PDA

View Full Version : I can't decide.

Trodon
2010-04-03, 04:51 PM
I hope to be in a gesalt game soon and was wondering, what class should I take with a Dollmaker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145477) it's level 3, I'm trying to only use core besides the dollmaker class.

Paulus
2010-04-03, 05:40 PM
I hope to be in a gesalt game soon and was wondering, what class should I take with a Dollmaker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145477) it's level 3, I'm trying to only use core besides the dollmaker class.

Hmm well off the top of my head, I'd keep in line with the whole 'doll maker' Idea and go Artificer, or alchemy/item driven class of your choice. Need a bit more info before I can make a stronger suggestion. Setting? with core 3/3.5/4? Time? Party make up? What do you want to play? That sort of thing.

Trodon
2010-04-03, 06:13 PM
Hmm well off the top of my head, I'd keep in line with the whole 'doll maker' Idea and go Artificer, or alchemy/item driven class of your choice. Need a bit more info before I can make a stronger suggestion. Setting? with core 3/3.5/4? Time? Party make up? What do you want to play? That sort of thing.

Sorry, homebrew setting, 3.5, not sure how long I have, we have almost everything covered, I'm just looking for something to take that won't interfere with the dollmaker. I think that's all

reptilecobra13
2010-04-03, 06:16 PM
If you're wanting to stick to a core class, you may want to think about Rogue. You would pick up a 2nd good save (reflex), a d6 hit die, massive skill points, a better BAB progression, and all the good defensive capabilities that would help you solo a little better. If you are not going to limit yourself to core for your second class, take a look at factotum from Dungeonscape. Just glancing over the Dollmaker class, classes that are Int. based are going to become your friend. For gestalt, you want things that will synergize well. That way you don't end up spreading your ability scores too thin.:smallsmile:

Trodon
2010-04-03, 06:23 PM
If you're wanting to stick to a core class, you may want to think about Rogue. You would pick up a 2nd good save (reflex), a d6 hit die, massive skill points, a better BAB progression, and all the good defensive capabilities that would help you solo a little better. If you are not going to limit yourself to core for your second class, take a look at factotum from Dungeonscape. Just glancing over the Dollmaker class, classes that are Int. based are going to become your friend. For gestalt, you want things that will synergize well. That way you don't end up spreading your ability scores too thin.:smallsmile:

I was thinking about rogue, I think I will, that or a cleric for AoE buffs. Still not sure.

Edit: Factotum for pure awesomeness.

Paulus
2010-04-03, 06:29 PM
Sorry, homebrew setting, 3.5, not sure how long I have, we have almost everything covered, I'm just looking for something to take that won't interfere with the dollmaker. I think that's all

Heh let me clarify,

By Setting I meant, medieval magic everywhere, steam punk machine technology everywhere, mix of the two, or something totally different. I mean if you are going to be in the jungle of some ancient ruins vs. a super high tech advanced city, it kinda influences what could help you more. Time as in time period, also goes with setting, more to the point seeing as how it is home brewed, what era and what not.

Lastly, What do you want to play? I looked over doll maker, and it seems a very control oriented class, much like a necromancer with an undead army. I'd still go item centric character to support your creations and party with items/alchemy, or perhaps a class that can offer healing support. Or you could go with a class that gives you some defensive capabilities like illusion school to stay out of sight and leave the focus on your puppets. That sort of thing.

Trodon
2010-04-03, 06:34 PM
Heh let me clarify,

By Setting I meant, medieval magic everywhere, steam punk machine technology everywhere, mix of the two, or something totally different. I mean if you are going to be in the jungle of some ancient ruins vs. a super high tech advanced city, it kinda influences what could help you more. Time as in time period, also goes with setting, more to the point seeing as how it is home brewed, what era and what not.

Lastly, What do you want to play? I looked over doll maker, and it seems a very control oriented class, much like a necromancer with an undead army. I'd still go item centric character to support your creations and party with items/alchemy, or perhaps a class that can offer healing support. Or you could go with a class that gives you some defensive capabilities like illusion school to stay out of sight and leave the focus on your puppets. That sort of thing.

I have no idea about the setting, I'm thinking factotum.

Soranar
2010-04-03, 06:46 PM
Well a Dollmaker seems like a pretty decent class by itself : your dolls fight for you, you don't need any combat oriented ability yourself and casting spells would make you unable to use your dolls since you need to spend actions to use them.

You could gain some things though.

a funny class would be knight

you'd gain d12 hp, high Fort saves and knight's challenge /shield other to protect your dolls while they smash people to bits