PDA

View Full Version : [4e] - New Race Structure Introduced in PH3

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-03, 01:46 PM
Hey, I think this has likely been brought up in this forum before, but what does everyone think of the new stat-boost structure of the races in PH3? Do you think that this structure could be extended to the existing races without overpowering them?

For example, making Eladrin +2 INT, +2 DEX/CHA, so they actually make good Bards? or making Drow +2 CHA, +2 DEX/WIS, so they actually make good Clerics? Or, quite possibly making humans +2 PHYSICAL, +2 MENTAL, so that they don't totally lose their schtick to these new races?

Gralamin
2010-04-03, 01:53 PM
Hey, I think this has likely been brought up in this forum before, but what does everyone think of the new stat-boost structure of the races in PH3? Do you think that this structure could be extended to the existing races without overpowering them?

For example, making Eladrin +2 INT, +2 DEX/CHA, so they actually make good Bards? or making Drow +2 CHA, +2 DEX/WIS, so they actually make good Clerics? Or, quite possibly making humans +2 PHYSICAL, +2 MENTAL, so that they don't totally lose their schtick to these new races?

I made a thread about doing this Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145089).

Notably, I made Humans +2 to each ability in a Defense (+2 Str +2 Con, or +2 Dex +2 Int, or +2 Wis +2 Cha), as this ensures they don't have a massive defense bonus (Racial traits for +1 to each NAD, Stats for +1 to two more (and possibly +1 to AC) = +5 to +6 Defenses from race!)

Edit: And I just realized I never put Drow in there. Fixing.

tcrudisi
2010-04-03, 04:01 PM
I really like the new system as it will really help to expand options. I know I want my characters to be effective, so I limit myself to choices that give +2 to the two stats I really need. By doing this, it will give everyone more options for flavor purposes (while still allowing effectiveness), and I'm a huge fan of that.

It's also suspected by many that WotC will be releasing an errata for all the previous races, giving them the same options. For instance, in the new Winning Races: Half-Elf article, one of the feats mentioned allowing Half-Elves to use Cha, Con, or Wis... so it is now suspected that those are the 3 stats they will get to choose from (probably Cha and choice of Con or Wis, but that's just my own guess).

Kurald Galain
2010-04-03, 05:16 PM
Well, see, the thing is that Eladrin already make good bards, and that while the +2 to cha is nice to have, it is neither essential, nor anywhere near the big deal the WOTC forums make it out to be.

Yes, this could certainly be extended to any race without overpowering them.