PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Slayers' Guild IC

Gryps2
2010-04-02, 09:04 PM
The city of Nodens lies on both sides of the Elt River, technically extending into Andalas territory. On that side is a mighty stone fortress, built by the previous warlord to protect against attacks from the adjoining region. These days its massive gates are kept open, admitting trade caravans to cross the massive stone bridge to Gramarye and into the city proper. Now ruled by a council of burghers, Nodens is the largest free city in Gramarye, having spurned conquest in favor of trade. That is not to say that the city is entirely without martial character, for in it lies one of the most powerful mercenary organizations in the world, the Slayers' Guild. Founded by Anders Dunov, the very man who overthrew the city's previous warlord and granted it its freedom, the Guild's compound is a large complex lying on the outskirts of the northern end of town. Surrounded by a tall wooden wall punctuated with the occasional stone tower, it contains a half-dozen wooden longhouses for use as barracks, a stone armory with an adjoined smithy, larges stables containing an mix of all manner of steeds, normal and exotic, and a small fortress that included a great hall, a library, and a chapel containing a bevy of small shrines devoted to the numerous gods worshiped by the Slayers. At the center of the compound was a large training yard used for practicing weapons and exercise.

Perhaps you've been in the compound long enough to familiarize yourself with most of it, or perhaps you've merely walked through the gate at the appointed time, but no one who isn't a fully vested Slayer has been allowed to see the inner sanctum of the fortress. But it is to there you have been summoned today, in the hours before noon. Past the great hall with its soaring arches and banners, you are led through stone corridors lit by eternal torches that lead to a solid wooden door, promptly opened for you by your attendant. As you file in, you notice the room itself is fairly sizable, perhaps twenty by twenty feet. The walls are covered by impressive tapestries, depicting griffons, wyverns, and other great beasts being brought down by armored men. At the other side of the room is a fine wooden table, with a few chairs of good make surrounding it. Next to the table itself are two men; one behind it, and one standing in front of it. The man behind it is a grizzled sort, wearing a hooded robe that covers most of his body. On the table in front of his are a few parchments, unreadable from your distance. The man in front however, is much more apt to grab your attention: Anders Dunov himself. Tall and fair-skinned, he looks ten years younger than the forty-something years he is known to have, his short hair still blond without a hint of gray. Clad in simple tunic and breeches, he nods curtly to all as you arrive. "Welcome. Today, you shall become Slayers in full."

The_JJ
2010-04-02, 09:26 PM
Victor Smalls kisses the Wanderer's symbol clutched in his hand before flicking it back into hiding up his sleeve. Perhaps Somona's aspect had no providence over promotions, but one should never turn down a chance at luck.

He was suprised at his own nervousness. He'd never cared to much about his own position in the Guild. Food, fun, friends, he didn't need much more. Hadn't ever needed more. But hey, tell that to the butterflies.

Maybe it was part of being home. In Noldens. Guild headquaters or no the city had a... smell that brought him back to his youth.

The halfling bobbed his head and touched his forehead. Sir.

VinGoodman
2010-04-02, 10:30 PM
Jasker

Jasker smiles at Victor and at the group that stands with him. It's hard to believe he is here this day. And, it would have been near impossible without the assistance and support of the very people that stands here with him today. He silently thanks each of those present, and turns his attention to Anders Dunov himself. Thus focused, Jasker opens his mouth to speak, only to realize this moment is bigger than any words he can lend to the occasion. With a smile, he bows a little more than slightly, paying respect to the man before him and to the occasion itself.

tonberryking
2010-04-03, 09:26 AM
Strago

Strago would rather be somewhere else; in spite of this auspicious achievement the half-orc loathes formalities, shifting his stance in heavy leather boots like a man about to pay hefty taxes. Talked about in some of the circles in the guild for having a swift and easy induction, he is still rather green to the 'bureaucracy' of taking orders, though no hint of rebellion or chaotic orc-ish manners ruin this moment. In spite of his discomfort, he endures, with half hopes of a first assignment as well as status following this event.

esorscher
2010-04-03, 10:18 AM
Mneumos

An elf, clad in a gleaming suit of armor from his homeland, stands at the back of the assembly, resting on the finely made glaive in his right hand. He surveys the crowd from the rear. His focus is not on Dunov, though it should be--he is drawn to the tapestries. His eyes survey these depictions of battle, of glory, of fame, and he wonders if his image might someday grace these walls.

Ellisande
2010-04-03, 10:41 AM
Rhaokarmund

The dwarf smiles slightly--to himself, showing a more formal face to the coming ceremony--and idly wonders what this last step may be. His eyes roll slowly about the room, from Dunov, to the bureaucrat, to the tapestries, to his companions, and back to Dunov. Absently stroking one of the braids of his beard--carefully tamed for the occasion--he awaits the guildmaster's explanation.

Gryps2
2010-04-03, 07:48 PM
Anders looks between the recruits with a steady eye, his expression unreadable. If he's proud, or disappointed, none of it shows, He could possibly just be reserving judgment for after the party succeeds. Or fails.

"No one can truly call themselves a Slayer, until they have brought down a quarry." Anders glances back at the the grizzled man behind him, who picks up one of the rolled parchments and hands it to Anders. "Today, you receive your first quarry."

He holds the scroll out to whoever wishes to take it. "A trader in Andalas, Gon Bashaq, has been a good friend to the Guild. Three of his caravans have been lost in the desert on the trade road to Ullanq. The remains of one have been found, surrounded by the torn remains of its merchants and guards. Its cargo of spices and metals remained untouched."

Anders' eyes narrowed for a moment. "Find the creature that did this. Kill it. Then you can call yourselves Slayers, those that can challenge what normal men dare not." His face reverts back to neutrality. "Have you any questions?"

The_JJ
2010-04-03, 08:48 PM
Victor whistles under his breath, checking over (in two senses of the word) his shoulder at the multi-species menagerie behind (and above) him.

On the one hand, this guy was the head honcho, the big wahooni. Questions from these types tended to err on the side of rhetorical.

On the other hand... this was the bit where they proved their worth. Victor was old hand at Slayer jobs, though he'd neven been official. Walking into a job without every ounce of information at hand was as rookie as it came.

So... any questions? Yes sir. A few, sir. Where, exactly, on the road? Have any other caravan's been hit, or just our friend's? I've seen many flavors of torn apart, but do we know which one? Will be taken at our word, or are we expected to bring trophies, or perhaps we'll be accompanied by some sort of judge? Will we be equipped? Or provided transportation to the site of the attacks? Sir.

Ellisande
2010-04-03, 10:28 PM
Rhaokarmund

The Grykrenese exile bristled proudly at the mission, not realizing that the lionization of the Slayers might be as much for that purpose as a statement of fact. With that burgeoning courage, he slips forward and takes the scroll--and with more curiosity than tact, unrolls it then and there. He skims it as the Halfling speaks, a little bit glad that Dunov's attention is on the outspoken man.

tonberryking
2010-04-04, 09:48 AM
"Was the bodies of the merchants eaten?" Strago questions with a gravelly but even, deep voice. "Said some of the bodies were there, so was the cargo... so was the monster hungry or just plain mean?"

esorscher
2010-04-04, 12:11 PM
Mneumos

Mneumos listens, waiting for the answers to the questions posed by his soon-to-be compatriots, questions he has himself but was not quick to voice.

VinGoodman
2010-04-04, 01:30 PM
Jasker

As the questions pour forth, Jasker watches and listens attentively, for any bit of information overlooked could very well be the bit of information that determines success or doom for this mission.

Gryps2
2010-04-04, 09:43 PM
Anders looks coolly at Victor as he speaks. "Master Smalls, correct?" he says, allowing himself a half-smile, "Very thorough. I have expectations of you. The scrolls your friend just took contain a map indicating where the caravan was found. Bashaq's caravans are the only ones who seem to have been struck thus far, though at the loss of the third caravan all traders have been avoiding the route entirely. Sadly, we have only anecdotes of the bodies' condition to go on. And in the future, your clients will name the conditions that will satisfy them that you have completed your task. As for us, our diviner will be able to apprise the truth of the matter. You'll be provided a spot on the next trade caravan to Ullanq. It is not the route being attacked, though bandits striking from Gramarye have been known to harass it from time to time. I would expect you would have no trouble with them, however. If you should have any equipment requirements beyond your immediate possessions, talk to the quartermaster." Victor, at least, would know the quartermaster usually tends shop in an apothecary behind the library.

He turns his attention to Strago. "I have no exact details, but the scene was apparently so gruesome that the searchers who uncovered it immediately turned tail to Ullanq, and refused to look for the other caravans. Bashaq should be able to give you more details when you arrive."

The scroll, or more accurately, scrolls Rhaokarmund takes contain a fairly detailed map of the afflicted route, between Ullanq and an oasis called Jabrau. Judging from the indication on the map, the attack happened about a quarter way out from the oasis. The second parchment looks to be a letter of introduction from Anders to Gon Bashaq, the trader in question.

Ellisande
2010-04-04, 11:05 PM
Rhaokarmund

The sorcerer's right eyebrow rises slightly. "The searchers turned tail? So the caravan will still be untouched? That could make things a little easier... though scavengers may still get to it first." His musing trails off, as much to himself as any of his companions. "How soon does our caravan leave?" He didn't really have any roots there in Nodens, and could depart any time.

esorscher
2010-04-05, 10:49 AM
Mneumos

"If the investigators couldn't stomach the scene, I doubt scavengers will. Still, never hurts to worry, right?" Mneumos says, his voice growing louder at the end of his sentence, though still far short of a yell. He echoed the dwarf's sense of urgency, however. "Still, the sooner we get there, the fresher the scene."

VinGoodman
2010-04-05, 12:22 PM
Jasker

Jasker voices his agreement regarding the urgency. "I need to gather my belongings for the journey. I can be ready and waiting by the front gates in about one hour's time." Jasker turns to Anders with another slight bow, with a touch to the holy symbol in respect. "By your leave."

The_JJ
2010-04-05, 04:10 PM
That is correct sir. Thank you, sir. I would now like to consult with my new friends on a plan of action and what equipment they have and may need to aquire. Victor turns, butterflies mostly gone, and adresses the team. I agree that we should get out there quickly. The attack sites will be the logical places to start, and even, no, especially in a desert, there are some things that will eat anything. And if we don't want that to be us, we're going to need to stock up on food, water, and possibly appropriate clothing. Thoughts?

VinGoodman
2010-04-05, 04:25 PM
Jasker

Jasker smiles at Victor. "I have enough supplies for, oh, about four days of travel. If there is need for more, I suppose I'll will have to hunt some extra rations down. Will we need mounts for the journey?"

Gryps2
2010-04-05, 09:07 PM
"The caravan leaves at noon. You'll have a few hours to prepare. Gather supplies, bid farewell to loved ones, whatever you wish. Just be sure to get to the Old Fortress by noon." Anders straightens himself up. "Unless there are further questions, you are dismissed to begin your preparations."

The_JJ
2010-04-05, 09:13 PM
Sir. Victor turns to the group. I'm heading to the stores to get some rations and a few extra skins for water. Anything I can get you guys?

Some might think it odd that, finally facing promotion, perennial gofer Victor was still asking to do favors for people.

But he felt it would be good for him to establish a good first impression with the group.

esorscher
2010-04-05, 09:19 PM
Mneumos

"I'll come with you, uh," Mneumos says, tripping over his ignorance. The conversation had been so business, he'd forgotten formalities. "I don't know your name. Though, I suppose, you don't know mine. It's Mneumos. And I'm woefully ill-equipped for a hunt, I've nothing in the way of supplies. Just my weapons and armor."

Ellisande
2010-04-05, 09:51 PM
Rhaokarmund

The Dwarf shakes his head. "No, no more questions of yet." He glances down at the scrolls. "I'm sure we'll have some for Master Bashaq once we arrive."

Dismissed, he turns his attention to his companions and joins their introductions. "I'm Rhaokarmund, of..." He trails off, not wanting to discuss his exile at the moment. "But you can call me Rhao, or Karmund, whatever suits you. Like Mneumos, I have next to nothing in supplies for travel... Other than food, any idea what we'll need?" He glanced from one companion to the next. "I'm happy to come to the shop, if you think you'll need an extra pair of arms."

VinGoodman
2010-04-05, 11:05 PM
Jasker

"Thanks for the offer everyone. I think I am fine for now. I'll go grab my gear and meet everyone at the shop. We can go from there to the caravan together." With that, Jasker heads back to his quarters to gather his belongings for the trip, and rejoins the group shortly thereafter at the shop.

Gryps2
2010-04-07, 06:24 PM
Leaving the tapestried meeting room, the party is free to go about its business. After completing whatever preliminary errands they might have, they find themselves back in the fortress, passing the Guild Library, which contains a truly impressive amount of tomes and scrolls, possessing perhaps the world's greatest store of knowledge about esoteric beasts and monsters. Oftentimes, when a Slayer party knows something of their quarry, they consult the tomes to figure out as much about it as they can before departing. Next to the library itself is the apothecary, the usual spot to find the Guild's resident quartermaster, Firnas Edajour, a former traveling healer from Andalas.

Inside, the apothecary is a something of a mess. Behind a large wooden bar are great shelves filled with scrolls and flasks, some glass and some metal. On the far side of the room are three tables, each heaped with scrolls and alchemical equipment. Leaning over one of the tables and carefully decanting one of the flasks is a young olive-skinned man in Andalaian garb: a loose tan robe, and white headwrappings. He turns as the group enters, noting Victor in particular. "Ah, Master Smalls. How can I help you and your friends?"

The_JJ
2010-04-07, 11:50 PM
Victor Smalls

The halfling shakes the hands of his new partners. "Rhao, Mneumos. My mother named me Victor, the streets called me Smalls, but you can call me Vic. Or Vinny."

The halfling leads the others through the compound all the while muttering to himself things like "2 days in, 5 quarts water, we're in to kill not capture, no need to feed it. Mmmm I bet Sally's done some nice scones today. Damn, no time for eating. Well, when we get back. Where was I? Right, so I've got extra room for..." He stops muttering as he approaches the apocarthy and sees the man inside.Somona Bless, Master Edajour. I am doing swell. I've got a new hunt on hand, my initiation test. The halfling picked up and peered into a potion bottle. We're looking to supply up for an expedition to the desert. I was thinking a few weeks food, water, and some clothing.

Say, you heard about this Bashaq attack, right? Any idea's what we're up against? We don't exactly have time to hit the books but, any advice would be helpful.

Ellisande
2010-04-08, 04:18 PM
Rhaokarmund

The sorcerer glances around the room, intrigued by the smorgasbord of tonics and tubules. "Food, water..." He muses to himself. "Will we need tents? Or perhaps healing potions?" He didn't know the desert well, but tried to be helpful.

VinGoodman
2010-04-08, 11:24 PM
Having grabbed his gear, Jasker rejoins the group at the apothecary. "Master Healer! Did you hear? They are going to make me a Slayer!" Jasker pauses just long enough to bow slightly in greeting. "I could use a week's worth of rations."

Gryps2
2010-04-09, 06:18 PM
"Ah! So you are the lucky group! I had heard we had an initiation going on, but I had not heard who it was! Come!" Firnas abandons his alchemy for the moment, going behind the large wooden bar and crouches down for a moment. Reaching his hands up, he places six cups on the top of the bar before straightening up with a bottle of wine in his hand. "First, we drink!"

Pouring some wine into each of the cups, he continues to speak. "Yes, I had heard about Bashaq, I regularly receive supplies from him. So you're the ones handling that? I wish you well, but I cannot say how much I can help you besides giving you some supplies. Many creatures in the desert could do such a thing... blue dragons, wyverns, monsterous scorpions, all have been known to be at those latitudes." Having filled the cups, he pauses for a moment to ruminate. "If I were you, I would save the bulk of my supply shopping for when you consult Master Bashaq. If he can give you better information, you could tailor your acquisitions accordingly."

The_JJ
2010-04-09, 06:32 PM
To Somona! Victor knocks back his drink in one go. Mmm... that's good. Just like your advice. Still, I'll take some rations for the journey. Ten day package? With a flourish, the halfling 'appears' a stack of five gold onto the table.

Sleight of Hand:

[roll0]

Edit: ... well, now's the time to fumble...

... or at least that was the idea. Sorry 'bout that. Doesn't normally go that way. Victor said as he scrabbled beneath the shelves and furniture for the loose coins that had sprayed everywhere. What all was in that cup?

Ellisande
2010-04-10, 06:28 PM
Rhaokarmund

Karmund takes his drink delicately, though certainly not with distaste, and raises it to the generous storekeep. "Thanks for the good wishes. We're proud for the opportunity." He was, at least.

After toasting his companions and taking a long sip as Victor gets down to business, he adds to the order. "I could use food as well, and perhaps a bedroll. My old one, alas, had too many nights with the rats." He couldn't remember how long ago that was, however.

Having placed his order, he steps back, listening carefully to see if anyone else orders something he may have forgotten.

esorscher
2010-04-11, 02:04 PM
Mneumos places an order for standard adventuring gear, dropping the 25 coins on the counter. "Scorpions? The poisonous kind? Perhaps some antitoxin would do us good," he suggests, though lacking the gold to purchase it, leaves it off his order.

VinGoodman
2010-04-11, 06:53 PM
"Yes, we drink!" Jasker takes a glass and raises it to Firnas, before drinking from it. "Ah, excellent wine. A better sendoff a man could not wish for."

He listens to Firnas as he drinks the wine. "Thank you Firnas. That is wise advice, as always. Other than the rations, I shall hold off on additional purchases until we have consulted Master Bashaq." Jasker pulls out three gold coins and puts them on the counter by the wine glasses. "For the six days' worth of rations please."

Gryps2
2010-04-11, 07:04 PM
Firnas glances down at the money and chuckles. "Please, don't worry about that now. You can pay me when you return with your bounty. Just tell me what you require and I'll send it on a cart with you to the caravan." He absently pulls out a piece of parchment and dabs a feather pen into an inkwell. "Rations, antitoxin and adventuring gear, then?"

The_JJ
2010-04-11, 07:09 PM
Victor stands up and dusts himself off. Thank you Firnas. I just wanted to show off my new trick. It was, he knew, a subtle vote of confidence. Dead men pay no debts, so a little advance credit here was a nice little way of saying 'you'll be fine.' Alright fellas, I'm off to the wagons.

VinGoodman
2010-04-12, 01:15 AM
"Firnas, can you see if you can dig up a crossbow with about 30 bolts for me? It may be time I try using one of those again." He grabs his glass and downs the last of the wine. "Until we return." With a bow and a wave, he follows Victor out of the apothecary and to the wagon.

tonberryking
2010-04-14, 04:49 PM
Strago looks at the glass offered to him and it seems to take a blink of an eye before the tumbler is emptied, the half-orc wiping his lips. "Gonna need somma that antitoxin m'self, a tent, and enough rations fer me anna wolf." he rattles off, pointing and gesturing with a thick index finger. Rope anna hook wouldn't be unwelcome, either.

Beyond that, the warrior tracker is as silent as a statue. Working with others isn't entirely alien to him, but he remains a stranger to the others for the moment.

Gryps2
2010-04-15, 02:32 AM
Firnas scribbles the order down in his looping, ornate handwriting. "Hmm, alright, I'll muster up some clerks to fill your order at once. Good day to you." he says, then smiles. "And good luck. Say 'hello' to Master Bashaq for me."

Leaving the apothecary and going to the wagons takes you through the city itself. Relatively prosperous, the cobbled roads are lined with clean wooden buildings, mostly shops and smithies. To the Gramaryans, it is probably one of the largest cities they have ever seen, thought to a Balhaean like Rhaokarmund the city might seem almost provincial. Eventually you cross the bridge to the Old Fortress, a truly impressive stone structure with tall sandstone battlements. Inside the fortress's walls, a large assortment of wagons and horses are assembled, with large groups of men and material milling about between them. In this ocean of trade, it's hard to tell which caravan is yours. Eventually, you hear someone calling. A young half-elven woman looks to be waving in your direction, clad in rugged exploring clothes and a half-cape with the Slayers' Guild's crossed spears insignia on one flap. "Hoi there! Over here!"

VinGoodman
2010-04-15, 08:04 AM
Jasker approaches the woman, looking about as he goes. "Greetings. Are you here concerning the business of Master Bashaq? If so, I am glad you're here. I had feared we'd be lost in this...chaos." He bows respectfully to the half-elf, and then engages in conversation as he waits for the rest of the group to join him.

tonberryking
2010-04-16, 08:57 AM
Strago peers at the half-elf with mild suspicion; he can never figure out how young (or old) elven-kind are, a fact that is to his annoyance when trying to read people.

"Where's Bashaq? We's supposed to see him 'fore we take our leave," he huffs, a little agitated being hunkered down amongst so many people crowding such a large place.

Gryps2
2010-04-16, 04:12 PM
The half-elf clasps Jasker's hands and shakes vigorously. "That's right! It's so good to meet you! I'm Melwen Grenning, I'll be your field support!" She looks, well, up at Strago, and seems to decide that a more reserved manner would be appropriate for him. "Um, you'll be meeting Master Bashaq when you get into Andalas, sir. If you follow me, I'll lead you to the caravan."

esorscher
2010-04-16, 05:05 PM
"Excellent," Mneumos said, eying the half-breed carefully. He could not help but feel the customary disdain that most elves felt, viewing half-elves. "The sooner, the better." He was anxious to get started, to prove his worth.

Gryps2
2010-04-16, 05:54 PM
Melwen looks a little hurt by Mneumos's curt manner, her manner becoming more subdued. "Oh yes, of course sir. Right this way." She begins to weave through the crowd, leading the party towards a five wagon caravan near the great gate of the Old Fortress. The short trip seems to have revived Melwen's spirits, and her enthusiasm returns as she speaks. "Here we are! The last wagon has been reserved entirely for our use! If you have ordered any supplies to be sent here, I'll glad wait for them while you get yourselves situated!"

The wagon itself seems comfortable enough, roughly ten feet long with a solid wood construction and frame supporting a canvas roof to keep the sun off of the wagon's contents. Four sturdy looking draft horses are hitched to it, currently being looked over by the driver.

VinGoodman
2010-04-16, 07:04 PM
"Thank you ever so much, Melwen. You have been most helpful. As field support, will you be traveling with us to Andalas? How long is the journey there with the caravan, you reckon?" Jasker smiles at Merlwen as he speaks, glad to have someone coordinating the preparatory efforts.

Ellisande
2010-04-16, 11:50 PM
Rhaokarmund

Rhaokarmund, on the other hand, falls easily into the habit of being waited on. Not haughtily so much as thoughtlessly, he inquires, "I don't suppose there are plenty of pillows inside? I'd forgotten to order any." He sighs slightly. "Still, it'll get us there without trouble, I'm sure. Indeed, with those horses, it shouldn't take much time at all." In truth, he hadn't the faintest idea of the horses' quality, but was given to the Gyokrenese habit of compulsive compliments.

tonberryking
2010-04-17, 01:41 PM
Strago gives Mneumos a withering warning glance, the OTHER half-breed's sensibilities offended here. With a more polite nod to the half elf, he inspects their traveling wagon to get his mind off the moment. "Good stock?" he asks the driver with a wave towards the horses. "Ain't easily scared, is they? We may have onner two wolves around our wagon but they ain't meanin' no harm, if you follow me. Don't want any unnecessary surprises for you; that's what a Slayer'll have to put up with."

The_JJ
2010-04-17, 04:09 PM
Victor comes bouncing down the street, pack over his shoulder. Hello there! I suppose you're to be our field support? Wonderful! Victor reaches out to shake hands with the woman. He seems engaged in a willful competition to out eager this new face. Good to meet you, I'm Victor. Now which wagon is ours?

Gryps2
2010-04-17, 07:46 PM
Melwen returns Jasker's smile, apparently grateful for the nice treatment. "Oh, yes, I'll be traveling with you to Andalas, though I won't be participating in the hunt directly. I'll be staying in Ullanq, and - ah!" she abruptly pauses, reaching behind her into a pouch and producing a scroll. "You're the caster, right?" she saying, looking at his holy symbol, "here! Just use this and I'll bring whatever you ask into the field!"
She hands him the scroll before tapping her chin to reflect. "Our trip should take four days, I think, depending on the weather. But the scenery on the way is very pretty!"

She glances towards Rhaokarmund."Ah, well, I believe there's blankets and bedrolls aboard you could use to get comfortable with, but..." Her train of thought seems to be interrupted by Victor's arrival. She shakes hands with him quite eagerly, smiling. "Oh, hello! Yes, I'm your field support. I'm Melwen Grenning. I was just showing everyone to the wagon. It's right over here!"

Meanwhile, over at the wagon itself, the driver glances over at Strago. Obviously a native of Andalas, his portly frame is covered by a light green robe with white sashes. He has a bushy black beard and the hard appraising eyes of one well-traveled. He gives Strago a measuring look before responding. "Good as stock as any, Master Slayer. No horse can take the smell o' wolf for long, though, so try and keep 'em downwind if you can."

VinGoodman
2010-04-17, 08:56 PM
"Thanks Melwen," Jasker responded as he takes the scroll and studies it.

OOC What exactly does the scroll do? Feel free to respond at the OOC thread while moving the IC thread along. Jasker will continue to engage in conversation with Melwen for the duration of the trip, as she has been both interesting and helpful.

Ellisande
2010-04-17, 11:10 PM
Rhaokarmund

"The view is good, you say? I'm eager to see it." Any disappointment that may have existed at the wagon's accouterments is already gone from the dwarf's mind and manner. He helps himself into the wagon, carefully selecting a seat next to a gap in the canvas cover, taking a tentative look through. He settles down, doing a final once-over of his pack, then leans back, relaxedly stroking one prong of his beard. "I've never been to Ullanq, you know," he says to no one in particular, then turns his attention to Melwen as she boards. "Do you go there often? What's it like?"

esorscher
2010-04-17, 11:14 PM
Sufficiently chastised, Mneumos takes a seat quietly in the opposite corner. He plasters a steely stare on his face as he listens to the conversation that unfolds.

Gryps2
2010-04-18, 11:26 PM
Melwen turns to Rhoakarmund as the driver makes the finishing touches to the harnesses. "I've been there a few times before. It's a huge city, even larger than Nodens! There's a magic academy there, the Solar Cathedral, and harbor that stretches as far as the eye can see!" she says, clearly getting swept up in the remembrance. As she does so, the cart containing the party's requested supplies arrives, and she and the driver help to load them into the wagon as the party gets situated. Along with their requested items, Firnas seems to have given them a gift for the start of their new careers: a potion of cure light wounds for each of them. With the cargo and group safely aboard, Melwen hops aboard with the party as the driver takes the reins, setting out with the rest of the caravan.

The journey is for the most part rather pleasant. Fair weather prevails as the caravan winds its way through the hill country in the northern part of Andalas. Melwen points out a few sites on the trip, from a large monolithic stone of unknown origin to a hallowed spot in a small trade stop where Mithras himself is said to once have stood, delivering his laws onto mortals. Besides the conversation and scenery, however, the first two days are rather noneventful.

On the third day, an hour or so after noon, the caravan comes through a rather narrow part of the trail, squeezing and winding between several scrub-covered hills. Abruptly, the horses drawing the wagon start to neigh and and buck before the driver pulls the reins sharply to curb them. Strago's wolf, who had previously followed obediently at a safe distance, has come up alongside the cart, snarling and casting its gaze across the hills. The driver gives the wolf an annoyed glance. "Get that beast outta here!"

VinGoodman
2010-04-19, 01:48 AM
Jasker smiles at Strago. "I think he's talking to you, friend." Turning to Melwen, he continues the conversation from before the interruption. "Let's see, where were we. Ah, yes, do you remember your first field support assignment?"

The_JJ
2010-04-19, 04:45 PM
Victor lifts his cap from over his face and sits up. He'd traveled with wildmen and their companions before. These animals were smarter than most and fiercely protective. And he'd stalked a few strange canines to know how sensitive their ears and noses were. He slips a hand beneath his robe and hops off the cart into the scrub on the side of the road.

tonberryking
2010-04-19, 09:01 PM
Strago gets up and buckles on the sword belt for one sword and then slings his more impressive blade--the hiltless bastard sword whose blade was a long triangle of steel and craftsmanship-- over his back. Exiting the wagon from the back and whistling for Notch, he hops the wagon and up on the hills as well.

"Gonna see iffin I can catch something for our dinner. It'll keep Notch away from the horses." he starts walking, or perhaps climbing up through the scrubs. After his wolf joins him, though he snaps his fingers and then two wolves, the new one a big black brute, head off into the hills.

Translated from Wolf:The hell's gotten into you?" Wolf-Strago demands as he leads his friend to hunting. ...Assuming there's no trouble.

And if there IS no trouble, survival check to get some vittles: [roll0]

Gryps2
2010-04-20, 11:21 PM
Notch follows his master, though he's rather slow to do so, seeming uneasy at something. "Bad smell. Unnatural. Don't you smell it?" he growls, casting his gaze to and from. Indeed, now that Strago has shifted into a wolf's form, his newly attuned senses can detect the faint smell of pitch.

On the caravan, Melwen considers Jasker's question for a moment before responding. "Oh, it was helping a group who was hunting a quarry for the Duke of Krundar. The new duke's mad on hunting all manners of exotic beasts, and often hires teams of Slayers to help him on the more dangerous hunts." She pauses as Strago and Victor go over the side of the wagon and into the bush. "What's with them?"

No sooner than she asks this then sharp crack of timber and a loud whine of pain comes from the front of the caravan; from their position Victor and Strago can both see that the horses of the front wagon have fallen into a shallow pit trap. Before anyone can react, three burning arrows soar towards the caravan from a hill to the side of them; one overshoots but the other two strike home, one hitting the driver of the lead wagon, injuring him severely, while the other hits the canvas roof of the Slayers' wagon. Melwen lets out a cry of surprise. "Bandits!"

Ellisande
2010-04-20, 11:56 PM
Rhaokarmund

Rhaokarmund's mind whirled as he tried to recall if he'd ever heard of the Duke of Krundar. Before anything popped into his head, the arrows started falling. He sat up, bolt straight, looking through the thin hole in the canopy.

As Melwin's word drives home the fact that they are under attack, he quickly begins whispering mystic words of protection.

[roll0]

HP: 34/34
AC: 13
Saves: FORT 4, REF 3, WILL 4

No effects, yet. His first action is to cast Mage Armour, which will increase his AC to 17 after his turn.

esorscher
2010-04-21, 12:16 AM
Mneumos leapt from his position in the caravan, springing off 40' in the direction the arrows were fired from, his Glaive in front of him at the ready. His eyes scan for the source of the arrows, his elf ears attempt to pick up the slightest noise. He even flares his nostrils, getting a third sense in the search.

Nostril flare just for effect. Initiative 19 (from OOC thread)

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

HP: 44/44
AC: 19
Saves: 5/7/1

VinGoodman
2010-04-21, 12:23 AM
Jasker

Bandits! Jasker repeats silently to himself. He grits his teeth in anger as he sees the flames spreading, and wonders how Strago, the wolves and the driver are faring.

Forcing himself to focus, he clasps one hand on the holy symbol as he chants a divine incantation. A wave of divine energy bursts forth from the symbol, engulfing all the allies within 50' of Jasker and exhorts them with heighted aim.

With the chant completed, Jasker reaches back with his free hand and grabs his crossbow as he heads to the back of the wagon to peer out and assess the situation.

OOC Initiative: 19 (see OOC thread)

Blessed Aim on allies within 50' of Jasker. +2 morale bonus to ranged attacks.
Then grab light crossbow from the back (buckler still in effect, with crossbow in one hand) as he moves to the back of the wagon (hopping off if the fire is spreading quickly and he have enough movement to do it this round).

HP: 39/39
AC: 15 Flat Footed 10 Touch 15
Saves: +8/+3/+8 (includes effect of Prayer, but not Vestments)

Ongoing Effects:
Vestments of Divinity (constant)(+1 sacred bonus to saves vs evil creatures)
Lenses of Revelation (constant)(detect undead/evil outsiders)
Prayer (persisted)(+1 luck bonus to atks, wpn dmg, saves, skills)
Blessed Aim (0/60 rounds)(+2 morale bonus to ranged attacks)

The_JJ
2010-04-21, 10:05 AM
Victor

Victor stumbles a bit as he comes off the wagon, but soon rights himself. He sees the elf go shooting past and swears under his breath. Bravery might be very well and good but charging ahead of the team without communication or recon was a big no go.

At least the preist in back had a good idea going. Victor shakes out his sling and loads a bullet, jogging forward and then whipping it past Mneumos' ear.

[roll0]

I'll have to roll attack and damage in the ooc thread, wanted to see my initiative order first. :smallfrown:

Anyway, Victor will use his move action to close, then he'll attack with his sling.

Victor Smalls

HP: 27
AC: 21, touch 15, flat 17
Saves: 3(4)/10(11)/2(3)

On going effects:
Blessed Aim (0/60 rounds)(+2 morale bonus to ranged attacks)

Attack bonus with the sling: +14(!) (+1 if they're within 30 ft, -2 if they're beyond 50 ft, -4 if 100, etc.)
Damage with the sling: 1d3+1 (+1 if they're within 30 ft.)

tonberryking
2010-04-21, 10:45 PM
Two wolves make their way to the archer's position, but Strago doesn't run barreling into them, taking his time, focused on this impromptu prey, the wolf-ranger and companion wolf sneak through the brush before settling down to launch their attacks...

[roll0] [roll1] Move silently for Strago and Notch respectively, and hides: [roll2] [roll3]

Gryps2
2010-04-22, 01:35 AM
Mneumos's warrior reflexes serve him well, as he's the first one off the cart and onto the ground, rushing through the bush in the general direction of his enemies. His fleetness of foot and elvish senses aren't enough to allow him to sniff our his opponents instantly, however. Jasker is not far behind, poking his head out of the wagon fast enough to see the first of the archers pop out from behind their concealment, sending an arrow whizzing narrowly past his head.

In the bushes, Strago manages to glide silently and unseen through the bush, but his wolf companion is less likely, a stick crunching under one of his paws. At roughly the same moment someone bursts through the bushes to the side of Mneumos, taking the elven warrior by surprise... but not by enough, as he is able to narrowly twist out of the way of the man's unarmed blow. He gets a good look at his assailant: a bald man dressed in rags, his wiry body a mass of scars.

Another archer stands up, launching an arrow towards Notch, the arrow streaking through the intervening bush to lodge itself in the wolf's shoulder.

6 damage to Notch.

Back in the wagon, Rhaokarmund's defensive spell goes off without a hitch. He will probably notice though that the burning arrow has lit the wagon's canvas on fire, which will probably spread unless someone does something about it. A third archer pops up and releases an arrow at Mneumos, the arrwohead cutting his tunic as it passes, though it fails to injure him. Melwen draws two daggers from concealed wrist sheathes and hops out of the wagon, heading to the side of the path next to Victor. Finally, Victor unleashes his sling bullet at the third Archer, hitting him cleanly in the shoulder and briefly staggering the man.

Crit confirmed, 6 damage dealt.

esorscher
2010-04-22, 02:21 AM
Mneumos activates his anklet, teleporting to the other side of his foe. He takes a 5' step back, and strikes with his glaive from 10' away.

Attack v. Thug: [roll0], [roll1]+[roll2](skirmish damage)

(Anklet of Translocation counts for 10' of movement.)

HP: 44
AC: 20 (+1 Skirmish)

Effects: Skirmish, Dodge (+1 AC) v. Thug

VinGoodman
2010-04-22, 09:41 AM
Jasker - glad to see only one arrow struck the wagon itself, and the canvas at that - drops the crossbow and pulls out the dagger and begins to cut the canvas a bit of distance away from the origin of the burn and the fire.

OOC Jasker will cut a hole quite a bit bigger than where the fire started, using the distance to buy him a little bit of time before the fire hops over his cut line. If he succeeds, the canvas piece, without support, should flop the the ground, burning, and he'll beat it down to smother the fire. Will that work? If yes, how many rounds (so I can track the passage of time)?

HP: 39/39
AC: 15 Flat Footed 10 Touch 15
Saves: +8/+3/+8 (includes effect of Prayer, but not Vestments)

Ongoing Effects:
Vestments of Divinity (constant)(+1 sacred bonus to saves vs evil creatures)
Lenses of Revelation (constant)(detect undead/evil outsiders)
Blessed Aim (1/60 rounds)(+2 morale bonus to ranged attacks)

Effort: Put out fire (1/x rounds)

The_JJ
2010-04-22, 05:23 PM
With one strike made Victor loads a bullet and advances once more, unleashing another shot. Not much to do now but close in. Maybe if he kept hitting that guy with the bow he waste a few shot after him, instead of focusing on where Strago was.

This was still shaping up to be a disorganized mess.

ooc:
Two notes: First, Victor moved forward before attacking and second, that was a natural six that added up to 20. I added the crit confirm just in case, because you can't edit rolls in. So no crit for me. :smallfrown:

Victor Smalls

On going effects:

Attack bonus with the sling: +14(!) (+1 if they're within 30 ft, -2 if they're beyond 50 ft, -4 if 100, etc.)
Damage with the sling: 1d3+1 (+1 if they're within 30 ft.)

Attack:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]
Crit Confirm
[roll2]

Ellisande
2010-04-22, 06:47 PM
Rhaokarmund

The dwarf reaches for a waterskin to empty over the smoldering canvas, then sees that the swifter Jasper has the matter in hand. Jumping down from the wagon to the comforting ground below, Karmund glances around to spot his foes. He raises one hand to point towards the archers, and softly murmurs a single word of Draconic. "Burn!"

Note: If Jasper doesn't get the fire, Rhao will change his action to something attempting to deal with it.

Action: Unleash his reserve feat, Fiery Burst on the archers--it's a 5-ft radius effect, so if he can hit two or three of them, he will. (It's got a 30' range--if they're farther than that, let me know, and I'll change the action!)

Damage (Reflex Save for half*): [roll0]

AC: 17
Saves: Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +5

Effects:
Mage Armour (inc. above)
Prayer (save bonus included above)
Blessed Aim (pretty irrelevant)
Arcane Earthbond (DR1/Adamantium, Alertness)
Power of Stone (+50% range, +1 Spell Save DCs)

*See pending post in the OOC thread re: DC

Gryps2
2010-04-26, 02:07 AM
Mneumos's suddenly teleportation surprises the scarred man enough for him to land a solid blow on his opponent's strangely unarmored body. Back at the wagon, Jasker's quick-thinking saves the wagon, as he is able to cut the cheap canvas easily and remove the burning action, smothering it in short order. An arrow cuts the air just next to Mneumos's head; apparently he's caught the eye of one of the archers.

From their position in the bush, Strago in his wolf form and his loyal companion burst from cover to assail the archers from the rear. His shoulder wounded, Notch's charge comes up short. Strago however sinks his fangs into one of them, provoking a shrill cry of pain.

Grinning at Mneumos, and seemingly unconcerned by his gaping wound, the scarred man darts towards him with another unarmed blow, managing to strike the elf with a two finger stab in the side of his neck. The blow numbs Mneumos's body, causing his muscles to slacken. The scarred man sneers, "You lack the true strength. Permit me to enlighten you."

Weakening Touch on Mneumos; -6 penalty to Strength for 1 minute.

Dropping his longbow, one of the archers turns to confront Strago, pulling the battleaxe from his back and swinging it down at the transformed half-orc, delivering a cut to his haunches.

5 damage to Strago.

Hearing the cry of surprise from the archers and seeing one of them turn to face an unseen opponent, Rhaokarmund is forewarned about his friends' position and able to adjust his attack accordingly, scorching the archers and the bushes affording them cover. Judging from the shocked exclamations, neither of them reacted in time to avoid damage. The one struck by Strago looks particularly bad off, he staggers and barely seems able to stay upright. Another archer lets loose with a curse and an arrow at Rhaokarmund, the dwarf's magical armor deflecting the shot.

Melwen stays close to Victor, looking for an opening as Mneumos and the scarred man fight a few yards in front of them. "He's not going to get mad if I help him, is he?"

Finally, Victor is able to sling a stone upwards and hit the same archer he had previously, avenging the arrow that the archer had sent towards Rhaokarmund.

esorscher
2010-04-26, 09:50 AM
[Where are these attack rolls being made?]

"Why the hell would I get mad!" Mneumos calls to Melwyn. He feels the strength leave his body, leaving him just stronger than the average man. He smiles. "I've still got plenty of juice left," he sneers are the scarred man. "Let's see how much is still in you." He hops around the man, moving to the scarred man's back before stepping 5' away and bringing his glaive slashing down.

Attack: [roll0], [roll1] + [roll2]

AC: 20
HP: 44/44

Effects:
Dodge (+1 AC v. Scarred Man)
Mobility (+4 AC v. AoO)
Skirmish (+1 AC, +2d6 damage (included above))

So his AC for the AoO is 25.

VinGoodman
2010-04-26, 03:38 PM
Knowledge Devotion. 15 and under for +1. 16+ for +2.
Knowledge: Local [roll0]

Happy that the fire did not cause extensive damage, Jasker sheathes his dagger and grabs his crossbow as he ducks his head out front to check on the driver and the fighting scene around the wagon.

Ellisande
2010-04-26, 10:29 PM
Rhaokarmund

Emboldened by the arrow's deflection, Rhao steps forward. Loathe to throw another fireball around the battling Strago, he changes spells. As he gestures wildly, several bolts of mystical force hurl across the battlefield.

Magic Missile. Target depends on who's still up. If the 'almost dead' archer is still up, he gets two of the three bolts (and Mneumos' foe the last). If he's down, Mneumenos' foe gets all three. And if they're both down, he'll split them among any remaining archers.

Shot 1: [roll0]
Shot 2: [roll1]
Shot 3: [roll2]

There's three archers total, and the pugilist-bandit Mneumos is fighting, correct? Am I missing anyone?

Edit: Forgot this!

Effects:
Mage Armour (inc. above)
Power of Stone (+50% range, +1 Spell Save DCs)

tonberryking
2010-04-27, 08:51 PM
Strago

The big wolf suddenly stands as Strago sheds his lupine disguise, appearing in his true form of a large half-orc who suddenly draws his swords on the attackers.

" 'ello, fellas. let's see how you fare when y'ain't ambushin' innocent folks." he grins savagely, holding his blades for bear.
Turning off this spell took a standard action so I'm done for now.

The_JJ
2010-05-02, 11:10 AM
Victor drops the sling after noting it's location and reaches for his shortswords. He leaps forward, aiming to put the scarred man between himself and Mneumos.

Attack rolls:
Right hand: [roll0]
Left hand: [roll1]

Damage rolls:
Right hand: [roll2]
Left hand: [roll3]

Sneak Attack damage:
Right hand: [roll4]
Left hand: [roll5]

Crit confirms (if needed, on results of 28 or 29):
Right hand: [roll6]
Left hand: [roll7]

Victor Smalls

On going effects:

Sorry about the delay. :smalleek:

Gryps2
2010-05-03, 12:43 AM
Weakened but unbowed, Mneumos manages to answer the scarred man's attack with more than just rhetoric; his glaive scoring another gushing wound as he nimbly avoids the man's reach while moving. Back in the wagon, Jasker notes that all the enemy combatants so far seem to be of typical human stock, and his training in the healing arts also grants him knowledge of some pretty glaring weaknesses in the human form.

Roaring out a curse, the first archer drops his longbow, retrieving his battleaxe and taking a swing at Strago, dealing a vicious blow to the wolf-ranger's side. In response, he finds himself confronted by a wolf turning into a heavily-armed half-orc, and by the expression on his face, unlike his unarmed friend he seems to know what it is to be afraid.

8 damage to Strago. Averted crit, too.

The scarred man takes a five foot step following Mneumos, cleverly getting under the elf's polearm to deliver a massive blow to the solar plexus. "The true strength is in death, fool. Every blow brings me closer to apotheosis."

Decisive Blow, 13 damage to Mneumos

The second archer, apparently readying to hit a wolf, finds himself aiming at a half-orc and misses his mark, the glancing blow deflecting off of Strago's mail. The first archer is felled from the sudden burst of magic missiles from Rhaokarmund, and the third missile strikes the scarred man unerringly.

First archer is down, two archers and the scarred man remaining

Determined the take out the mage, the third archer drops his bow and goes crashing down the hillside with his battleaxe, giving out a bloody warcry. Melwen steps up to intercept him, driving two daggers into him but seemingly unable to drop him. She glances over at Mneumos. "I don't know! You're really scary and I don't want to cross you!"

Following behind her, Victor gets into a superb flanking position on the scarred man, his first strike going awry before his second blade sinks right between his ribs. Already brutalized by Mneumos, the man seems to have found the "apotheosis" he craved as he sinks to the ground with a gurgle.

Aaaand down goes scarface. Initiative chart will be updated.

tonberryking
2010-05-03, 01:20 PM
Strago looks blankly at the first archer for an instant, surprised by the effect of a magic missile induced death, but only for an instant. As the body falls he leaps towards the second archer with both swords and proceeds to try to lawn mower him. Notch shrugs off his wounds for the moment to try to aide his pier.

Full attack time for Strago! [roll0][roll1] [roll2][roll3]

I'll roll any confirms that come up in OOC Now for some damages: [roll4][roll5] [roll6][roll7]

I'm going to hold off on Notch's attack for the moment and change targets in the even Strago tears this guy apart

Ellisande
2010-05-03, 01:56 PM
Rhaokarmund

The Dwarven sorcerer takes a half-step back before Melwen steps up. Quickly reassessing the situation, he chooses a different spell, hoping to retain a bandit alive for questioning.

He casts sleep on the charging archer (or his companion, if the nearer one falls first). (If they're within a 10-foot burst and under 4 HD total, I suppose he might even be able to hit both of them.) The DC to remain awake is 16.

Effects:
Mage Armour (inc. above)
Power of Stone (+50% range, +1 Spell Save DCs--included above)

VinGoodman
2010-05-03, 02:05 PM
Seeing two of the enemies fall and the comrades going after the remaining two, he decides to trust the team to mop up the combat. He drops over by the injured driver, and checks on the driver and the horses.

OOC If the driver is conscious but hurt: CLW heals [roll0]
If the driver is unconscious but alive: CMW heals [roll1]
If the driver is dead - Jasker checks on the horses this round as well.

The_JJ
2010-05-04, 04:36 PM
Victor salutes his flanking partner with a bloody sword and the wheels on his heel and moves to assist Melwen.

Edit: Oh, flakning! +2 to each attack roll.

Attack rolls:
Right hand: [roll0]+2
Left hand: [roll1]+2

Damage rolls:
Right hand: [roll2]
Left hand: [roll3]

Sneak Attack damage:
Right hand: [roll4]
Left hand: [roll5]

Crit confirms (if needed, on results of 28 or 29):
Right hand: [roll6]
Left hand: [roll7]

Victor Smalls

On going effects:

esorscher
2010-05-04, 07:36 PM
Mneumos moves onto any bandit still standing, striking him with his glaive. It feels heavier than he is used to, and he doesn't like it. "It's over, criminal."

Attack: [roll0], [roll1]+[roll2]

AC: 20
HP: 31/44

Effects:
Dodge (+1 AC v. Third Archer)
Mobility (+4 AC v. AoO)
Skirmish (+1 AC, +2d6 damage (included above))

So his AC for any AoOs is 25.

Gryps2
2010-05-05, 05:05 AM
Mneumos'd weakened state does not seem to have diminished his fighting ability as he rushes forward, handily felling the archer Melwen was holding back. Stepping back away from the corpse, she gives Mneumos an unwasy grin. "Th-thanks."

Back at the wagons, Jasker reaches the stricken driver, who is unconscious but still breathing. Weaving his healing spell over him, the driver slowly comes to with a pained groan. "Ergh... by Mithras, that hurt."

Strago's fury is unleashed, though only one hit strikes, possibly because one was all it took, felling the remaining archer, leaving Maple unbloodied. Perhaps it will face a worthier foe later on.

Rhaokarmund's gambit to preserve a prisoner for questioning won't go entirely according to plan, but other than the scarred man, the bandits seem to be down but not entirely dead, making it still a possibility, if one can be stabilized in time.

Combat over, you can start acting freely.

VinGoodman
2010-05-05, 07:59 AM
"How are you holding up?" Jasker inquired the driver, glad he came to. Jasker looks over the driver and the horses to make sure they're fit enough to continue the journey.

esorscher
2010-05-05, 09:17 AM
Mneumos stows his glaive, and walks over to Jasker. Whispering in his ear so as not to intrude, he says, "I could use some healing, when you get the chance."

VinGoodman
2010-05-05, 09:23 AM
Jasker studies the injuries on Mneumos, and channels a bit of divine energy into him. In time, the wounds reknit himself, rendering Mneumos good as new.

OOC Lesser Vigor, Fast Healing 1 for 15 rounds, good for 15HP of healing.

Ellisande
2010-05-05, 11:45 AM
Rhaokarmund

Sucking back in the breath of his uncast spell, Rhaokarmund steps forward cautiously toward the fallen foes, examining them more carefully than he'd been able to in the thick of the fighting. Satisfied that they aren't moving, he kneels by the nearest one and makes an awkward attempt to stop the bleeding. "Are bandits often found around here? Do you think they know anything we should?" He calls back toward the others.

Heal (untrained, if that matters): [roll0]
Search (the body/ies): [roll1]

tonberryking
2010-05-05, 03:29 PM
Strago huffs a bit and after cleaning Scorpion on the closest corpse, he drags the bodies within reach into one big pile After taking twenty to search the bodies for a 27 search check, before heading down the hillsides with one big pile (presumably) of requisitioned stuff.

"Y'can find bandits anywheres in this world," Strago spits as he and his wolf, both looking pretty roughed up, amble up towards the others, coming in at the end of the dwarf's musings. He doesn't seem to give a damn about about the horses now that they both need medical attention, the ranger motioning that Notch be given priority. He did sort of help sound the alarm. "May've found somethin' useful on them corpses up on the hill, too..."

VinGoodman
2010-05-05, 03:45 PM
Seeing Strago and Notch in their poor condition, Jasker hurries over to examine them.

OOC How badly are each of you hurt?

The_JJ
2010-05-05, 04:12 PM
Victor cleans his sword and checks in on Melwen. Your first action?

Gryps2
2010-05-05, 04:44 PM
The driver coughs as Jasker looks over him, sitting up awkwardly. "I've felt better, sir, but it's thanks to you that I can feel anything at all. Give me a moment to recover and I'll help examine the horses."

Looking over the horses himself, Jasker will note that they're probably worthless for the journey; the pit was designed to break their legs as they fell into it and it's accomplished its task.

Rhaokarmund has no formal training with the healing arts but manages to intuit to it quite well, stabilizing one of the dying archers. Searching their bodies, he and Strago find the usual traveling gear; whetstones, flint and tinder, some iron rations. They also find a few oddities, in that none of them have any money on them. Also, uncharacteristic of most bandits, their weapons seem to be well-crafted.

An Appraise check will tell you how well-crafted.

Melwen signs, sheathing her dagger before giving Victor a wane smile. "No, but I've never really taken to it, either. I guess I'd be pretty hopeless as an actual Slayer..."

tonberryking
2010-05-05, 04:51 PM
Strago doesn't have enough shame to keep himself from requisitioning the flint, steel and whetstone that look the freshest from the bunch, adding them to his satchel. He then goes on to inspect the weapons, pulling one of the bows taunt and checking the edges or hafts of their melee accouterments.

Given Strago's swordiness, is there any conditional modifiers I can lawyer out of him inspecting any blade they have? Otherwise, appraisal: [roll0]

"Sometimes you can't go any other ways but through livin' obstacles in your path." he says, overhearing the half-elf's lament while checking the catch of a blade in its sheath.

VinGoodman
2010-05-05, 04:58 PM
Jasker follows Strago and Notch, imploring them to hold still for the treatment.

OOC (please respond Strago and Notch) How badly hurt are you?

tonberryking
2010-05-05, 05:05 PM
I believe I took... 13 damage total, and Notch only took 6

The_JJ
2010-05-05, 06:12 PM
Victor nods. I know what you mean. It's easier with the beasts. Come on, let's check on the horses... Oh that's not good. The halfling steps back. Jasker? How do you feel about equines?

VinGoodman
2010-05-05, 08:56 PM
OOC We'll have to get a ruling from the GM about the horse. I'm sure he broke the legs on the horses for effect. So, I'm not sure healing spells will bring them to full health. What do you say, Mr. GM? If I heal the horses to full health, will they have functioning legs?

Jasker, having assessed the injuries Strago and Notch sustained, calls forth a bit of positive energy and channels the healing power into each.

OOC CLW on Notch [roll0]
CMW on Strago [roll1]

Gryps2
2010-05-05, 10:06 PM
Strago doesn't know enough about the crafting or selling of weapons to make an adequate appraisal of the items, but he does know much about their use, and he can say without a doubt that they are sturdy and well-balanced weapons which he certainly could use if he didn't already have his blades.

Melwen nods at Victor, then follows him over to the horses. "I'm not sure they can be healed... can they?"

Sorry, not enough to make an accurate assessment on the weapons.

Only Regenerate can mend broken bones magically. If you heal them it'll tie the skin and muscles back together enough for splints to be attached, assuming you want to haul some crippled horses around.

VinGoodman
2010-05-05, 10:16 PM
Jasker sighs and shakes his head. "I can heal the injuries to the muscles and skin, but the bones will remain broken. From here on out, they will be a burden I fear we will not be able to bear."

esorscher
2010-05-06, 12:23 AM
Mneumos draws his glaive again. "Thank you for the healing, Jasker. I can put these horses out of their misery."

The_JJ
2010-05-06, 07:46 AM
Victor draws his own sword and walks up to the other horse. Easy... girl. Boy? Ah well, won't matter soon. On three?

Bloody work done, the halfling turns to the wagon itself. Best if we get moving quickly as well. These fellows strike me as a bit more than your average bandits. Unless we want to drag this wagon ourselves, we should look at what we can pack out. And in the future, maybe we let that wolf lead the way.

tonberryking
2010-05-06, 12:33 PM
Strago

The half-orc seems thoughtful for a moment, though Notch seems hungry; the wolf shouldering his companion's leg. He gets Notch's idea but at the risk of sounding horrific: "Notch'll keep ahead to serve an warn us, sure but ...ah... th' thing is..."

He looks over to where the horses now lie dead. "Y'gonna eat them horses? Dun mean ta be dissresspectful, but uh... iffin you ain't attached to their memories, well, the game in these hills is all scared off, and we's awful hungry..."

Ellisande
2010-05-06, 12:54 PM
Rhaokarmund

The young sorcerer shakes his captive gently. "More than average bandits? Do you think there's more of them about, or that they're targetting us specifically? I think this one's still alive, if you want to ask him anything." He looks down at his hands, bloody from his amateur first aid attempt. "I'm curious what he has to say, but I'd better get my hands washed first.

A bit later, he looks over at Stago as he dries his hands. "You know, we did used to eat horse, on the Feast of St. Khorad. I don't know how they cooked it though, just with some sort of berry..." His mind drifts off in remembrance, then he glances tentatively around his companions. "What I really mean is that I'm a bit hungry, too."

The_JJ
2010-05-06, 04:23 PM
Slayer lesson number one. Get used to odd food. Slayer lesson number two, don't eat what you've killed unless someone else has first. Victor winks at Stagos. Nah, you're thinking straight kid. We don't have time to smoke them or anything, but we should take what we can.

The halfling steps back and waves his holy symbol over the horses. Somona bless you, fellow wanderers.

Gryps2
2010-05-06, 08:50 PM
Getting to his feet, the driver grimly looks at the fallen horses. "You did right. Sad to say, they're only fit for the pot now, out here in the wilderness. After I finish loading the cargo up in the other wagons, we can bust this wagon up for wood." He turns, then stops. "Apologies, but your space might become more... crowded."

Not long after, with the cargo stowed, and the horses properly slaughtered, the party is gathered round a fire with a feast of roasted horse flesh. Melwen has thought to put some rope bindings on the captive that Rhaokarmund stabilized (as well as any of the others you guys you want to save). They're still unconscious, and it would be easy for the party to deal with them at their leisure.

Ellisande
2010-05-08, 12:37 AM
Rhaokarmund

The dwarf silently takes Victor's statement as a culinary challenge, and murmurs another charm, attempting to smoke his portion of the meat as they walk. He takes small nibbles of the imperfectly-cooked horse as he questions the one man he managed to save. "What's your name? Why'd you pick to attack us?" He glanced at his companions, thinking they looked rather formidable.

I'm thinking Prestidigitation will work better than Fireball for cooking the meat, not that I expect it to turn out great either way. The joys of camping!

VinGoodman
2010-05-08, 02:42 AM
Jasker takes the opportunity to check the driver again, and channels a bit more positive energy into him if necessary.

OOC If he's still hurt by more than 2HP: CLW [roll0]
Otherwise 1-2 Cure Minor Wounds (let me know how many), each for 1 HP

The_JJ
2010-05-08, 10:38 AM
Victor eavesdrops on the interrogation while he examines the weapons. He's no expert, but he takes a shot at it, going over each one, plucking on strings, swinging them, testing the balence, shaking out the armor and checking the new dents.

Longbow 1: [roll0]
Longbow 2: [roll1]
Longbow 3: [roll2]
Battleax 1: [roll3]
Battleax 2: [roll4]
Battleax 3: [roll5]
Studded Leather Armor 1: [roll6]
Studded Leather Armor 2: [roll7]
Studded Leather Armor 3: [roll8]

Gryps2
2010-05-08, 05:52 PM
The driver still has a few injuries left, but two Minor Cures seem to be enough to heal them. In any case, the driver seems abashed to accept any more help, waving Jasker off. "You've done enough for me, sir. I won't forget this."

Examining the loot, Victor is able to make a few astute deductions about them. First off, the axes are all of the same craftsman, with the same markings, and the same is true of the bows and the armor. The weapons are the work of a true master craftsman; the street price of the battleaxes could easily be three hundred gold, and the longbows could command three hundred and fifty, though resale value always tends to be lower. With a small bit of negotiation, though, Victor would feel confident of unloading the axes for two hundred gold and the bows for two hundred and fifty a piece. The armor, however, seems rather mundane, and considering the blood spatter and wear, the three suits might fetch five gold put together.

Resale prices are for selling while making a Diplomacy check of DC 10; increased haggling raises the DC but a successful check would also raise the amount of money gained. To gain more then full market price, however, you'd need to make a Bluff check, since you're out and out lying at that point.

The prisoner glares sullenly at Rhaokarmund for a good long while, then spits a nice glob of spit at the dwarf's face. "I care not for what you do to me. We'll both burn in the selfsame fire."

The_JJ
2010-05-08, 06:24 PM
Victor sighs and tosses the last bit of armor next to the fire. Some nice stuff you and your friends have here. Might've been a bit wiser to spring for some better armor though, eh? The halfling raps his own breaatplate, finest mithril. And as for burning, I doubt it. Come my death I've no doubt Somona'll keep me walking through my afterlife.

Which brings up another point in our inherently different outlooks on life. We have yet to threaten you, but you're already feeding us pointless bravado. Good show.

Ellisande
2010-05-10, 11:48 AM
Rhaokarmund

'Selfsame fire'? The dwarf wracked his brain, trying to figure out if that was a religious reference of some sort. Certainly, these were not mere bandits. Wrinkling his brow, he has an insight to continue his interrogation. Pulling the wand from his pack, he returns to the bandit and waves it mystically. Hoping that this softens the bandit's will, he picks a different question, content to let the man pontificate a bit before getting to anything truly relevant. "Selfsame fire? Which one is that?"

It's a wand of Charm Person. I don't know how well it'll work with the target tied up, but Rhao didn't think about that.

Gryps2
2010-05-10, 12:52 PM
The bandit looks ready to spew more spite in Victor's direction, but with a wave of a wand Rhaokarmund seems to mellow the bandit's temper, he still doesn't seem to be in the greatest of moods, but his manner is one of a man describing an annoyance to a confidant; as if him and Rhaokarmund were associates in a den of hostiles.

"You know the one. As if any of us is getting a reward at the end. Look at us, and look at them." the man nods over to Rhaokarmund's comrades, "None of us get so good at killin' and fightin' without getting a fair share of blood on our hands. Nothing's gonna wash it clean. Might as well curry favor with the bonekeeper while we can."

Even applying the +5 bonus to his save for being in a threatening situation, he bombed his save, so for the next hour Rhaokarmund is his bestest friend in the whole world.

People with Knowledge: Religion can roll a check on the term "bonekeeper" if they'd like.

VinGoodman
2010-05-10, 02:13 PM
Jasker's ears perks up at the mention of the bonekeeper.

OOC Know: Religion [roll0]

Gryps2
2010-05-10, 02:16 PM
Jasker

The Bonekeeper is one of the many titles associated with Gorang, usually his Ensnarer aspect. Adherents believe that he is given free reign over the bodies and souls of the damned, and to serve him in life is to soften his wrath in the world beyond.

The_JJ
2010-05-10, 05:28 PM
Victor rolls his eyes. Typical, really. This is why I left home. I learned my skills the hard way, friend. Fighting off thugs like you, and worse, dumber monsters. The Wanderer bless my path, and I break the cycle, one way or another.

Ellisande
2010-05-11, 11:32 AM
Rhaokarmund

The sorcerer relaxes a bit, and tries to let his more jovial side show. He sits down by the prisoner and continues speaking. "You make good sense, mate." In truth, Karmund couldn't make any since of what the man had said, and hoped someone else did. "But how can we know who he wants us to take down for him?"

VinGoodman
2010-05-11, 12:45 PM
Jasker takes a little bit of time to play with the weapons. Alas, his amateurish incompetence shows clearly with each and every axe swing and bow pull. Sighing, he tosses the weapons back into the pile, and spends the evening chatting with Melwen until it's time for rest.

OOC The chat with Melwen is all small talk. The DM is more than welcome to share anything about Melwen with us that may be of interest. But, I'm content to just hand wave at it and get to morning (or encounters in the night, whichever comes first).

Gryps2
2010-05-11, 11:25 PM
The bandit sneers at Victor. "Don't get all high and mighty on me. Ya might dress it up, but yer just as much a murderin' man as me. All yer talk about that Wanderer ain't gonna save ya from what's comin'." He turns from the halfling to look look at Rhaokarmund. "Karden, the man those folk slaughtered, he knew someone... they had a plan. A real knockout. Show all those hypocrites the hell beneath their hollow little lives." he chuckles gleefully at the thought, then hushes himself, glancing around. "But it ain't safe to talk with all these others around."

A distance away from the creepy prisoner, Melwen is seated on the grass and munching halfheartedly on some roasted horse. She seems happy to have some conversation that doesn't involve evil gods and killing to please them, and divulges some details about herself: apparently she was a member of the city watch in Nodens when she manifested some sorcerous potential. She managed to join the Guild to try and develop it, but she's still leery about using it in combat.

The_JJ
2010-05-12, 10:41 AM
The halfling rogue stands up. Yeah, whatever. He slips down to join Melwen. So... you were Noldens City Watch? Ever walk the beat down Baker's Street? That's my old haunt right there. Haven't spent a whole lot of time back home.

Ellisande
2010-05-12, 11:33 AM
Rhaokarmund

"You're right, but I've got to ask..." Rhaokarmund whispers his last question conspiratorially. "How many wagon trains have you taken down?"

Hearing the man's answer, he stands. "But of course, we should be discrete. We can talk again later." Hiding his frustration at having only a flunky to question, he joins the others for a bite of the undercooked horse.

Gryps2
2010-05-13, 12:01 PM
Melwen looks over towards Victor. "Baker Street? Ah, you weren't one of the Baker Street Boys, were you? I ran into those rascals once..." Melwen spends the rest of the day telling stories of greater or lesser interest about her adventures in the Watch or Guild for about as long as anyone cares to listen. Stalled for the day, the party has to spend the night under the stars before getting underway the next morning.

With the cargo shoved back into their wagon, the going is a lot less comfortable, but thankfully there's only a day's worth of travel ahead, and no more unfortunate interruptions stop the group's progress. Cresting the hills outside of Ullanq, the group gets a panoramic view of the city; a white stone crescent built around a wide blue ocean bay.The buildings here are far beyond anything the natives of Gramarye will have seen, and rival even those of Rhaokarmund's memory. The Mages' Conservatory tower stretches into the heavens, with the Solar Cathedral boasts a golden dome so large it would rival the setting sun for splendor. The roads are paved with white brick as the wagons near the city gates. Strago's wolf Notch refuses to go any further, preferring to stay in the foothills and wait for the party to depart again. The captive bandit, who has maintained a sullen silence for the remainder of the trip, is handed over to the guards before the party enters the city proper.

The bustle on the streets rivals the magnificence of the architecture, with wagons, horses and people of all races milling about the streets. Here and then even members of the more monstrous races can be seen; lizardfolk guides, gnoll mercenaries, and kobold peddlers. Bright market booths and pavilions crowd the edges of the road, and in the market square the din of the crowd conversing and yelling in a dozen languages is almost deafening. Finally, the caravan reaches the port, where large, full-masted ships sit, with their long oars pulled up. The wagons pull up to a complex of stone buildings and tents and start to unload their goods as the party disembarks. Melwen indicates for the party to wait for a moment as she ducks inside one of the buildings. After a moment, she comes back out, waving to the party. "Okay, come on in!"

Inside the building is nicely decorated with silks, fine wooden furniture and thick ornamental rugs. There are five chairs arranged on the rug, with a sixth near a large wooden table containing a scale, a scattering of coins and three heavy looking bags. On this chair sits a dark-skinned gnome wearing fine white robes, a turban wound around his head. He smiles at the party as they enter. "Welcome, friends! I am Gon Bashaq. How were your travels? Please, sit down and I will have some wine brought to us."

VinGoodman
2010-05-13, 12:08 PM
Jasker bows politely as he responds to the greeting. "Good day, Master Bashaq. May the light of Pelor shine upon you and bless you."

Taking a seat near Gon, Jasker continues the conversation in a light tone as he recounts their travels. "We had a pleasant bit of traveling, although a few unsavory characters did try to ruin it for us. We lost a couple of horses about a day's travel out, and there's a wagon that is completely salvageable out there if you can spare a crew to retrieve the wagon."

Ellisande
2010-05-13, 11:59 PM
Rhaokarmund

"Honoured to meet you, master Bashaq." Rhaokarmund helps himself to the trader's hospitality with only a moment of polite hesitation.

After a little small talk, he moves to discussing the mission. "We were told briefly about your situation, but is there anything else you can tell us? Any news since our departure from Nodens?"

tonberryking
2010-05-14, 11:00 AM
Strago stands in the back solemnly silent for the most part. Uncomfortable in overly large cities, he's been brooding ever since the team walked through the gates, and has to resist the urge to ask for food rather than heady drink. In any case, he leaves the talking to the more diplomatic Rhaokarmund aside from cutting in once: "Any more clues'r hints towards what kinda monster did the killings?"

The_JJ
2010-05-14, 04:37 PM
Victor makes a quick bow and then sits back, as his compatriots have already asked most of the important questions.

Gryps2
2010-05-14, 04:41 PM
Some servants bring out a jug of wine and fine glasses for everyone, pouring everyone a measure of the dark red wine. Tasting it, it is clearlt of a good vintage. Bashaq himself only takes a sip before he continues. "Thank you, Father. Perhaps I will, as my teams have been idle as of late. I have not sent a team through the trade road to the oasis since I lost my last caravan. In that time, no new attacks have been reported... but many other traders have similarly abandoned the road." He pauses, perhaps ruminating. "Unfortunately, this means I have little in the way of news for you, though I do have something that may be of interest to you." He nods to one of the servants, who produces a small box, handing it to Strago. Upon opening it, he will see it contains a large, sharp tooth, obviously from some massive carnivore.
"This was recovered from the last caravan I sent, found stuck in the wood of one of the wagons."

Anyone looking at the tooth can roll a Knowledge: Nature or Knowledge: Arcana check.

tonberryking
2010-05-14, 07:15 PM
Strago seems the more interested in the beast's token than wine, eagerly exchanging his goblet for the tooth. He doesn't take it out of the box though, his cautious side urging discretion in case the tooth belongs to a poisonous monster.

[roll0] Knowledge nature!

Gryps2
2010-05-14, 07:54 PM
Strago

Though true identification eludes you, you can say with certainty that it's not a poisonous fang. It's too broad and heavy for that; it looks like tooth of an animal that grabs and tears with its mouth, like a crocodile. It is, however, far to large a tooth for your average crocodile, not to mention that crocodiles are not known to live in the deep desert.

The_JJ
2010-05-14, 08:24 PM
Victor takes a sip of his drink, then, as Strago is looking over the tooth, he leans in. Do you think we should go hunting on our own, or risk putting us onboard a caravan to lure this or these things out?

tonberryking
2010-05-14, 08:38 PM
Strago grunts. "Tooth's like a croc's but too big annit's in the desert..." he passes the tooth to anyone interested. "I think we c' sacrifice a wagon or something but we go alone. No guides, no witnesses, just points us off and let us handle the beast."

VinGoodman
2010-05-14, 10:06 PM
Intrigued, Jasker takes a moment to give the tooth a careful study.

ooc Know: Nature [roll0]
Know: Arcana [roll1]

Gryps2
2010-05-15, 12:36 AM
Bashaq takes a moment to consider, speaking reluctantly. "I suppose... I may be able to spare a wagon or two for you to use for this purpose, if I am assured that you will be able to rid me of this beast for good."

Jasker:

There seems to be some vitrified sand on this tooth. That usually only happens when sand is exposed to a flash of extreme heat, such as the discharge of an electric breath weapon. Judging from everything else you've heard, this seems to indicate either a blue dragon or a behir.

Ellisande
2010-05-15, 12:40 AM
Rhaokarmund

"You think it's from a crocodile?" Rhao craned his neck, looking over the priest's shoulder--well, under it, actually. "It's probably good the road's been abandoned...whatever it is should be hungry enough to come straight for us when we're out there." That this might be a bad thing, or that the beast might have other prey, never crossed the dwarf's mind.

Knowledge: Arcana: [roll0]

VinGoodman
2010-05-15, 01:08 AM
Jasker sits back and sips the red wine as he contemplates what he saw and heard thus far. "I would venture to guess we may be dealing with a blue dragon, or may be a behir. I can't say I like the prospect of facing down either one. Regardless of the creature, there appears to be signs that our foe is capable of discharging electricity as a weapon. We best be prepared for that possibility."

Gryps2
2010-05-15, 01:18 AM
Rhaokarmund

Unfortunately, you can't recall anything beyond what Jasker has already stated.

esorscher
2010-05-15, 12:38 PM
Mneumos, who'd been quiet so far, takes a look at the tooth. Going off of Jasker's assessment, Mneumos also thinks back to anything he's heard about Blue Dragons and Behirs. He can't glean anything better. "A dragon?" he tries to keep anxiety from his voice, but he's never faced a dragon before.

Knowledge (Nature): [roll0]

The_JJ
2010-05-15, 12:52 PM
Victor smiles, and begins to practice his coin tricks. A dragon... now there's an entrance prize.

Gryps2
2010-05-15, 01:11 PM
Bashaq looks stunned, he even fumbles his glass slightly. "A...dragon, you say? That's... that's unbelievable. Certainly they're known to inhabit the desert, but still..." He trails off. "Can you master this thing? If you need to make any preparations, I shall be happy to assist you in any way I can."

Mneumos

You can't seem to recall anything more than general information about dragons. They're big, tough, they can fly, and they generally breathe some manner of elemental attack.

Ellisande
2010-05-16, 08:55 PM
Rhaokarmund

Trying not to think too hard about the enormity of their problem, Rhaokarmund smiles widely. "Oh, fear not. I'm sure we'll find a way to master it." He takes a sip of his wine, perhaps to steel his nerves, or perhaps to be a good guest. "After all, I'm sure they have weaknesses, as well as their imperviousness to electricity... water, perhaps?" He looks back at the priest in query.

esorscher
2010-05-16, 08:59 PM
"If it's a dragon, we'll need a way to keep it out of the air... any spells anyone can think of?"

OOC:
Earthbind is a L1 druid spell from Spell Compendium worth checking out, but Mneumos wouldn't know that.

The_JJ
2010-05-16, 10:02 PM
I know a pretty cheap way to keep something on the ground, but I don't know if it'll work on something big as a full grown dragon.

esorscher
2010-05-16, 10:18 PM
"What are you thinking?"

VinGoodman
2010-05-17, 09:45 AM
Jaskor turns to Victor as well, interested in what strategy he has in mind. While elevation may help against a behir, there is no real way to compete with a dragon in that aspect with typical flight and breath weapons available to such a foe.

tonberryking
2010-05-18, 12:01 PM
"A trap?" Strago leans towards Victor, curiously. He's never fought a dragon himself (that he knows of...) but the prospect is an intriguing one. Dragonslayer is a title that perhaps even Somona recognizes...

"What'tou gots in mind? Something we'd lead it into, trap it onna ground?"

VinGoodman
2010-05-18, 12:42 PM
Jasker

"I shall seek for protection against electrical attacks from Pelor. I pray we conjecture correctly."

OOC Mass Resist Energy - electricity (Resist Electricity 10) plus Mass Conviction (+3 morale bonus to Saves) should help. Both would be good for an hour, and I can extend them to be two hours if we think that's necessary.

For ranged attack tactics, we could use Blessed Aim (+2 morale bonus to attack).

I will think on useful persistable spells for this fight.

The_JJ
2010-05-18, 06:28 PM
Victor reaches into his sack and pulls out... a smaller sack, this one tightly closed.Tanglefoots. A hunter's best friend. Sometimes they can keep flying, but if it ain't to big or fast we could try tagging it with these until it comes spinning down. Just an idea.

esorscher
2010-05-18, 06:30 PM
Mneumos nods in approval. "We'll need a few, just in case."

Gryps2
2010-05-18, 11:15 PM
"Of course. I'd be happy to help you obtain those, or anything else you may need. Nets, perhaps? I'm not certain as to how to best take care of the beast myself." Bashaq says, sipping his wine. "Assuming the expense is not too great, it would not come from your fee."

Ellisande
2010-05-19, 11:59 PM
Rhaokarmund

Bashaq's words go right Rhao as he thinks to himself for a moment. "Either nets or these bags would be a clever idea, if we can be certain to hit the beast with them... I wonder if there are any scholars of wizardry in town, who might be able to provide a few charms to aid that front.
"Hmm..." The dwarf stares out a window, across the sun-lit bay. "Anything else that could help us?"

Would this be an application for a scroll or two of True Strike?

Gryps2
2010-05-21, 11:48 PM
"Oh, of course, Master Dwarf. The Mages' Conservatory of Ullanq is one of the finest centers for arcane learning in the known world... and there are many others besides it within the city walls." Bashaq says, with no small amount of pride. "Any magical material you could conceive of could be purchased here. If you need some time to make plans, I could have my servants find accommodations for you in the city."

Ellisande
2010-05-22, 07:16 PM
Rhaokarmund

"Yes, perhaps rooms would be a good idea. This tooth is an incredibly lucky find, and we must commend you for it...but it suggests a few materials to purchase as well." He glances around the room for assent. "Your Mage's Conservatory--" Rhao almost says 'Wizard's College', as they are styled in Gyokren--"will prove invaluable, I expect."

He looks at his comrades. "Shall we set out on the morrow, or would the day after be better?"

The_JJ
2010-05-22, 10:03 PM
Victor sits up as the conversation winds to a conclusion. He raises the tanglefoot bag before returning it to his haversack, and speaks with conviction. No point in wasting time, we should rest well tonight and strike out tomorrow. If you could, good sir, aquire a few more of these bags for us, and if you have anyother way to help us before tomorrow, and I'm sure these bright minds here could produce a list, it would be greatly appreciated. I realize we may ask a lot of you, but no doubt a swift victory will pay dividends in the future.

Face!

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Gryps2
2010-05-24, 11:52 PM
"Ah, but of course. Simply send a courier over with your request and I shall do the best I can. I suppose I could tolerate spending... perhaps a thousand talents." Bashaq says, clearly hesitant to spend so much money but apparently convinced of Victor's logic. "One of my servants shall make arrangements for you to be lodged at the White Crescent Inn, which is on Port Street north of the market. If you wish, you can spend some time in the coty before returning there for the night."

VinGoodman
2010-05-25, 11:00 AM
Jasker does his best to keep a straight face. One thousand talents! The guild's reputation is greater than Jasker first realized, and he finds himself in awe at such a gesture in deference to the guild (and to Victor).

As some continue the planning, Jasker finds himself unable to find more to provide. He excuses himself, and takes the time to stroll through the town and the marketplace.

Ellisande
2010-05-25, 11:28 PM
Rhaokarmund

Karmund makes his excuses as well. "Thank you for all your assistance, Master Bashaq. I would like to see the city before the sun is too low in the sky--it has a lovely coastal atmosphere." That wasn't merely flattery--the arid desert meshed most enchantingly with the sea breeze. "We'll be certain to keep you updated on our progress."

The_JJ
2010-05-27, 02:00 AM
Excellent. We'll buy what we need and meet here tomorrow. We pretend to be a caravan and head out to the desert looking for trouble. If it doesn't find us, we start at the last attack site and see if we can track anything from there. Agreed?

esorscher
2010-05-27, 10:47 AM
"Agreed," Mneumos said, breaking his characteristic silence.

Gryps2
2010-05-27, 02:43 PM
"Of course. Please, feel free to stay as long as you like, but I am afraid I must excuse myself. These attacks have disrupted my supply chain badly and I am forced to pursue other venues to keep up on my commitments to my customers." Bashaq says, stepping down from his chair and bowing his head to the novice Slayers. "When you are finished, Jennod here shall guide you to the inn." He indicates to a rather burly human standing in the corner with his arms crossed, before starting to go. "Good day, my friends."

Meanwhile, having excused himself earlier, Jasker soon finds himself in the marketplace. The market plaza itself is crowded, and the din of all the people speaking in a multitude of tongues is almost overwhelming. Colorful stalls line the edge of the plaza, selling a bonanza of exotic fruits, meats and spices, some of which Jasker has never before seen. Further back from the stalls are stone buildings housing more precious wares; jewelry, sculptures, wine, and even some armaments. Distracted as he is by the spectacle, Jasker can perhaps be forgiven for not noticing a figure approaching him from behind, and reaching over to clasp a hand over his shoulder in a friendly gesture. The man has the olive skin of a native of the Andalan coast, though he is uncharacteristically clean-shaven and apparently bald, though it is hard to tell with his turban. "Hello, my friend. Were my eyes deceiving me or did you come from the house of Gon Bashaq just now?"

VinGoodman
2010-05-27, 02:55 PM
"Indeed. Are you friends with Master Bashaq?" Jasker responds politely while his eyes quickly assesses of the man before him.

Gryps2
2010-05-27, 10:09 PM
The man grins in response to Jasker's inquiry. He seems well-dressed, though not particularly wealthy. He wears a white and green embroided robe, and his fingers are loaded with golden rings, as is the fashion on the coast. Judging from his appearance alone, he doesn't seem to be sued to hard labor or fighting. "I am certainly familiar with Master Bashaq. Tell me, what business did you have with him?"

VinGoodman
2010-05-27, 11:36 PM
"Ah, that, you would need to inquire directly with Master Bashaq." Jasker smiles at the man warmly. "How is it that you came to know Master Bashaq? Please, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the man."

Jasker continues the conversation, deftly deflecting any attempt by the man to garner information regarding Master Bashaq and the work, while attempting to gleam the relationship of this man with their employer and the purpose for his initiating this conversation.

Gryps2
2010-05-28, 04:44 PM
"We've known each other for many years, Master Basahq and I," the man continues, apparently refusing to be deterred, "but let's drop the pretext. You may be a man of the cloth, but I saw the company you kept when you entered Bashaq's compound earlier. You were brought here to take care of a problem for him, were you not? Say that you were... I think I'd be able to guide you to a more profitable enterprise for you and your friends. Perhaps one to the tune of..." he lowers his voice conspiratorially, ".. ten thousand talents?"

VinGoodman
2010-05-29, 09:28 AM
Everything about this man screams danger. Alas, Jasker is not one to turn away so quickly. "This sounds like a serious proposition indeed. Should I gather another member of my group. so that we may better conduct our business properly?"

Ellisande
2010-05-30, 07:07 PM
Rhaokarmund

"I guess we're off to the inn, Jennod." Rhaokarmund addresses the servant. "We'll iron out any lingering details there. Any chance you could point us towards the Mages' Conservatory, to save us confusion in the morning? And, perhaps a nice bayfront establishment for dinner, if you know one?"

Gryps2
2010-06-01, 09:48 PM
The man smiles in response to Jasker's question. "Oh, but of course. Where are you staying tonight? I can have a guide come for you after you've had suitable time for discussion and your repast."

Meanwhile, back at Bashaq's place of business, Jennod nods curtly to Rhaokarmund. "Of course, sir. Follow me." Making his way out of the building, Jennod leads them through the streets, though their direction is rather obvious: the tower for the Mages' Conservatory is easily visible from basically anywhere in the city.

VinGoodman
2010-06-05, 03:54 PM
Jasker grins as he shares the information with the man, before bidding him adieu and returning to the group at the inn. "I met a most interesting man this day. While he did not explicitly say anything that is threatening, I believe this night may get interesting for us. Please be on your guard, and let's try to stay together as much as we can."

He relays the description of the man and a summary of the conversation with the group, and wishes Bashaq were available so that he could have possibly shed some light on the man and what his intentions may be.

ooc Sense Motive [roll0], in case I get something out of an amazing roll (hopefully).

Gryps2
2010-06-06, 02:40 PM
After leading you to the Mages' Conservatory, where Jennod assures the proctors that Bashaq will cover the party's order, they are led to the White Crescent Inn, which luckily for Rhaokarmund also has quite a selection of local specialties for supper. It is over the meal that the party is reunited with Jasker, who relays to them his strange meeting in the marketplace.

Jasker

The man is definitely concealing some manner of agenda from you, but at the same time you didn't get the feeling he meant any particular harm to you or your party. You get more of a sense that he's offering you a bribe than trying to get you killed.

Ellisande
2010-06-06, 10:48 PM
Rhaokarmund

"Hmm, that is puzzling." The dwarf commented, idly rubbing one branch of his braided beard. "Do you suppose it would be a competitor of his? But that hardly makes sense--they must want the creature gone as much as Master Bashaq does. Who would want to get in our way?"

The_JJ
2010-06-07, 01:06 AM
Well, they did say that the thing only hit Bashaq's caravans. Dragon's make deals, right? Victor scratches his head. Does it matter though? Talent's are nice, but if I was just in this for the money, I could go home and live richer than I'd ever dreamed. I'm in this for the Guild. I don't want to put that at risk.

Ellisande
2010-06-08, 12:35 AM
Rhaokarmund

"Dragons do make deals, yes..." the dwarf agreed. "it is more curiosity than anything. Unless they're planning something unpleasant, either for us or our employer."

VinGoodman
2010-06-11, 11:29 PM
ooc Not sure if the DM is waiting for something from us...

Jasper waits anxiously for his contact to make his appearance, and wonders what is in store this night. There is a big day tomorrow, and he hopes to get some good rest in preparations for it.

Gryps2
2010-06-12, 10:48 PM
Not soon after the party's meal, a small, weaselly-looking man with a pinched face and scraggly beard appears in the inn, looking around the common area. His eyes alight on Jasker, and he moves over towards him, looking between the others in turn. "Ah, Father. I believe you spoke to my master earlier today? If you and your friends are ready, I can take you to him to conduct... proper negotiation." He smiles, though the gesture is probably not comforting.

VinGoodman
2010-06-12, 11:07 PM
Jasker looks to his companions. "Shall we go see what this is about?"

The_JJ
2010-06-13, 01:14 AM
Victor pushes his empty plate away and leaves a few silver on the table as a tip. Yes, I suppose there's no harm.

At worst we can tell Bashaq what his enemies are up to.

Ellisande
2010-06-13, 01:15 AM
Rhaokarmund

"I suppose we should see what he has to say." The dwarf moves to rise. Though curious, he's a bit discomforted by the man's disheveled appearance.

VinGoodman
2010-06-13, 02:38 PM
OOC Take us to your leader. :smalltongue:

Gryps2
2010-06-13, 05:16 PM
The man nods. "Splendid. Follow me, please." He turns, and starts to head out of the inn, beckoning the party to follow.

With the waning of the sun, the streets of Ullanq have become no less clogged with people; in fact many seem to be taking advantage of the cooler temperatures to conduct business. At many of the larger plaza and intersections, great brass lanterns with glowing stones provide additional illumination. But it is not long before the man leads the group off of the beaten path, winding through back alleys and darkened roads with uncanny familiarity. "Follow closely, now. I would not like for you to get lost!"

Before the atmosphere can get too forboding, however, he stops outside a rather humble house of sandstone, with a brown flap covering the door. He ducks in for a moment, the light of a lantern breaking through the flap momentarily as he enters and then leaves in quick succession, beckoning the others through. "Come!"

Inside, the man who Jasker met earlier in the market is seated at a rough wooden table, with a lantern sitting on the tabletop beside him. He smiles in recognition of the cleric. "Ah, welcome. My sincerest apologies about this choice of venue, but practical matters did dictate them. But please, make yourselves comfortable." He gestures outwards; there's an array of cheap stools and chairs in the small hovel, but nothing particularly 'comfortable'.

The_JJ
2010-06-13, 05:50 PM
Victor doesn't bother memorizing twists and turns. The sea (and the breeze coming off of it) would serve as a landmark, skill he learned as a child would see him through any slum. He hops up to the highest of the mismatched stools.

So, what's so important?

VinGoodman
2010-06-13, 09:53 PM
"Greetings again. And thank you." Jasker responds politely as he takes a seat. He waits for the man to begin the discussions, wondering what the reasons for this call for a meeting is.

tonberryking
2010-06-13, 10:33 PM
Strago didn't like this. But apparently the silent, glowering response he gave earlier didn't really convey that he felt this course of action bad, but some of the others wanted to at least hear the so called "offer." His response would be no, despite what anyone else had to say. He liked the guild, even if he didn't like to stay in it with all those people and animals and buildings encroaching upon his more wilderness inclined instincts, he'd agreed to do guild work. Seemed simple enough.

But he liked walking into a lonely place like this even less; the half-orc stopping before the doorway as if expecting a clever rouse, an attack to follow if he crossed over the threshold. But after noting that no one else was attacked he ambles in, but stands inside just shy of the door frame.

"I'm prepared t' stand..." he says flatly. And walk out of here if this smells sour... he thinks to himself.

Gryps2
2010-06-14, 07:56 PM
The man grins, and leans forward. "I'm sure our mutual friend the reverend has told all of you the basics. The job itself is simplicity in itself. Simply decline to aid that fool Bashaq and you will all have ten thousand talents to split between yourselves. That and passage to Wilddeoren, far beyond any reprisals from your... former employers at the Guild. Ten thousand talents can go very far there, my friends. You could set yourselves up as nobility does in your home Gramarye, at very least."

The_JJ
2010-06-14, 08:35 PM
Victor hides an incredulous outburst as a cough. Ten thousand talents to pay people to do nothing? I don't think Mr. Bashaq's the fool here, unless you got some compelling reason that we shouldn't go out there.

tonberryking
2010-06-14, 11:06 PM
In an odd, almost twisted sort of way Strago reasons that if they're that damn willing to pay that damn much then there's a damn fine chance that the masters of this businessman are afraid the would be Slayers capable of doing their job. It hints him a hint of satisfaction.

Still, he's not really all that taken in by this bribe attempt and folds his arms and glowers. They'll have to do better than that to get him off this job.

Besides, where's the money?

esorscher
2010-06-14, 11:31 PM
Mneumos shakes his head no, but says nothing.

VinGoodman
2010-06-14, 11:47 PM
Seeing that the group appears set in their decision, Jasker decides to speak up and moderate the situation. "What you ask is something that goes beyond mere talents." Jasker makes a sweep of his arm, "as you must have already gathered, my comrades are not people of inconsiderable abilities. Wealth, while meaningful, is seldom enough to sway such a group. You will have to make a case against our sense of cause, to have any chance of causing us to consider the option you are posing. Why SHOULD we consider walking away? What makes it the RIGHT decision, that we can live with when we sleep at night?"

Ellisande
2010-06-14, 11:47 PM
Rhaokarmund

And eyebrow rises on the dwarf. "That is a goodly sum." he agrees with Victor. And he continues curiously in a circumspect Gyokren manner, though no more inclined to accept than the half-orc. "There must be quite a reason you desire no further investigation..."

Gryps2
2010-06-14, 11:58 PM
The man chuckles. "Ten thousand talents is not compelling reason enough, master halfling? What a lot of ethical killers you are!" He chuckles again. "Simple. If you go out there and face that monster, you may not live to sleep tonight. You can walk away from this very rich, living men, or you can take your chances against the monster of the desert. Perhaps you can kill it. The Guild would not have sent you if you were not without a certain degree of skill. But seasoned warriors also know that no battle is certain, whereas the money I offer certainly is. All you need to do is walk away and leave Bashaq to his fate. It is not as if you are abandoning some poor wretch! Bashaq is greedy, and muscling into trades that belong to others. All I want is to see him put back into his place." The man finishes his monologue with a small smile. "Is that satisfactory to you, Father?"

The_JJ
2010-06-15, 12:14 AM
Mister... well, who ever you are. I have this to say. There have been two constants in my life. Victor reaches for the silver holy symbol around his neck. This, then he holds up his hand with the Guild Signet ring, and this. If I wanted to retire rich and safe I could sell my swords and armor and live far better than I ever could dream of as a child. I don't care about the man, but if you have problems with him, you can take it up with the Guild leaders.

VinGoodman
2010-06-15, 12:33 AM
With a heavy sigh, Jasker stands as he responds to the man before him. "Yes, talents are alluring. We would be lying if we denied that, however much we try to rationalize it. However, there are safe ways to earn a talent, and I do not believe any of us who chose the Guild would consider the safe way a sufficient reason."

With a smile that reflects a helpless laugh at oneself, Jasker continues. "We are a strange lot, you may say. Because you think talents and safety sufficient reason to persuade us, I fear you have misunderstood us as a group." With a gesture to the group, Jasker indicates he is done with the conversation. He looks to the man and bows slightly. "May Pelor's light shine upon you, and help you someday see us for who we are, and not merely who you think we are. Good evening, sir."

Gryps2
2010-06-15, 10:22 PM
"If that be your decision, Father." the man says, frowning slightly. "But what of the rest of you? Do you want to hinge your life on some fool's errand in the desert?"

The_JJ
2010-06-16, 12:39 AM
"It's not a fool's errand, it's the Guild's." Victor moves to leave with the father.

Ellisande
2010-06-17, 01:19 AM
Rhaokarmund

With stilted Gyokren politeness, the dwarf excuses himself as well. "We thank you for your advice." But he had no intention of heeding it--for all his conflicted motivations, greed was not one of them.

tonberryking
2010-06-18, 06:37 PM
..And we're guildsmen t' the end..." the half orc concludes, waiting for everyone else to vacate before attempting to promptly slam the door in the man's face. He feels pretty smug about this, and also thankful none of his compatriots were willing to take the money and run.

Gryps2
2010-06-18, 10:39 PM
The man's face darkens as the Slayers leave, though he grins at the end. "Well, my friends, if that is your decision. Be sure you do not regret it when you are fighting for your lives out in the desert."

Outside, the streets are dark and winding, and the scraggy individual who led them to the rendezvous is gone. Fortunately, Victor's long experience with navigating in crowded urban areas proves up to the task of guiding the party back to the inn, where they spend a perhaps fitful night. Whatever sort of watch they post or safeguards they make to protect against the mysterious man's treachery seem to be sufficient, and they are undisturbed until morning, when Melwen meets up with them to deliver their order from the Mages' Conservatory (as well as Victor's tanglefoot bags).

After their breakfast, they're escorted by a servant back to Bashaq's trading post, where two wagons are being made ready; apparently the false convoy they are to be taking. Bashaq turns as the group approaches and smiles. "Welcome! I hope you are well-rested for your journey."

VinGoodman
2010-06-18, 11:19 PM
Jasker takes the time to gather the group, and calls on blessings from the great Mithras. The words gather energy, and bolsters the focus of those nearby.

OOC Persisted Blessed Aim. +2 morale bonus to ranged attack rolls, good all day. I suspect ranged combat to be the most likely scenario.

Ellisande
2010-06-19, 07:29 PM
Rhaokarmund

The dwarf, his beard freshly oiled and braided, was in high spirits for their departure. "Good morning, Master Bashaq! I hope your evening arrangements went as well as our preparations did." He glances at his companions, wanting to ask about the fellow from the meeting earlier, but not quite certain of an easy way to broach the topic.

Gryps2
2010-06-25, 05:23 PM
Bashaq nods back eagerly. "Of course! Now, as you see, I have prepared these wagons for your use." He turns, walking over towards the wagons, which look remarkably similar to the ones they took from Nodens. "Familiar to you by now, I imagine. They have a weeks' supply of food and water aboard, a map of the surrounding area... ah! And a guide, of course." he says, leading the group over to whip-thin man with dark skin and a well-trimmed goatee. He nods affably to the group. "My name is Juva Fasq. I've taken this route before, we shouldn't have any trouble. If you need any assistance along the way, you need only ask... assistance with any except the dragon. anyways." He grins wanely at his joke.

VinGoodman
2010-06-25, 10:17 PM
With the blessing in place, Jasker cannot think of much else he can do. To prepare. He hops into the wagon, loads up the crossbow, and waits for the wagon to proceed.

Ellisande
2010-06-26, 01:23 AM
Rhaokarmund

"A pleasure to meet you, Master Fasq." Rhaokarmund greets the guide, then settles onto one of the wagons with the map, intent on memorizing it before they pass the city walls.

Gryps2
2010-06-29, 05:12 PM
Juva inclines his head to Rhaokarmund. "If there are no questions, then I imagine you are eager to get to your task." He turns and starts to get the wagon teams to rights, as the party arranges themselves in them. After a few moments they're off, setting off through the city alongside several other wagons. They past again through the great gates surrounding the city, the majestic urban vistas replaced by wide rolling hills. As they progress through the countryside, Strago's wolf companion rejoins them, an the caravan surrounding them thins as other wagons take different trade routes. The landscape also thins, turning from grasslands to scrublands, and finally the empty sands of the desert. Their two wagons are alone now, as the sun begins to set.

In the twilight, Strago notices his wolf sniffing the breeze, and several of the others hear the faint sounds of the sand shifting several dunes away. Juva himself seems to be oblivious, focused as he is on keeping the wagons on the proper course.

Ellisande
2010-06-29, 11:33 PM
Rhaokarmund

Rhaokarmund whispers a handful of protective words to himself, wishing he'd remembered to do it earlier, then fumbles for the scroll and wand that were to be the band's primary tools should they encounter their quarry.

That's mage armour before things go down, bringing his AC to an impressive 17. He's readying the scroll (Sting Ray) for next round, or whenever this thing appears.

VinGoodman
2010-06-29, 11:44 PM
The nerves finally get the better of him, and Jasker takes the time to call down divine protection on the group.

OOC Blessed Aim (+2 morale bonus ranged attacks) already active - persisted. Divine Insight active on Jasker.

Casting Mass Conviction (+3 morale bonus on saves).

How far away is "several dunes"?

Gryps2
2010-07-05, 10:46 PM
As the group readies their defenses, a mounted figure comes into view a little less than a hundred yards out. Even in the fading light, it's easy to make out that it is a lone figure riding a camel hard; an odd sight considering how deep into the desert this is. Whoever it is, they are not guiding the camel well, and the galloping is causing much sand to shift and cascade down the dunes, causing much more noise than you would expect from from a single camel.

VinGoodman
2010-07-05, 10:59 PM
The sight brings forth a sigh of relief from the cleric, followed closely by a light curse at the possibility of the loss of a rather important spell for the upcoming battle. Jasker keeps his eyes focused on the approaching figure, wondering what fool would travel thus, and alone at that.

Ellisande
2010-07-06, 02:19 AM
Rhaokarmund

The dwarf squints into the desert night, a little perplexed. "Now what might you be doing all alone out here?" Possibilities run through his mind. This is the monster. No, the monster is chasing him. No, he must be lost.

Finally, more to focus himself than anything, he murmurs another charm, then looks all the more intently into the fading light.

Detect Magic, just to see whatever might be there.

Gryps2
2010-07-08, 10:55 PM
The rider continues on his way, getting closer to the caravan until he comes within easy bowshot of it, apparently just now seeing the wagons. He pulls the reins, bringing the camel to a quick halt before turning to flee away from the group.

VinGoodman
2010-07-09, 09:11 AM
Seeing but a lone rider, Jasker calls out, "Wait! We mean you no harm! We're here on a hunt for a menacing creature. Can you come and speak with us a moment?"

Ellisande
2010-07-10, 05:27 AM
Finally, more to focus himself than anything, he murmurs another charm, then looks all the more intently into the fading light.

Detect Magic, just to see whatever might be there.

OOC: No result for the sorcerer, I assume?

Gryps2
2010-07-12, 10:04 PM
The rider's head seems to make some motion in response to Jasker's call, but it does nothing to stop his reckless retreat away from the group. If anything, he seems to be goading his mount to greater speed.

OOC:

Sorry Ellisande, Detect Magic has a range of 60 ft. He never got that close... so far.

esorscher
2010-07-12, 10:06 PM
"How curious," Mneumos says, scratching his chin.

VinGoodman
2010-07-13, 02:42 AM
With a shrug, Jasker keeps with the group and watches on for any other strange signs that may foretell of danger.

The_JJ
2010-07-13, 07:14 PM
Victor awakes from his snooze with a start, then hops off of the wagon, though he stays near it.

Hello! You there, stop!

The halfling lets his sling swing free and checks his sheaths. Just in case.

VinGoodman
2010-07-19, 12:02 PM
Jasker sighs as he watches man and mount vanish. "Perhaps we should proceed in the direction he came from. Our prey may have been the reason for that man's hasty retreat, after all."

Gryps2
2010-07-21, 02:31 PM
The man is heedless of Victor's call, and will soon disappear behind a dune if not hindered. With twilight fast descending over the desert, however, it is hard to track him, though with the low wind Strago, Mneumos and Rhaokarmund can still easily see the camel's heavy footprint dotting the sand, should they choose to follow him.

esorscher
2010-07-21, 03:54 PM
"I can follow his tracks in either direction," Mneumos says. "After him, or the way he came."

Survival: [roll0]

VinGoodman
2010-07-21, 04:41 PM
"Let's go with the way he came. We should consider possible camping sites as well, with night fast approaching." Jasker gives the disappearing man one last look before turning to the direction he came from.

The_JJ
2010-07-21, 04:56 PM
I'd like to know what he was running from so fast, personally. And I hope he's got some water.

Ellisande
2010-07-24, 10:22 AM
Rhaokarmund

The dwarf takes a quick look back at their supplies, which still look copious to his inexperienced eye. "Well, no reason not to take a look, if we're curious, right?" He leans in and suggests the same to the driver.

Gryps2
2010-07-24, 05:58 PM
Hearing Rhaokarmund's request, Juva glances towards the sky. "The sky is clear, so I see no harm in a detour. I can follow the stars back to the proper road."

The caravan starts to turn and crest a shallow dune, which nonetheless gives Mneumos a good view of the errant rider's tracks. Judging from what he could see, the rider has been following a roughly parallel path to theirs, meaning that there is a good chance that his starting point was the same as theirs. The canny elf can also see the tracks of his retreat, disappearing behind a tall dune that the caravan would be unable to travel over itself, though men on foot would have little trouble.

esorscher
2010-07-24, 06:26 PM
"His tracks lead off beyond the dune," Mneumos points. "We'll have to go on foot if we want to follow."

Ellisande
2010-07-27, 09:28 AM
Rhaokarmund

The dwarf glances around his companions. "Well, as long as we're here, let's take a quick look." Still holding the scroll, he stands and stretches, his muscles sore from the wagon ride.

VinGoodman
2010-07-27, 10:02 AM
"Sounds good." Jasker voices his agreement to the plan as he stands and stretches himself. The long day's ride is starting to get to him, and Jasker welcomes a bit of change of pace for the day. As the group gets ready, Jasker takes another look toward the direction of the fleeing man, wondering who he was and what motivated him to act as he did. Perhaps we'll find out soon enough, Jasker thinks to himself as he grins wryly.

tonberryking
2010-07-28, 08:55 AM
Strago steps onto the dunes with Notch, waving his hand as if to ward the others. "Me an' the wolf can cover more ground quicker an get back this way faster." he offers, not wanting to put anyone through unnecessary travel along all these damn dunes. Maybe we can pick up a scent, but with these shiftin' sands, I make no promises...

The_JJ
2010-07-28, 10:12 AM
Victor scans over the dune. Following the man's retreat. Suddenly this was seeming... less like a man in trouble, more like street gang setting an ambush for some fool merchant. Well, no way out but in. Victor rechecked his swords and nodded at the wolf. Lead on Strago, but I don't think we should go anywhere alone.

tonberryking
2010-08-04, 09:54 PM
Strago tries to argue the point.

"Two wolves move faster than th' whole crew of us... You don't send th' 'tire army out to do some scouting, do you?" he asks, as a matter of factly, though there seems to be some warmth, or at least sense of protecting in his intent, rather than him trying to put anyone down...

The_JJ
2010-08-05, 12:47 PM
Well I guess if there's two of you, it's not quite alone.

VinGoodman
2010-08-06, 10:07 PM
ooc Any reason you want to be alone? You're welcome to do so, though I generally think it's a bad idea to separate, as that means a part of the group is idle (in this case, everyone except you and the DM), which can sometimes be a death sentence to PBP's.
Jasker shrugs. "I'll leave it to your judgment. Be careful out there."

tonberryking
2010-08-09, 09:49 AM
Strago responds by turning into a wolf again, the brute loping off into a run with Notch as he follows the tracks (and possibly a scent as well), taking care not to bluster ahead without trying to conceal himself. he also grimly reasons if this deals a death sentence to him, well then the others will have a far easier time tracking two sets of wolf tracks and the original set before they see that things went awry...

[roll0] Survival check to follow the trail, but also, I'm keeping mind to keep distance or cover involved, so...
[roll1] [roll2] Move silently/hide checks. Also a knowledge nature check. Strago has the scent ability after burning an AoW spell, and maybe he can put together what giant gastropod's using this area as its haunts: [roll3]

[roll4][roll5] Spot/listen may help too...

VinGoodman
2010-08-11, 10:35 PM
Jasker settles in with the group and begins making camp. He looks out in the direction the wolves ventured, worry clearly etched upon his face. "I hope all is well out there."

The_JJ
2010-08-11, 11:45 PM
Eh. I've been on scout before. Mostly it involves sitting in some leaf covered blind that even I think is way to cramped and boredom.

Gryps2
2010-08-12, 06:14 AM
Following the rider's trail in the desert sand is simplicity itself for Strago and Notch; the galloping camel has left deep tracks in the sand that are plainly visible to their nocturnal vision. Following them up the dune, Strago can see that the pursuit will not be a long one; the dune is much steeper on the other side and the rider and mount have tumbled down it, becoming separated along the way. Both rider and camel seem to be relatively uninjured, though a great deal from the camel's packs remains strewn across the dune face. The rider has the camel by the reins and is trying to calm it when he spots the two wolves, the crest of the dune providing poor cover and allowing their silhouettes to be seen against the sky. He panics, and draws a scimitar while also trying to mount his camel. "Stay back!"

Ellisande
2010-08-16, 11:28 PM
Rhaokarmund

The dwarf has little sense of time in the evening's gloom. "What do you suppose is taking him so long? You think the... thing... got him?"

VinGoodman
2010-08-16, 11:57 PM
Jasker sighs as he stirs the fire. The waiting has always been hard for Jasker. He turns his brown eyes toward where the two wolves vanished off to, blinking as a dastardly wind brings with it sand enough to obscure his vision. Jasker removes his lenses and gives it a good wipe with a spare cloth. "I don't know, Rhaokarmund, I don't know. The dunes are treacherous enough, and there's a creature out there that's likely to mean us harm. Let us be patient, and trust him to return to us this night." With another sigh, Jasker returns to the stirring of the fire.

tonberryking
2010-08-19, 08:05 PM
Strago blinks and with a shake of his black pelt the wolf turns into a half orc.

...Which, he winces in realization, is probably a worse alternative for a scared of of his wits man to face and he quickly holds his hands up peacefully. "Whoa! Whoa... I's with the Slayer's Guild. Mean you no harm, no fear needed, y'see?" he takes a step back and Notch follows him. "We're hunting a monster at the moment; was you runnin' from something big an' mean with lotsa teeth or are we about to run into a... uh... a bandit lair or somethin'?"

Diplomacy time! Which will probably end in disaster: [roll0]

Gryps2
2010-08-21, 07:42 AM
If Strago had designed a situation to frighten the man more, he probably could not have. Thanks to his infravision, Strago has a good look at the man's features, and there is a noticeable contortion of displeasure as Strago mentions the Guild. The man scrambles over to pick up a satchel, keeping his sword up. "I have no business with you! How dare you come upon me like a thief in the night?! Be off, and let me on my way!"

tonberryking
2010-08-24, 10:01 PM
"I jes wanna know what you was runnin from!" Strago protests, bearing his tusk like teeth in frustration, though he keeps backing up. "Keep yer damn camel and go bury yourself in the sand for all I cares, but just tell me what got yer knickers inna not, ya dope!"

He takes one step back towards the man with a clenched fist. If this doesn't do too much he will merely turn back into a wolf and lope off, leaving the frightened fellow to his devices. Unless the man is stupid enough to attack. he probably won't, though; Strago looks cross enough to make him try to eat that sword if he gets any more uppity.