PDA

View Full Version : Which books to get?

Kris Strife
2010-04-03, 05:12 AM
I'm getting ready to hunt down some more 3.5 books online and wondered what I should get. I've got core, Draconomicon, Libris Mortis, MM2+3, Exemplars of Evil, Elder Evils, BoED, races of the dragon, Dragon Magic, Complete Warrior, Divine, Champion, Adventurer, Scoundrel, Arcane and Cityscape.

What should my first three choices be, provided I can find them?

Yora
2010-04-03, 05:18 AM
I'd get Lords of Madness, it's really good with lots of stuff on Aberrations.

Psionic Handbook is also a good one, but only if you're interested in what is essentially an alternative arcane magic system. It's a good system, but doesn't allow you to do anything a sorcerer couldn't do as well. Just in a slightly different way.

Then I also like Races of the Wild and the Manual of the Planes. But mostly for fluff reasons. I'm not sure if there's actually any useable crunch in them.

Eldariel
2010-04-03, 05:30 AM
I'd say Tome of Battle for #1. That book is oodles of fun. Then, Dungeonscape (hey, it's written in part by Rich Burlew!) and PHBII. Those would expand player options the most. Though Magic Item Compendium and Spell Compendium are fine alternatives (SC mostly for convenience; between Completes you have most of those spells, but finding them in one place is handy; MiC is nice from DM's side of screen too if not in mood for coming up with new items for treasure every session).

If you're seeking to expand things from the DM's side of screen, Stormwrack, Fiend Folio & the mentioned Lords of Madness are all nice ways to spice things up, though adding it up, contain a frightening amount of tentacles. Assuming your players don't mind, those expand campaigns rather nicely. Dungeonscape isn't a bad campaign expansion book either.

I'd suggest XPH up there except it's in the SRD. Also, Magic of Incarnum is definitely something to flavor to taste; either it hits like 10000 Volts, or you just kinda go "Meh." Tome of Magic too but I'd get Magic of Incarnum first.

Divinech
2010-04-03, 05:47 AM
I have two recommendations:
Magic Item Compendium - It's always fun to have more toys!
Player's Handbook II - More options for any character.

The psionics book may be a good choice too, if: a) you want to introduce psionics into your campaign world and b) you want more to read than what already is in the SRD.

Mordokai
2010-04-03, 06:18 AM
Heroes of Horror come with shining reccomendations from me. It is a really nice book if you're planning on running a horror adventure and has some interesting spells and feats as well. But mostly I love it's flavor, which, to me personally, is really one of the best out there.

Paulus
2010-04-03, 02:05 PM
I agree with everybody above me and below me, because books are awesome. We all need more books. Further, as my own personal suggestion 'Races of the Wild' Why? Two words. Kitty People. And who doesn't like kitty people? Oh and there are gnolls and bird people and plant people, but seriously. Kitty people.

I just love cat folk!

Gralamin
2010-04-03, 02:09 PM
Tome of Magic (http://www.amazon.com/Magic-TrueName-Dungeons-Roleplaying-Supplement/dp/0786939095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270322604&sr=8-1)
Tome of Battle (http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Dungeons-Dragons-Fantasy-Roleplaying/dp/0786939222/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270322637&sr=8-1)
Dungeonscape (http://www.amazon.com/Dungeonscape-Essential-Adventuring-Dungeons-Roleplaying/dp/0786941189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270322655&sr=8-1)

Magic of Incarnum is also a good book, but it requires a lot of time and effort to figure out how it works, and to use it correctly.

Lord Loss
2010-04-03, 02:31 PM
1. Magic Item Compendium is a must-have.

2. Heroes of Horror, unless your camapaigns are usually very, very lighthearted.

3. Tome of Magic is a MUST-BUY for anyone who likes magic, but hates the way it's done in Core D&D. Heck, even if you like core Magic, get it!

4. Lord Of Madness, if you like abberations. If not, don't get it.

5. FF1 or 2 is great if you like Demons or Devils.

Gnorman
2010-04-03, 05:16 PM
As a DM:

Fiendish Codex I & II, Lords of Madness.

As a player:

PHB II, Tome of Battle, and Magic Item Compendium. Seconding Dungeonscape as well, if only for the Factotum.