PDA

View Full Version : Cheaply turning objects into creatures

Trekkin
2010-04-04, 01:39 AM
This thread relates to Lycanthromancer's earlier observation that corpses are objects and can therefore be fabricated. I am attempting to find a means of taking that further, Fabricating temporarily dead tissue and reattaching it to living Thrallherd-provided thralls as a means of producing more effective fighters (for instance, grow them a new exoskeleton). Obviously the harvesting of dead tissue is straightforward, as is the fabrication, but the reattachment is not, primarily because a lot of the revivify-esque powers have an XP cost and raising them as zombies makes them vulnerable to turning, leaving the prospective thrallherd with a choice between XP loss, necrosis, and undeath.

In short, is there an XP-free way to either reattach dead tissue to a creature or revive a creature, however incompletely, from the dead?

Chrono22
2010-04-04, 02:39 AM
No, but I think there might be a psionics exploit that lets you avoid suffering permanent experience loss due to experience costs. I forget which, but it's something like:
you split your mind in two, and put one in some kind of container. You use the double (fake) copy of your mind to pay the experience costs.

Coidzor
2010-04-04, 03:37 AM
I believe there's either a low XP or XP-free way of bringing a character back to life within 1-6 rounds. Spell Compendium is probably the source on the spell.

It also has spells in there for bringing outsiders and undead back after they're destroyed.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-04, 04:23 AM
Revivify is the spell.

Alternately, Thought Bottle can minimize the cost.

Tyrmatt
2010-04-04, 05:56 AM
Liquid Pain is always a fun one. Assuming you don't mind setting up a torture farm.
Or theres also Liquid Joy (?). I remember someone setting up what was basically a permanent orgy to fuel the creation of this XP mitigating substance.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-04, 05:58 AM
Liquid Pain is always a fun one. Assuming you don't mind setting up a torture farm.
Or theres also Liquid Joy (?). I remember someone setting up what was basically a permanent orgy to fuel the creation of this XP mitigating substance.

Depending on how much BoEF is used, you could likely extract both at once.

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-04, 06:13 AM
Depending on how much BoEF is used, you could likely extract both at once.

All hail slaanesh?

Jack_Simth
2010-04-04, 08:11 AM
No, but I think there might be a psionics exploit that lets you avoid suffering permanent experience loss due to experience costs. I forget which, but it's something like:
you split your mind in two, and put one in some kind of container. You use the double (fake) copy of your mind to pay the experience costs.
Ah, Fission (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fission.htm). Huh, never thought of using the duplicate that way. Interesting.

elonin
2010-04-04, 08:55 AM
Using Fission wouldn't work to get around xp costs. The xp cost would be considered part of ability damage etc.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-04, 10:08 AM
It's not exactly what you wanted, but...

You can manifest mind switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitch.htm) before casting magic jar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/MagicJar.htm), manifesting metamorphosis or polymorph, manifesting astral seed, then killing yourself. You return to your original body, the minion dies and becomes an astral seed, remakes its body into whatever it was when it was seeded, then comes back some time later.

Though I guess you could polymorph any object the creature into a corpse, fabricate it into whatever you want, then dismiss the PAO. Not sure if this would work.

There's always magic jar, then casting that spell that makes you count as undead for the purposes of spells and such, then casting haunt shift into a specially-prepared object (read, fabricated corpse), then swapping minds via magic jar. Requires you to kill a third creature, however (not like this is an issue, though, really). Just make sure you have a reasonable way to get a permanent gentle repose or somesuch.

[edit] Also, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psionicRevivify.htm