PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Magic items: are these fair/math check please

Ianuagonde
2010-04-04, 09:44 AM
A couple of players in my group want the following items from Magic R Us. I would like to know if the math is correct. Also, I would like to know if you consider these items too powerful when compared to those in the DMG.

The first two are created using the rules in MIC: when combining two seperate items who share a slot, add the cost of the cheapest times 1,5 to the most expensive.
1) Healing belt of giant strength +6: 750 x 1,5 +36000 = 37125 gp.
2) Gloves of starry sky & dex +6: 1100 x 1,5 + 36000= 37650 gp.
The third uses just the DMG rules for a custom magic item
3) Ring of continual Bless Weapon: spell level 1 x min caster level 2 x 2000 gp x 2 = 8000 gp.

The third one seems a bit...much. When compared to the Ring of Flesh Scorn (an amulet from MIC that also costs 8000), you lose the ability to use the crit confirm against everyone. But the ring is not limited to 3x/day, and gives your weapons good alignment. It only works on evil opponents though...

Power level of the group: level 15. Fighters and blaster wizards are valuable additions to the party. None of the melee characters has Power Attack. The druid with Natural Spell uses this about 5% of the time. One player tried Shivering Touch in a dragon-heavy adventure, and the spell got banned. The others didn't know what Shivering Touch was.

I would value your collective wisdom. Thank you.

jseah
2010-04-04, 10:30 AM
The ring of bless weapon probably should be on the weapon itself. (you can use anything as a wondrous item base, including weapons)

Call it blessed blade or something. Won't be broken then since it only works for 1 thing. (and +x cost enchantments exists. Many are better than this)

This is borne out by the target line, bless weapon must be cast on a weapon, not the wielder. Hard to justify a ring for that.

sonofzeal
2010-04-04, 10:33 AM
The "x1.5" rule has been largely scrapped by MIC. See page 234 for details.

jokey665
2010-04-04, 10:34 AM

In most cases, if the item is one that occupies a body slot, the
cost of adding any additional ability to that item is 1-1/2 times the
value of the added power (or the value of the added power plus 1/2
the value of the existing item, if the added power normally costs
more than the existing item)
10characters

Curmudgeon
2010-04-04, 10:57 AM
I'd say "largely scrapped" is quite the exaggeration. There's a single page table of specific boosts that don't include that cost multiplier if they're in particular body slots. A list of exceptions doesn't override the general cost rule.

tyckspoon
2010-04-04, 12:24 PM

Specifically, it was scrapped for adding in fundamental necessary enhancements like AC and stat boosts. So you can do Belt of Healing and then add Strength +6 to that for no extra cost, but if you do it the other way around- a Belt of Giant Strength that you want to have the properties of a Belt of Healing- you pay extra for the healing. The cost difference on that particular setup is pretty trivial at level 15, but it's there. For the most part you don't have to worry about balance concerns when combining pre-printed items like this (unless one of the items is already broken, in which case it'll still be broken regardless of what you tag it on to.)

Items made from scratch are usually just bad ideas, especially continual-effect ones (ref. Ring of Continual Wraithstrike, Hunter's Mercy, Animal's Buff instead of buying the usual +4 item) I would change it to an unlimited charge Command Word item, at least, so he has to spend an action when he wants to have it up. Or maybe a Holy Weapon Augment Crystal; a Lesser version would be appropriate for Bless Weapon, I think, and would carry the opportunity cost of blocking that space from another augment crystal (if you're running with MIC, I assume your players have discovered the awesomeness of augment crystals.)

ericgrau
2010-04-04, 12:37 PM
The ring of bless weapon is problematic. It needs to be X/day command word activated or a +X equivalent weapon enchantment (probably +1). Making such a thing continuous without a scaling cost as the weapon gets stronger is a way to circumvent paying full price for a benefit, when the entire purpose of the magic item creation guidelines is to help you figure out the fair price. Not to find a way around paying the fair price.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-04, 12:38 PM
A couple of players in my group want the following items from Magic R Us. I would like to know if the math is correct. Also, I would like to know if you consider these items too powerful when compared to those in the DMG.

The first two are created using the rules in MIC: when combining two seperate items who share a slot, add the cost of the cheapest times 1,5 to the most expensive.
1) Healing belt of giant strength +6: 750 x 1,5 +36000 = 37125 gp.MIC has rules for adding common effects to items. One is Str +6, and can be added at no additional cost. Value: 36750gp.

2) Gloves of starry sky & dex +6: 1100 x 1,5 + 36000= 37650 gp.See above. 37150gp.

The third uses just the DMG rules for a custom magic item
3) Ring of continual Bless Weapon: spell level 1 x min caster level 2 x 2000 gp x 2 = 8000 gp.Seems a bit cheap. It's about the right price if you wanted it at will, not for "always on". Especially since, if it was on the ring, it would apply to all weapons, whereas without, you have to select between weapons and other actions. With the impression that you always have it up outside of combat when awake, you can roll 1d10 at the start of combats for how many rounds remain.

Still, not overpowering, but let the group know you will estimate items on a case by case basis.

I'd say "largely scrapped" is quite the exaggeration. There's a single page table of specific boosts that don't include that cost multiplier if they're in particular body slots. A list of exceptions doesn't override the general cost rule.
In this instance, all items fall within the proper body slots, which renders this more a splitting of the hairs.

And "Largely scrapped" means that it's not difficult to get any of the common effects listed on that table that you want without incurring the extra cost. This is true. "completely scrapped" or "scrapped", you'd have a point. But "largely" is not "completely", indicating that there are situations where it does still apply.

However, that's when an item creator consciously makes the choice to make their life more difficult and incur extra costs.

Ianuagonde
2010-04-04, 01:11 PM
Specifically, it was scrapped for adding in fundamental necessary enhancements like AC and stat boosts.

I completely missed that. Thanks for pointing it out everyone.

As for the ring, I'll talk to my player. I like the weapon crystal idea especially. Thank you all!