PDA

View Full Version : I hate Skags. (Borderlands)

dentrag2
2010-04-03, 09:43 AM
I was just wondering -- who else plays borderlands regularly? I picked up Borderlands yesterday due to the 50% off sale, but now I don't know anyone on Steam who plays it. And as fun as this game is in single player, I'll bet it's much better in multiplayer.

So who wants to go shoot some bandits?

Gamespy names = GITP names.
I90r= That_Other_Guy.
Dentrag2=Dentrag2.
Nohwl=Nowhl
Erloas=Erloas

Domochevsky
2010-04-03, 10:07 AM
Hum... is it STEAM-only?

Inhuman Bot
2010-04-03, 10:46 AM
There was a 50% off sale? >.> :smallsigh::smallannoyed:

Smight
2010-04-03, 11:16 AM
There was a 50% off sale? >.> :smallsigh::smallannoyed:

sale is till Monday, question is is the game worth it?

Inhuman Bot
2010-04-03, 11:31 AM

I liked it enough to pay 30$, yeah.

dentrag2
2010-04-03, 11:35 AM
Hum... is it STEAM-only?

You can get it for the Xbox, but... Then you won't be able to play with us!
:smallfrown:

@That_Other_Guy: Depends. It's lacking in terms of plot, but it's a shooter (What do you expect?) but it's a very good RPG, looks fine, and has very good multiplayer.

EDIT: And really, do you need a story in a MULTIPLAYER RPG SHOOTER than "Here be monsters, here's your gun, kill they arse."

Domochevsky
2010-04-03, 12:34 PM
Dammit... i don't have a console and i don't want Steam (no discussions.). You sure there's no PC version without it? :/

dentrag2
2010-04-03, 12:43 PM
Yeah, you can get it WITHOUT steam, it's just more expensive (50$ as compared to 25$ on steam.)

And you won't be able to pleh with us without steem :/

Sleverin
2010-04-03, 12:43 PM
I enjoyed Borderlands to a point, but got kinda bored. It's like a FPS of Diablo with a bunch of crazy guns. But the guns are really fun, and repeatedly dissolving enemies with acid guns is cool. Strangely, did you know the term "skag" is also a slang term for heroin? I found that fact kinda strange...maybe an inside developer joke?

Oh, also, I do have it on Steam, but my house like to experience power issues for turning on my TV, and my computer...can shut down the whole floor :/. I'd love to help fulfill the multiplayer aspect of Borderlands, but...can't right now. Hopefully in the future when my landlord fixes this problem we can behead bandits :D.

Myatar_Panwar
2010-04-03, 12:47 PM

The gunplay is really good.

The leveling system is fun.

Guns could use a bit more variety, but its not really something you think about while you are spewing out 40+ bullets/second with your flaming submachine gun while phasing in and out of existence with giant explosions of fire and electricity.

Plot is non-existent. But the characters you interact with are colorful and interesting.

The online system for PC could use some work, but its better than it was at launch.

Domochevsky
2010-04-03, 12:54 PM
Yeah, you can get it WITHOUT steam, it's just more expensive (50$ as compared to 25$ on steam.)

And you won't be able to pleh with us without steem :/

That's good to hear on one hand and bad on two other hands... a) that's damn expensive and b) the non-Steam version is incompatible in multiplayer with the Steam version? What? oO

Myatar_Panwar
2010-04-03, 12:58 PM
No you can play with people who don't have the steam version. At least I assume you can.

The game uses gamespy (ugh) to connect people. Not steam.

Smight
2010-04-03, 01:09 PM
How does MP work can you join random room or do you have o know people with the game?

dentrag2
2010-04-03, 01:12 PM
I think you can join random or premade rooms....

EDIT: Can we get some steam names up in here if we want to play over steam?
Dentrag2

Smight
2010-04-03, 02:12 PM
Steam name: Smight (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197990743142)

Sleverin
2010-04-03, 02:23 PM
Using Steam is easier, seeing as how you can tell whether or not your friends are online without having to login to the game AND login to gamespy's stuff. Thankfully the multiplayer actually works without needing 3rd party apps, like it used to. Opening rooms is not at all difficult, you just tell the game you want to make a lobby, tell it what char you want to use, and make up a room name. I think you can make it friends only too, though I'm not too sure. Oh, and you have to add your friends via gamespy instead of Steam, which can be an odd nut to crack, since I haven't been able to do it.

Domochevsky
2010-04-03, 02:29 PM
Hm, if i remember correctly Gamespy is only an "ease of use" extension of the inbuild multiplayer functions (like back with BG2 i used to do multiplayer with occasionally), so maybe there is a way if done "raw" from Borderlands itself.
(But then again, i've been out of the loop for years on the gamespy front.)

Edit: According to a quick googling the steam version uses the gamespy engine build into the game instead of something on its own? :smallconfused:

Myatar_Panwar
2010-04-03, 02:37 PM
Heres how it works:

You can make/join public multiplayer lobbies.

You can make private lobbies (only invites can join).

You can also just straight up invite from your single player game and it will convert it into a private lobby.

You make an account with gamespy and you have your gamespy friends. It is in NO WAY related to your steam friends list. You cannot invite people to your games via your steam friends list. You need to invite them via the built in gamespy list.

Its not that complicated.

dentrag2
2010-04-03, 03:27 PM
... Fine, my Gamespy name will ALSO be Dentrag2.

I'll be free soon, if yall want to Pleh.'

EDIT: If we can get 4 people together, each one of us can play the characters from level one, which is something i would like (Given how i'm only level 12 ingame.)

dentrag2
2010-04-03, 03:59 PM
i have some time to play if you need another person.

That would be marvelous. Gamespy name?

I'm gonna play a Level 1 mordecai.

Nohwl
2010-04-03, 04:00 PM
nohwl gotta go patch the game now.

at least i think thats the name i used for borderlands.

Nohwl
2010-04-03, 04:03 PM
is this for computer or 360?

dentrag2
2010-04-03, 04:08 PM
Computer, As i currently don't have a copy for the 360.

EDIT: I won't be free for 2-3 hours, something just came up...

dresdor
2010-04-03, 04:09 PM
Multiplayer really makes the game. Singleplayer borderlands is just a meh RPG, but playing with friends makes it pop.

Saddly mine is on the 360, so Gl to you PC guys.

Nohwl
2010-04-03, 04:16 PM
thats ok, i'm having trouble figuring out where to put the patch. ok, nevermind.

ok, yeah got it working. and my username is nohwl. i'll be free for the rest of the night.

dentrag2
2010-04-03, 05:08 PM
thats ok, i'm having trouble figuring out where to put the patch. ok, nevermind.

ok, yeah got it working. and my username is nohwl. i'll be free for the rest of the night.

Aright, I'll get mine up and send you a message/invite you to game. I'll be free in 20 or so minutes, so expect it soon.
EDIT: Do you want to make new characters or upload a current one?
My vote is for new, but...

dentrag2
2010-04-03, 05:36 PM
Nohwl, please accept my friend Request. Can't invite you till you do.

Nohwl
2010-04-03, 05:39 PM
sorry, was alt tabbed playing another game.

edit--got disconnected, and it won't let me rejoin.

dentrag2
2010-04-03, 06:45 PM
Was great playing with you Nohwl. Just post on here if you want to play again.

Nohwl
2010-04-03, 06:51 PM
it disconnected me, and won't let me rejoin.

ehh, i'm going to play another game.

dentrag2
2010-04-03, 07:15 PM
Aright. I'll be back on in about an hour and a half if you want to play again.

Nohwl
2010-04-03, 07:36 PM
ok. just invite me whenever you get on.

dentrag2
2010-04-04, 04:25 PM
To whoever was i90n, it was great playing with you, and we should play again sometime. With Nohwl. As fun as 2 people playing is, 3 is better. (I'll bet.)

Smight
2010-04-04, 04:42 PM
that would be me, can the chat messages be slowed down from disappearing ,or viewed somewhere cause i missed more than half of them in game.:smallredface:

dentrag2
2010-04-04, 04:51 PM
that would be me, can the chat messages be slowed down from disappearing ,or viewed somewhere cause i missed more than half of them in game.:smallredface:

I... Honestly don't know. I know it boots off messages if you type too many, so it might just have been me being talkative.

BTW, why don't you use Bloodwing more? Or is he worse than i remember?

dentrag2
2010-04-04, 06:35 PM
BTW, if anyone missed THAT_OTHER_GUYs gamespy name, it's i90n

Nohwl
2010-04-04, 07:47 PM
how far did you two get? i'll try and catch up to where ever it is.

dentrag2
2010-04-04, 07:53 PM
how far did you two get? i'll try and catch up to where ever it is.

We're at about level... 17 or 18, i'll check, but i have to get on my Siren since i was levelling on my Soldier at the time. I'm free, so i'll send ya an invite (we did Moe&marley and the crystals, as well as safehouse.)

Nohwl
2010-04-04, 07:56 PM
alright, im online now.

dentrag2
2010-04-04, 08:03 PM
We made it to about 18, and 1/3 of the way through that.

dentrag2
2010-04-04, 08:12 PM
... Are you having any problems? You keep leaving after apparently freezing up.

Erloas
2010-04-04, 10:08 PM
I finally got it downloaded and installed. My brothers and I played it a fair amount this morning. Got to about 15ish level. If anyone want to add me as a friend my account name there is also erloas (its nice having a name that didn't come from somewhere so no one else ever uses it)

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-04, 10:13 PM
I always liked Bloodwing. He was a free kill. I just threw him out as soon as the fight started and someone died. That was always nice. I recall on one occasion there was a huge gun shooting me and I shot at it but couldn't do any damage. So then I threw bloodwing and it killed the guy firing the turret.

dentrag2
2010-04-04, 10:27 PM
Awesome. we're about level 18, having gotten the Key to the mine, but not actually there yet.

I'll add you. 3 at once!

EDIT: Also, which character are you? We've got a Mordecai, and a siren/Soldier.

dentrag2
2010-04-04, 11:29 PM
I always liked Bloodwing. He was a free kill. I just threw him out as soon as the fight started and someone died. That was always nice. I recall on one occasion there was a huge gun shooting me and I shot at it but couldn't do any damage. So then I threw bloodwing and it killed the guy firing the turret.

Shadow... do you want to pleh with us? I kno you are laggy, but...

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-05, 06:17 AM
Shadow... do you want to pleh with us? I kno you are laggy, but...

No thank you I am already playing borderlands with this other jerk and while he isn't much fun I'm already a third of the way through the game and I'd rather not to it again

Optimystik
2010-04-05, 07:46 AM
Guns could use a bit more variety, but its not really something you think about while you are spewing out 40+ bullets/second with your flaming submachine gun while phasing in and out of existence with giant explosions of fire and electricity.

Guns, schmuns. I use Brick.

Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu Something Else? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DidYouJustPunchOutCthulhu)

dentrag2
2010-04-05, 10:07 AM
Opti, do you come to play with us or discuss? (If you come to play, put up your Gamespy name. If not, let us still have a wonderful chat.)

EDIT: Brick? Isn't brick considered the worst character in the game? I'm a big fan of 2nd worst, Roland. PEW PEW PEW!

dentrag2
2010-04-05, 02:14 PM
... Anyone want to play? Nobody seems to be online.

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-05, 03:45 PM
I hate brick because when he goes into RAGE mode every punch becomes elemental.

I find it hard enough to shoot enemies without the entire battlefield being covered in lightning.

Myatar_Panwar
2010-04-05, 10:43 PM
I absolutely love brick

Mostly for the master blaster skill :P

factotum
2010-04-06, 01:34 AM
I hate brick because when he goes into RAGE mode every punch becomes elemental.

I find it hard enough to shoot enemies without the entire battlefield being covered in lightning.

Don't use lightning when you're berserking, then--there ARE three other elemental powers available. :smallsmile:

Erloas
2010-04-06, 11:39 AM
Well the friends list is not all that great, seeing as it seems you have to be able to talk to people outside of the game to get anything going. I haven't found any way to send people messages through the friends list and the only other way is in-game.

How many other people are playing through Steam? At least the chat system in that works.

I've got my siren up to level 20 and just left fyrestone. But I'm only playing that character with my brothers so we all stay together on missions.

I've got a hunter at 15 as well. I haven't played the soldier or brick yet. So if anyone is playing a lower level game I would be happy to join in. Of course it will be another 6ish hours before I'm home and can play.

Nohwl
2010-04-06, 12:43 PM
there is a way to whisper, but i don't know what button it is. but the online is pretty bad.

Smight
2010-04-06, 02:14 PM
BTW, if anyone missed THAT_OTHER_GUYs gamespy name, it's i90n

i90r not 190n,
i'm usualy on from 5-9pm CET
or you can add me at steam Smight (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197990743142)
where is much easier to send mesage when not in game.

BRC
2010-04-06, 02:33 PM
I picked it up over the weekend started playing a Hunter, and have been having a good time.

I'm level 20 and just killed Sledge. I'm wondering if it's worth it to stick around and finish the quests in Arid Hills or move on to the next area.

Nohwl
2010-04-06, 02:43 PM
it's really your choice about beating the quests. you are usually between 30 and 35 when you beat the game the first time. then you play through it again, and all the enemies are stronger and a higher level. the only ones you really want to do are the claptrap ones, because they allow you to hold more stuff.

Optimystik
2010-04-06, 02:50 PM
Opti, do you come to play with us or discuss? (If you come to play, put up your Gamespy name. If not, let us still have a wonderful chat.)

I play on 360 I'm afraid, otherwise I'd love to.

EDIT: Brick? Isn't brick considered the worst character in the game? I'm a big fan of 2nd worst, Roland. PEW PEW PEW!

I honestly consider Brick to be the best character in the game. Between Blood Sport, Endless Rage, Hardened and Juggernaut you can take ungodly amounts of punishment. His rage has a short cooldown, meaning you can just use it to heal between battles by crouching behind cover and growling for a few seconds while you heal to full. It got to the point where I would forget I had health kits with him.

Furthermore, his fists scale with level, meaning you don't have to worry about keeping your gun upgraded as much as the others do. And "+X% melee damage" weapons boost your fist damage as well.

Use the Explosive Artifact with his fists - very few enemies resist it (it's the same damage type as regular grenades) and the splash is fairly widespread. I took out an entire platoon of Crimson Lance by wailing on one of the armored ones, and the explosions even managed to slip around behind the engineers' shielded turrets. Lightning is a good secondary for when you fight Eridians.

Raroy
2010-04-06, 05:09 PM
I finally beat this game. It's kind of a bore by yourself. Some thoughts I had on the game:

The end game weapons were entertaining. Why couldn't guns earlier in the game be as exotic?

Mordecai focusing in sniper rifles makes the end of the game really easy.

As the credits rolled, one thought was stuck in my mind. They tried so hard to make clap trap a likable mascot. It's amazing how much they failed.

All in all, I wish some one would of had the patience to play with me :smallfrown:.

dentrag2
2010-04-06, 05:31 PM
Well the friends list is not all that great, seeing as it seems you have to be able to talk to people outside of the game to get anything going. I haven't found any way to send people messages through the friends list and the only other way is in-game.

How many other people are playing through Steam? At least the chat system in that works.

I've got my siren up to level 20 and just left fyrestone. But I'm only playing that character with my brothers so we all stay together on missions.

I've got a hunter at 15 as well. I haven't played the soldier or brick yet. So if anyone is playing a lower level game I would be happy to join in. Of course it will be another 6ish hours before I'm home and can play.

I know I am, i90r is, and presumably you are playing through steam. Unfortunately, I won't be done reinstalling borderlands after the game somehow managed to CORRUPT ITSELF for another 2 hours... Which is right when you get home! So far, we're at level 18, and I'd be glad to help you level a bit (Or start new characters, if you guys want to... again.) to get to the plot mission we are at.

EDIT: Raroy, I have nigh infinite patience and infinite boredom -- two gifts that come from looking for the vault. I'd probably be able to put up with you, but I can't join your games unless i know your Gamespy ID.

Triscuitable
2010-04-06, 06:05 PM

I poured roughly 5 days of time into the game, and my character is level 60, with all items Legendary or up. So yeah, it's worth it. But I'd reccomend the console versions. There is a much larger community. It is not Steam only, it's PC (retail), PC (direct download), Xbox 360, and Playstation 3.

Erloas
2010-04-09, 07:03 PM
Well anyone up for a game right now, or maybe over the weekend? I've got a 15-18ish hunter or I'm up to starting a new character if anyone wants to.

Triscuitable
2010-04-09, 10:23 PM
Well anyone up for a game right now, or maybe over the weekend? I've got a 15-18ish hunter or I'm up to starting a new character if anyone wants to.

I'd be fine with that. Let me know on XBL. I'm Triscuitable. Only on Weekends, only for an hour. (I want to avoid addiction again.)

Still level 60... *Sigh*
I have some other class too... Bored...

Erloas
2010-04-27, 09:28 AM
Well its almost 3 weeks, but that shouldn't be too long for being thread necromancy...

I have two question for everyone.
First, how do the coliseums work? I've went to the one in Fyrestone with other people, you can set free-for-all or teams, but there is no way to select ready. We can't get anything else to happen. I wasn't able to find anything online that addresses the coliseum other then just saying they are there.

The other question is... are the DLC worth it? How much time do you get out of each one? Do they set to your level or do you have to get a character to their designed level for them to actually be a challenge? (the game isn't any fun when stuff becomes trivially easy)
Which of the 3 are better?

Smight
2010-04-27, 10:23 AM
Well its almost 3 weeks, but that shouldn't be too long for being thread necromancy...

I have two question for everyone.
First, how do the coliseums work? I've went to the one in Fyrestone with other people, you can set free-for-all or teams, but there is no way to select ready. We can't get anything else to happen. I wasn't able to find anything online that addresses the coliseum other then just saying they are there.

The other question is... are the DLC worth it? How much time do you get out of each one? Do they set to your level or do you have to get a character to their designed level for them to actually be a challenge? (the game isn't any fun when stuff becomes trivially easy)
Which of the 3 are better?

Moxxi sets the level to yours other have fixed ones,
in content they go Armoury, Zombie Island, Mad Moxxi, in duration Zombie island is the shortest but that is only because Mad Moxxi has lots of grinding it's a tournament whit mooks attacking you and boss at every 5 rounds, and there are 5 levels each 5 rounds , there are three arenas, and when you finish that you get 20 levels arena, enemies level is always set to your own and you do not get exp there, other two are additional quests set in storey after you found the vault, if you are getting only one Armoury is definitely best pick, and they definitely beat MW2 with 3+2 maps for 22$ yes they decided that 15 $ is not expensive enough for European players and they must charge more.

factotum
2010-04-27, 11:51 AM
DLC: I'd recommend getting Zombie Island and playing through it first, because everything in it is balanced on the assumption your character is no higher than 50th level. Once you install Knoxx then the level cap goes up to 61, which will rapidly make ZL a walk in the park. Both ZL and Knoxx are pretty good extensions to the story.

Moxxi is really only worth buying for the 2 extra skill points (you get one for completing the "5 round" missions in each playthrough) and the bank--there isn't really any other reason to own it.

Erloas
2010-04-27, 01:25 PM
Moxxi is really only worth buying for the 2 extra skill points (you get one for completing the "5 round" missions in each playthrough) and the bank--there isn't really any other reason to own it.

For me, the question is, is it fun. It doesn't matter if it follows the story logically, has better drops or extra skill points, just if its fun.

factotum
2010-04-27, 03:56 PM
Well, do you find just constantly shooting things with little rhyme or reward to it fun? Because if so, Moxxi is for you. I prefer a bit more structure to things (e.g. a reason to be actually shooting the enemies), though!

PanzerFox
2010-05-07, 09:30 AM
I agree with the Title. I hate Skags extremely! :furious:

Erloas
2010-05-07, 12:37 PM
I named my solider Van Owen... if any Warren Zevon fans get the reference...

I've been having fun with Zombie Island. Its really easy if you have a couple levels on it, but if you are at the level point where you are a few below it, it becomes a real challenge and a lot more fun. I went in with my lvl 16 and they scaled everything to 15 and it was a cake walk. I went in at 38-39 and they scaled it to 40-42 and even the regular zombies are a challenge. It makes every tankenstein a real battle, and the pumpkin fight was a blast. We haven't yet finished it on the upper level though.