PDA

View Full Version : Metamorphosis and Will-O'-Wisp

sonofzeal
2010-04-03, 11:59 PM
Metamorphosis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metamorphosis.htm).

Will-O'-Wisp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/willOWisp.htm).

Questions

- Do I gain the +9 deflection bonus to AC?

- Can I still make the 2d8 electric touch attack?

- Natural Invisibility seems directly tied to the form as part of the "physical qualities" (paragraph five); any chance of that overriding the "no special qualities ever" (paragraph three)?

- Any special interaction with Unarmed Strike that I'm not seeing, or does it just work as normal with the new size?

- Are there any better high-AC forms of 12 HD or less to metamorph into?

sonofzeal
2010-04-04, 10:59 PM
Bonus question

- What do you think are the most awesome Metamorph forms of 12 HD or less, and uses they have? I already have Elsewhale (carry the rest of the party through water), Skybleeder (carry the rest of the party through air), and Dread Harpoon Spider / Limbo Stalker / Obsidian Ooze for combat forms. Any further suggestions? Coolness matters more than power, although a valuable niche use is important.

sonofzeal
2010-04-05, 03:39 PM
(last try)

Someone suggested that Deflection bonuses are always (Su) or otherwise magical. While this makes sense, it's not listed either way here and I can't find a citation. Any help?

The Glyphstone
2010-04-05, 04:04 PM
Most awesome form: A sandwich.

drakir_nosslin
2010-04-05, 04:16 PM
(last try)

Someone suggested that Deflection bonuses are always (Su) or otherwise magical. While this makes sense, it's not listed either way here and I can't find a citation. Any help?

Deflection Bonus
A deflection bonus affects Armor Class and is granted by a spell or magic effect that makes attacks veer off harmlessly. Deflection bonuses stack with all other bonuses to AC except other deflection bonuses. A deflection bonus applies against touch attacks.

Since it's magic, the most common type would be (Su). You might be able to find some exceptions, but it won't be easy.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-05, 07:08 PM
I can't answer about the deflection (I suspect it's natural, since it's not called out as anything else, but I can't prove it), but some awesome forms of 12 HD and below:

Roper. 12d8 points of Str damage can't be ignored. Plus you're a carnivorous tree; how cool is that.

Choker. Because being a super-speedy gremlin (courtesy of Metamorphic Transfer) just oozes creepiness awesome.

Cloaker. It's fun to get at-will spells as (Ex) attacks. Plus you can hide as clothing.

Pyro/Cryohydra. Those jets of fire are natural too, which means you don't need anything but stock-standard metamorphosis to use 'em. However, if the DM says they're breath weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#metamorphicTransfer)...

Rust monster and crysmal. Because dissolving metal and crystal is Fun For The Whole FamilyTM.

Mimic. You can hide as an object using Disguise (with a nice +10 bonus), auto-grapple things you hit with that tongue, and still cast? All while looking like an extradimensional chest with hundreds of freaky little legs? Yay!

Monstrous spider. Climbing and webbing are fun to play with, especially indoors.

Nightmare. If you're an outsider of some sort, this and Metamorphic Transfer can get you a few 9th level spells per day, if you want 'em.

Chain golem. Hooray for (Ex) blade barrier. But only if you (or your psicrystal) is a contruct. Hmm...

Shimmerling. They may come as a swarm, but you can emulate one of them if you extrapolate their stats. Fine size + flight + a huge Dex is quite nice for a sneaky, hard-to-hit form.

Pixie. Who needs LA when a single feat can nab you greater invisibility?

Human. You get the bonus feat, since you explicitly gain racial bonus feats. Grab a different one every time and have at it.

Elephant. Probably the highest carrying capacity you'll get at this level, what with Huge size, phenomenal Strength, and quadruped status. They also get their own trunk to store things in.

Dire weasel. Con drain is just dandy.

Ankheg. Good vs trolls, and can burrow without leaving a trail.

Dire badger. Can burrow while leaving a trail.

Land shark. Just because you can say you've got mind bulettes.

Puppeteer. If you have psionic charm, feel free to dominate it as well. You don't get host protection, but it shouldn't matter if you're hiding in your thrall's pants.

Beholder. Mmm...antimagic cone. Not to mention all those wonderful (Su) eye-rays...

Things with energy subtypes get energy immunity as a happy side-effect.

Also go for things with the [aquatic] subtype (for water breathing) and whatever movement modes you care for.

I'd suggest sarruhk (for obvious reasons), but someone would kill me.

There are tons of awesome forms out there. You just gotta know how to use 'em.

sonofzeal
2010-04-05, 11:07 PM
Also go for things with the [aquatic] subtype (for water breathing) and whatever movement modes you care for.
I'm currently planning on using an Elsewhale for that. It can hold its breath about twice as long as I can hold Metamorphosis, so that's fine, and it can also help the rest of the party go underwater too.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-05, 11:10 PM
I'm currently planning on using an Elsewhale for that. It can hold its breath about twice as long as I can hold Metamorphosis, so that's fine, and it can also help the rest of the party go underwater too.But how does that help when you're adventuring in an underwater shipwreck where an elsewhale can't fit, or in underwater caves, or you have to be out in the water fighting on the elemental plane of water?

Radiun
2010-04-05, 11:22 PM
But how does that help when you're adventuring in an underwater shipwreck where an elsewhale can't fit, or in underwater caves, or you have to be out in the water fighting on the elemental plane of water?

Then he should use Metamorphosis to become a Gnome Submersible form the Arms and Equipment Guide
Ok, maybe a quick Psychic Reformation to put your skills into Craft (Sub) and Profession(Submarine Operator), but it can work

The Rabbler
2010-04-05, 11:36 PM
I can't answer about the deflection (I suspect it's natural, since it's not called out as anything else, but I can't prove it), but some awesome forms of 12 HD and below:

Roper. 12d8 points of Str damage can't be ignored. Plus you're a carnivorous tree; how cool is that.

Choker. Because being a super-speedy gremlin (courtesy of Metamorphic Transfer) just oozes creepiness awesome.

Cloaker. It's fun to get at-will spells as (Ex) attacks. Plus you can hide as clothing.

Pyro/Cryohydra. Those jets of fire are natural too, which means you don't need anything but stock-standard metamorphosis to use 'em. However, if the DM says they're breath weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#metamorphicTransfer)...

Rust monster and crysmal. Because dissolving metal and crystal is Fun For The Whole FamilyTM.

Mimic. You can hide as an object using Disguise (with a nice +10 bonus), auto-grapple things you hit with that tongue, and still cast? All while looking like an extradimensional chest with hundreds of freaky little legs? Yay!

Monstrous spider. Climbing and webbing are fun to play with, especially indoors.

Nightmare. If you're an outsider of some sort, this and Metamorphic Transfer can get you a few 9th level spells per day, if you want 'em.

Chain golem. Hooray for (Ex) blade barrier. But only if you (or your psicrystal) is a contruct. Hmm...

Shimmerling. They may come as a swarm, but you can emulate one of them if you extrapolate their stats. Fine size + flight + a huge Dex is quite nice for a sneaky, hard-to-hit form.

Pixie. Who needs LA when a single feat can nab you greater invisibility?

Human. You get the bonus feat, since you explicitly gain racial bonus feats. Grab a different one every time and have at it.

Elephant. Probably the highest carrying capacity you'll get at this level, what with Huge size, phenomenal Strength, and quadruped status. They also get their own trunk to store things in.

Dire weasel. Con drain is just dandy.

Ankheg. Good vs trolls, and can burrow without leaving a trail.

Dire badger. Can burrow while leaving a trail.

Land shark. Just because you can say you've got mind bulettes.

Puppeteer. If you have psionic charm, feel free to dominate it as well. You don't get host protection, but it shouldn't matter if you're hiding in your thrall's pants.

Beholder. Mmm...antimagic cone. Not to mention all those wonderful (Su) eye-rays...

Things with energy subtypes get energy immunity as a happy side-effect.

I'd suggest sarruhk (for obvious reasons), but someone would kill me.

There are tons of awesome forms out there. You just gotta know how to use 'em.

you have officially given me a reason to play a caster: to make the most ultimately overpowered melee fighter! i can see it now: gestalt psion//warblade until I get metamorphosis then get all of the permanent superbuffs that make each creature a challenge. and I'm still a warblade. maybe throw in some sort of jade pehonix mage psionic variant for double IL through gestalt after psion 14 (or is it 15?).

(and in case my spoiler failed, I'm sorry for the super long quote)

EDIT: NATURAL 20!

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-06, 12:14 AM
you have officially given me a reason to play a caster: to make the most ultimately overpowered melee fighter! i can see it now: gestalt psion//warblade until I get metamorphosis then get all of the permanent superbuffs that make each creature a challenge. and I'm still a warblade. maybe throw in some sort of jade pehonix mage psionic variant for double IL through gestalt after psion 14 (or is it 15?).

EDIT: NATURAL 20!If you make it a The Big Guy Is With Me build (or even just take Psicrystal Affinity), you also have someone to tag-team with, and it gets all those yummy psicrystal granted abilities regardless of form (see: natural armor and flight).

Make sure to craft some psychoactive skins of proteus for utility and defensive/sneaky forms, soon as you possibly can.

sonofzeal
2010-04-06, 01:20 AM

EDIT: NATURAL 20!
.....well yeah, Gestalt + polymorph = wins. Fitting it into a non-gestalt game can take some work though, as most of the ways to get Polymorph put you significantly behind in HD/BAB.

I'm doing it the Tashalatora Mantled PsiWar route, which actually works pretty well. Getting all those Monk goodies on top of Elsewhale stats is pretty badass. Unarmed Strike can be made with any body shape, and with the way dice scale I get a lot of mileage out of size boosts (every size above Large is giving me +2d8 damage on each of four attacks). Monk AC bonus also helps a lot, especially with Inertial Armor carrying over to the new form, and the result is a really effective tank with impressive damage output for a medium-optimization game. Elsewhale isn't even one of my combat forms, but it's a bit too good to be true already.

The other ways I know are Egoist->Slayer, Hexblade, Duskblade with Arcane Disciple for Transformation Domain, Battle Sorcerer, or straight-up Cleric with the Transformation Domain.