PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a new Feat: Adept Paths [PEACH]

Slayn82
2010-04-04, 08:49 AM
Hello to all.

Im DMing a campaign to some friends, and due to the characther concept for one of the submited PC's, i've been thinkering with the following proposal for a feat.

Adept Paths
Requisites: Wis 13+, this feat can be choosen only at the first level

Description: Despite having decided to follow another path in your life, you still have a strong bond and understanding to the path of the misticism.

Effect: You have an inner affinity to some limited magic. You can use spells contained in spell trigger items (like wands or staffs) or divine scrolls/spell complement items contained in the adept list as an adept of your characther level. All the other restrictions to the use of the items apply as usual.

Also, the skills Concentration, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge, Spellcraft and Survival are always considered class skills for you.

Opinions, critics? Is it balanced enought?

herbe
2010-04-04, 09:07 AM
First of all, this feat allow to use magic items that use spells from adept list. Am i right, if yes this isnt balanced because a fighter get spells via magic item( especially healing spells which could be overpowered).
Secondly, it grant too much class skill compare to this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Cross-Class_Learning_(3.5e_Feat)).
okay that a drawback that you can choose it only at 1st level.

Opinion

Adept Paths
Prequisites: Wis 13+, this feat can be choosen only at the first level

Description: Despite having decided to follow another path in your life, you still have a strong bond and understanding to the path of the misticism.

Benefit: You have an inner affinity to some limited magic. You can use spells contained in spell trigger items (like wands or staffs) or divine scrolls/spell complement items contained in the adept list as an adept of your half character level. All the other restrictions to the use of the items apply as usual. Knowledge(nature) or Survival is always considered class skill for you.

Fizban
2010-04-05, 04:26 AM
They basically have this exact feat in the Player's Guide to Faerun. It only works on spell trigger items but is otherwise strictly better. So the question here is if it's okay to activate scrolls (and have a caster level for doing so) with a feat, and I think the answer is yes.

Eldan
2010-04-05, 06:08 AM
How about you just make it a feat that gives you Use Magic Device as a class skill and gives you a small bonus to it? No one would complain that it's overpowered, and it would still require skill point investment.

Ashtagon
2010-04-05, 06:19 AM
How about you just make it a feat that gives you Use Magic Device as a class skill and gives you a small bonus to it? No one would complain that it's overpowered, and it would still require skill point investment.

That's a great idea. We need a name for this feat. How about Skill Focus (Use Magic Device)? :smalltongue:

More seriously, for this feat, I'd suggest this:

When making a UMD skill check to emulate the ability to cast a spell, if that spell would be available to a single-class adept of your character level, you automatically succeed at emulating the spell.

A more restrictive version of the same general idea:

When making a UMD skill check, you gain a +4 bonus on rolls to emulate the ability to cast a spell that appears on the adept spell list.

Note that this second version would stack with Skill Focus (+7 total bonus), but only applies to a restricted range of functions for the UMD skill. With either of these versions, I'd make UMD an automatic class skill with the feat.