PDA

View Full Version : World of Darkness: Myths About Monsters

StoryKeeper
2010-04-04, 11:02 AM
Ok, guys. Looks like I'll be playing a Loyalist of Thule in a Hunter game soon, which means I should have a fairly good grasp of the nature of the supernatural things in the world of darkness. Problem is, this will be my first actual game, and I don't know much about any of the monsters other than those in the Changeling book. What I need from you guys is just a list of fun facts about how certain monsters "work."

For instance, garlic, I imagine doesn't work against vampires, but fire is great for some reason, right? How about silver for werewolves? Stuff like that.

comicshorse
2010-04-04, 11:09 AM
Well what you know really depends on your G.M. You may have Occult 5 ( and if you don't you will know less than nothing) but even then what is standard knowledge in occult texts may still not be the truth dure to misinterpretation or deliberate disinformation by the mosters.
If you've been briefed by other Hunters with actual field experience that will be much more valuable but again this will depend on the G.M.
You need to find out what he considers suitable for your chatracters skills and background first

Aron Times
2010-04-04, 02:03 PM
All you need is a trusty shotgun. For vampires, use flamethrower shells. For werewolves, use silver shells. For changelings, use cold iron shells. For everything else, there's Mastercard.

Mauther
2010-04-05, 03:17 PM
As stated by comicshorse, you'll need to get with your DM on exactly what you know. A cornerstone of Hunter games is the lack of knowledge starting hunters have about the supernatural. Even Thule's, are fairly limited, although they do tend to be more in the know than your average "I-saw-a-ghost-once" hunter. Since your already familiar with Changeling, I'd say make a Thule who's learned a bit about Changeling but is largely ignorant about the rest of the supernatural. Maybe be in the know enough to figure out that most of the traditional weapons (crosses, wolfsbane, deadman's blood, running water, etc) don't really work. One lesson most hunters learn early is that massive trauma (fire, chainsaws, decapitation) seems to hurt all creatures to one extent or another.

lightningcat
2010-04-05, 05:11 PM
Best way to deal with any supernatural creature:
1) piss of a werewolf
2) frame your target
3) leave town for awhile
4) clean up mess

Step 2 is the most important. Otherwise someone else clean you up off the sidewalk.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-05, 05:31 PM
Best way to deal with any supernatural creature:
1) piss of a werewolf
2) frame your target
3) leave town for awhile
4) Shudder in horror as you come back to find the werewolf horribly mutilated with a message left by said supernatural creature written with it's internal organs.

Some GM's don't appreciate it when you try to subvert their plot. :smallwink:

Semidi
2010-04-05, 06:15 PM
Information about monsters:
Vampires:
Kill 'em with fire.
Sunlight hurts too.
Bladed weapons work well.
Guns don't work nearly as well. However, a headshot with a high caliber weapon works wonders.
Stakes incapacitate vampires.

Werewolves:
Kill 'em with silver

Mages:
Kill em at long ranges in public places.
When fighting mages start with the assumption that they know absolutely everything about you or at least can figure it out.
Can wreck your **** at any time they want.

Realistically, a new hunter wouldn't know any of this stuff. Some basic knowledge you might know with loads of occult might be something like this:

vampires:
Don't go out in the day
They seem to be afraid of fire
Are social predators
Influence mortals

Werewolves:
deeply territorial
silver works against them

Mages:
Use magic

Also, even if you do have high occult toss in misinformation. Part of the charm about hunter is that even the most knowledgeable of hunters are fairly ignorant when it comes to the nuts and bolts of what they're fighting. Experienced hunters (who have lived long enough to become experienced) have usually learned through trial and error what does and does not work.

StoryKeeper
2010-04-05, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys. :) I'll be sure to keep those basics in mind, but I'll remember that my guy probably won't know much at the same time.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-05, 07:24 PM
Mages:
Use magic

O rly?:smallbiggrin:

I'd at least give something useful along the lines of the other two supernatural examples - say, 'Mages: typically indistinguishable from ordinary mortals except when they're using freaky mojo."

It'd be an important thing to know, even for a newbie, that if you're going out hunting mages, anyone could be a mage. And likely capable of killing you. No, you don't need to be paranoid, because if they know you exist, of course they're watching you.