PDA

View Full Version : Anklets of Translocation?

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-03, 10:13 PM
People keep saying how these items are so awesome because they allow you to teleport 10 ft, and how you can avoid uberchargers, spell effects, and so on.

However, it's a swift action, not immediate, meaning it doesn't seem to be able to do the stuff it's purported to do.

This makes me sad.

Are there greater anklets of translocation? Used as an immediate action, possibly? Maybe? Please?

Abd al-Azrad
2010-04-03, 10:53 PM
I really don't think the item exists that you seek. There are a few ways to teleport as an immediate action, or as a non-action, which I suspect you already know (the Conjuration alternate ability, contingent Dimension-doors or Benign Transpositions, etc.) but I've never found an item that allows for immediate short-range teleportation. And really, probably for the same reason you want to find one: it's like the perfect counterspell. It automatically and perfectly disrupts any attack by breaking line-of-effect during their action.

Toliudar
2010-04-03, 10:57 PM
For me, the great thing about the anklet is that it's a get-out-of-grapple free card, and one that's affordable at quite low levels.

tyckspoon
2010-04-03, 11:11 PM
You may be misremembering the reasoning for the Anklets as the reason why the Abrupt Jaunt ACF for Conjurers is so awesome; it is that Immediate action teleport. The Anklets just provide cheap teleportation and Swift-action tactical movement ability to people who don't cast spells, which is also a Good Thing.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-04-03, 11:22 PM
You may be misremembering the reasoning for the Anklets as the reason why the Abrupt Jaunt ACF for Conjurers is so awesome; it is that Immediate action teleport. The Anklets just provide cheap teleportation and Swift-action tactical movement ability to people who don't cast spells, which is also a Good Thing.

This may be the case, as I've only ever seen the anklets as a "get out of grapple free card" before. There may or may not be a way to get them to activate as an effectively immediate action, though, but that would require some odd interactions with action granting items/abilities.

licidy
2010-04-03, 11:40 PM
could one perhaps ready their swift action teleport, say, "when the ogre swings his club at me"?

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-03, 11:42 PM
could one perhaps ready their swift action teleport, say, "when the ogre swings his club at me"?'Fraid not. You can only ready standard actions (and by extension, move actions).

Keld Denar
2010-04-03, 11:49 PM
Also, technically, nothing stops you from teleporting from a prone position into a standing position, making it a swift action kip-up as well. Its ALSO good FOR chargers, allowing you to teleport back 10' and recharge a foe you charged the round before, allowing you to bring Shocktrooper et al into play multiple rounds in a row.

Another potential use for it is if you believe that skirmish is due to a change in location rather than personal movement. That would give you a cheap way to trigger skirmish on a full attack for 2 rounds per combat, assuming you swapped out your Anklets between encounters. At 1400g, it wouldn't be out of question for a 6th level character to have ~3 pairs, and they have no attunement period.

I buy at LEAST 1 pair on every character I create above 1st level who doesn't have the cash yet for Boots of Speed, and then, by the rules in the DMG, you could add Anklets to Boots of Speed for 2,100g additional bringing the total for Boots of Speed and Translocation to 14,100g.

AmberVael
2010-04-03, 11:54 PM
'Fraid not. You can only ready standard actions (and by extension, move actions).

Standard, Move, and Free, actually.
Not that that last one comes up very much.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-03, 11:55 PM
I have one combined with boots of landing (always land on your feet no matter how far you fall...including trips), a ring of entropic deflection (20% miss chance any time you end your turn 10' or more from where you started), and Shape Soulmeld: Phase Cloak (when bound to the shoulders, you go ethereal when you move 10' or more).

I go auto-ethereal when I teleport and can, essentially, teleport to the ethereal plane.

This has possibilities.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-03, 11:57 PM
'Fraid not. You can only ready standard actions (and by extension, move actions).

You can also ready move actions (which RAW may always be taken in place of a standard), and free actions (swift actions share the same timing.)

Draz74
2010-04-04, 12:01 AM
Also, technically, nothing stops you from teleporting from a prone position into a standing position, making it a swift action kip-up as well.

Though, for any character with 5 ranks of Balance, you might as well just spend 900 gp to add Boots of Agile Leaping magic to your footgear, so that you can kip-up as a swift action with no per-day limit.

Keld Denar
2010-04-04, 12:06 AM
Or just spend 1350g to add that to your uber boots too. Regardless, its not the primary function of the Anklets, but an added bonus when its important.

Besides, not everyone has skill points to blow on 5 ranks in Balance, especially if its cross class like it is for nearly all full BAB classes outside of Ranger.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-04, 12:15 AM
Though, for any character with 5 ranks of Balance, you might as well just spend 900 gp to add Boots of Agile Leaping magic to your footgear, so that you can kip-up as a swift action with no per-day limit.Boots of landing are better. No per-day limit, no action or ranks required, 400 gp less, AND knocks off 2 dice of damage from falls.

Nyeh.

Draz74
2010-04-04, 12:26 AM
Or just spend 1350g to add that to your uber boots too. Regardless, its not the primary function of the Anklets, but an added bonus when its important.
No, no, that 900 gp price tag was including the *1.5x cost. :smallamused: And technically it's not the "primary function" of the Boots of Agile Leaping either (although their "primary function" is only useful for very high-Dex characters).

Besides, not everyone has skill points to blow on 5 ranks in Balance, especially if its cross class like it is for nearly all full BAB classes outside of Ranger.
Ranger neither, actually. :smalltongue:

But now that most of my combative builds include at least a dip somewhere in Tome of Battle, I find that getting most of them 5 ranks in Balance isn't actually that much of a restriction. (The fact that it also keeps them from getting Grease/Sneak Attack'd is, of course, a significant perk.)

Boots of landing are better. No per-day limit, no action or ranks required, 400 gp less, AND knocks off 2 dice of damage from falls.

Only 100 gp cheaper ... and, more to the point, most DMs will rule that Boots of Landing don't work for preventing the prone condition. (Either by RAI, or by RAW by saying "the rules for getting 'knocked prone' don't actually use the word 'fall' at all.)

I stand by my assertion that Boots of Agile Leaping are the best 600-gp item in the game, and moderately competitive even with the Anklet of Translocation for low-level footgear coolness.

Keld Denar
2010-04-04, 12:37 AM
I dunno, Qual's Feather Token (Tree) is probably the coolest cheapo magic item ever. Cause seriously, is there ANY problem that an instant tree wherever you want can't solve? Even though its a 1-off item, the level of awesomeness to a truely creative person is staggering.

Anyway, back on topic...Ankets of Translocation are AWESOME. :P

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-04, 01:03 AM
I dunno, Qual's Feather Token (Tree) is probably the coolest cheapo magic item ever. Cause seriously, is there ANY problem that an instant tree wherever you want can't solve? Even though its a 1-off item, the level of awesomeness to a truely creative person is staggering.

Anyway, back on topic...Ankets of Translocation are AWESOME. :P

I like the Whip. As a low level item, it's pretty solid.

Frosty
2010-04-04, 01:54 AM
It's a rock solid item against a Crusader with Thicket of Blades, a Spiked-Chain, and the Mageslayer feat.

Darrin
2010-04-04, 10:22 AM
Are there greater anklets of translocation? Used as an immediate action, possibly? Maybe? Please?

Greaves of Aundair (5000 GP, Forge of War p. 124). +10 speed, and 3/day "immediately take a move action", but you're dazed until the end of your next turn. However, Quick Recovery (Lords of Madness) could help with that... DC 11, I think to avoid the daze.

From there, you can Shadow Stride (Martial Study feat, no prereqs other than IL, or use the Scholar version of the Shadow Hands discipline item) as a move action.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-04, 10:59 AM
Greaves of Aundair (5000 GP, Forge of War p. 124). +10 speed, and 3/day "immediately take a move action", but you're dazed until the end of your next turn. However, Quick Recovery (Lords of Madness) could help with that... DC 11, I think to avoid the daze.What is Forge of War, exactly?

Is it an Eberron supplement, or a module maybe?

Nevermind. Found it.