PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Names for Tomes of Knowledge?

Kosjsjach
2010-04-03, 08:08 AM
From what I've gathered, a book on an appropriate subject is generally accepted as a masterwork tool (+2 circumstance bonus, 50gp). I have an Illumian Archivist/ Mystic Theurge statted and he already gets [8+ranks] to any Knowledge check (from a high Int, the Naen sigil, and the Absent-Minded trait), but for flavor reasons I want him to tote around a miniature library of various tomes.

The point I'm trying to get to is I was hoping for some creative/amusing names for the various books, one for each Knowledge skill. I'll fill them in here as they come.

Arcana (ancient mysteries, magic traditions, arcane symbols, cryptic phrases, constructs, dragons, magical beasts):
Architecture & Engineering (buildings, aqueducts, bridges, fortifications):
Dungeoneering (aberrations, caverns, oozes, spelunking):
Geography (lands, terrain, climate, people):
History (royalty, wars, colonies, migrations, founding of cities):
Local (legends, personalities, inhabitants, laws, customs, traditions, humanoids):
Nature (animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, seasons and cycles, weather, vermin):
Nobility & Royalty (lineages, heraldry, family trees, mottoes, personalities):
Religion (gods and goddesses, mythic history, ecclesiastic tradition, holy symbols, undead):
The Planes (the Inner, Outer, and Transitive planes, outsiders, elementals, magic related to the planes):

I know playgrounders to be a humorous and creative bunch. Don't disappoint! :smallsmile:

nonbeliever93
2010-04-03, 09:28 AM
WARNING: Really bad puns ahead. Cringe Level: Over 9000!

Arcana: Opus Pocus, Spelling Book, Mage's Pages, Hexed Text, The Daily Telepath
Architecture & Engineering: The Architext, Forts Illustrated
Dungeoneering: The Manual Manual, Lair Lexicon, Cave Reviews, Trolling Stone
Geography: The Handy Landy Handbook, The Worldwide Guide, Ports Illustrated
History: Tome of Times, An Age Turner
Local: A Tome and a Place, The Indigenous Index
Nature: Foliage Folio, Encyclopedia Botanica/Animalia, Creatures Features
Nobility & Royalty: Reading Between the Bloodlines, Esquire, Empire Magazine (could work for History/Geography/Local as well), Courts Illustrated
Religion: Prayboy/Praygirl Magazine.
The Planes: Cosmospolitan

There're a mix of sayings, puns and plain alliteration in there. I love making puns so this was really fun for me :D.

Radar
2010-04-03, 10:10 AM
Generic name: Ye Olde X Almanach
Geography and/or local: Hitchhikers Guide to your world here
Dungeoneering: Kobold Quarterly (http://www.koboldquarterly.com/)
Religion: Everything you wanted to know about gods, but were afraid to ask (subtitle written by hand: and rightfully so). (the tome bears sings of multiple burning attempts; some pages were torn and carefuly stiched back together; some are visibly taken from different books; the cover has no title on it at all and was probably added later on)

jpreem
2010-04-03, 11:22 AM
WARNING: Really bad puns ahead. Cringe Level: Over 9000!

Arcana: Opus Pocus, Spelling Book, Mage's Pages, Hexed Text, The Daily Telepath
Architecture & Engineering: The Architext, Forts Illustrated
Dungeoneering: The Manual Manual, Lair Lexicon, Cave Reviews, Trolling Stone
Geography: The Handy Landy Handbook, The Worldwide Guide, Ports Illustrated
History: Tome of Times, An Age Turner
Local: A Tome and a Place, The Indigenous Index
Nature: Foliage Folio, Encyclopedia Botanica/Animalia, Creatures Features
Nobility & Royalty: Reading Between the Bloodlines, Esquire, Empire Magazine (could work for History/Geography/Local as well), Courts Illustrated
Religion: Prayboy/Praygirl Magazine.
The Planes: Cosmospolitan

There're a mix of sayings, puns and plain alliteration in there. I love making puns so this was really fun for me :D.

OOh me likes. I'm usually really pun-happy, can't stop making them - the lamer the better. Also "thats what she said" etc. :D. Enjoyed your work thoroughly.