PDA

View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 90: Scrag & Pike Virilankl vs. Castiel 2.0 & SPARTA Cuss

ArenaManager
2010-04-03, 10:06 PM
Arena Tournament, Round 90: Scrag, the Howling Fury & Pike Virilankl vs. Castiel 2.0 & SPARTA Cuss

Map:
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/ArenaManager/Arenas/04-sambusei.png

XP Award: 300 XP to each non-DQd member of winning team
GP Award: 300 GP to each non-DQd member of winning team

Skrag, the Howling Fury (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=189386) - Darwin
Pike Virilankl (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=8043) - leonninlord
Castiel 2.0 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=183784) - Sanity702
SPARTA Cuss (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=191142) - TheFallenOne

All Combatants, please roll initiative and declare any final purchases

Prior to the match start you may privately plan by spoiler or PM with your partner, but after the start any communications will need to be done in character inside the arena as rules allow.

TheFallenOne
2010-04-03, 11:45 PM
This! Is! Spartas! Initiative! [roll0] <--- this is also where I noticed that I forgot to save the attribute adjustments I thought I did 2 weeks ago :smallannoyed:

Good luck everyone

Um, what are the rules for quicksand?

Castiel

Well, chance has it our Arrow Deflection team has to fight the only true meleers. But we'll manage.
You should maybe think about buying leather armor and later masterwork studded leather. It improves your bad AC and only monk classfeature you lose is flurry of blows, 2/3 AC for that is a good trade if you ask me.

More detailed strategy suggestions later. Since they'll have to come to us(though the do have a chance with ranged attacks if they hit you twice in one round), we should harass them with harpoons and javelins(we can repeat that previous trick reversed and I drop you a backpack with some javelins). Once they get close, you can ready an action to start a grapple with anyone coming to melee range while my harpoons force them to attack us in melee. If I manage to slow one of them with a harpoon, ignore them, with halved movement and no charging they'd never see melee unless we let them. And removing the harpoon is no good option, 2x 1d10+4 is a lot for 1st level characters. Though the Barbarian will only go down after 24 damage with his rageclaws.
Read up on the Swordsages maneuvers, if you don't have ToB avaiable, I'll explain what the maneuvers do.

I expect you'll go Dragonborn once you have money? See no other explanation for dex 15

Wizibirb
2010-04-04, 12:08 AM
[roll0] Init.

Spartacus:

Yea I have 10 gp I guess I can spring for leather armor, I wanted to wait a little longer to get spiked armor thats why I had not bought anything yet. I am not planning on staying in monk for very long, next level I will be heading into barbarian for hp and bab. I just needed the deflect arrows, and getting that level one with monk plus 1d6 instead of 1d3 is worth it for one level of monk.

I am not sure about dragonborn to be totally honest, I have 15 dex for ac >.>
Dragonborn might be worth doing.... Not sure yet. I know that my character seems flawed but he can be nasty once hes got someone in a deadly cuddle.

Also the barbarian will not be a problem. All I have to do is make one melee touch attack and succeed with my opposed grapple check and he will go down. (1d6+6 non-lethal is nasty....Very nasty.)

I think our strategy should be, you drop a bag of javelins and we focus on the Swordsage and then let me beat up on the barbarian, as if I pull one hit off on him its over for him.

and I do not have the book that Swordsages are in.

The reason I think I can take on the barbarian is that I have a +6 lead on his grapple check.

TheFallenOne
2010-04-04, 12:30 AM
Castiel

Well, 15 dex has no advantage over 14 and for the 2 point buy invested you could have raised another attribute by 2, so I assumed the intention was to not lose Deflect Arrows because of -2 dex Dragonborn.

Alright, little lesson on Swordsages
He has five maneuvers readied and can't ready the same one multiple times, retrieving one is a full round action, so using any more than once costs him a round

Burning Blade - Swift, melee attacks deal +1d6+1 fire for one round
Blistering Flourish - Strike(those maneuvers use a standard action with a melee attack), 30 ft radius burst centered on him, will DC 11 or dazzled. Not that bad
Countercharge - Immediate, can ruin charge with opposed strength or dex check(his choice). Lesson: Don't charge, not worth the risk and they'll have to come to us anyway
Shadow Blade Technique - nasty one. Strike as well, he throws two d20 and can then choose which one to use for the attack roll. If he takes the lower, he deals extra cold damage with the higher. With your low AC that means if he rolls, say, a 16 and a 10 the 10 is enough to hit you and you take 16 cold damage on top. Lesson: Don't let him use a standard action on you, grapple him before that
Saphire Nightmare Blade - Strike. He makes a concentration check, if it beats your AC, you are flatfooted for the attack that's part of the maneuver and it deals +1d6
Wind Stride - Swift, +10 ft movement speed for one round

He also has one Stance, activated as swift, active as long as he likes
Child of Shadows gives him concealment if he moves 10+ feet. Nasty as well

The barbarian has various debuffs that make us shaken. Luckily, that's the only condition all three of his feats cause, so no stacking there.

We should avoid them getting a clear line for a charge. In any way, once they are close enough to get into melee you should always ready a standard action to grapple an enemy who comes into 10 feet(you can make a 5 foot step as part of a readied action). So if we stay adjacent to each other, they can't get into melee without triggering your readied action. Sounds good?

Wizibirb
2010-04-04, 01:02 AM
Spartacus:

youch.... That seems nasty and once again I am not worried about the barbarian at all... I know that sounds cocky, but the only reason I lost my endurance round vs a barb is because he raged and got +4 strength, it was that, that beat my grapple check.

I forgot about the -2 to dex when you go to dragonborn, If I put in 15 then it was indeed for dragonborn.

Should I go ahead and buy the leather armor ((Stupid Monk only starting with 20 gp *grumble grumble*))? I just realized armor spikes count as a martial weapon I don't want to take a -4 penalty to my grapple so I have to wait for level 2 to get that....

So the final question I have then is, do you actually want to even drop the javs for me, or every round do I move next to you then end with a readied action,

speaking of which, check to make sure this is right,

Ready an action

Initiate a grapple
Trigger:
If any opponent ends within 10 ft of Castiel
If any opponent attacks Castiel

Would that be the right way to do it?

TheFallenOne
2010-04-04, 01:15 AM
Castiel

Go for the armor I'd say. +2 AC can be important here and you lose just 5 gp when you sell it later.

Readied action looks good, maybe specify "attacks Castiel in melee", otherwise one could argue a ranged attack triggers it, wasting your readied action
Also, it shouldn't be "ends movement", but "moves within 10 ft".

I give you the javelins just in case so you can do something besides readying if they stall for some reason. More options never hurt and 8 javelins+backpack is just 10 gp

Yeah, staying adjacent should be the way to go, if they indeed try ranged attacks to get you with two hits in one round you should position yourself so that I give you cover. Ranged attacks on Sparta are pointless, counting on beating his AC twice in one round is insane.
We most likely have initiative. If one of them ends up with ini between ours you should delay so we act consecutively and can stay together. Who of us should act before the other, Castiel or Sparta?

You should also think about the option of scattering the planks round 2, buys us time

About the barbarian, his debuffs affect your grapple modifier too, so if you're shaken and he rages your advantage is just 2. Nothing to rely upon, you saw against Scorer how easy it is to blow an opposed check with way bigger advantage

Wizibirb
2010-04-04, 01:39 AM
Spartacus:

I have better movement I can try to reach the top of the stairs and scatter the planks then, next round delay myself so that I act after you, thus always ending with you as cover.

After I scatter the planks, I can start chucking Javs as well since they will have to, fix those. Yea I will go ahead and announce that now I am buying the leather armor. well if you think of anything else let me know. We could always try the spoilers of death strategy :smalltongue:

Purchasing Leather armor 10 gp

TheFallenOne
2010-04-04, 03:53 AM
Castiel
Hey now, should we really repeat that, that strategy didn't work out well for you last time :smalltongue:

Just looked again at the Swordsage class, he can only ready 4 of thr 6 maneuvers I described. I'm pretty sure he'll take all three strikes, not take Countercharge, leaves either Burning Blade or Windstride.

Keep in mind that the Desert Fire feat gives him +d6 damage on Desert Wind strikes. Fortunately, the only one he has is Blistering Flourish.

It will take you a move action to pick up the backpack and since you have no BAB a move action as well to draw a javelin. So, if you move and draw a javelin you can't ready an action. Keep that in mind and better pass on the javelins once they're in melee range.

I plan on holding a harpoon in my mouth to have one in reserve. That means I can't talk to you once the match starts, just so you know. If I have something really important to say I could just drop it of course ;)

You move 8 squares, the planks are 13 away from Y13. If they roll lower initiative than me, you should delay. I drop you the backpack, you pick it up and move up the stairs round 1. Round 1, move to the planks with one move action, scatter them with the other.
If they get higher initiative than me we'll have to rethink, otherwise the swordsage might just storm right over it with Wind Stride before you scatter the planks.
He could actually do so Round 1, with Wind Stride he could get as far as S13 with a double move. But that would isolate him from the barbarian and leave him wide open for attack, so I'm pretty sure this won't happen

Sparta purchases
10 javelins - 10 GP
backpack(2 gp) filled with 8 javelins - 10 GP
Another harpoon - 15 GP

done except reactionary etc pp

edit:

Um, what are the rules for quicksand?

Nevermind, found it. DMG page 88 if anybody else needs to know

Darwin
2010-04-04, 05:56 AM
Skrag rolling initiative: [roll0]

Pike

Any tactical suggestions? This is my first battle and I haven't really got any strategies yet. Skrag's main thing is fear effects. With a little luck I can bring one of our opponents to panicked while you beat the other one to a pulp :smallwink:

TheFallenOne
2010-04-06, 07:09 AM
hm, your buddy is taking his time. Better send him a PM Darwin, would be a shame to start this game with a DQ

Wizibirb
2010-04-06, 09:45 PM
I hate to be a jerk, but how long do we have to wait for a dq?

hustlertwo
2010-04-06, 09:47 PM
Pike leaves his teammate in the lurch through DQ; enjoy the 2 on 1!

TheFallenOne
2010-04-07, 12:07 AM
A lot of DQs lately :smallannoyed: Pity, the Swordsage looked interesting

Well then, I finish of my purchases with a Psionic Tattoo of Vigor(50 GP) and am good to go. Darwin, finish your purchases and we can get this lopsided match started

Darwin
2010-04-07, 01:56 AM
All Skrag's purchases has been done. Can't believe I'm on my own in my first match :smalleek:

TheFallenOne
2010-04-07, 02:04 AM
yeah, sorry about that

alright we are good to go then

Castiel

I suggest you delay now to act after me, I drop the backpack in your square and double move up. You can then pick up the backpack, single move up, and round 2 scatter the planks, I'll ready an action to throw my first harpoon when he leaves cover

Wizibirb
2010-04-07, 03:18 PM
I shall pray for your imortal soul.

Round 1 Castiel 2.0
start in X-13
delyay action till after spartacuss

TheFallenOne
2010-04-07, 03:24 PM
you meant Y13 I assume

SPARTA Cuss, Turn 1

Ref/LoS

Start in Y14, harpoon in mouth, shield equiped left hand, in right hand backpack with javelins
Free: drop backpack to Y13
Double move to R14
Free as part of move: draw another harpoon

Stats

Hp: 12/12
AC: Full 22, Flat-Footed 11, Touch 21(+1 Dex, +8 Armor, +3 Shield)

done

Wizibirb
2010-04-07, 03:59 PM
Yes I did and we do not have LoS here do we huh...

refs/LoS

start with fist equipped!
as part of move pick up backpack
Move to t-13

End turn.

Stats:

Hp: 9/9
Ac: 14 touch: 12 Flat footed: 12

Sallera
2010-04-07, 04:25 PM
Castiel:You can't pick up items as part of movement, only draw them.

Wizibirb
2010-04-07, 04:34 PM
@ ref

Ok, that means I can only pick up the item correct, would I also be able to take a 5 ft step as well then. If so
pick up the backpack and put it on,
then take a 5 ft step to x-13

Darwin
2010-04-07, 04:42 PM
Skrag, Round 1

Refs/LoS
Starts in B13
Draws Greatsword while taking double move to J14

Stats:
Hp: 14/14
AC: 15, 13,12 (+3 Studded Leather Armor)

Rage Claws soulmeld active

End turn.

Sallera
2010-04-07, 05:42 PM
SPARTA:You see Scrag in F14, wielding greatsword. Castiel is in X13.

Castiel:SPARTA is in R14.

Scrag:When you reach F14, you see SPARTA in R14 holding shield and harpoon, with another harpoon in his mouth. You may revise your turn from this point.

Rewind to Scrag's turn.

Darwin
2010-04-07, 05:55 PM
Skrag, Round 1 (rewinded)

Skrag reaches F14 and enters a defensive stance.

Refs/LoS
Starts in B13
Draws Greatsword while taking single move action to F14 where he sees Sparta Cuss. Enters defensive fighting as a Standard Action for a -4 on all attacks made that round and a +2 Dodge Bonus to AC

Stats:
AC: 17, 13, 14 (+3 Studded Leather Armor, +2 Dodge Defensive Fighting)

End turn.

TheFallenOne
2010-04-08, 01:59 AM
SPARTA Cuss, Turn 2

Ref/LoS

Free: Drop harpoon from mouth
Free: Yell Whats the holdup, you could have picked it up as a move and then take another move, now he might make it above the planks if he dares. He's in F14 right now
Free: Shift other harpoon to mouth
Move: Go to R18
Free as part of move: Draw the next harpoon
Swift: Activate Law Devotion
Ready Action:
Toss harpoon at Skrag
Trigger:
I gain LoE without cover
He tries to leave LoE
He ends his turn within LoE

Relocate Law Devotion to attack

Stats

Hp: 11/11

done

Wizibirb
2010-04-08, 04:35 PM
Castiel 2.0

refs/los

Yell: "If I had a bab of 1 I could of!"
Move to s-14
ready an action

attempt to grapple scrag
Trigger -
if he comes within 10' of Castiel
if he ends his turn within 10' of castiel
if he attempts to attack Castiel with a melee attack.

Wizibirb
2010-04-08, 04:36 PM
Castiel 2.0

refs/los

Yell: "If I had a bab of 1 I could of!"
Move to s-14
ready an action

attempt to grapple scrag
Trigger -
if he comes within 10' of Castiel
if he ends his turn within 10' of castiel
if he attempts to attack Castiel with a melee attack.

stats

end turn

Sallera
2010-04-08, 04:39 PM
Castiel:How are you making it that far in a single action? It's 45ft away.

Darwin
2010-04-08, 04:53 PM
Skrag, Round 2

Refs/LoS
Skrag takes a double move to O23

Stats:

End turn.

Wizibirb
2010-04-08, 04:53 PM
Refs:

Sorry that was a misuse of my line judgment, I really need to start using a strait edge, I meant to say t-14.

also quick question I can take a 5-ft step when I ready an action correct?

Sallera
2010-04-08, 05:04 PM
LoS is established on Castiel's turn. Castiel is in T14, Scrag in F14, and SPARTA in R18. Rewind to Scrag's turn.

Castiel:Yes, as long as you haven't otherwise moved during that round. So you can't 5ft step with your current readied action, but if you didn't move next turn and readied another, it would be possible.

Wizibirb
2010-04-08, 05:08 PM
refs -

Thanks just checking, also it was Scrags turn so how do we rewind to his turn?

Darwin
2010-04-08, 05:10 PM
Skrag, Round 2 (rewinded)

Refs/LoS
Skrag takes a double move to N23

Stats:

End turn.

TheFallenOne
2010-04-09, 01:23 AM
You trigger my readied action when you enter H14

Harpooneering Skrag
Attack: [roll0] -2 range included
Damage: [roll1]

If hit make a Reflex save DC 10+damage dealt or
Harpoon lodges in target. Speed halved, no running or charging allowed. Harpoon can be removed with a full-round action requiring two free hands and deals the same amount of damage again unless a DC 15 heal check is made

New initiave order because of readied action:

Castiel 2.0
SPARTA Cuss
Skrag the Howling Fury

Wizibirb
2010-04-09, 01:56 AM
I believe it is now my turn correct?

TheFallenOne
2010-04-09, 02:02 AM
I think he may be allowed to revise his second move action that happens after my readied, but I'm not sure

Sallera
2010-04-09, 02:04 AM
Yes, Scrag can revise the rest of his movement if he so wishes.

Wizibirb
2010-04-09, 02:11 AM
well spoilers are no longer needed due to LoS being established so

move to R-18

Ready an action -

Action attempt to grapple Scrag
Triggers-
Scrag moves within 5 ft of Castiel
Scrag makes a melee attack against Castiel
Scrag attempts to charge at/or past Castiel

End turn.

Will finish turn when scrag posts

TheFallenOne
2010-04-09, 02:54 AM
seems you got ninjad by Sallera, Darwin is still on

Darwin
2010-04-09, 04:29 AM
No changes made after the misfired harpoon. Carry on :smallsmile:

TheFallenOne
2010-04-09, 04:47 AM
I just thought I could go ahead with my next turn because Castiel now has no reaso to change his action either, but then I saw he tried to go to R18, which is already occupied by me. Choose a different square please

Wizibirb
2010-04-09, 02:32 PM
move to R-19

Ready an action -

Triggers-

End turn.

changes made

TheFallenOne
2010-04-09, 09:51 PM
SPARTA Cuss, Turn 3

Free: Switch harpoon from mouth to hand
Law Devotion to Attack
Standard: throw harpoon at Skrag
Attack: [roll0] exactly 12 squares :smallannoyed: so -4 range

not done

TheFallenOne
2010-04-09, 09:56 PM
Free: Whisper to Castiel
Well no luck so far. He'll be here soon, let's see if he goes into your grapple range. If he switches to single move and readied action better don't engage him, time's on our side. I'll stay close to you so I can use my melee slam once you grapple him, ranged attacks into a grapple are risky
If you're in grapple range during your turn better delay so I can get a final shot at him beforehand, maybe my bad luck ends finally
Move to R17
Free as part of move: draw next harpoon
Law Devotion to AC

Stats

Law Devotion: 9/10

done

Darwin
2010-04-10, 03:49 AM
Skrag, Round 3

Standard: Activate Daunting Presence on Sparta (Will save DC 13 or become shaken 10 minutes).
Move: Single move action to H20.

Stats:

End turn.

TheFallenOne
2010-04-10, 05:13 AM
what do you mean rewinded? You declined a rewind after my harpoon, this is your regular turn 3

Darwin
2010-04-10, 05:42 AM
what do you mean rewinded? You declined a rewind after my harpoon, this is your regular turn 3

Yeah sorry, I copied my formatting from the last post and forgot to edit that out. It's been fixed :smallsmile:

TheFallenOne
2010-04-10, 06:34 AM
ah, OK

Your Daunting Presence fails, at the time of using it I'm 40 feet away and it has a range of 30

Darwin
2010-04-10, 06:52 AM
ah, OK

Your Daunting Presence fails, at the time of using it I'm 40 feet away and it has a range of 30

*sigh* Why oh why did I have to botch that up? :smallfrown:

Wizibirb
2010-04-11, 01:30 AM
Castiel round 4

Free whisper -

Sounds like a plan, this turn I will get a javelin Ready as a feint I am hopping that he will think I switched to long range and forget about grappling, as such I will ready my action for grappling again. So next turn I will be slowly moving towards him (single move all the way) Also it sucks not being able to move and draw a weapon at the same time..... :smallfrown:

Also do not forget I can always try to forgo grappling and just enter melee combat with him seeing as how I do 1d6+6 non-lethal... Just another option

on another unrelated note, when you do that can you still move your full move or is it cut in half or something.

Move action -
Draw a javalin from backpack.

Standered action -
Ready an action -

Triggers-

Stats:

End turn

TheFallenOne
2010-04-11, 04:51 AM
hm, I think I don't automatically hear Castiels whisper because I'm not adjacent to him anymore. If so, I can't beat DC 25 to make out the words.

SPARTA Cuss, Turn 4

Law Devotion to Attack
Standard: once more with feeling
Attack: [roll0] 11 squares so -2 range

not done

TheFallenOne
2010-04-11, 04:54 AM
I'll be running out of harpoons if I keep getting these rolls...

Move to R18
Free as part of move: draw next harpoon
Free: Whisper to Castiel
Sorry buddy, could you repeat that? For some reason he's gone on distance, no idea what he's planning. Maybe break LoS and lure as after him?
Law Devotion to AC

Stats

Law Devotion: 8/10

done

Darwin
2010-04-11, 05:10 AM
Castiel's backpack doesn't make any mention of javelins, which backpack are you drawing those from? :smallconfused:

Skrag, Round 4

Move action: Single move to H18
Standard action: Total defense. (+4 dodge AC)

Stats:
AC: 19, 13, 16 (+3 Studded Leather Armor, +4 Dodge)

End turn.

TheFallenOne
2010-04-11, 05:15 AM
In the purchases phase, I bought a backpack full with javelins and dropped it Round 1 in his square so he could pick it up. That's why he delayed. Monks just lack starting wealth so he couldn't afford them on his own

Your standard action is somehow... lacking

Darwin
2010-04-11, 06:15 AM
In the purchases phase, I bought a backpack full with javelins and dropped it Round 1 in his square so he could pick it up. That's why he delayed. Monks just lack starting wealth so he couldn't afford them on his own

Your standard action is somehow... lacking

ah alright, just had me confused there for a sec ^^;

standard action has been fixed as well :smallsmile:

Wizibirb
2010-04-11, 01:54 PM
Free whisper -

Sounds like a plan, this turn I will get a javelin Ready as a feint I am hopping that he will think I switched to long range and forget about grappling, as such I will ready my action for grappling again. So next turn I will be slowly moving towards him (single move all the way) Also it sucks not being able to move and draw a weapon at the same time..... :smallfrown:

Also do not forget I can always try to forgo grappling and just enter melee combat with him seeing as how I do 1d6+6 non-lethal... Just another option

on another unrelated note, when you do that can you still move your full move or is it cut in half or something.

Wizibirb
2010-04-11, 09:04 PM
Castiel 2.0

Move to N-23
Ready an action

Triggers-

End turn

Stats

TheFallenOne
2010-04-12, 01:12 AM
SPARTA Cuss, Turn 5

Free: nod
Free: switch harpoon to mouth
Move: draw yet another harpoon
Standard: Ready action
harpoon at Skrag
Trigger: He begins his turn
If this is no legal trigger: he moves, 5 foot steps, drops prone, draws an item, uses an item, drops an item, speaks, uses daunting presence, readies an action, enters total defense, attacks, jumps, climbs

Law Devotion to attack

Stats

Law Devotion: 7/10

done

Darwin
2010-04-12, 02:39 AM
Skrag, Round 5

Move action: Single move to H15.
Standard action: Total defense. (+4 dodge AC)

Stats:
AC: 19, 13, 16 (+3 Studded Leather Armor, +4 Dodge)

End turn.

TheFallenOne
2010-04-12, 02:44 AM
my readied action triggers when you try to move

Harpoon once again
Attack [roll0] -2 range
damage [roll1]

your Total Defense isn't active at this moment

If hit make a Reflex save DC 10+damage dealt or
Harpoon lodges in target. Speed halved, no running or charging allowed. Harpoon can be removed with a full-round action requiring two free hands and deals the same amount of damage again unless a DC 15 heal check is made

You may revise your turn from this point

Darwin
2010-04-12, 02:55 AM
Skrag, Round 5 (rewinded)

Move action: Single move to H15.

Triggered Sparta's Readied Action
Reflex Save: [roll0]

Standard Action: Ready Action
Ready action to active Daunting Presence on the first enemy to come within 30 ft. of Skrag

Stats:
Hp: 7/14
AC: 15, 13, 12 (+3 Studded Leather Armor)

End turn.

TheFallenOne
2010-04-12, 02:57 AM
ah, finally :smallbiggrin: well, rolled low on the damage, but I'll not complain for now

Darwin
2010-04-12, 05:34 AM
ah, finally :smallbiggrin: well, rolled low on the damage, but I'll not complain for now

I'm fairly surprised myself that Skrag hasn't gone down yet :smallbiggrin: This is really a desperate struggle to stay alive until you guys are forced into melee combat with me. I can't risk triggering a readied action from Castiel that gets me grappled. Truth to be told I'm not even sure yet how I'm going to damage the guy once I take Sparta out of the picture (please notice the overconfident use of "once" over "if" :smalltongue:)

TheFallenOne
2010-04-12, 05:41 AM
so, you're actually counting on me running out of harpoons and javelins before you go down?

And I'm surprised you're more confident about damaging me than Castiel. You've seen my AC, right?

Darwin
2010-04-12, 05:47 AM
so, you're actually counting on me running out of harpoons and javelins before you go down?

And I'm surprised you're more confident about damaging me than Castiel. You've seen my AC, right?

Once you run out of harpoons it'll all just be a matter of outrunning you. Skrag is faster than Sparta as long as he doesn't have harpoons sticking out of his gut. Skrag'll make Sparta frightened (hopefully) and murder him as he runs away. Sadly I don't have the capacity to handle both of you with fear effects, that's why I really needed my partner for this. It was a very, very unfair battle to begin with :smalltongue: I don't expect to win this, but I'm certainly not giving up without a fight.

TheFallenOne
2010-04-12, 06:41 AM
That's the spirit :smallsmile:
How are you supposed to make us frightened? All your feats only cause shaken

Oh, since your teammate still hasn't shown up you might want to ask in the Waiting Room if you can get a substitution for the following matches. I think this is possible

Darwin
2010-04-12, 06:55 AM
That's the spirit :smallsmile:
How are you supposed to make us frightened? All your feats only cause shaken

Oh, since your teammate still hasn't shown up you might want to ask in the Waiting Room if you can get a substitution for the following matches. I think this is possible

Shaken stacks with itself to become Frightened and Panicked. The catch is that I have to use Daunting Presence first since it specifically states it doesn't have any effect on a creature that is already shaken, it should work the other way around though, so a creature shaken by Daunting Presence who becomes shaken by fx. Dreadful Wrath should become Frightened.

As for substitutions. I thought that if I lost I would be out of the Round for good? :smallconfused:

TheFallenOne
2010-04-12, 07:24 AM
No, the two losing teams still face of against each other. Winner of that match will then fight against the loser of the winners fight

Also, could you give me a source on the shaken stacking?

Darwin
2010-04-12, 07:35 AM
Also, could you give me a source on the shaken stacking?

Sure can :smallbiggrin: DMG page 294 under "fear effects":

Becoming Even More Fearful: Fear effects are cumulative. A shaken character who is made shaken again becomes frightened, and a shaken character who is made frightened becomes panicked instead. A frightened character who is made shaken or frightened becomes panicked instead.

hustlertwo
2010-04-12, 11:32 AM
The substitution thing has not been established one way or the other. I had advanced the idea to help out a similarly stranded fellow in a level 2 tag team match, but there was never an answer. I'd suggest asking again.

TheFallenOne
2010-04-12, 12:20 PM
Sure can :smallbiggrin: DMG page 294 under "fear effects":

Becoming Even More Fearful: Fear effects are cumulative. A shaken character who is made shaken again becomes frightened, and a shaken character who is made frightened becomes panicked instead. A frightened character who is made shaken or frightened becomes panicked instead.

ah, see, I remembered there was a rule like that(plus, otherwise your feat selection would make little sense), I just couldn't find it in the SRD

Wizibirb
2010-04-12, 12:35 PM
Free whisper

well he now has half movement.... Do you want me to go to him and start attacking him because I believe if I role a 1 I knock him out though he still has his 'fear' thing so do you think it might be best to just stick to range?

TheFallenOne
2010-04-12, 12:39 PM
again, I fail to hear you. You're way to far away after your last move

Wizibirb
2010-04-12, 12:55 PM
I keep forgetting about that.... I really need to pay more attention. :smallredface:
anyways

free action speak:

Should I just go for him, and try to finish it with some non-lethal, since he only has half speed or do we still play it safe?

TheFallenOne
2010-04-12, 01:00 PM
even when shouting, you still need to spoiler it because we have to roll Listen checks to hear it

Also, it seems you're not aware that I can't answer you when it's not my turn. We handled it a bit more freely in the exhibition, that may be the source of the confusion

So either delay or go ahead with what you think is best. Saying anything more would be overstepping the rules boundaries

Wizibirb
2010-04-12, 01:02 PM
even when shouting, you still need to spoiler it because we have to roll Listen checks to hear it

Also, it seems you're not aware that I can't answer you when it's not my turn. We handled it a bit more freely in the exhibition, that may be the source of the confusion

So either delay or go ahead with what you think is best. Saying anything more would be overstepping the rules boundaries

huh, I did not realize either of those two facts, I apologize for being a horrible partner...
and Castiel delays to act till after Spartacuss

Sallera
2010-04-12, 01:06 PM
You can, actually, speak when it is not your turn.

TheFallenOne
2010-04-12, 01:11 PM
huh, for real? Didn't realize that because talking is a free action, not a nonaction

Well, in any way you'd here a mumble from Sparta(harpoon in mouth prevents speech), no matter if he hears what you say or not

Sallera
2010-04-12, 01:15 PM
It's in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#speak). "In general, speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn’t your turn. Speaking more than few sentences is generally beyond the limit of a free action."

Wizibirb
2010-04-12, 01:22 PM
Ha! I knew you could speak whenever! (still didn't know about the spoilers though!) >.> anyways just in case anyone did not notice or forgot

Delay to act till after spartacusss

TheFallenOne
2010-04-12, 01:27 PM
Well, I stand corrected. Wonder why they don't just call it a nonaction then

huh, I did not realize either of those two facts, I apologize for being a horrible partner...
and Castiel delays to act till after Spartacuss

Learning by doing, buddy. If anybody should complain about a bad partner it should be Darwin

Hm, now this is a tough call, on the one hand I would have done the following anyway, on the other it may seem questionable because it's an answer to your unspoilered speech. I just hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries here

SPARTA Cuss, Turn 6

Law Devotion to attack
Standard: You know the drill
Attack [roll0] -2 range
Damage [roll1]
Hm, would multiple harpoons stack with the halved movement? :smallconfused:
Move: draw a... harpoon
Free: violently shake head, point at Skrag and repeat the motion with which he just sent the harpoon his way multiple times
Law Devotion to AC

Stats

Law Devotion: 6/10

done

Wizibirb
2010-04-12, 01:40 PM
Castiel

Standered: Chuck javelin!
[roll0] (I think it is a -2 penalty for range am not sure if someone would correct me if I am wrong would appreciate it)
[roll1] if you add strength mod to thrown weapons.
Move: Draw another one!

End turn:

stats

Darwin
2010-04-12, 02:10 PM
Skrag, Round 6

Skrag moves away and down the stairs.

Refs/LoS
Move Action: Single move to E14

Standard Action: Ready Action
Ready action to active Daunting Presence on the first enemy to come within 30 ft. of Skrag

Stats:
Hp: 7/14

End turn.

Wizibirb
2010-04-12, 02:18 PM
Refs:

2 things -
1) what is the dc to hear something spoken?
2) what would be the skill required to avoid taking damage if I jumped down?

Speak allowed -

You know their is more than one way down this platform, I can always jump and we could try flanking him one from top one from bottom.

TheFallenOne
2010-04-12, 02:30 PM
Reactive Listen
[roll0] DC to make out words: 10 +3 distance

TheFallenOne
2010-04-12, 02:34 PM
Single Move to Q13

not done, need LoS

Wizibirb
2010-04-12, 02:37 PM
@ Fallen
you should spoil your action as you do not have LoS

TheFallenOne
2010-04-13, 04:33 AM
ah, got a little careless there, but doesn't matter. It's not like he could run walk far with the harpoon effect

Sallera
2010-04-13, 04:12 PM
Refs:Blank.

Scrag:No LoS.

Castiel:SPARTA is in Q13.

SPARTA:Castiel is in N23.

TheFallenOne
2010-04-14, 12:52 AM
Ref/LoS
continue moving to K13

done

Darwin
2010-04-14, 04:37 AM
Do we need another LoS check before I take my turn? :smallconfused:

TheFallenOne
2010-04-14, 05:28 AM
yeah, I'm pretty sure I should get LoS on you somewhere along my turn

Wizibirb
2010-04-14, 10:51 AM
Not quite yet its still my turn

Castiel

Move to h-20

Not done need LoS

Sallera
2010-04-14, 02:49 PM
Refs:Blank.

Scrag:You see Castiel enter H22.

Castiel:SPARTA is in K13. When you reach H22, you see Scrag in E14. You may revise your turn from this point.

SPARTA:Castiel is in H22.

Wizibirb
2010-04-14, 03:04 PM
Yell -

He is on the left side of the stairs halfway down!

Finish move action to h-20

Throw Javelin -
[roll0] ((my ranged bonus -2 = 0 +1 from attacking above)

End turn

Stats -

Wizibirb
2010-04-14, 03:05 PM
Oi forgot the damage
[roll0]

((do you add your str damage to thrown weapons? If so +6)) <--- scratch that I looked it up and you do :smallredface:

Wizibirb
2010-04-14, 03:06 PM
Darn it.... Sorry forgot about the whole if you fail to post you have to redo the roll otherwise it doesn't turn out.

[roll0] + 6 = 9 damage

If hit

Darwin
2010-04-14, 03:25 PM
Does the cliff only reach 20 ft. to match the height of the dirt level, or does it match the height of the squares it lies against? And in the case it's always 20 ft. shouldn't it provide me with cover since I'm at ground level right now? :smallconfused:

Darwin
2010-04-14, 03:29 PM
Skrag, Round 7

Refs/LoS
Free Action: 5 ft. step to D14.

Full Round: Remove Harpoon
Heal check to avoid further damage. [roll0]

Stats:
Hp: -2/14

End turn.

Darwin
2010-04-14, 03:30 PM
Skrag, round 7

Skrag falls over in the dust, dead. Thanks for the run guys, can't believe I lasted 7 rounds :smallamused:

EDIT: Miscalculated hp. Rather than falling over I'll just concede. There's no way I'll get any of you two down with me. :smalleek:

Wizibirb
2010-04-14, 03:50 PM
Sorry Scrag :smallfrown: at least you get to keep your pants. (my other grappling character ka-ugh collects pants from his fallen enemies :smallbiggrin:)

well good game. Looks like I get to buy decent armor now! and maybe a bow!!!!! Ahhh who am I kidding javelins are probably better!

Edit - Note to self never piss spartacuss off! those Harpoons hurt!

Sallera
2010-04-14, 03:50 PM
Cliffs just go up to the height of the squares they reach.

Castiel and SPARTA win by virtue of numerous flying sharp pointy things.

Darwin
2010-04-14, 03:52 PM
You... You steal your enemy's pants? :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, it was a question of time, you guys had each other and a solid strategy to bring me down. All I had was myself and my inexperience. (this is my first Arena battle, didn't exactly go as I had hoped :smalleek:)

Congratulations to the both of you :smallsmile:

Wizibirb
2010-04-14, 03:56 PM
Yes, yes he does :smalltongue: (ka-ugh that is) ..... its partially cause he himself does not wear pants :smallamused:

well for your first time it was a good go and I like the character concept, it really is a shame your partner ditched you.

Darwin
2010-04-14, 04:00 PM
Yes, yes he does :smalltongue: (ka-ugh that is) ..... its partially cause he himself does not wear pants :smallamused:

well for your first time it was a good go and I like the character concept, it really is a shame your partner ditched you.

He steals pants because he's jealous of the people wearing them? :smalltongue:

Yeah well, I'll get my revenge the next time we meet :smallwink: It's a shame I didn't get to show off the fear effects.. Bringing someone to panicked in 2 rounds including a charge could have been quite a moment of glory :smallbiggrin:

Wizibirb
2010-04-14, 04:05 PM
Shhhh don't let his secret out!

and Yea thats one reason we decided to stay are distance and have me just ready actions until you were harpooned.

Darwin
2010-04-14, 04:12 PM
Shhhh don't let his secret out!

and Yea thats one reason we decided to stay are distance and have me just ready actions until you were harpooned.

I should probaly just have raged and charged you in desperate hope that I would get a better roll on my grapple check. But it didn't seem like I was in a hurry when I had the chance :smalltongue:

Wizibirb
2010-04-14, 04:18 PM
I believe (if I am doing the math right) that would of brought my grapple lead down to only a +3 which is very possible that you could of won.... (+4 str right? when raging)

Darwin
2010-04-14, 04:21 PM
Yep, that would bring me to 20 Str.

Wizibirb
2010-04-14, 04:28 PM
ah in which case my advantage would of been +4 and not +3

+10 grapple mod for the win! Well I hope to see you in the finals it would be the rematch of the century! kinda... not really.... it would be interesting at least :smalltongue:

Darwin
2010-04-14, 04:30 PM
ah in which case my advantage would of been +4 and not +3

+10 grapple mod for the win! Well I hope to see you in the finals it would be the rematch of the century! kinda... not really.... it would be interesting at least :smalltongue:

Hopefully I'll get my wishes of a substitute through or else I seriously doubt I'll make it past my next fight. I've got a friend ready to take Pike's place, he's got a grappling build with a +13 modifier :smalltongue:

Wizibirb
2010-04-14, 11:54 PM
Hopefully I'll get my wishes of a substitute through or else I seriously doubt I'll make it past my next fight. I've got a friend ready to take Pike's place, he's got a grappling build with a +13 modifier :smalltongue:

Wait how does one get a grapple mod above 11?

TheFallenOne
2010-04-15, 01:54 AM
Ah, there are couple of ways. Easiest I can think of right now would be a Water Orc monk with Law Devotion, +6 Str, +4 improved grapple, +3 Law Devotion. And there are still two feats left to play with, I guess something like +17 should be easily possible. Maybe go psionic instead of monk to get Expansion(like enlarge person) or barbarian for the strength bonus and BAB. May be even possible to break +20 level one

So, are Castiel and Sparta Team Pantsless now? Of course, for Sparta it is justified with the whole lack of genitalia thing

Nice game Darwin. You held out long enough, though I think it would have been better to just charge in and hope for the best on the grappling roll. Waiting for our thrown weapons to run out couldn't go well, even with my bad to hit rolls.
Hope you get a substitution, just keep nagging in the waiting room :smallwink:

Wizibirb
2010-04-15, 11:20 AM
huh I hope you realize that I have to make another character....:smallannoyed:

Where can I find this law devotion thing it seems really good.

and no we can't go team pants-less thats ka-ughs thing.... we need something new hmmmm.... how about team......Flying pointy objects!!!!(I don' know let me think on that)

Darwin
2010-04-15, 11:24 AM
You can find Law Devotion in Complete Champion IIRC, and it is very, very good for a level 1 feat :smallwink:

EDIT: Just had a look at the two possible teams I might be up against, they don't look nearly as troublesome as you guys, I might just have a shot at winning my next fight :smallbiggrin:

TheFallenOne
2010-04-15, 01:23 PM
Now sanity, another grappler, your third one? :smalltongue: Though I might make a go at it, I'm contemplating an LA+1 race(Gray Orc) and grappling might be the right concept. I'll just have to go through a lot of books and see if I can indeed beat +20

Good luck to you Darwin. I'm actually rather confident about the next fight as well, all ranged types and, well, arrows aren't that good against us :smallbiggrin: That's actually why I proposed alliance to sanity, both characters having Arrow Deflection has great synergy and denies the enemies a target they'd have if only one char got the feat

Wizibirb
2010-04-15, 01:30 PM
haha I know >.>
Its just I thought I had it down to perfection but apparently I was wrong I would probably change Earths embrace for Law devotion Next level I plan to go barbarian and stay with that, (rage is a scary thing ;) )

If you plan to go with it though then by all means go with it I will think of something else.... Wish me luck!

TheFallenOne
2010-04-15, 01:36 PM
Hm looking through LA+1 races Goliath seems like the far superior choice for grapplers. Especially because I get something really good for my LA+1 with Powerful Build. I guess I'll have a grappler coming up then soon :smallbiggrin:

Switching Earths Embrace for Law Devotion would be a good call I think, the latter increases your chances to win the roll while the former requires you to do so to have any effect. And Law Devotion will boost your AC too(but it works only for 10 rounds)

Wizibirb
2010-04-15, 01:49 PM
I always thought about Goliath but giving up 1 class level in my opinion is just not worth it especially since you will have low health..... and if we make it to level two I will be waiting with my two grapplers their and maybe we could team up.

hmmmm I may think about retraining..... don't know ah well if you think of a cool idea let me know (need a 3rd character)

TheFallenOne
2010-04-15, 01:57 PM
well, just try something different I'd say. I have a sniper, a melee rusher and SPARTA, next up a grappler. Only thing I'm missing is a caster(though SPARTA will go cleric level 2)

I want LA+1 actually as a challenge. Low HP of course is a problem so I might try barbarian, though needing two feats for improved grapple is painful