PDA

View Full Version : Exalted Hulk?

Admiral Squish
2010-04-02, 10:21 PM
So, I'm new to any system but D&D 3.5 however, I was recently convinced to give exalted a try. So, I look over my options, I see ideas, and... I have no idea how to make it work. It doesn't help the gorram PDF I got is either too small to read properly or annoyingly slow in scrolling. So, I'm still trying to decipher the whole character creation thing.

As it stands, the idea I'd like help with is an abyssal martial artist/warrior... who has a combat style somewhat akin to the incredible hulk. Looking for lots of HOLY SH-- moments with tremendous feats of strength and toughness. Throwing wagons and carts, punching through walls... That sort of thing.

So, playground, you guys being as awesome as you are, what kind of help do you have for me? Keep in mind I will have to hunt down any additional books beyond core to use suggestions from them.

Oh, and he needs a name. I'm no good with exalted names.

Yuki Akuma
2010-04-02, 10:39 PM
Infernal Monster Style seems like it'd fit perfectly, although... good luck rationalising an Abyssal knowing the Green Sun Prince Hero Style.

nargbop
2010-04-02, 10:45 PM
It's up to you, of course, but I wouldn't play my first game in Exalted as anything but a Solar.
Three primary methods of being Hulksmash :
1. Solar with Solar Hero Style - improvised weapons are intentionally covered. Your charms massively increase damage.
2. Lunar with STR-based Charms - gettings closer. This character construction is more convoluted.
3. Infernal with Infernal Monster Style. This is exactly what you describe. Only downside : being enslaved to your very core. I find Infernal character design very difficult to follow.

I don't know enough about Abyssals to say if there's a canon way to Hulk out.

tonberrian
2010-04-02, 10:48 PM
If you had access to MoEP: Infernals, Infernal Monster style would be the Martial Art you want - "Exalted who study this art learn to use their rage as a lense, focusing Essence towards acts of unthinkable brutality and savagery. There is nothing noble about this art except the refreshing simplicity with which it grinds enemies into sticky red paste." It just gets better (worse?) from there. Aside from that, Solar Hero style is also about wailing on things with awesome power, but with less RAGE.

Yuki Akuma
2010-04-02, 10:49 PM
Psst: you don't need to be an Infernal to learn Infernal Monster Style. Infernals can just learn it without a tutor, but anyone capable of learning Celestial Martial Arts can learn it by rote.

Admiral Squish
2010-04-02, 11:18 PM
Keep in mind the idea is malleable. That was just the inital thought. The concept can be maintained as an infernal, a solar, what have you.

Tavar
2010-04-02, 11:25 PM
You might try this program (http://anathema.sourceforge.net/).

It can really help one organize things.

Admiral Squish
2010-04-02, 11:44 PM
You might try this program (http://anathema.sourceforge.net/).

It can really help one organize things.

I got it, but it shouts that I have to change read/write permissions. Any idea HOW?

Arcanoi
2010-04-02, 11:46 PM
I'd say a Lunar with Strength Charms, War Form Knacks, and Infernal Hero style (They're not mutually exclusive, sirs!) should be your first choice. Good luck reconciling that, but yeah :smalltongue:

Tavar
2010-04-02, 11:51 PM
I got it, but it shouts that I have to change read/write permissions. Any idea HOW?

Did you manage to install it, or is it saying that in response to your installation attempts.

Admiral Squish
2010-04-02, 11:52 PM
Did you manage to install it, or is it saying that in response to your installation attempts.

I installed it, it's saying it when I try to open it. Well, it gets like halfway through opening, then it gives me the message.

Tavar
2010-04-03, 12:01 AM
If you're on Vista,

On certain configurations of Windows Vista, Anathema won't be able to create a repository folder.

To work around the problem, you need to run the program as an administrator at all times. Do this by right-clicking anathema.exe and checking the "Run as Administrator" checkbox on the compatibilities tab.

If not, umm..Do you have Java installed? Otherwise, I got nothing. Submit a bug report?

Admiral Squish
2010-04-03, 12:03 AM
If you're on Vista,

If not, umm..Do you have Java installed? Otherwise, I got nothing. Submit a bug report?

It LIIIIIVES!

tonberrian
2010-04-03, 11:06 AM
Increasing Strength Exercise (Exalted 225) could be used to simulate "hulking out", and Battle Fury Focus/Bloodthirsty Sword-Dancer Spirit (Exalted 208 for both) similates RAGE. Increasing Strength Exercise has an Abyssal Mirror charm (Corpse-Might Surge), but there isn't a mirror for BFF or BSDS.

Admiral Squish
2010-04-03, 12:11 PM
Now, I'm not looking for the whiny banner part, or really all that much in the way of rage. I just want the massive property damage, incredible strength...

Honestly, the infernal style sounds pretty much what I'm looking for.

Sanguine
2010-04-03, 12:30 PM
Now, I'm not looking for the whiny banner part, or really all that much in the way of rage. I just want the massive property damage, incredible strength...

Honestly, the infernal style sounds pretty much what I'm looking for.

Also the Infernal Style let's you use your opponents as improvised weapons. That is just awesome.

TheCountAlucard
2010-04-03, 12:47 PM
If you wanna do the Hulk-jumping, too, there's Charms for that. :smallamused:

For extra lulz, pull off that Charm where you punch an opponent twenty miles, and then leap after them. :smallbiggrin:

Sanguine
2010-04-03, 12:49 PM
If you wanna do the Hulk-jumping, too, there's Charms for that. :smallamused:

For extra lulz, pull off that Charm where you punch an opponent twenty miles, and then leap after them. :smallbiggrin:

Of course he can't do that as an Abyssal as it's an expansion Charm but he could do it as a Solar or Infernal.

Yuki Akuma
2010-04-03, 06:04 PM
Sure he can do it as an Abyssal. A Moonshadow.