PDA

View Full Version : Halp

Dirk Anger
2010-04-03, 03:36 PM
Hey guys, this is basically a brainstorming thread for a campaign I have to run today.

I'm a 3.5 vet but haven't really played since switching school's a few years back. Now, later today I'm supposed to DM some newbs who are friends of mine. My idea is pretty much to toss them into a city that is tearing itself apart through a civil war (I'm a big DMZ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(comics)) fan), but since this is happening tonight I'm going to be stuck doing this by the seat of my pants.

Any ideas on the best way to get the ball rolling? I was thinking doing a cold open sorta deal where the PCs thwart a bank robbery, and upon exiting the bank realize something much larger is going down.

Any and all responses are greatly appreciated, and will likely help the session move at a quicker clip than if I had to develop the outline of events solo

Thanks in advance guys.

reptilecobra13
2010-04-03, 03:44 PM
Here's an idea. Start with each of your players' characters at slightly different points around the town/city. Somehow each of them is all attracted to the robbery (or perhaps have one be involved and manages to convince the rest that he/she is innocent). This is a way to introduce all of the characters to one another without the stereotypical tavern gathering. A combination of characters from inside and outside of the city could lend an interesting idea for use of Knowledge (Local) rolls for the characters from the city and allow them to access certain information that the characters from outside might not be able to get otherwise. It's an idea of a way to get characters with different perspectives on the events going on in the city.

Traveler
2010-04-03, 03:55 PM
When the PCs stop the thieves, something one the thieves is carrying (or stole) is important to eithier faction in the civil war you have set up.
Or... (still running with the plothook item theme)
When they stop the thieves, another groups of thieves shows up to steal what the first set of thieves were trying to steal. This should be a big hint of "hey, this thing must be important".
Oh, and something needs to be on fire.:smallwink:

Paulus
2010-04-03, 05:35 PM
If you want DMZ and you want fly by the seat of your pants, nothing says on the run in the city like finding a way out. To make it interesting, have them all meet on a plane or transport device. They are all traveling somewhere for their own reasons when suddenly it goes down. Hit by a stray rocket/missile/fireball.
When each awakes they find themselves in the middle of a war ravaged city rife with looters, riots, and gangs.

As they progress to find a way out they learn certain things, who the factions are, their goals, and finally the big problem. Whats the big problem? Well the neighboring states/cities/etc have had enough and they will be carpet bombing, destroying, setting off a huge destructive kaboom whatever in the next -TIME LIMIT- the exact time is unconfirmed, but their are rumors which is why the city is now going crazy, everyone is running for their lives.

Now they have motive, urgency, and can come across random encounters all you want to get out.

Hope that helps.

Dirk Anger
2010-04-04, 02:25 AM
Had to run the first session before reading most of these posts, but these ideas will likely make a boring first adventure into a more satisfying campaign. So thanks guys. :smallsmile: