang out with me later that day, and so the classmate naturally inquired about me. When told that I was engaged, the classmate responded, "Wait, I thought he was gay?"

No, I most certainly am not.

But my boyfriend is. *kidding!* :smalltongue:

Seriously though, I recently did a presentation in my European Integration course (I'm doing a study abroad in Holland) concerning stereotypes. We had to pick an European Union country and talk about what other countries think about them. My group picked France... and boy did we have fun with it. The French stink, the women don't shave, the French hate the English and the English language, etc. Luckily we had a French guy in the group, so I basically did a roleplay session with him where I'd tell him the stereotype and he'd say whether it was true or not. When I asked him about the "French women don't shave" bit, he clearly had no idea that we were actually talking about legs and armpits. Instead, he motions down to his crotch area and says, "Well, that stereotype is mostly false now. Most women do shave."

The French girl in the class (but not in my group) turned so red that I thought she had turned into an apple. I couldn't let this opportunity pass by, so I asked her, "So Marie, is this true?" haha. I apologized to her after the presentation.

Fun times. But, what I'm trying to say is that stereotypes exist. There's no way to avoid them. Some of them are true, most of them are not. Since there's no way to avoid them, just try to let them roll off of you when you are at the center of them and try to avoid using them. It's all we can do.

I know, they're just lethally annoying. This is meant to post your experience on them.

Rauthiss
2010-04-02, 07:52 PM
I make it a priority of mine to play off stereotypes in my daily life - I act completely differently around people, so some people are convinced I'm a nerdy loser, some people are convinced I'm a total drama kid, half think I'm a totally straight misogynist type and half are sure I'm gay. :3

As for dealing with your situation, how are your friends taking it? A friend of mine and I make plenty of jokes about us being gay for each other, and other people have kind of let it go. The age-old advice of "Don't pay attention to it" or "Just go with it" really does work, in my experience.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-04-02, 07:53 PM
Actual quote from one of my friends:
"You know, the first time I met you, I thought you were gay, because: 1. You dress really well [in the context it was more like "you dress better than me"]; 2. You study psychology and 3. You listen to techno."

The friend was a girl.

Other than that... I also pretended to be a gay dude's boyfriend at a party so some other gay dude would leave him alone. As in I actually went there for that reason, since the other guy was almost stalkerish. Fun times. No, really. Also got me some fun times with a girl present at the party who wanted to see if I was bi :wink:

And I've also made jokes about being gay together with some friends. Some of them ongoing jokes, some just one-liners, but they were really obvious ones.

Other stereotypes: sometimes I really enjoy making people think I'm a dumb douchebag or a complete moron, only to prove them wrong in five minutes. For example, the first day of tutorial for my intro biology class (I had to take it as a prerequisite even though I learned all the material in other classes) I came in dressed like total douchebag from Jersey Shore, complete with the spiked hair, a dress shirt unbuttoned to my chest with no t-shirt underneath and too much cologne and also talked and acted the same way to reinforce the stereotype further.

And proceeded to have a 20 minute long conversation about protein synthesis with the TA that was about 3 biochemistry courses too advanced for the class in question. Ahh, the looks on people's faces was priceless :biggrin: Especially the looks on faces of nerdy-looking kids with cheap no-name glasses with thick lenses, ill-fitting tshirts or polos buttoned up to the top and no shoulders or muscles to speak of

waterpenguin43
2010-04-02, 07:55 PM
I make it a priority of mine to play off stereotypes in my daily life - I act completely differently around people, so some people are convinced I'm a nerdy loser, some people are convinced I'm a total drama kid, half think I'm a totally straight misogynist type and half are sure I'm gay. :3

As for dealing with your situation, how are your friends taking it? A friend of mine and I make plenty of jokes about us being gay for each other, and other people have kind of let it go. The age-old advice of "Don't pay attention to it" or "Just go with it" really does work, in my experience.

That's what I'm doing. It's just annoying when they start saying stuff like:
"Are you two going to have a hot night of-" well, you get the picture. Although I don't take it personally, as these are the kids that threw flour all over a poor girl then water. And it got one in the mouth and another in the eye.

Rauthiss
2010-04-02, 07:56 PM
Start hitting on them. Scare them. DO IT.:smallbiggrin:

waterpenguin43
2010-04-02, 07:59 PM
Start hitting on them. Scare them. DO IT.:smallbiggrin:

They won't get scared. Besides, I happen to live next door to one of them......
:smalleek:

And besides, the lot of them are... well, look at my earlier example of the whole flour-throwing incident. The two girls started puking after that. (Although, to be fair, I don't think anyone saw that coming.)

V for Victory
2010-04-02, 08:26 PM

I feel special because I think you are all those things and more!!!!!!!!!

WaterPenguin: You can always do what I did in seventh grade. Look them in the eyes say "I'm bisexual, jerk" and walk away. For a week people will ask you if its true, confirm that its true. AND NOONE WILL BRING IT UP AGAIN.I am a senior in high school and it has worked well so far

absolmorph
2010-04-02, 08:32 PM
Roll with it. Screw with their heads.
Seriously, the only response to something as stupid as that is to just use their preconceived notions against them.
And, when you've sufficiently screwed with their minds, systematically screw them over in every way possible. With their screwed-ness as public as possible, and your involvement as invisible as possible.
Or, y'know, just stick with screwing with their heads. Seriously, just mess with them. When they're making jokes about you and your friend having a "hot night", wink suggestively at them, say something about "the more, the merrier", go crazy.
If they're as homophobic as it sounds, they'll stay away from you.

druid91
2010-04-02, 08:59 PM
People Originally would say stuff like that to me, Then they realized That 1: I am smart,(compared to the vast majority of my year.) 2: I'm lucky 3: teachers like me for some unknown reason. and 4:I Don't care. At least in high school, now with college no-one cares.

TSGames
2010-04-02, 09:19 PM

Well where I'm from words like these lead to what we call an "ass-beating." Seeing as how that's not an option....you could get a girlfriend. The teasing wouldn't stop for a few weeks, but it would die down after a while.

As for my experience with stereotypes...it's been mostly positive. If you learn how to do it right, stereotypes, positive or negative, are merely social/cultural concepts that often be exploited for personal gain. People are often as predictable as the stereotypes on which they operate.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-04-02, 09:28 PM
1: I am smart,(compared to the vast majority of my year.) 3: teachers like me for some unknown reason.

Reason is now known.

Crimmy
2010-04-02, 09:46 PM
I'm tired with stereotypes as well.
I hate the fact that people tell me "Hey, you're not mexican. They're fat, tan, and always carry a sombrero."

STUPIDEST STEREOTYPE EVER.

absolmorph
2010-04-02, 10:06 PM
I'm tired with stereotypes as well.
I hate the fact that people tell me "Hey, you're not mexican. They're fat, tan, and always carry a sombrero."

STUPIDEST STEREOTYPE EVER.
On the other hand, you're guaranteed to surpass their expectations.

Crimmy
2010-04-02, 10:12 PM
That is, if they manage tu surpass their thick-minds. Most of the time, hose dudes go "I don't believe you. No matter what you do, I won't believe you're mexican."

Extra_Crispy
2010-04-03, 12:52 AM
I have allways been stereotyped as the nerd/geek, because I got straight A's in school and played D&D. Never cared about that, people were just envous because of how easy school came for me.

The worst type of stereotype I have ever seen though happend to a friend of mine. He was driving late at night, like 12-1 am and kinda racing a friend. At the time there were 4 people in his car, ALL including him were 19+ years old. The other friend had 3 people ALL were under 18, including him, and there is a curfew for under 18 of (I think at that time) 12am. Anyway the turn a corner the other guy in the lead, right to 2 police officers crossing the dark street. The other guy swerved and bairly missed them and finally stopped, my friend slammed on the brakes and stopped 2-3 feet from them. Needless to say they both were in trouble. The other guy got told to go home at the speed limit and stop being stupid. My friend got a wreckless driving ticket, which really jacked up his insurance. The only difference between the 2, besides age: The one that got let off is your typical white all american looking guy, my friend is asian hispanic mix.

Stereotypes really annoy me in that since and I try to never ever use them. Personally I have not really run into people stereotyping me though.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-03, 01:18 AM
This may not be well received, but I'm gonna say my piece.

My previous line of work had me visiting the homes of peoples of all wealth, nationalities, races, dwellings and surroundings. City, boonies and suburbia. Outside and in. From their basements to their attics, to under their beds to their kid's closets. I might spend upwards of 8 hours with these people.

Before this job I knew of stereotypes but never really gave them much thought. People were people. However, after everything from roach infested shacks to multi-million dollar mansions and every type of people in them and those in between I learned an interesting fact.

In my experience, and I can only draw upon mine, stereotypes are stereotypes... because they in fact DO have basis in fact. People are still people but, for better or for worse the majority are very much closely following of their personal stereotype. There were of course exceptions, but in general those I visited almost matched their parody.

Religious rednecks, ghetto gangstahs, liberal collegians, illegal immigrants, high hippies, flaming gays, gluttonous fatties, socially inept nerds and more. It was almost funny for awhile until I realized SO many did in fact fall into their little categories. I thought maybe this was just an aspect, but when you watch a flatulent 500 lbs woman finish off three pizzas, a guy in purple daisy dukes expose himself to you, or a man from his run down trailer come at you with a shotgun...

Now, hypocritical as it may sound, I manage not to fall under almost any stereotype period. Not fowl nor flesh nor good red herring. However, I'll be the first to admit the majority of those from the area of which I was raised are EXACTLY their stereotype depicts. I am me though.

So despite everything above, there are exceptions, but folks, stereotypes are real, and they walk amongst us.

Serpentine
2010-04-03, 02:03 AM
My Boy recently discovered that his coworker assumed he was gay... because he took an ABBA CD to work.

Personally, I fully intend to exploit the various Australian stereotypes to breaking point whenever I go overseas :smallamused: Except the "IF YOU GO TO AUSTRALIA YOU WILL DIE BECAUSE EVERYTHING HATES YOU!" stereotype, I'm pretty over that one :smallsigh: Maybe I'll carry a picture of a bilby in my wallet...

Deca
2010-04-03, 02:13 AM
Personally, I fully intend to exploit the various Australian stereotypes to breaking point whenever I go overseas :smallamused: Except the "IF YOU GO TO AUSTRALIA YOU WILL DIE BECAUSE EVERYTHING HATES YOU!" stereotype, I'm pretty over that one :smallsigh: Maybe I'll carry a picture of a bilby in my wallet...

I love the Australian stereotypes. People who actually believe in them give you a lot respect just from being Australian because of it.

absolmorph
2010-04-03, 02:18 AM
I love the Australian stereotypes. People who actually believe in them give you a lot respect just from being Australian because of it.
I respect Australians that lived there for at least a few years.
I figure the deadliness may have rubbed off, and why take chances?

Mystic Muse
2010-04-03, 02:36 AM
My Boy recently discovered that his coworker assumed he was gay... because he took an ABBA CD to work.

Now that's just not true. you won't die because everything hates you.

you'll die because everything kills you if you so much as look at it. They don't hate you, that's just the way it works.

it's the circle of death.:smalltongue:

golentan
2010-04-03, 02:39 AM

Everything in australia IS trying to kill you.

It's pretty much identical to the rest of the world, except the selective breeding program of "You kill a human and we BURN YOUR SPECIES TO THE GROUND!!!!" hasn't had a large population long enough to really get hammered into the communal mind of the local animal population (1 person for every 22 square kilometres isn't a whole lot).

Deca
2010-04-03, 02:57 AM
Everything in australia IS trying to kill you.

It's pretty much identical to the rest of the world, except the selective breeding program of "You kill a human and we BURN YOUR SPECIES TO THE GROUND!!!!" hasn't had a large population long enough to really get hammered into the communal mind of the local animal population (1 person for every 22 square kilometres isn't a whole lot).

As well as this, we do have some genuinely nasty stuff. For example, most spiders will only bite in self-defence or whatnot. The Australian Trapdoor Spider is the only known spider that will actually chase after people, jumping all over the place repeatedly trying to bite them.

SilverSheriff
2010-04-03, 03:16 AM
As well as this, we do have some genuinely nasty stuff. For example, most spiders will only bite in self-defence or whatnot. The Australian Trapdoor Spider is the only known spider that will actually chase after people, jumping all over the place repeatedly trying to bite them.

Oh great... thanks for striking the fear into me, now I'm going to have terrible dreams of spiders chasing after me... :smallfrown:

golentan
2010-04-03, 03:20 AM
Oh great... thanks for striking the fear into me, now I'm going to have terrible dreams of spiders chasing after me... :smallfrown:

Oh Guteria, how I miss you... Wait, were you talking about that as a nightmare?

Serpentine
2010-04-03, 03:22 AM
I respect Australians that lived there for at least a few years.
I figure the deadliness may have rubbed off, and why take chances?

you'll die because everything kills you if you so much as look at it. They don't hate you, that's just the way it works.

it's the circle of death.:smalltongue:This icon: :sigh: is not even remotely big enough to represent my current feelings. For example:
Deca, have you or anyone you know actually been chased by a trapdoor spider?

edit: We have a bird called a spangled drongo.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NBu7wfRkMjE/SceI3lQdD7I/AAAAAAAABa0/zLG5rZd2ju4/s400/palyan+-+spangled+drongo+(Dicrurus+bracteatus)..jpg
How threatening can we be?!

Coidzor
2010-04-03, 03:22 AM
^: The truth is, Serps, we really are just all racist against marsupials. getting rid of the nasty arthropods and reptiles is just a bonus to the genetic cleansing of the mammalian order.

Only one I've really seen so far was the alien mindset of people who are actually obese rather than just overweight.

I run into some stereotypes occasionally due to people mistaking me for being jewish or gay. Or thinking I'm a different guy who lives in town who looks like me and is gay. And a gardener. And dated another guy who looks like my best friend who is a gardener as well.

Well, aside from the ones which are just blatant misandry.

Nameless
2010-04-03, 03:29 AM
Oh yes, a few. Usually "goff", "emo" or "***".

Happy days.

EDIT: Yeah, had a feeling it wouldn't let me say the last one.

mucat
2010-04-03, 03:31 AM
The other guy swerved and bairly missed them and finally stopped, my friend slammed on the brakes and stopped 2-3 feet from them. Needless to say they both were in trouble. The other guy got told to go home at the speed limit and stop being stupid. My friend got a wreckless driving ticket, which really jacked up his insurance. The only difference between the 2, besides age: The one that got let off is your typical white all american looking guy, my friend is asian hispanic mix.
Your friend got off way too easy; anyone racing on a public street should do serious jail time and lose their drivers' license for years. Of course, the other idiot deserved exactly the same thing, and got off even easier, which is unfair...but don't make either of them out as victims here.

golentan
2010-04-03, 03:34 AM
Only one I've really seen so far was the alien mindset of people who are actually obese rather than just overweight.

I run into some stereotypes occasionally due to people mistaking me for being jewish or gay. Or thinking I'm a different guy who lives in town who looks like me and is gay. And a gardener. And dated another guy who looks like my best friend who is a gardener as well.

Well, aside from the ones which are just blatant misandry.

I think I've asked before, are you sure you're not living a double life and repressing things? That sounds like an awful lot of coincidences...

I'm tired of being stereotyped as "Prep" because of how I dress. Yes, I wear slacks and polos. Because I like the lines, and find jeans hideously uncomfortable, I only ever wear slacks if the situation is more formal than Sweats.

Also, people always do a double take on learning my last name.

This: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/061/0/3/Dressed_to_please_by_golentan.jpg

Is a Sanchez. Spanish means "From Spain," people, we aren't all blessed with swarthy latin features, and I am a multiple-generations-in citizen of the country, and I'd appreciate it if fewer people treated me like an identity thief in job interviews.

Serpentine
2010-04-03, 03:38 AM
My dad looks like this:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs152.snc3/17969_309153998988_681173988_4895124_6375799_n.jpg
(I think that's his acting photo or something)
There is a lady who he comes across occasionally through his work (Cultural Development Coordinator for the Gold Coast City Council), who likes to comment on how nice it is to see more Aboriginals in public positions.
He doesn't have the heart to tell her he's of pure ("") English stock...

Deca
2010-04-03, 03:51 AM
This icon: :sigh: is not even remotely big enough to represent my current feelings. For example:
Deca, have you or anyone you know actually been chased by a trapdoor spider?

edit: We have a bird called a spangled drongo.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NBu7wfRkMjE/SceI3lQdD7I/AAAAAAAABa0/zLG5rZd2ju4/s400/palyan+-+spangled+drongo+(Dicrurus+bracteatus)..jpg
How threatening can we be?!

Actually, yes. Happened to Dave, the owner of the local hobby shop and my current DM. He never went camping again after that.

Serpentine
2010-04-03, 03:54 AM
Oh, we're including camping in this? Yeah, don't go camping in Australia.

Touche Deca, touche :P

Nameless
2010-04-03, 03:56 AM
Oh, we're including camping in this? Yeah, don't go camping in Australia.

Touche Deca, touche :P

True. Everything is Australia is dangerous. Even the puppies. They have venom.

Serpentine
2010-04-03, 04:05 AM
Annnnnnd here we go again :sigh:
Okay, so maybe the spiders are as bad as stereotyped (except that whitetails do not cause anything more than pain and maybe a nasty bump, unless you're unfortunate enough to somehow be allergic to them perhaps). The next-closest "as dangerous as they say" is the jellyfish, but they're only of concern way up north. The vast majority of the Australian population is... I'd say Brisbane and below, at least. There might be a bit disproportionate number of tourists up there, but it's not as though many Australians have to deal with it on a regular basis.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-03, 04:13 AM
I'm just joking Serpentine. I'm Sure Australia is awesome.

Serpentine
2010-04-03, 04:18 AM
It is :smalltongue: And I know it's probably got more poisonous stuff than many other places (though not much that will actually hunt and/or eat you). I'm just over it.

mucat
2010-04-03, 04:56 AM
Then this would be the wrong time for me to ask if it's really true that everyone in Australia has long snake tails, that they use to crush people who make fun of their country on the Internet?

::ducks::

Deca
2010-04-03, 04:59 AM
Then this would be the wrong time for me to ask if it's really true that everyone in Australia has long snake tails, that they use to crush people who make fun of their country on the Internet?

::ducks::

Pfft. What a silly idea.
Everyone knows that only Tasmanians have snake tails.

Serpentine
2010-04-03, 05:25 AM

::ducks::For making fun of Australia? Don't be silly, Australia is absurd. Our leader is called "Kevin" for crying out loud!

Quincunx
2010-04-03, 05:56 AM
I'm an American living abroad, childless in a country where the traditional export was people, and before that in a country where our acquaintances were shocked to see us marry before age 30. Stereotypes fly from all directions, inwards and outwards. (Come to think it, I haven't had to threaten to smack my housemate upside the shoulder, as I can't reach his head, for America-bashing in some time, and he kept on going even after the regime change. Here's hoping that coincidence doesn't inspire him.)

Vorpal Tribble must have me on ignore or something. I've called him out on stereotype several times by now. :smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-03, 10:08 AM
Bah, I stopped tinking of Australia as dangerous when I found out bunny rabbits were taking it over.

Vorpal Tribble must have me on ignore or something. I've called him out on stereotype several times by now. :smallbiggrin:
Ignored you? I challenged that it applied straight up.

Serpentine
2010-04-03, 10:33 AM
Bah, I stopped tinking of Australia as dangerous when I found out bunny rabbits were taking it over.Bloody rabbits :smallannoyed: And foxes. And rats. And mice. And Indian mynas. And cane toads, and blackberry (though they are delicious), and lantana, and feral cats...
Apparently rabbits're endangered, or close to it, in their homeland, too... We also have the world's largest population of camels, and this very rare type of bovine, a water buffalo of some sort or something. Apparently there was a bit of a debate over the latter: it's a pretty destructive pest here, messing up the waterways and the like, but if they kill them, there's hardly any/none left in the wild. What to do, what to do? Probably pack them up and ship them home... But that would have its own difficulties.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-03, 10:49 AM
Apparently rabbits're endangered, or close to it, in their homeland, too...
They sure ain't endangered in the Americas.

As for the blackberries, Australia is like one of the few places it's not native. You can break off from the continental shelf, but you can't hide! :smallamused:

We also have the world's largest population of camels
That's funny, the U.S. has like the largest population of emus. Ironic, ain't it?

Player_Zero
2010-04-03, 10:54 AM
I'm not so sure that discussion of animal popuilations falls under the category of stereotypes discourse.

Also, while I'm being pedantic, I may as well gripe about the difference between the definition of the word 'stereotype' and how it has been used as 'preconceived notion' in this thread.

Serpentine
2010-04-03, 10:55 AM
That's funny, the U.S. has like the largest population of emus. Ironic, ain't it?Really? What do you do with them? :smallconfused:

waterpenguin43
2010-04-03, 11:08 AM
In my experience, and I can only draw upon mine, stereotypes are stereotypes... because they in fact DO have basis in fact.

My sister always assures me of this, and sometimes it's true.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-03, 11:11 AM
Really? What do you do with them? :smallconfused:
In the beginning we thought it'd be a cheaper, healthier alternative to beef. Turned out such wasn't quite the case. The population is dropping quite a bit due to a drastic reduction in breeding, but 5-10 years ago there were millions of'em.

Still tons of emu farms around due to their oil.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PRdSqsN6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have a few myself, but only as pets. Named them Jabberwalky (yes, spelled that way), Bandersnatch and Jub-Jub.

Serpentine
2010-04-03, 11:14 AM
Haven't had emu for ages... And I've got a thing of emu oil, for massage.
Those're great names :smallbiggrin: I once had one eat my golf ball...

Anuan
2010-04-03, 11:25 AM
Best. Names. Ever. Holy crap.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-03, 11:28 AM
*takes over Australia*

Morty
2010-04-03, 11:30 AM
Stereotypes? Hmmm. I've seen them used, discussed and criticised and I know what stereotypes may apply to myself, but I don't think anyone has ever used a stereotype to describe me directly. Except for that time when people couldn't belive I listen to metal.

TheCountAlucard
2010-04-03, 11:31 AM
*takes over Australia*Oh, I see what you did there...

Zerkai
2010-04-03, 12:12 PM
Not all stereotypes have a basis in fact.

Let's see... Oh! Like British people all have horrible teeth

Funny thing is OECD did a study and concluded that the British have the very best teeth in the world. Might just be because Americans are so used to bleached teeth

AS for myself, people use to get mildly confused when they saw me stand up when called in JROTC. I have blue-gray eyes, dark blond hair, skin's as white as can be. My last name is Jimenez (Which some people misread as Hernandez somehow.)

Frozen_Feet
2010-04-03, 01:06 PM
Lets see - I'm wiry and have eyeglasses, I play roleplaying games, I'm a scout, I practice martial arts, I read comics and religious texts for fun... as you should guess, I've been subjected to the weirdest of assumptions.

Wiriness + Eyeglasses = obviously a nerd. Despite the fact that most guys of the same age use computers as much or more, and are generally more adept in it. My computer skills are limited to word processing, using the net and playing roguelikes. I have little to no interest in how computers actually work. I've never used torrent sites or downloaded pirated games, movies or music, something others do daily. And I'm the nerd? Give me a break.

Wiriness + Eyeglasses + remembers basic science facts = obviously a high-school or university student. Neep, wrong. While I hold academic pursuits close to my heart, I consciously chose not to make a career out of it. I went to a vocational institute and graduated as a plumber.

Has other interests than girls and cars = obviously gay. Considering how I behave compared to certain "definitely straight" guys, I have to wonder why they guestion my sexuality. After all, I've never dry-humped or kissed another male, unlike some other folks. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on their part. :smalltongue:

Reads comics = obviously those comics are porn. Especially in case of manga, because as we all know, all manga is ecchi. Maybe I should take it as a clue about what others read, because while I don't have gigabytes worth of porn on my hard drive, I know most of my friends do...

Reads comics = obviously those comics are for children. If people actually bothered to look at what I'm reading, they'd realize that while my comics are safe for work, they're not necessarily safe for children. I'm certain an angel is born every time I scare a grown man away by showing what's really between the covers.

Plays roleplaying games = dresses in funny clothes and plays with friends in a forest. I told them guys it's LARPing, and I don't do that because I can't make decent costumes! Though I must admit military drills fit the "dresses funny, plays with friends in a forest" rather well.:smallwink:

Plays roleplaying games = poor sense of reality. Considering how out of touch people claiming this often are themselves, it's hard for me not to laugh at them.

Is a scout = is a wolf cub, wears funny hat, has a know-it-all book, has a funny tittle, is a religious fanatic, is naive, is idealistic etc. etc. etc. There are so many funny prejudices around about Scouts I swear I could spend a week listing them all. It's clear some people here in Finland base their views solely on Wolf Cubs in Donald Duck. It's funny same people are often those who claim I don't have a sense of reality.

Wears clothes that are not black = listens to something else than heavy metal. Wait, there actually is music besides metal? Now I'm confused.

Voluntarily reads = insane. What? What's wrong with books? Really, youth these days...:smallsigh:

Voluntarily reads religious texts = fanatic. Obviously one can't just read them, oh no sir. What's funny, I've been mistaken for christian, hindu, militant atheist, satanist, budhist and pagan by same people. I just got to add scientologist to that list!:smallbiggrin:

Practices martial arts = can do crazy jump kicks, shouts every punch etc. Clearly, some people base their views of MAs on Karate Kid and Power Rangers, or some other show they watched as kids. Odd prejudices abound. Oddest so far is that "MAs are useless" - in army, I was happy when Drill Sergeant asked me to teach self defense for the troops. Provided me with a good chance to prove otherwise. It's funny how 5. kuy karate can leave people gasping in awe.:smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2010-04-03, 01:08 PM
People think I'm a stoner just because I have unreasonably long hair, listen to Pink Floyd and such, view sentence coherency as optional. Other people think I'm a metalhead. And other people think I'm a hipster. Of course, everyone thinks I'm white, which bugs me. I'm Jewish, thanks very much. :smallamused::smallmad:

you could get a girlfriend.

So much easier said than done for a decent proportion of the population it's not even funny.

This may not be well received, but I'm gonna say my piece.

[smart things]

So despite everything above, there are exceptions, but folks, stereotypes are real, and they walk amongst us.

YES. I had this conversation yesterday: "If you want people to stop calling you gay, you probably should probably stop calling everything "marvelous" and maybe loose the hot pink skinny jeans..."

I have a few myself, but only as pets. Named them Jabberwalky (yes, spelled that way), Bandersnatch and Jub-Jub.

You win everything for ever.

Asta Kask
2010-04-03, 01:30 PM

it's the circle of death.:smalltongue:

They're sort of like the Old Ones in Lovecraft's Mythos. Not evil, not good, just frighteningly different...

Deth Muncher
2010-04-03, 01:41 PM
I'm Jewish, thanks very much. :smallamused::smallmad:

Hey, me too! :D Personally, my whole LIFE has been stereotypes, whether it be mine or someone else's. I'm not your stereotypical curly-haired kosher kind of Jew, but I AM going to school to be a lawyer. Possibly of the medical variety.

I'm absolute trash at being an accountant though.

Asta Kask
2010-04-03, 01:54 PM
Wears clothes that are not black = listens to something else than heavy metal. Wait, there actually is music besides metal? Now I'm confused.

You should try listening to some of Wagner's operas. Very similar in attitude to heavy metal.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-03, 02:11 PM
Hey, me too! :D Personally, my whole LIFE has been stereotypes, whether it be mine or someone else's. I'm not your stereotypical curly-haired kosher kind of Jew, but I AM going to school to be a lawyer. Possibly of the medical variety.

I'm absolute trash at being an accountant though.
Oh man... ok, true story. I had to work Christmases, but usually didn't have too many calls. Well, we always grumble about folks who ordered the services on Christmas but we head out and pull into this posh neighborhood. No house under a million. Mansions, scultped gardens, the works. We go along down the road and I look down the mailbox numbers and start grinning and go, 'That isn't really.' the driver looks at the map and goes, 'Yeeeup.'

Only house not decked out with Christmas decorations. Instead, on an enormous pole in their front yard, is a 40-foot Hanukkah banner.

We go in, and yeah... they are curly headed. The husband is in the accounting section of the newspaper. The wife... Jewish Mother? Ooooh yeah. Menorah on the kitchen table, dradel lights hanging from the doorways. Coffee table with 'The History of the Holocaust'.

Heard no less than 20 yiddish terms. There was talk of schlemiels.

Folks, Jews lived here.

Coidzor
2010-04-03, 02:34 PM
I think I've asked before, are you sure you're not living a double life and repressing things? That sounds like an awful lot of coincidences...

I hope not, those gardening skills would come in handy.

Also, it'd require my somehow having traversed half of the country without anyone noticing when I only just got here in september.

I've always wondered why people forget that Spaniards exist myself.

Something that is sort of tangentially related here that popped up in the You Thread...
Well, I guess I'll explain my question now.

Y'see, I was recently accosted about my heritage by a person of jewish descent as a result of some conversation he was having with another individual while I was wandering in their field of vision. (I know, I know, we all prefer fields of dream to fields of vision)

There was a conversation whereupon I revealed that I was part german and they asked when that part immigrated over, since, well, during a certain period they might've been trying to hide their jewish identities. As far as I know, though, all of my ancestors came over before the civil war.

Sometime about this time it was commented that I might look even more like a jew than he, which eventually lead to someone mustering up a camera for the purposes of getting some comparison shots to peruse in detail.

The results being posted to facebook.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs426.snc3/24580_109223075765550_100000335746345_153373_97881 7_n.jpg

My Life Is Odd.

Moff Chumley
2010-04-03, 05:39 PM
Heard no less than 20 yiddish terms. There was talk of schlemiels.

To be fair, Yiddish is the greatest language ever. :smallcool:

Deth Muncher
2010-04-03, 05:56 PM
To be fair, Yiddish is the greatest language ever. :smallcool:

Fact. I don't use it near enough as I should, but "schlep" and "nosh" often find their way into my daily vocabulary.

CrimsonAngel
2010-04-03, 06:34 PM
Noone has made fun of me for being a nerd or bisexual at all, actualy. I make plenty of geeky references and openly flirt with guys! The only mean thing i've been called realy is creepy, but that's because i'll randomly rub people's arms or legs.

I guess that is creepy...

Fiery Diamond
2010-04-03, 09:28 PM
Noone has made fun of me for being a nerd or bisexual at all, actualy. I make plenty of geeky references and openly flirt with guys! The only mean thing i've been called realy is creepy, but that's because i'll randomly rub people's arms or legs.

I guess that is creepy...

Yes, it's pretty creepy. It's also why a large majority of straight people don't want to associate with gays or bisexuals: they think that all of them are like that and are uncomfortable with it.

John Cribati
2010-04-03, 09:34 PM
I'm Jamaican by birth. I lack an accent. Thus, To the rest of the world, I am not Jamaican. I hate that.

waterpenguin43
2010-04-03, 09:40 PM
Yes, it's pretty creepy. It's also why a large majority of straight people don't want to associate with gays or bisexuals: they think that all of them are like that and are uncomfortable with it.

It's annoyingly true. That, or they think of me as gay because I used to do ballet, wore pink to school one day, like showtunes and have a feminine demeanor, but NOT the kid who's a sports addict and really muscular, even if he humps people legs, sits on peoples laps and spanks them.
Never.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-03, 09:55 PM
I'm Jamaican by birth. I lack an accent. Thus, To the rest of the world, I am not Jamaican. I hate that.

Fake it? :P That's what I do when I want to hammer home who I am: put on the worst/best (depending on your point of view) Woody Allen/Mort Goldman voice.

EDIT: @ Spheal - I do hate the Showtunes = Gay thing. Actually, the whole Musical Theatre = Gay thing too. I'm prone to singing random showtunes from time to time, and I was in plays from 7th-12th grade.

TheThan
2010-04-03, 10:46 PM

Gotta have dreadlocks and be stoned half to death all the time to be a Jamaican.

:smallconfused:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-03, 10:48 PM
Gotta have dreadlocks and be stoned half to death all the time to be a Jamaican.

:smallconfused:
Or drive a bobsled.

Serpentine
2010-04-03, 10:54 PM
*takes over Australia*Bilbies be where it's at, yo.
I'm not your stereotypical curly-haired kosher kind of Jew, but I AM going to school to be a lawyer. Possibly of the medical variety.Oh gawd. I knew an atheist Jew who was studying law, lived in Sydney's North Shores (the super upmarket part of Sydney), and was the most Jewish Jew I'd ever met - and I'd lived next door to Israelis!

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-03, 10:56 PM
Bilbies be where it's at, yo.
I love Australian names :smallbiggrin:

Deca
2010-04-03, 11:01 PM
I love Australian names :smallbiggrin:

I have to agree with you there. They all sound so nice. Even my hometown's name sounds nice, even though it's named after a horrible, horrible plant that inflicts pain upon people.

druid91
2010-04-03, 11:03 PM
Reason is now known.

Not particularly seeing as my smartness was a point of infuriation for a few teachers as I would either finish what they where doing and read or just get bored and ignore the assignment. I passed through sheer virtue of tests and big assignments.

Serpentine
2010-04-03, 11:12 PM
I used to live in Tallangatta: near Yackandandah, Tangambalanga and Kiewa; down the road from Albury-Wodonga and Barnawartha; west of Corryong, which is itself surrounded by Bringenbrong, Towong, Cudgewa, Berringama and Colac Colac; a couple of hours away from Wangaratta, Mulwulla and Yarrawonga. :wink: :tongue:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-03, 11:15 PM
I used to live in Tallangatta: near Yackandandah, Tangambalanga and Kiewa; down the road from Albury-Wodonga and Barnawartha; west of Corryong, which is itself surrounded by Bringenbrong, Towong, Cudgewa, Berringama and Colac Colac; a couple of hours away from Wangaratta, Mulwulla and Yarrawonga. :wink: :tongue:
Ok, I want Quagmire to repeat everything you just said.

Fawkes
2010-04-03, 11:22 PM
It's annoyingly true. That, or they think of me as gay because I used to do ballet, wore pink to school one day, like showtunes and have a feminine demeanor

To be fair, I think you just got Homosexual Stereotype Bingo.

Serpentine
2010-04-03, 11:35 PM
Ok, I want Quagmire to repeat everything you just said.There's probably a town called "Giggity" somewhere...

Deth Muncher
2010-04-03, 11:38 PM

I would sig this, if I didn't think I'd catch hell for it from someone.

Graymayre
2010-04-04, 12:35 AM
I don't care about someone's use of stereotypes. We all have our own and we all fullfill them for others.

absolmorph
2010-04-04, 01:14 AM
Lets see - I'm wiry and have eyeglasses, I play roleplaying games, I'm a scout, I practice martial arts, I read comics and religious texts for fun... as you should guess, I've been subjected to the weirdest of assumptions.
-snip-
Has other interests than girls and cars = obviously gay. Considering how I behave compared to certain "definitely straight" guys, I have to wonder why they guestion my sexuality. After all, I've never dry-humped or kissed another male, unlike some other folks. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on their part. :smalltongue:
[B]

Wait, dry-humping other guys isn't normal heterosexual behavior? I guess maybe I should so some self examination :smallwink:

Seriously, though. I switch between "is he gay" and "what a man-[impolite word referring to my promiscuity]" for gits and shiggles. And I'm pretty definitely straight.
Although, I really have to admit, some guys make me wonder about myself...
I love taking advantage of the stereo-types I know people have :smallbiggrin:

waterpenguin43
2010-04-04, 08:46 AM
I would sig this, if I didn't think I'd catch hell for it from someone.

I agree. I think it's sad, but really true.

Froogleyboy
2010-04-04, 10:36 AM
people always called me gay, untill one time, a friend of mine yelled "Hell yeah" and kissed me full on the mouth. No one has brought it up again

Dragonrider
2010-04-04, 11:33 AM
My dad has dreadlocks, and thus people assume that he is a stoner. It's really funny (he doesn't even drink).

As a former homeschooler, I get a lot of "you don't seem like you were homeschooled to me!" I'm not sure whether they're thinking of the "homeschoolers as conservative Christians" or the "homeschoolers as unsocialized freaks" stereotype, but either way, I don't fit.

On the other hand, if I label myself "unschooled" (which I was), I get, "then how come you're good at math?" "Then why do you know so much?" which just comes from misconception about what unschooling is.

John Cribati
2010-04-04, 11:51 AM
Fake it?

Tried it. I'm only good at Stereotypical "Caucasian" accents, like British, Australian, and a slight French. No Patois for me, though I'm almost able to do a passable imitation of an African.

Paulus
2010-04-04, 12:54 PM
I switch between "is he gay" and "what a man-[impolite word referring to my promiscuity]"

NO, it's a miserable pile of secrets! ...had to be done.

But seriously. As an actor myself we have classes on 'stereotyping' and typecasting,so believe me when I tell you it is a very real thing. I am 6'2 weigh 355 pounds and NOT obese, just over weight. I have long hair and a goatee and I wear clothing that is comfortable and often threadbare because I am poor. However this gives me the look of 'I don't care what I wear'. Meaning, as of right now I would most likely be hired as a 'Bouncer' 'body guard' 'street thug' 'mafia muscle' 'strong arm' character because I literally "Look the part".

and why do I look the part? because people have a preconceived notion of what a 'strong arm' would look like. And thus as actors we must utilize our 'tools', meaning body, to better sell what character the casting director needs. And often this means reading the script, seeing what type of character it is, and trying to make yourself appear to fit in that role as much as possible. Which means if they wanted a 'flaming gay' I would most certainly dress in pink and rainbows and have a lisp in my voice. Not because I think most gays are like this (and they aren't, believe me) but because the public who would be watching the show does AND because the story calls for it. Why again? because stereotypes are funny, until they happen to you.

Don't deny it, you've laughed at a stereotype somewhere along the line, positive or negative or 'in crowd'. Yes, I'm sure you've laughed at D&D stereotypes before like "That's so true!" perhaps "Where's the mountain dew?" even. But none the less stereotypes are not necessarily 'bad' in that if one is aware of them they can be utilized to save your life. For instance, would you rather someone presenting the stereotype of a homosexual walked you home at night, or someone presenting the stereotype of a gang member?

All in all it is simply human nature to summarize people by the 'idea' they present. We do this daily. Dressing formally for businesses, informally for closeness, hygiene, national pride, sports pride, in every way we CHOOSE to decorate or not decorate ourselves SAYS something about us. It IS sad when one is unfortunately comfortable in a way that is stereotyped beyond their control - such as my inability to wear a blue bandanna (favorite color) because I could get shot- and therefore I understand the general need to vent about them, but make no mistake my friends. They DO exist and they exist sadly for GOOD reason.

Alright, I'll go light on you if you go light on me, they do exist and SOME exist for good reason. Hows that? :3

Deth Muncher
2010-04-04, 12:58 PM
Tried it. I'm only good at Stereotypical "Caucasian" accents, like British, Australian, and a slight French. No Patois for me, though I'm almost able to do a passable imitation of an African.

Pity. :/ 23 skidoo

Moff Chumley
2010-04-04, 01:39 PM

As has been adressed, I can't sig that, but it's going on my Facebook quotes page. :smallcool:

absolmorph
2010-04-04, 02:51 PM
My dad has dreadlocks, and thus people assume that he is a stoner. It's really funny (he doesn't even drink).

As a former homeschooler, I get a lot of "you don't seem like you were homeschooled to me!" I'm not sure whether they're thinking of the "homeschoolers as conservative Christians" or the "homeschoolers as unsocialized freaks" stereotype, but either way, I don't fit.

On the other hand, if I label myself "unschooled" (which I was), I get, "then how come you're good at math?" "Then why do you know so much?" which just comes from misconception about what unschooling is.
Heh. I'm homeschooled (I generally avoid talking about what I do for school because it's hard to explain and leads to explanations of my academic history, which is, to say the least, CONFUSING). Most of my friends are homeschooled, and the ones that aren't have known me since I was in (public) elementary school.
However, I'm a devout Christian (Methodist, specifically). Homeschoolers are consistently surprised to discover this, since I'm... not exactly the most respectful of Christianity.

Frankly, I think I'm lucky. I don't have to deal with any of the flak from stereotypes, most of the time. My friends are all geeky in some way (I've even got a few weaboos, though they don't know it), and most of them are accepting of all sexual orientations. Or gay/bi/not straight themselves. Things can get pretty interesting.

And, Paulus, it did have to be said, though it required some... adaptation.

Paulus
2010-04-04, 03:21 PM

It was either that or start singing Sinatra.
And yes I always get the urge to when someone quotes it.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-04-04, 03:41 PM
The fact is, stereotypes exist for a reason.

If you see a 6 foot 4, 300 pound biker in a dark alley, you're usually safer off walking around him in a wide arc instead of getting to know him as a person. Sure, he may be a great guy or may not even be a biker at all, but would you risk getting beat into a pulp to find out for sure?

Stereotypes exist to speed up our mental processing. You don't need to consciously process every single person you see on the street. Heck, you probably won't even even talk to about 99.9% of them, ever. But by using stereotypes, your brain automatically pegs them into categories, should you need to interact with them.

Face it, a man in a nice suit, with clean cut short hair and an expensive suitcase is more likely to know about nice restaurants or local investment banks should you want to find one than a man with dreads, a rainbow bandanna and a hemp sack. That is not to say that the businessman is, in fact, a businessman and not just a stoner on his way to a wedding, or that the Bob Marley wannabe is not actually a hedge fund manager by day, but by and large, people themselves choose to stick to certain stereotypes.

A hedge fund manager will probably not want to dress like Bob Marley, and a stoner will probably not want to wear suits all the time. That's simply neither what they themselves usually want, nor what society expects of them. And even if we disregard stereotypes completely for a second, businessmen probably wear suits every weekday. Stoners (that is, people who define themselves as stoners) probably don't wear suits more often than "once in a while." If you walk up to a guy in a suit, which archetype is he more likely to be?

Whether this is good or bad, it's up to you. But stereotypes exist for a reason, and that's a fact.

Player_Zero
2010-04-04, 03:57 PM

If you see a 6 foot 4, 300 pound biker in a dark alley, you're usually safer off walking around him in a wide arc instead of getting to know him as a person. Sure, he may be a great guy or may not even be a biker at all, but would you risk getting beat into a pulp to find out for sure?

Isn't that exactly the wrong thing to do? Because I'm pretty sure it is.

Paulus
2010-04-04, 03:57 PM

Sure! He would only be two inches taller then me and I'd love to know how he stays in shape!

Dr. Bath
2010-04-04, 04:09 PM
I eat eels out of a teacup all the time on the apples and pears you wankers. Wearing a tophat and not brushing my teeth are favourite pastimes. Also enslaving people and wear a flat cap on my top hat.

All the stereotypes. All the time.

Froogleyboy
2010-04-04, 04:14 PM
I eat eels out of a teacup all the time on the apples and pears you wankers. Wearing a tophat and not brushing my teeth are favourite pastimes. Also enslaving people and wear a flat cap on my top hat.

All the stereotypes. All the time.

I don't get it

Maeglin_Dubh
2010-04-04, 04:15 PM
I don't get it

That's because he's serious.

Dr. Bath
2010-04-04, 04:26 PM
Of course I'm serious. All british people are serious and polite, and also being chased by a policeman to the sound of quick tempo music from a poor comedy show of the 50s and 60s.

Froogleyboy
2010-04-04, 04:31 PM
oh, your British . . . I get it now

Deth Muncher
2010-04-04, 04:35 PM
Of course I'm serious. All british people are serious and polite, and also being chased by a policeman to the sound of quick tempo music from a poor comedy show of the 50s and 60s.

Well that settles it, I'm DEFINITELY studying abroad in England. That sounds like nothing but fun.

Dr. Bath
2010-04-04, 04:41 PM
Be careful not to go beyond London, otherwise you'll be beset by well meaning but befuddled Welshmen. Or violent Scots. Or drunk Irish.

I am all of these.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-04-04, 05:13 PM
+1 to "they act like that and call me gay?" points.

Apparently avoiding contact or close proximity to other males and having only female friends is a sign that I am, in fact, homosexual to a lot of people. These same people do not believe me when I assure them that I am heterosexual. Preconcieved notions taken to extremes. Having hair longer than some other guys also tends to get me accused of being gay (I have been told countless times that my hair is "too long" and I need to "get a haircut". I'd rather not conform to close-minded and utterly pointless images, actually. Particularly when others sharing hair the same length or longer are not told the same.:smallmad:).

I used to wear a flat cap, it being the only available style of hat that I could stand, but do not anymore. The calls of "choo, choo" (referring to some odd notion of it being a "traindriver's hat") have become much less common, though that people still call it after more than half a year is quite sad.

I am often taken to be a "nerd/geek/other appropriate name", which doesn't bother me. It's gotten me a (deserved, if I do say so myself) reputation for intelligence. Besides which I read D&D rulebooks for fun, usually read the manuals of computer games before play and I'm often found reading, playing computer games (here meaning electronic games on any console) or playing TCGs (more commonly again now) so I can't much complain about the label.

I'm generally quiet, studious and submissive, which does cause people to think I'm weak, and an easy target. Lashing out on occasion seems to get the message across that I shouldn't be messed with, for a few days at a time. That people throw things at me, taunt me within striking distance and other similar things is quite surprising, considering that they know I'm a second Kyu in Shotokan karate (even if they know it in terms of "how far am I from a black belt"). Having changed the area I haunt most often has stopped almost all of it, people just call insults or phrases to provoke me as they pass in the corridors now, the cowards.

English stereotypes are generally quite pleasant, and I'm glad I match up to some (most notably politeness (usually, I can have a foul temper), seriousness (there's a small anecdote to this one) and wearing proper shirts, trousers and shoes at all times (t-shirts tend to be covered in logos, jeans are intolerably uncomfortable in comparison to trousers and trainers share the problem of t-shirts and wear out faster than shoes. All IMO and IME, of course. There are other alternatives but most share similar problems). Not that anyone ever asks where I'm from, I suppose they assume it's the same place as where I live (they'd be wrong. I also moved five times since entering this area (not giving details due to this being the internet) so they probably wouldn't know where I lived anyway).

Basically I've not had good experiences as regards stereotyping. The "gay" one irritates me the most. Femininity in a male does not mean that they are homosexual! Nor does preferring female company (one would think that was obvious, but apparently not for people where I am).

Fawkes
2010-04-04, 06:18 PM
+1 to "they act like that and call me gay?" points.

I have a question for everyone who has posted to that effect: are you in Junior High or High school?

Frozen_Feet
2010-04-04, 06:24 PM
I still got such comments in the army. We were all 20+ old males.

Fawkes
2010-04-04, 06:50 PM
I still got such comments in the army. We were all 20+ old males.

Whatever happened to Don't Ask, Don't Tell? :smalltongue:

Froogleyboy
2010-04-04, 06:54 PM
Whatever happened to Don't Ask, Don't Tell? :smalltongue:

I think that's the navy

Rattine
2010-04-04, 06:57 PM
I don't necessarily get called any stereotypes, but I am often described as "weird" "crazy" "psycho" and "smart". I've seen friends of mine that have had some very mean stereotypes (is there any other kind?), set against them. A couple of my female friends have casually been referred to as certain women who use their bodies for money, if you know what I mean. :smallannoyed: Those of us in our circle of friends may refer to each other as such, but clearly it's meant in good fun, and none of us are bothered by it. It's when someone actually means it that it ticks us off.
Also, I have a lesbian friend that seems to be avoided in school simply for that fact. She has a girlfriend across the pond, and she doesn't flaunt her sexuality, so I don't know what people's problem is with her. She's actually a very cool, and funny person! I guess too many people still have homophobia. Especially in highschool where everyone seems to be about as deep as a kiddie pool. :smallmad:

@V: Thank you. :smallsmile: I try, at least. ^_^;

Froogleyboy
2010-04-04, 07:01 PM
You, Rattine, are a very wise person

Innis Cabal
2010-04-04, 07:01 PM
I think that's the navy

Thats the whole U.S military.

Frozen_Feet
2010-04-04, 07:14 PM
I'm Finnish anyway, we don't have that rule here.

Moff Chumley
2010-04-04, 07:34 PM
*rolls Will save regarding making tasteless jokes concerning stereotypes involving the navy and homosexuality (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw)*

*succeeds, but barely*

:smalltongue:

Had to be done, I'm sorry.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-04-04, 07:36 PM
Heck, at my school I am a stereotype.

''Hobbit''

To some people at my college, when they think of the word ''hobbit'', they actually think of me first before they think of Lord of the Rings hobbits(where it originally came from)

Yes, I'm not tall, I'm a bit ''pudgy''(not overweight, though)
I act reasonably crazy enough that I'm seen as ''me'' and not that much of a stereotype.
Sometimes when I try to explain things I have gotten:
''No, that can't be it, you can do that because you're (insert my name here)''

Heck, I know a couple of people who think I'm well known enough for being me that I ought to be considered a cosplay....

So, yeah, I use the stereotypes of hobbit/crazy.

Also my semi-trans friend(woman, would've strongly preferred to have been born a man, but not trans) who has cat-like tendencies and is a littlle crazy also gets very little people to understand her being (semi-)trans.

Heh, I just realized that either people are very accepting of bi-people in my class or me and my other friend are taking the heat off her by being craaaaaazy.:smalltongue: I hope it's the first. Prolly both. But errr, 3 AM. Sleep, idea. Yes. Night.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-04-04, 09:02 PM
Isn't that exactly the wrong thing to do? Because I'm pretty sure it is.
In some places you will get beat into a bloody pulp just for looking the wrong way at a (insert local violent stereotype here). So no, it's not wrong. Just because some places like well-to do towns in North America or the UK are safe enough that you can walk around biker bars or whatnot, doesn't mean everywhere else is like that.

Partof1
2010-04-04, 11:47 PM
Fact is, I am a geek, and I'm cool with being called as such. I'm thin, have glasses, freckles, little notable muscle, and I talk about Star Wars and wargaming.
However, I am not gay. I have been called gay because I don't willingly intoxicate myself. This is peculiar to me, it is completely unfounded . I can't even have fun with this stereotype, as it is based on not performing an action.

Highschoolers are weird.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-04, 11:52 PM
Fact is, I am a geek, and I'm cool with being called as such. I'm thin, have glasses, freckles, little notable muscle, and I talk about Star Wars and wargaming.
However, I am not gay. I have been called gay because I don't willingly intoxicate myself. This is peculiar to me, it is completely unfounded . I can't even have fun with this stereotype, as it is based on not performing an action.

Highschoolers are weird.

Called gay because you don't drink as a highschooler? I would understand being called "lame" or "partypooper" ...:smallamused: No really though, that's just dumb if they're calling you gay if you don't drink. I mean, if you DID drink and you only drank stuff like Appletinis or Flirtinis, your sexuality might be suspect, but not drinking? Nah, not a viable reason to be called gay.

Crimmy
2010-04-04, 11:59 PM
Called gay because you don't drink as a highschooler? I would understand being called "lame" or "partypooper" ...:smallamused: No really though, that's just dumb if they're calling you gay if you don't drink. I mean, if you DID drink and you only drank stuff like Appletinis or Flirtinis, your sexuality might be suspect, but not drinking? Nah, not a viable reason to be called gay.

I've seen worse. One guy was actually called gay because he would not play soccer.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-05, 12:05 AM
I've seen worse. One guy was actually called gay because he would not play soccer.

Ha-wuuuuuuuuuuh?

mucat
2010-04-05, 12:06 AM
human beings
Highschoolers are weird.
There. The world will make more sense now.

Crimmy
2010-04-05, 12:08 AM
Ha-wuuuuuuuuuuh?

True story. That dude, by the way, was one hell of a basketball player. And they insisted he was gay.

_Zoot_
2010-04-05, 12:13 AM

Really? At my school people all ways say the opposite (jokingly of course, but still).

Xzeno
2010-04-05, 12:22 AM
*rolls Will save regarding making tasteless jokes concerning stereotypes involving the navy and homosexuality (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw)*

...but isn't joining the Navy gay enough to get you kicked out of the Navy? :whateveremoteisusedtosignifyaflippantstatement:

I'm occasionally assumed to be emo because I don't say much. Alas, I am prone to silence when speaking would be better and prone to verbosity when succinctness would be advisable. quod erat demonstrandum.

Dr. Bath
2010-04-05, 05:54 AM
Well if we're talking about incorrect assumption, not actual stereotypes, then people think I'm on drugs all the damn time.

So often. Even when I'm the only sober one.

It's really quite silly.

Winthur
2010-04-05, 07:00 AM
Hm. My drunken brother told me I need to stop growing my hair, because he won't accept a heavy metalman (or as he said, "dirtbag") in his vicinity and that he eats dirtbags for dinner. He wants me bald, despite the well-known George Carlin quote about bald people I threw at him.

The fact that I'm growing it just because I look better this way, but I'm not trying to grow it to the extreme lengths, didn't get to his head. :smalltongue: I'm not even listening to heavy metal all that much. :smalltongue:

He also believes I am gay no-life. (And worthless, too.) That's based off the fact that I wear glasses and I apparently never leave home. He leaves it all the time, so I don't know how he does his research. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-04-05, 07:58 AM
My ex was never offered pot by his friends, cuz they just assumed he was already high...

thubby
2010-04-05, 08:17 AM
between the aviator sun glasses, jacket older than I am, and long-ish hair, I'm not really surprised when people think I'm a hippie, but that they assume I don't have a job is just hilarious.

Thanatos 51-50
2010-04-05, 08:50 AM
Anecdote:
When I was underway with the Fitz, one fo the port calls was an actual liberty port (:smalleek:) in Saipan. Some people, being boring, drunken sailors (One of which happened to be my liberty buddy, but that's besides the point) spent all their time hanging around the local bar/strip club district.
Second night of a three-night port, I happened to wander inside a strip club I knew was extensively populated by Sailors.
Cue the surprised reaction from a coulple people of "Whoa, dude! I though you were gay", usually followed by a hearty slap on the back.
Also usually occurring in the bathroom.

Personally, I would love to know why people thought that, as I was only ever seen in uniform, and spent all my free time I wasn't studying on a computer, reading and sending E-mails to my girlfriend. (Again :smalleek:)

waterpenguin43
2010-04-05, 09:02 AM
Heck, at my school I am a stereotype.

''Hobbit''

Yeah, in my class, there's a guy that says to a short guy: "You can do everything we do, just differently."

Mary Leathert
2010-04-05, 11:06 AM
I'm not sure if stereotyping has been applied to me that much. I'm just interested in Finding out what stereotypes people would have about certain things. Mostly my nationality. So, what do you guys think Finland/Finns is/are like? Of course I'm asking this of non-Finns. :smallwink:

Fawkes
2010-04-05, 11:18 AM
I'd just like to point out that in junior high and high school, the word 'gay' is basically meaningless.

Anuan
2010-04-05, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure if stereotyping has been applied to me that much. I'm just interested in Finding out what stereotypes people would have about certain things. Mostly my nationality. So, what do you guys think Finland/Finns is/are like? Of course I'm asking this of non-Finns. :smallwink:

Awesome.

Above word says it all.

Dr. Bath
2010-04-05, 11:32 AM

Beer drinking rally drivers. Or a moomin.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-05, 11:44 AM

Harcore badass snipers. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4):smallcool::smallbiggrin:

Paulus
2010-04-05, 11:52 AM
I'd just like to point out that in junior high and high school, the word 'gay' is basically meaningless.

This. Honestly, that word has gone to taken on everything negative one could possibly think. Homosexuality, and by that it is intoned that the word is directed solely upon homosexual males, Because people - even gays- prefer a distinction between gay and lesbian. It's funny honestly how such a word which first meant something entirely positive and desired has now become so thoroughly negative. I am reminded of Shawn of the dead which pretty much punctuates the whole thing.

Ed: She dumped you.
Shawn:I have to know if she's all right.
Ed: Why?
Shawn: Because I love her.
Ed: All right, gay.

As an American I can't say I know many stereotyped about the finnish... I'd think sweedish perhaps? Maybe fish slap dance from monty python? or you know the whole bergy bord in brugin speaking? um.. blond hair, blue eyes, super tall, super attractive women, kinda light and happy free fun going?? that's the best I can come up with. Sorry. Americans are notorious for not knowing about other cultures. ...right? Heh. So what are YOUR American stereotypes?

Superglucose
2010-04-05, 11:52 AM
+1 except that people calling me gay bugs the **** out of me. It bugs me because it's not true at all, and because an attractive girl who might otherwise be interested in dating me will hear, "Ooooh, SG is gay?" and then there goes the dating option. It's really not because I have a problem with homosexuality, but absolutely because I have a problem with people calling me things I am not.

Winthur
2010-04-05, 11:54 AM
Finns? Based on the only one I remotely know, they never take the cookie cutter way. :smalltongue:

Frozen_Feet
2010-04-05, 11:55 AM
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention Simo Häyhä. Now I'm getting a serious deja vu feeling about this topic.

TheThan
2010-04-05, 12:17 PM

*succeeds, but barely*

:smalltongue:

Had to be done, I'm sorry.

Will save? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIegHsMXq08) roll again!

Fawkes
2010-04-05, 12:24 PM
+1 except that people calling me gay bugs the **** out of me. It bugs me because it's not true at all, and because an attractive girl who might otherwise be interested in dating me will hear, "Ooooh, SG is gay?" and then there goes the dating option. It's really not because I have a problem with homosexuality, but absolutely because I have a problem with people calling me things I am not.

I wouldn't really worry about that. Everyone gets called gay in high school.

TheThan
2010-04-05, 12:34 PM

back in the day, in my high school, calling someone gay was a sure fire way of starting a fight. But then again I lived in hictown USA so yeah.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-04-05, 12:41 PM

Yeah. Calling somebody gay is just another generic insult - it means nothing. If you think people are being serious about calling you gay, than either act super straight or super gay, by which I mean really sexual with those of the same gender.
People should assume you are kidding, and that should help.
Should being the key word.

golentan
2010-04-05, 01:09 PM
back in the day, in my high school, calling someone gay was a sure fire way of starting a fight. But then again I lived in hictown USA so yeah.

People stopped using gay as an insult in my highschool when the quarterback came out. By savagely beating the people picking on his boyfriend. There weren't any broken bones, so the school looked the other way...

Froogleyboy
2010-04-05, 01:17 PM
there are these girls that always approach me and (no matter how many times I've told them otherwise) say "Y'know, for a person who dosen't bathe, you smell really good."
"Why would you think I don't bathe?"
"I thought hippies didn't bathe" the genuine look of confusion on there faces is always hilarious

Ecks Dee
2010-04-05, 02:48 PM

Just while we're in the 'stereotypes' thread, would you please explain to me what 'an African' sounds like? 'cos of course, Africa, one homogeneous linguistic and cultural mass, y'know ...

valadil
2010-04-05, 03:05 PM
People think I'm a stoner just because I have unreasonably long hair, listen to Pink Floyd and such, view sentence coherency as optional. Other people think I'm a metalhead. And other people think I'm a hipster. Of course, everyone thinks I'm white, which bugs me. I'm Jewish, thanks very much. :smallamused::smallmad:

Same here except for the hipster part. I don't go to Newbury Comics anymore because people always assume I work there. On the street people always assume I have weed to sell. And they get visibly upset if I don't have cigarettes to give out. I guess I just look like I smoke.

Yeah. Calling somebody gay is just another generic insult - it means nothing.

I realize that it's meant that way. I still think it's unfair to gay people to use the word gay as a generic derogatory term. Intentional or not, it uses language to marginalize them. I imagine that coming out is made even more difficult by ones peers using gay to describe everything they dislike!

On an unrelated note, does anyone know why long hair is a geek stereotype? I grew mine out in middle school before anyone else did. By college 90% of my friends had caught on. Is it really just an aversion to paying for haircuts?

TheCountAlucard
2010-04-05, 03:16 PM
So, what do you guys think Finland/Finns is/are like?Admittedly, the only thing I really know for sure about Finland is Lordi. :smallamused:

Fawkes
2010-04-05, 03:16 PM
On an unrelated note, does anyone know why long hair is a geek stereotype? I grew mine out in middle school before anyone else did. By college 90% of my friends had caught on. Is it really just an aversion to paying for haircuts?

Geeks as a whole usually have less care about how they look, usually as a result of poor body image. A lot of geeks grow out long hair and never comb/brush because they don't care enough to bother.

Of course, there are other reasons to grow out hair, but usually, if you see a nerdy guy with long, unkempt hair, he just doesn't care enough to do anything with it.

Asta Kask
2010-04-05, 03:21 PM

Tango, Koskenkorva, knives and mobile phones.

You know how to make Finnish Soup?
Koskenkorva in a bowl.

You know how to make Finnish Summer Soup?
Koskenkorva in a bowl painted with flowers.

You know how to make Finnish Vegetable Soup?
Koskenkorva in a bowl with a slice of cucumber. But remove the cucumber quickly or it will spoil the taste.

Superglucose
2010-04-05, 03:33 PM
Who's talking about high school? :smallconfused:

Fawkes
2010-04-05, 03:55 PM

Okay, how old are you?

Shas aia Toriia
2010-04-05, 03:57 PM

I'd like to change his statement to;

I wouldn't really worry about that. Everyone gets called gay.

BisectedBrioche
2010-04-05, 04:29 PM
Apparently I sound quite stereotypically "British" (if TF2 players are to be believed). Just for the record I was born in Leicestershire (pronounced "less-ter-sheer"), moved to Shropshire, have an English passport (as do both my parents) and one Welsh and one Irish great-grandparent. Also, my surname may or may not be of Scottish origin. I don't get the stereotypical jokes much (mostly because I make them first). One server I used to frequate had a running gag that my voice gave me mind control powers ("You will obey my accent! Give me your taxes in blood!"). :smalltongue:

When my grandmother (who has an even more "British" accent than me) visited America (as she does every so often) she kept being mistaken for Australian though. :smallconfused:

Fawkes
2010-04-05, 04:30 PM

I wouldn't really worry about that. Everyone gets called gay.

But that's not really true.

I don't because I'm an adult and so are the people I deal with on a day-to-day basis.

People grow out of this.

Or, at least they should.

KilltheToy
2010-04-05, 04:40 PM

As a current high school junior, I'd like to second this.

A lot of geeks grow out long hair and never comb/brush because they don't care enough to bother.

That actually applies to me, but nobody calls me a geek. This probably has something to do with the fact that I keep to myself and haven't told anyone that I consider D&D and Warhammer 40k a good time. The nerdiest things other people see me do is attend Video Game Club meetings.

Some people have been freaked out by the fact that I keep to myself and don't talk much. A group that might or might not have included my geometry teacher last year. Fun times....

Then there's the guy that thinks I'm gay. I have no idea why this is. He's just that kind of person, almost like Miko now that I think about it. :smalleek:

ForzaFiori
2010-04-05, 05:01 PM
I constantly get called Mexican, mainly because in my small town, I'm the only tan person who isn't (I'm Italian). It's taken me 4 years, and the embarrassment of proving to people that my last name means "flowers" in Italian, to prove otherwise.

I do however still get called a hippie (long hair, scruffy looking, several of my friends are drug users, and apparently, I act like i'm always on drugs), and gay (just because I don't sleep with every girl in the school apparently)

Frozen_Feet
2010-04-05, 05:33 PM
But that's not really true.

I don't because I'm an adult and so are the people I deal with on a day-to-day basis.

People grow out of this.

Or, at least they should.
Put enough males, of any age, together, and watch how stupidity hilarity ensues. I'm firm on the opinion that even if we men grow out of it, we revert right back once the girls women get far enough.

Dvandemon
2010-04-05, 08:39 PM
I personally hate stereotypes. i usually go play with all the black stereotypes because only my friends bring them up and I can trust them to not mean it seriously. My brother is every less terrible stereotype of a young black man:lazy, unemployed, dresses like a thug. This is made all the more ludicrous given that my other brother, who was born a year earlier, lived the same life and is almost a complete opposite. Don't even get me started on the stereotypical "girly-girl" screaming at bees and bugs. I mean, if you leave them alone and back away slowly then they will leave you alone. Phew...sorry for blowing up, I shall go back to my fun

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-04-05, 08:49 PM
Don't even get me started on the stereotypical "girly-girl" screaming at bees and bugs. I mean, if you leave them alone and back away slowly then they will leave you alone.

I scream at most kinds of insects, especially if they touch me. I don't like bugs. And I'm an grown man.

golentan
2010-04-05, 09:28 PM
I scream at most kinds of insects, especially if they touch me. I don't like bugs. And I'm an grown man.

:smallfrown:

You don't like me?

Dragonrider
2010-04-05, 09:48 PM
Heh. I'm homeschooled (I generally avoid talking about what I do for school because it's hard to explain and leads to explanations of my academic history, which is, to say the least, CONFUSING). Most of my friends are homeschooled, and the ones that aren't have known me since I was in (public) elementary school.
However, I'm a devout Christian (Methodist, specifically). Homeschoolers are consistently surprised to discover this, since I'm... not exactly the most respectful of Christianity.

Frankly, I think I'm lucky. I don't have to deal with any of the flak from stereotypes, most of the time. My friends are all geeky in some way (I've even got a few weaboos, though they don't know it), and most of them are accepting of all sexual orientations. Or gay/bi/not straight themselves. Things can get pretty interesting.

I had a lot of homeschooled friends as well, but now I'm in college and I literally had this conversation with one of my best friends:

Her: "Wait . . . you were homeschooled?"
Me: ". . . Yeah . . . I thought you knew that."
Her: "Wait . . . so you NEVER went to school?"
Me: "That's right."
Her: "But you don't seem homeschooled!"
Me: "What does that mean?"
Her: "You're so good at talking to people!"

I just laughed and laughed.

It's total BS, of course. Homeschoolers are just as good at talking to be people as kids who went to school - many of us relate far better to adults than our peers do, as well.

Kallisti
2010-04-05, 09:52 PM

You don't like me?

Awwww...:smallfrown:

Fullbladder, I hope you're proud of yourself.

Dvandemon
2010-04-05, 10:02 PM

I meant for stereotypes oh Lord Fullbladder

@golentan:Don't worry, we all love like you :smallsmile:

absolmorph
2010-04-05, 10:05 PM
I had a lot of homeschooled friends as well, but now I'm in college and I literally had this conversation with one of my best friends:

Her: "Wait . . . you were homeschooled?"
Me: ". . . Yeah . . . I thought you knew that."
Her: "Wait . . . so you NEVER went to school?"
Me: "That's right."
Her: "But you don't seem homeschooled!"
Me: "What does that mean?"
Her: "You're so good at talking to people!"

I just laughed and laughed.

It's total BS, of course. Homeschoolers are just as good at talking to be people as kids who went to school - many of us relate far better to adults than our peers do, as well.
I... I can imagine having this conversation with some people I know :smallsigh:
We just get our social interaction outside of school (mostly). I don't rely on school to see my friends, so I do stuff with 'em whenever the opportunity comes up. Which is pretty often. Variable schedules rock :smallamused:
I think I'd probably be subtly mocking if I participated in that exchange with someone...

Fawkes
2010-04-05, 10:44 PM
To be fair, there are overly sheltered homeschooled students who have no idea how to react in social situations. My cousin Sam, for example. They're just a relatively small subset of the homeschooled population.

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-05, 11:09 PM

Reminds me of my Grade 7 class. After the teacher said to the class that nobody was allowed to use "gay" as a derogatory remark, one of my class-mates suggested "brussell sprout".

As in "that's so brussell sprout."

Stereotypes? Even though one would expect me to be subject to many stereotypes, I haven't. Kinda strange, really.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-04-05, 11:28 PM

You don't like me?

That is not fair. You're not a bug in my traditional sense. You are a horrifying parasitic abomination or something. As an evil scientist I am obligated to like you.

I'd like you anyway, but my forum occupation demands I do so.

I just don't see why all the good violent video games have to include some form of oversized arachnid.

Serpentine
2010-04-05, 11:43 PM
"Finland Finland Finland,
A place I quite like to be
Eating breakfast or dinner...
Or something something.
Finland Finland Finland!
Finland has it all!
Ooooh quite close to Brussels,
Long way from Japan!
Finland Finland Finland,
Finland something something..."
It's total BS, of course. Homeschoolers are just as good at talking to be people as kids who went to school - many of us relate far better to adults than our peers do, as well.I wouldn't necessarily call it BS. I knew a pair of homeschooled sisters who were the most excruciatingly shy people I've ever met. I really think they would've benefitted a lot by going to school, even if they'd hated it.

Fawkes
2010-04-06, 12:11 AM
"Finland, Finland, Finland
The country where I want to be
Pony trekking or camping
Or just watching TV
Finland, Finland, Finland
It's the country for me

You're so near to Russia
So far from Japan
Quite a long way from Cairo
Lots of miles from Vietnam

Finland Finland Finland,
A place I quite like to be
Eating breakfast or dinner...
Or snack lunch in the hall
Finland Finland Finland!
Finland has it all!

You're so sadly neglected
And often ignored
A poor second to Belgium
When going abroad

The country where I quite want to be
Your mountains so lofty
Your treetops so tall
Finland has it all!

Fixed. :smalltongue:

absolmorph
2010-04-06, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't necessarily call it BS. I knew a pair of homeschooled sisters who were the most excruciatingly shy people I've ever met. I really think they would've benefitted a lot by going to school, even if they'd hated it.
I'm really, really shy. If I don't know at least one person around me, it's very likely I won't say anything at all.
I'm perfectly fine talking to people; I just don't like talking to people I don't know.
And, as far as I know, going to public school doesn't make people less shy. I was more shy in public school (admittedly, that was elementary school and 5 years ago) than I am now. And my homeschooled friends are, on average, far, far less shy than any of my public school friends. Except possibly my friend who does theater. But he's special.
Basically, I'm saying going to public school doesn't make you less shy.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-04-06, 06:01 AM
Just replying to a question earlier, yes I am in secondary school (which is, AFAIK, the equivalent to "high school", or a more accurate name for it, or something). However, I have been called homosexual seriously, just less often. Everything I said previously still applies, including people thinking I was homosexual because I avoid other males.:smallconfused: Can anyone think of a reason why they might think that? It just seems self-contradictory to me. I could understand them thinking I was asexual because of it, but homosexual?

I can't see any other things that I can really comment on, so I'll just lurk for a while.

Serpentine
2010-04-06, 06:07 AM
Fixed. :smalltongue:It would've felt like cheating to look it up...
Basically, I'm saying going to public school doesn't make you less shy.Sure, not necessarily, but I think it could've helped for these two. Certainly couldn't've hurt, and they desperately needed to socialise with someone other than each other (living on a farm wouldn't've helped there).
Seriously. They went to a singing/songwriting workshop... and flat-out refused to sing or contribute in any way. I couldn't understand it... They were actually drawing attention to themselves by their refusal, so it really defeated the purpose.

Viera Champion
2010-04-06, 06:16 AM
Just replying to a question earlier, yes I am in secondary school (which is, AFAIK, the equivalent to "high school", or a more accurate name for it, or something). However, I have been called homosexual seriously, just less often. Everything I said previously still applies, including people thinking I was homosexual because I avoid other males.:smallconfused: Can anyone think of a reason why they might think that? It just seems self-contradictory to me. I could understand them thinking I was asexual because of it, but homosexual?

I can't see any other things that I can really comment on, so I'll just lurk for a while.

You want to know why people call you homosexual even though you avoid other males, eh?

I'll tell you.

It's because the definititon of the word homosexual, like so many other words in our language, has been twisted, so that it's common use has nothing to do with the original definition. It kind of sickens me.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-04-06, 06:49 AM
You want to know why people call you homosexual even though you avoid other males, eh?

I'll tell you.

It's because the definititon of the word homosexual, like so many other words in our language, has been twisted, so that it's common use has nothing to do with the original definition. It kind of sickens me.

They were meaning it as in "is sexually attracted to other males" so I'm sure that wasn't it. Those particular people don't bother me about it any more, I don't think anyone has made the mistake at all recently actually. It is still irritating to be called anything that I am not, seriously or not.

I feel your pain on the words being twisted far beyond their original meaning. We already had a term for the meaning in question, why twist a completely unrelated word? It's easy enough to shorten the proper term if that's the only problem, and I can't see another feasible problem with the existing term that could be so widespread as to completely change the meaning of a word.

thorgrim29
2010-04-06, 07:56 AM
Up here the stereotype about home schooled kids is more "religious nuts" then "painfully shy", since the schools (theoretically anyway, I guess in practice in must depend on the teacher) teach all religions on an equal footing.

Dragonrider
2010-04-06, 11:04 AM
Serp: I dunno, I know someone easily that shy who's gone to public school her whole life and cried every night in eighth and ninth grade because it was such torture. She's better now (she's 17 now) but still. It's really hard to tell if it's personality or upbringing, because you can't separate the two.

We just get our social interaction outside of school (mostly).

Preachin' to the choir. :smallbiggrin:

I think I'd probably be subtly mocking if I participated in that exchange with someone...

Well, she's a really good friend and she just is culturally totally not understand of the homeschooled thing. To be fair, she's lived most of her life in China (where it's not an option), and though she went to high school in the US, it was the kind of school where those stereotypes were doubtless perpetuated.

To be fair, there are overly sheltered homeschooled students who have no idea how to react in social situations. My cousin Sam, for example. They're just a relatively small subset of the homeschooled population.

Yes. It's true. But keep in mind that there are different kinds of social interaction. For me, there were a couple years where I was totally intimidated by anyone my age because I found middle schoolers (girls, anyway) really shallow and I made the decision to just be friends with adults. By the latter half of high school that changed.

The thing I've noticed about most homeschooled kids is their ease with adults. This seems to be true among the most conservative, curriculum-crazy homeschoolers and the most liberal unschoolers. (My family is somewhere moderate on the unschooling side.) My second brother goes on hour-long walks every morning with a 97-year-old woman down the street, and considers her one of his best friends. THAT is pretty cool. And that's "socialization".

Pyrian
2010-04-06, 11:06 AM
...people thinking I was homosexual because I avoid other males.:smallconfused: Can anyone think of a reason why they might think that? It just seems self-contradictory to me.Well, maybe they think guys make you nervous. I certainly know plenty of shy heterosexual men who avoid women!

Ikialev
2010-04-06, 11:11 AM
...people thinking I was homosexual because I avoid other males. Can anyone think of a reason why they might think that? It just seems self-contradictory to me.
- Gay men like other men.
- Gay men not always like to show that to the world.
- Therefore, a gay man must pretend to not like other men, because he doesn't want other people to know that he likes men.

But your people were too smart to fall for this trick. :smalltongue:

Umael
2010-04-06, 02:25 PM
As was mentioned earlier, stereotypes do exist for a reason. People of a certain mindset and subculture tend to dress alike, talk alike, do things similarly, and otherwise give the impression that people from that subculture do that.

But when the stereotype encompasses a very broad group, it gets ridiculous.

Case in point - the gay/homosexual stereotype. Yes, you can have a gay man who is flaming pink like a neon flamingo gay, but that is likely a culture image he has embraced. Being gay is a trait that defines him. But he isn't the only gay man out there, and many of them go about their lives like everyone else.

However, you get people who are, shall we say, stunted in their intellectual acceptance of differences, who ascribe traits to people who are different and try to make those traits stick to others as if their own conviction about someone else was superglue.

Look through the posts in this thread alone:

"You're gay because you never hang out with guys."
"You're gay because you are always hanging out with those guys."
"You're gay because you are a loner."

About the only accusation not represented is "you're gay because you are always hanging out with guys and girls together".

Some people resemble spoons more than knives, if you get my meaning, and worse, some of those don't get much better as they get older.

For the record - being different means that small-minded people who think in cliches have trouble accepting that you don't fit into a nice, neat stereotype. Being different is a wonderful curse sometimes.

golentan
2010-04-06, 02:48 PM
That is not fair. You're not a bug in my traditional sense. You are a horrifying parasitic abomination or something. As an evil scientist I am obligated to like you.

I'd like you anyway, but my forum occupation demands I do so.

I just don't see why all the good violent video games have to include some form of oversized arachnid.

Well, I do have an endoskeleton, and closed circulatory system... Well, did...

I'll accept that. Thank you...

Frozen_Feet
2010-04-06, 02:53 PM
...Finland, Finland, Finland
The country where I quite want to be
Your mountains so lofty...
Mountains? What mountains? Even the tallest fjelds we have are more like glorified hills if you ask me.

Fiery Diamond
2010-04-06, 03:11 PM
The thing I've noticed about most homeschooled kids is their ease with adults. This seems to be true among the most conservative, curriculum-crazy homeschoolers and the most liberal unschoolers. (My family is somewhere moderate on the unschooling side.) My second brother goes on hour-long walks every morning with a 97-year-old woman down the street, and considers her one of his best friends. THAT is pretty cool. And that's "socialization".

I'll second this. One of my best friends is homeschooled and she is super comfortable with adults and always has been. She has more adult friends than same-age friends by magnitudes of 10.

Silly Wizard
2010-04-06, 04:11 PM
I remember back in freshman year of high school, half of the people I knew thought I was Mexican. Some had it confirmed by me speaking Spanish on the phone with my mom.

I spent the rest of my freshman year explaining to people that I am Filipino, and that it was Tagalog, not Spanish.

Cealocanth
2010-04-06, 10:26 PM
I abhore stereotypes of all kinds, including, but not limited to, gay's, retards, bi-polars, women, muslims, mexicans, native americans, chinese people...

One I cannot get past is the widley misunderstood term: Jew.
I am Jewish and I am proud of it. What is wrong with being Jewish, or for that matter, any other religon. The worst part is that people throw it around like it is a curse word (again, don't like that either.) Why can't we just get along.

[Edit: -sigh- let's face it. Stereotypes are a part of life. Being human beings (or monkey's smart enough to use a computer, (lol kidding, kidding,) we are creatures of habit. When one thing works, whether it be a sport or an evaluation of a person's personality, we believe it will work agaiin. This means that if we see a fat mexican wearing a sombrero, we automatically assume that all mexicans are like that. Is there really any way that this can be fixed?]

Superglucose
2010-04-06, 10:31 PM
There's a big difference between someone calling you gay and a bunch of people treating you like you are gay.

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-06, 10:51 PM
One I cannot get past is the widley misunderstood term: Jew.
I am Jewish and I am proud of it. What is wrong with being Jewish, or for that matter, any other religon. The worst part is that people throw it around like it is a curse word (again, don't like that either.) Why can't we just get along.

Human nature, human nature. At least, if you're on the more cynical side of the scale.

But yeah, it's a stupid stereotype. I think, not sure, just think, it's because of Cartman from South Park. One would think you shouldn't put him as a role model, but...

Oh, and about ten thousand years of history and Semetic-Everyoneelse Relations. It's kind of complicated, and may get too political.

Serpentine
2010-04-06, 10:53 PM
Being human beings (or monkey's smart enough to use a computer, (lol kidding, kidding,) we are creatures of habit.Apes, actually. No tail :smallwink:

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-07, 12:25 AM
Apes, actually. No tail :smallwink:

Oh sure, everyone assumes that you're in the same genus as they are, without even checking to see if they're sure!

Humies these days, used to be respectable...